MCAT Prep for non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fudge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey fellow non-trads. I'd like to get some tips from those who got competitive MCAT scores. I know I could refer to the 30+ scores forum but I feel I'm in a different boat considering I'm a non-trad. Basically, what books did you guys use and how long did you study for? Was it better to spread out studying over a couple of months for a few hours a day or go full force (8 hours or more)for a month or two?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non-trad whose been out of school for 5 years and did all my pre-reqs way back then. I'm doing the Kaplan course, the price is steep, but I've really liked all the online content. Their books are pretty helpful for content review. I've been studying since the end of January (done with content review now) and take the MCAT May 28. I've been using the weekends to take full lengths and review them (this requires a big chunk of time), but otherwise I find it useful to study in blocks of a couple hours per day. I still have one month to go and right now I'm feeling really burnt out.

I took TPR for my prep. If I had it to do again I would have just gotten the books from ebay/friend and bought the online tests. I did the best work on my own at home. My schedule

m-th:
wake up at 7a, coffee/bfast
hit the books at 8a, two hours per subject with one hour break in between
8-10a Physical
10-11 break
11-1p Verbal
1-2 break
2-4 bio
4-5 break
5-7 practice writing/or more verbal
7-9 break
9-11 physical

**I rotated the subject after 5pm by need.

Fri
Practice test then afternoon off

Sat
Post test analysis and review with special emphasis on verbal mistakes, and more content review

Sun
Flash cards only

I also got the exam krackers audio osmosis cds and loaded that into my iPOD. I listened to science lectures during off times, like at the gym, grocery store, etc. I don't recommend the verbal strategy on the cds.

Repeat for 7 weeks, This schedule kept me from getting burned out.

I got a 31Q 10/11/10

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed all my pre-reqs except organic 10+ years before I took the MCAT. I took organic Fall2007/Spring2008.

I used the ExamKrackers system and began my review June 1 for an August 15th MCAT date. I reviewed for 10 weeks, covering the topics in the order suggested by the EK study schedule. I did 2 full length exams on the two weekends preceding my MCAT date. With three small children, my time was severely constrained. I usually got in 2-3 hours on a weekend morning - husband took the kids out of the house and maybe an additional 2-3 hours on a weekday evening.

I got a 36S (11P 14V 11B) and averaged 33 on my practise MCAT exams.

I'm a non-trad who hadn't done some of the prereqs (physics, ochem) before taking the MCAT. I got a 40S (12-13-15) and credit my success to 2 things: the Princeton Review and working part time. Going to a class helped me stay on schedule, even though the instruction was mediocre. I found the materials straightforward and gained a lot from doing every single practice question in the book. I had a Kaplan ochem book that I used as a supplement because I didn't understand everything in TPR. If you are more disciplined than me maybe you could do it on your own, but I know I couldn't have.

Not everyone can afford to work part time, but I'm glad I did it. I spent a few hours most days at a coffee shop in addition to the class time. That was over a period of three months. I bought the owner a six-pack when I got my grade back.

I used all five of the EK books (Physics, Gen Chem, OChem, Bio, Verbal) along with all of the AAMC practice tests. My schedule was mostly a modified version of the EK 'guide', five days a week spread out over ~2.5 months. I made sure to take an AAMC practice test once every two weekends, and then spread out the EK stuff around that. Each MCAT 'session' was at a bookstore or coffee shop, lasting around 2 hours. I also left about two weeks open before test day to go over any material where I wasn't performing up to my expectations/buffer for unexpected busy time, which came in handy.

I was working full-time and taking a class while I was studying, if I had more time I would have considered a Kaplan/TPR program to ensure I would stay on schedule. But I did better than expected (38S - 12BS, 12PS, 14VR), so I obviously have no regrets!

I agree with dreamofspring -- if you're unsure that you have the discipline to stick to a rigorous schedule months before test day, then an official class may be a better option.

hey, thanks for the feedback. You guys really inspired me. It's comforting to know a high score is possible without recent science courses. I'd better hit the books:)

wow....looking at these scores kinda makes me wish I had started earlier. You guys ROCK!

what do you guys suggest for somene who is just starting pre-reqs this fall and not planning on on taking MCAT till may 2010? Im afraid ill start studying too early and burn out...also are there study guides that emphasize content instead of technique?

I took TPR in class and loved it because it kept me on track with studying, while studying for the MCAT i worked my normal 32hours a wk and was taking orgo and physics.. so i definitely needed a kick in the rear to keep on track. after orgo and physics ended i had a month and a half to study hard core. If you can get a hyperlearning book (which emphasizes content and learning how to do passages at the same time) and finish it. by the end, if you've went over all the questions you got wrong and understand the concepts behind the questions you should easily score 12's in both bio and physical sections. by the end i felt burned out... i think when you prepare properly you should start to feel burned out in the end and have a feeling that you just want to take the test. I took a day to relax before my test and ended in the upper range of my practice averages.

Working + MCAT + prerequs is no small thing but im estatic that i pulled through with a 35 (never thought i'd ever get a 33+ when i first started studying). Took the Jan 31st test

I'm graduating in two weeks and let me tell you, this is not how I expected to come out. I wanted to apply to med school, but I didn't feel my application was strong enough, so I will be applying to jobs soon. You guys really inspired me with how much you guys went through to get such a perfect score (to me it is at least). Good luck to you all here on this thread. I plan to retake my mcat (as a personal goal) and actually apply. Hopefully I'll get lucky. :p

Basically, what books did you guys use and how long did you study for? Was it better to spread out studying over a couple of months for a few hours a day or go full force (8 hours or more)for a month or two?

In the MCAT forum, they often discuss the best combinations of books for best results. That's a good spot to find the answer to your first question. Check out this thread.

As far as being in a different boat as a non-traditional, I've come to learn that it often is a better boat. Over the years I've taught (about six total), about twenty percent of my students were post-bac students of some sort. I found that they were more driven, attended office hours more religiously, had their questions formulated more clearly, and basically attacked the exam with a greater sense of purpose than the average student. While it might be the nature of the post-bac student who chooses a teaching intensive course to seek out individual help more readily than the average college student, I also think they handle the pressure better (more life experiences).

So how you study for this exams is specific to you. I tend to think that if you have a good foundation knowledge (not perfect, but you once knew most of the material), then six weeks of review followed by two to three weeks of taking practice tests will work well. If you are not so sure of your information, then you'll need a little more time to review. If you are a natural test taker, then you can probably be ready with one to two weeks of taking practices test (after your review).

Also, whether you take a course or study on your own plays a big role in how you prepare. With a course, you'll have a tendency to follow their lead. On your own, you can mix it up so that you speed through the topics you know well and can concentrate more time on the subjects that concern you. Whatever you choose to do, just know that what works for others might need to be modified a little to work for you. Good luck!