MD/JD Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastedbutter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have recently learned about the MD/JD dual degree and it really speaks to me for various reasons. I'm trying to decide if pivoting a bit to aim for this kind of program is in my best interest, And if I even have a chance. I reached out to a few prominent schools with defined MD/JD programs, but they all told me to simply check out the website. As such, I am turning to SDN.

Where can I find more info on MD/JD? I don't mean what the program is like, but more what makes an applicant competitive, if people who have done it think it's worth it, and similar questions. Does anyone know blogs or sites, or has/is anyone here applying MD/JD and/or know someone from that background?

At the moment, my biggest question is what can I do to make myself competitive for law school? Being premed, I have no activities I would associate with pre-law, and it seems all the schools that offer an MD/JD are (unfortunately!) in the T20-30 for both law and medicine so I would need to be really spectacular to have a shot. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't done it, but know some people who have. It's not really worth it unless your goal is to use your medical degree to get involved in public policy, run for Congress, etc., where having a law degree is helpful.

I'm not sure why you would need, or even want, a law degree just to practice medicine, even if you find law interesting. Obtaining it will take more time and money, and will not make you a better physician.

That said, a law degree is a helluva lot more flexible than a MD, so what law schools look for in applicants is way more diverse than what med schools look for. Pre-law can be anything. Also, med school is way more difficult to get into, other than at the very tippy top law schools, where they are both equally nearly impossible. So, even at a T10, if you are competitive for the med school, also applying to the law school should not be a problem, and law schools will probably find you very attractive as-is, without "pre-law" specific activities.

Finally, while I have not researched it myself, I'd be surprised if any school that offers both a MD and JD program did not also offer a joint MD/JD. I do not think you'll be limited to T20-30. Miami is just one example.

Again, your hurdle will be acceptance into the MD program, anywhere. The JD will be there if you want it at most schools, but expressing interest in this is NOT going to impress an adcom (probably why you are receiving the indifferent reception) or help you get into any MD program.

I’ve known several MD/JDs. All of them say it’s not worth it and they all pretty much gravitate to either medicine or law. They also practice medicine insanely defensive to the point of being almost paranoid. I practice pretty defensively but damn, they take the cake. Also, at some point the goal of a stable career is to like have a life and stuff and getting two doctorate level degrees when you’ll really only use one is pretty much a waste.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can always get a JD, if that becomes important.
The big advantage is time, if it's something you really want. The programs typically cut out a year of school, and allow you to get the degree now, rather than interrupt your career later. But, yeah, it's just not worth it for most doctors, unless, heaven forbid, they want to be medical malpractice attorneys.

Reactions: 1 users
The big advantage is time, if it's something you really want. The programs typically cut out a year of school, and allow you to get the degree now, rather than interrupt your career later. But, yeah, it's just not worth it for most doctors, unless, heaven forbid, they want to be medical malpractice attorneys.
It's never worth it for the year.
If it ever becomes worth it (and I haven't seen it yet), the degree from the right place is worth the "year."

Reactions: 5 users
I'm sensing a consensus.

The main reason I'm interested in this combination of degree is because some of the most contentious lawmaking we've seen over the past few years, including recent events, have to do with personal health, public health, etc. A lot of physicians I've talked to or know personally feel helpless and go with the flow. I thought it would be great to have a foot in both camps, and have the credentials to be able to step up and guide policy making the next time we get into a pandemic or really problematic laws involving healthcare gain traction. Are there any other educational paths that would offer the same amount of credibility and flexibility in the future ? Mind you, my first and foremost goal is to practice medicine, I'm interested in getting extra education that will allow me to branch out when necessary.

I'm sensing a consensus.

The main reason I'm interested in this combination of degree is because some of the most contentious lawmaking we've seen over the past few years, including recent events, have to do with personal health, public health, etc. A lot of physicians I've talked to or know personally feel helpless and go with the flow. I thought it would be great to have a foot in both camps, and have the credentials to be able to step up and guide policy making the next time we get into a pandemic or really problematic laws involving healthcare gain traction. Are there any other educational paths that would offer the same amount of credibility and flexibility in the future ? Mind you, my first and foremost goal is to practice medicine, I'm interested in getting extra education that will allow me to branch out when necessary.
MPH?

I'm not sure if that gives you anywhere near the credibility and expertise a JD would for actual policy making. MPHs and other public health professionals could only make one recommendation after another...it was up to the lawmakers to decide what they thought was constitutional/legal and actually implement stuff.

I'm sensing a consensus.

I don't intend to be rude here, but I think you are greatly overvaluing the JD and its ability to solve this issue. A law degree will obviously help a physician navigate an ever-changing legal environment, but that doesn't mean that every physician should go to law school. As a physician, you will be able to consult an attorney if you ever need legal assistance or want to collaborate with one in public policy or other similar aspects of law. Going to law school will be a massive waste of time and money unless you have a very specific career in mind that would use both every day.

It's analogous to learning a trade like construction or mechanics. Yeah, it would be nice to be a physician that could build their own house or fix their own car, but it is hardly worth going to trade school for just the occasional use of that training. Law school is an even more extreme example. As a physician, you will have a valuable skill that will allow you to pay others to assist you with their valuable skills. I'd strongly recommend just sticking with law or medicine and not both.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all,

I have recently learned about the MD/JD dual degree and it really speaks to me for various reasons. I'm trying to decide if pivoting a bit to aim for this kind of program is in my best interest, And if I even have a chance. I reached out to a few prominent schools with defined MD/JD programs, but they all told me to simply check out the website. As such, I am turning to SDN.

Where can I find more info on MD/JD? I don't mean what the program is like, but more what makes an applicant competitive, if people who have done it think it's worth it, and similar questions. Does anyone know blogs or sites, or has/is anyone here applying MD/JD and/or know someone from that background?

At the moment, my biggest question is what can I do to make myself competitive for law school? Being premed, I have no activities I would associate with pre-law, and it seems all the schools that offer an MD/JD are (unfortunately!) in the T20-30 for both law and medicine so I would need to be really spectacular to have a shot. Any help is appreciated.
In terms of making yourself competitive for law school, if you were to choose to go that route, you need to provide evidence you can write. You also need to show that you enjoy non-lab research. Writing is critical. Obviously a good LSAT will also help. Basically, for most dual-degree programs, you need to qualify for both programs.

As to the value of getting both degrees, I really can't comment. An MPH may serve your needs at much less expense. You may also want to consider a Masters in Public Policy. Here is some info on this option: MD/MPH and MD/MPP Combined Degree Programs ,

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a current MS4 who entered medical school with a JD and experience practicing law. I'm happy to share my experiences/thoughts if you want to DM me.

Reactions: 3 users
A MD with a JD has a quick road to early retirement. When they finally decide it's time to go play golf every day, they can commit med malpractice and sue themselves.

• Haha
Having a law degree and passing a bar exam may entitle someone to practice law but jumping those hurdles does not make someone a real lawyer. Becoming a real lawyer takes years of experience. For example, if I had a criminal problem, I would want a defense attorney who had spent time working in a prosecutor's office and actually trying cases. If I were to buy or sell a large business, I would want an attorney who worked in a business law firm dealing with contracts, tax, property and securities issues. The moral of the story for physicians is that law school may be interesting, but it won't make you Clarence Darrow without real experience.