Medical Assistant Training or Not...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockHardIce

Returned to Stock
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be worth to train as a MA to get a good feel of working in healthcare? The training is in a community college, two days a week night class, each class 3hrs, and is not so expensive (~1000$ total)

I am not taking too many credits this fall.

Biochem ---3
Anatomy and Phys1---4
Gen Chem 2 lab only ---2
Pathogenic microbio ---4

I have been volunteering and it doesnt go anywhere near observing a doctor delivering healthcare.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would definitely be good exposure, if you can fit it into your schedule.

Also, you might want to check what sort of training programs the local hospital offers. My local hospital has a CNA program (paid training) and then you just work for them. Then you wouldn't have to spend the dough on the training!

Would it be worth to train as a MA to get a good feel of working in healthcare? The training is in a community college, two days a week night class, each class 3hrs, and is not so expensive (~1000$ total)

I am not taking too many credits this fall.

Biochem ---3
Anatomy and Phys1---4
Gen Chem 2 lab only ---2
Pathogenic microbio ---4

I have been volunteering and it doesnt go anywhere near observing a doctor delivering healthcare.

What do you think?

While I think it would be a better idea than volunteering as you will definitely be more involved with patient care, there are two things you should consider.

First, how much time will you actually be able to work as a MA before applying and going to medical school. If it is not for at least a year, I think you might want to consider the other posters suggestion of becoming a PCA in a hospital.

The other consideration is that, while you may only be taking 13 credits...you are taking a full course load and if you give each of those hours the recommended 3 study hours, that is almost 40 hours in of its self. You are also not taking easy glide classes...these are most likely going to figure strongly into your BCPM gpa.

Thanks for your advices.