Match 2014 Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I havent heard OSU to be malignant.. any ideas on why they had 4 spots not fill?

There is also a negative review of OSU on scutwork. Not as bad as Rush but still. People have limited pools of information to draw upon when applying/interviewing and everyone is nervous that they are being sold only the nice version of the program at an interview. I think UT Houston actually did an excellent job of addressing the negative reviews of the programs directly and stated concrete things they were doing to improve the program. It must have worked because they are a huge program and filled all of their positions.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most PDs have a knee-jerk reaction when they read negative reviews on the Internet; instead of realizing that there is no smoke without fire, they try to use mirrors to make the smoke seem prettier, while gagging any (potential) whistleblowers.

Would be interesting to see if Rush had to make up the numbers with IMGs (I'm one, BTW) - heck, especially as their 'poor' relations next door came out of the match looking good this year!

Last edited:
Interviewed at Rush this year and ranked them last. Not surprised to see so many unfilled spots. I have no doubt that their residents get great training but it just wasn't a happy place. Residents were worn out and couldn't feign much enthusiasm about their program.

With so many other places around the country, and even in Chicago, offering great training and a collegial atmosphere they are going to have to make some major changes to attract quality applicants. UTHouston is a great example of a program that has done so.

Last edited:
Anything on these programs?

UMass - 7
Maryland - 6
Henry Ford - 4

UMass - 7
Maryland - 6
Henry Ford - 4

I interviewed at UMass, but honestly, didn't see anything too bad that turned me away from them. Their didactics have been in question and they recently switched to a model where all their lecture hours are in one AM block, one day a week. I spoke to others who had interviewed there (after the results were released) and from their perspective, the residents appeared overworked and exhausted when they met them, though they felt there wasn't enough time to spend with the residents on the interview day. Again, I didn't quite get those impressions, but that's what others I spoke with felt.

Utah is so confusing. They have a very strong department. I met their chair when I interviewed for pain there and he seemed like an excellent chair. The pain dept is great as well.

I liked Utah a lot and ranked them highly. Very friendly attendings and residents. Maybe people were turned off by the location?

I liked Utah a lot and ranked them highly. Very friendly attendings and residents. Maybe people were turned off by the location?

When I applied, it was the sense that I got that it was leaning towards more of a workhorse programming. I thought the training would be great, notably the echo, but the residents looked/sounded a bit exhausted.

I think most people applying to Utah have a sense of what Salt Lake City is like (I would hope so).

Wow didn't expect UF to have 6 unfilled. Awesome program/people and ranked it in my top 3 but I loved Mayo Jacksonville a little more in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied, it was the sense that I got that it was leaning towards more of a workhorse programming. I thought the training would be great, notably the echo, but the residents looked/sounded a bit exhausted.

I think most people applying to Utah have a sense of what Salt Lake City is like (I would hope so).
I agree--when I interviewed there, I couldn't get past the fact that all of the residents looked dead tired.

Last edited:
I agree--when I interviewed there, I couldn't get past the fact that all of the residents looked dead tired.
I know they ski and rock climb a lot there. They tout work hours of 55-60/week. They even have a rock band that plays for some of their parties and residents play in the band. If they looked tired and did not have all those other things going on, I guess I would be worried, but they all seemed engaged and upbeat, honest about their mission in life - to get the most out of training.

Their PD was a huge b to me when me was a student. me had attended a NYSSA meeting and was directed to a designated student area. Halfway through the day, she told me me shouldn't be there as a DO student from out-of-state. Really classy.
Well, she is no longer PD. That could have helped. Also, did you speak like Tarzan when you spoke to her as well?

Their PD was a huge b to me when me was a student. me had attended a NYSSA meeting and was directed to a designated student area. Halfway through the day, she told me me shouldn't be there as a DO student from out-of-state. Really classy.
Sorry about the Tarzan reference. Just noticed SDN changed it for the holiday that occurs on this date every year.

SUNY Downstate filled all their positions this year?
I had a feeling it would. There were so many bad stories circulating about the old PD. She stepped down from that position in January. And based on the bad press she got, I'm sure any change would be an improvement.

thar be also a negative review of OSU on scutwork. Not as bad as Rush but still. People have limited pools of information to draw upon when applyin'/interviewin' and everyone be nervous that they be bein' sold only the nice version of the program at an interview. me think UT Houston actually did an excellent job of addressin' the negative reviews of the programs directly and stated concrete things they were doin' to improve the program. It must have worked because they be a huge program and filled all of their positions.

