Medical Schools Outside of The U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestCoastNative

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it make more sense to apply to medical schools outside of the U.S.A., mostly Europe? Medical school debt is quite high, and it keeps rising. It's uncertain what the future pay will be as well. If you finish medical school in Europe, would it be hard to come back to the U.S.A within 2 years and start practicing?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Debt my brother.. scary to think of graduating with 350k+ in debt in times when physicians and surgeons make 150k tops (never know..)
It is harder for IMGs to match. That is one issue with this plan.

Debt my brother.. scary to think of graduating with 350k+ in debt in times when physicians and surgeons make 150k tops (never know..)

Which is worse: debt from a US school that you can pay off once you get a job, or less debt (maybe) from a foreign school that you can't pay off because you can't land a residency?

U.S. wins every time.

Reactions: 2 users
Even scarier to think of graduating with a large amount of debt and not having a chance at matching to a US residency, which is what most FMG's and IMG's will be facing in the coming years..... If you are that worried about the debt, there are quite a few programs that can help with that.