Pursuing JD, then MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD, then JD?

• Don't do it. Just, don't.

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • It could work, but going JD will hurt your chances at MD.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take the extra gap year(s) and pursue only MD + apply to the combined programs.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • It could work, worth a shot - and JD is a good backup plan.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • It could work, and JD may even assist your shot at MD.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Here is another suggestion:

1. You can enter the search terms "MD JD" on a business community website (e.g., LinkedIn).

2. In so doing, you will find profiles for multiple individuals who have earned JD-MD degrees.

3. These individuals didn't just "think" about doing it ... they actually "did" it.

4. Then, you can look at the professional experiences and work history of the JD-MDs to get a better idea of *which types of work* some of these individuals have chosen to do in their respective professional careers with their JD-MD degrees.

5. Maybe some of them are doing the same type of work that you (currently) imagine yourself doing in the distant future? Or maybe not?

6. It's advisable to take your time and figure things out for yourself before jumping into the unknown, and regretting it later.
In response to 6 - that's exactly why I made this thread. Thank you for your advice! I'm having trouble finding anyone with both JD-MD who actually uses them both in the way that I was imagining, which tells me that it's a bad idea. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had an attending that did law school after residency as a 4-year night school. He said it was extremely hard to pull off. He doesn't do much with the JD besides some expert work which he could have done with his MD. Reality is that it is very rare and hard to be able to find something where you can do both JD and MD. Hell, even doing MD and PhD can be very hard to balance

Reactions: 3 users
In response to 6 - that's exactly why I made this thread. Thank you for your advice! I'm having trouble finding anyone with both JD-MD who actually uses them both in the way that I was imagining, which tells me that it's a bad idea. Thank you!
After some thought I can recall working with exactly one MD-JD in my career (and I use the term "working" rather loosely, as our interactions were fairly tangential). This person did a combined program at a very high power institution and ended up faculty in a law school, doing mostly health policy stuff. Well regarded, well published, probably well compensated, but definitely not doing clinical medicine.

Reactions: 3 users