I found out about OSU. They are building a new hospital and rec'd approval to add 4 more residency positions after whatever deadline to add them to the match. So the PD decided to just deal with them afterwards. Thats why there were 4 spots in the SOAP.

Can anyone else comment on why they think UF had 6 open spots? Did anyone here interview there? This is a program I have been seriously considering....

Can anyone else comment on why they think UF had 6 open spots? Did anyone here interview there? This is a program I have been seriously considering....

The training at UF is strong. But it your residency program is in the middle of nowhere, it better be Cush or have a big name if you want to attract residents. UF isn't a big top tier name and has a reputation of working residents hard, that, plus small town = not always filling.

I've also heard that they THINK they're in the same league as wake, vandy, duke, and some of the other big name southern programs. So they aren't interviewing enough 'less competitive' applicants in order to fill.

Anyone have a theory about Tufts not filling? I didn't see any warning signals on interview day.

Anyone have a theory about Tufts not filling? I didn't see any warning signals on interview day.
I don't think one spot not filling is that big of a deal. Might not have interviewed enough applicants, or decided not to rank everybody and take a chance with SOAP.

Anybody have Oklahoma's match list results?

Programs can BS their way to filling a class. Happens all the time.

Those who are honest, fail to address issues, or are simply overly competitive and don't interview many or rank everyone will be the ones who fail to fill.

UMass - 7
Maryland - 6
Henry Ford - 4

I am a Henry Ford anesthesia intern - I looked at the pictures of the new interns for 2014 and there's 12 of them, same as my year. Each of our classes has 12 people in it, although our CA-3s have 13. I don't know how to access the program-specific unmatched lists so I could be missing something here - 12 is such a common number for this year and previous years that I am not sure if positions really are going unfilled or not.

I am a Henry Ford anesthesia intern - I looked at the pictures of the new interns for 2014 and there's 12 of them, same as my year. Each of our classes has 12 people in it, although our CA-3s have 13. I don't know how to access the program-specific unmatched lists so I could be missing something here - 12 is such a common number for this year and previous years that I am not sure if positions really are going unfilled or not.

Last edited:
i interviewed here. amazing program. amazing residents and PD. I LOVED IT. But i ranked the place family was higher. And i was scared of moving to gainesville as a single lady in her late 20s

When I interviewed two years ago I wanted to like UF. I am from an hour south of there. Was really obvious it was a work horse program. Most important question in my mind when interviewing is whether you are a cog in the wheel of the work force and they need you to get the surgeries done regardless of whether it jeopardizes your reading/didacticism/etc. OR is the focus on education where you sit the most educational cases, get relieved for lectures and reading at a normal time (tough to read getting home at 8 pm when you have to be back at 6:00am), and can stay in the case if you feel like it's been a really good case to learn from. This is essential in my mind to good training. University of Florida was the former, the program I am going to is the latter. I am here for an education and the emphasis is clearly on that and not on me being an OR scut monkey.

Congrats to all who matched. Despite what some of the naysayers may think, you picked a great field. I could not see myself doing anything else

I believe you meant section 4.3 on page 16...

For the lazy:

"4.3 Restrictions on Use of Match Information
Communication between unmatched applicants and programs with
unfilled positions shall be governed by Section 7.0 of this Agreement.
Matched applicants and programs may not contact each other prior to the
general announcement of Main Residency Match results at 1:00 p.m.
eastern time on Friday of Match Week.
It is a violation of this Agreement if any applicant or program shares any
Match information from the R3 system, including but not limited to,
information from the List of Unfilled Programs and Regional Match
Statistics, with any individual who is not registered for the Match or allows
an individual who is not registered for the Match to use the registrant’s
unique code number and password to access the R3 system to obtain
Match information. In addition, it is a violation of this Agreement if any
Match information from the R3 system, including information from the List
of Unfilled Programs and Regional Match Statistics, is distributed or
posted by any applicant or program to any web site or non- NRMP-related
matching plan.
If the NRMP initiates a violation investigation, it shall
follow the procedures set forth in Section 8.0 of this Agreement."

NRMP will hunt you down for any disclosure from R3, even after match week. It is impossible to overstate the zealousness with which the NRMP will prosecute perceived match violations. I have firsthand battle experience.