MCAT TEST DAY DISASTER... WHAT TO DO NOW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whittyo678

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I wanted to share my test day disaster and get your thoughts. Literally speaking, almost everything that could go wrong DID! Sooooo, I took the exam in Atlanta at the Atlanta Technical College location. The day started out ok until I realized my GPS took me to the wrong location. I called the testing site 20+ times and went to voicemail. When I finally go to the location I was more than an hour late. I told the young lady that was at the front desk what happened and she immediately took me into the testing room. I noticed on her sign in sheet that nearly all students (except 3) were signed in after 8:30.

The kicker in this situation began when nearly half way into the chem/phys section all computers froze. They came back on 10 minutes later only to go out a minute later. The computers were off nearly 30 minutes. Some test takers lost time and others were seriously inconvenienced by having to reread a passage they had already read due to laps in time. Once they got the computers working again about 1 hour went by then the computers went out again. By this time the exam proctor told everyone to take lunch.

After returning from lunch we completed most of the bio/biochem section (I was on question 53 to be exact) when the proctor opened the door to tell us that our exam would not be scored and that we could not finish due to the interruptions. I immediately contacted pro metric who told me that my only option was to reregister and sit for the exam next week. This is totally inconveniencing because I present my prospectus for my dissertation next week...this means I'll have to take off from work 2 days in a row.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the resolution? There has to be something else they can do.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry that this happened to you =/
Unfortunately, I think the AAMC response to this is pretty much "tough luck".
The scores will be voided, and I think it also counts as one of your attempts.

Maybe some of the people from the May test can weigh in? I know A LOT of them had similar computer issues so hopefully they will know what to expect. I know they were offered a retest on a date that wasn't originally listed, sounds like you will be getting the same thing. I would be surprised if it counts as an attempt!

I had this happen in May. They'll write a new exam and give you a new date. Today won't count for one of your attempts and you'll be able to retest for free. Were you at a satellite center?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I'm sorry, that really sucks. Best of luck on your retake...

It seems like the satellite centers are pretty unprepared for this test. I went to a similar place and the test only filled up about half of the screen, the resolution was all off. The staff seemed really incompetent and unprofessional as well.

I took the May exam with a similar issue. When I called AAMC asking for further information, they asked me to fill out a Test Center Concern form. AAMC sent us an email saying they knew about the testing center issues that afternoon and offered that June 2 retake date.

Unfortunately I think AAMC only cares if it's a widespread issue (like nationwide level). You won't get any pity for the GPS mishap either.

I had this happen in May. They'll write a new exam and give you a new date. Today won't count for one of your attempts and you'll be able to retest for free. Were you at a satellite center?
May I know how long did it take for them to reply to your test center concern?