MD Chances ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyork1111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what my chances were with the following stats:

Undregrad gpa : 3.45
Science gpa : 3.45 (with a ~3.65 avg my last three semesters)
Special Masters Program: 3.95
MCAT: 36 (PS 13 VR12 BS 11)

ECs:

Volunteer ~ 100-150 hrs (emergency room volunteer, ride alongs with local EMS squads, brigade trips)
Research ~ 600 hrs (in both industry and academic; my data was presented at a medical conference by my boss - not sure if that qualifies for a publication but its something lol)

I compiled the following list, let me know if you think I stand a chance and/or if you have any other suggestions for MD programs you think I would have a chance at.

Rutgers - NJMS
Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson
Tulane University
Hofstra
Tufts
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Rosland Franklin
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson
(may not have at chance at these but I'm thinking of applying anyway)
NYU
Mount Sinai
Albert Einstein
Emory
Miami

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you are an NY state resident given your name and the region of these schools. If so, apply to all four of the state schools (Buffalo, Upstate, Downstate, and Stony Brook). I applied with a 3.55/3.55/37 and got interviews at all of those minus Buffalo, as well as Case Western (both tracks), Temple, Hofstra, NYMC, The Commonwealth Medical College, and University of Rochester, with those interviews resulting in two acceptances. I would put all of those schools on your list. If money is no object you can keep the reaches, but I would probably cut out Sinai and NYU unless they are your dream schools or you have direct ties to those institutions. Can't speak to the rest of the list because I have no real experience with them, but hopefully this was helpful. Your list is a solid start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have R Franklin on your list why not add some of the other Chicago schools ie Rush and Loyola. I'd say UIC but the OOS tuition is absurd!

Thank you all for your comments... I actually am a new jersey resident, I forgot to mention that...so do you guys think i have a chance at those schools with the stats I posted

Sorry to be such a nuisance, but does anyone else have any suggestions on my school list/if i have a chance at MD

I also forgot to mention that I have about 20 hrs of shadowing...

Your GPA is slightly low, but your MCAT is stellar and your ECs are pretty good. Do you have any shadowing?

Statistically with that GPA and MCAT you have a >70% chance of getting accepted somewhere. You're looking pretty good IMO. Maybe apply to a couple DO programs just in case?