Meeting with admissions after a rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcbaker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on meeting with the Admissions Councilors from the schools I have been rejected from. I was wondering if anyone could comment on their experiences with these meetings. Did you wear a suit? Was it a very formal meeting? I plan on having a list of questions with me, but any other suggestions on how to make the most of these meetings would be really helpful!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I met with CSU last year after rejection and it was very informal. I wore khaki pants and a nice shirt just in case it was more formal, but the girl before me looked like she was wearing her pjs. It was very helpful to hear the suggestions to improve my application and since I didn't wave my rights to read my LOR, I got to read them also.

Haha, oh jesus, you don't need to wear a suit.

Mine was very informal. He had already read over my application, we sat and had a pleasant conversation about my plans and answered each other's questions and came up with a plan for the next several months. Very helpful and nerve calming.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even have to drive to mine. I called to make the appt. to drive down and mentioned something in my schedule about school (I was teaching at the time) and they were nice enough to offer a phone interview for me, it was very helpful and didn't mean 4 hours of driving! And I didn't have to deal with the "pity look", I hate that look :( You know the one I mean.

Mine was the same, too - no suit but I did try to pick a T-shirt that wasn't covered in stains. It was a really relaxed, informative interview.

Mine was over the phone also. The woman I talked to basically went over my application section by section telling me what was good and what needed work. She also told me what my interviewers comments had been and key things I needed to improve for next year. It was really nice after being waitlisted to have a plan of action for the next year. It made me feel more in control of what I could do to get in for the next round. I guess we'll see if it paid off this time.

I applied to 5 schools-got rejected from all of them last year. :(

I spoke with the 2 that I was going to reapply to this year. One in person (I wore my scrubs from work-I work in a lab-so as to look like a hard worker). Also, informal. Told me my strengths and called one thing on my application awful (i believe).

The other one (out of state) I did over the phone. They discussed my personal statement and told me to leave out whole sections of what I wanted to do with my degree if I wanted to go to school there. They apparently don't have a strong program in that?

Last year I did phone interviews with all the 2 schools I applied to. Cornell went over the same thing they did in the pre app program. U Penn was much more forthcoming on how to improve my chances.