Master's program and application timeline question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjb2068

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've asked around and received several different answers so I wanted to see if anyone has experience in this matter. I'm currently deciding whether to apply for the Spring 2017 term or Summer/Fall 2017 term for Master's/post bacc programs.

Will I be able to apply for the next cycle if I started a program in the spring or do adcoms usually like to see that I completed the program before applying?

I have already taken 1.5 year off school after graduating so I would like to apply as soon as possible. However, I am currently working as a research assistant so if I am unable to apply next cycle (if adcoms want to see that I completed the program), I would like to continue working until next summer/fall and save up money for applications/tuition and apply then.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This depends ultimately on what your application looks like without that Master's program. Primarily, what does your GPA look like? Do you have around a low 3 for your overall and science? If yes, then you might be able to get away with applying during your program. Schools might wait to look at your application until your first semester's grades are in, but you will be in good shape if you do well.

If your GPA is absolutely awful (less than 3), you should do the entire program before applying. Think about it: if you're applying with a 2.7 GPA and all you have to show is that you're working on grad school (but have no grades yet), this doesn't make you a competitive applicant. If you complete the program with flying colors and apply, you are in a completely different position. For example, Rutgers won't consider applicants from its masters program until they have completed it.

Of course, there are a million factors in admissions, and there are no hard rules about these things. These are just general trends. If you have the money and think your application is in good shape otherwise, by all means apply.

Reactions: 1 users
This depends ultimately on what your application looks like without that Master's program. Primarily, what does your GPA look like? Do you have around a low 3 for your overall and science? If yes, then you might be able to get away with applying during your program. Schools might wait to look at your application until your first semester's grades are in, but you will be in good shape if you do well.

If your GPA is absolutely awful (less than 3), you should do the entire program before applying. Think about it: if you're applying with a 2.7 GPA and all you have to show is that you're working on grad school (but have no grades yet), this doesn't make you a competitive applicant. If you complete the program with flying colors and apply, you are in a completely different position. For example, Rutgers won't consider applicants from its masters program until they have completed it.

Of course, there are a million factors in admissions, and there are no hard rules about these things. These are just general trends. If you have the money and think your application is in good shape otherwise, by all means apply.

What this person said. You need at least two semesters completed. Look at University of Buffalo for instance. So basically, 2-3 semesters and apply. You'll probably graduate by then or almost be done (depending on the program and if it includes a thesis).

Reactions: 1 user