Med Errors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can happen to your license in Florida if you commit a med error. Also, does it have to be reported and how severe does it have to be?

Also, if you are disciplined by the board, obviously your license is "dirty". However, when you are done with all the requirements the board asks, does your license become clear and active again? Does any of this prevent you from getting a job in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Attend a BOP meeting on disciplinary day. Very informative and it counts for live CE.

And yes, the error would have to be reported to the BOP for them to act against your license. The worst case scenario (besides hurting someone) is you could lose your license. Much more likely is you will be fined and made to do extra error prevention CE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok one last question..... If I did commit a med error in the past (hypothetical)..... Would I have to report that on job applications.
Like on CVS it asks have you ever had any disciplinary orders against you in any state?
Would I have to tell them about a med error?

From the Board of Pharmacy's point of view, you are required to have an internal Continuous Quality Improvement Program, and record all Quality-Related Events in an internal database. So you should record all med errors internally, doesn't matter how severe, and it doesn't necessarily mean you will get in trouble, by your company or by the board.

But then the patient may still decide to file a complaint against you to the board. When they do this, the board will investigate and discipline you. It could be any med error, even as simple as the wrong strength or directions. The discipline for minor first-time violations is usually a $250 fine, 12 hours of CEs and paying the board's costs, but it can go up from there. The disciplinary action will stay on your license record forever, but unless the action suspended or revoked your license, then you can still practice pharmacy. Anyone including employers can look up your record, and it's basically up to them as to what they decide to do with that information.

The patient can also sue you in court and this is a totally separate thing.

So that discipline is on your board of pharmacy profile forever even if your license is clear

Also, will it be impossible to get a job if you are disciplined?

Ok one last question..... If I did commit a med error in the past (hypothetical)..... Would I have to report that on job applications.
Like on CVS it asks have you ever had any disciplinary orders against you in any state?
Would I have to tell them about a med error?
If you made a med error and the board disciplined you, then yes you should put that on the job application.
If you made a med error but the board did not discipline you, then no, you don't say anything.
So that discipline is on your board of pharmacy profile forever even if your license is clear
Yes
Also, will it be impossible to get a job if you are disciplined?
I won't say impossible, but probably more difficult given the saturation in the job market right now. Then again, I know a pharmacist who had their license suspended for 3 years for running a narcotics racket, and they still got a job after the suspension was lifted...