MCAT and Delayed Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vb66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a question about how long your MCAT scores are good for. I wrote the MCAT on the 17th of April with the plan of possibly writing it again in June and then applying this summer. However I recently came to the decision to take a year off after I graduate in Spring 2011 and take a shot at training for my sport full time and see if I can make the 2014 Olympics. I was wondering if any of you know how long MCAT scores are good for? If they're only good for one or two years it wouldn't be worth me retaking in June because I know I won't be applying for a nother few years.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure schools differ on how long the MCAT is good for, but I think for most of them it is 3 years. I would just check with the schools you are thinking of applying to. If it is 3, then you might only have 1 year with that score, and so you may have to retake if you have to reapply. Good luck with your training!

3 years to the date at almost all schools (for a small handful of programs, 2 or 5, so definitely check with the schools you are interested in). 3 is pretty standard though.

Hi everyone

I have a question about how long your MCAT scores are good for. I wrote the MCAT on the 17th of April with the plan of possibly writing it again in June and then applying this summer. However I recently came to the decision to take a year off after I graduate in Spring 2011 and take a shot at training for my sport full time and see if I can make the 2014 Olympics. I was wondering if any of you know how long MCAT scores are good for? If they're only good for one or two years it wouldn't be worth me retaking in June because I know I won't be applying for a nother few years.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I'll look into the different schools I am planning on applying to. Do you think it would be 3 years to the year I apply or 3 years to the year I would be entering med school?