Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is best, half-Windsor or full-Windsor tie knot?

It depends on the thickness of the tie and spread of the collar. The more formal look is any symmetric knot. If you have a wide spread and thin tie, a full windsor could work well. If you have a narrower spread or a thicker tie, something like a pratt could work better

Members don't see this ad.

My socks are going to likely be slightly darker than my suit. Still navy, but darker. I can't find the right match. Am I going to draw the ire of the almost certainly style-versed adcoms?
You're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 200090 Standard navy suit, brown shoes (I'm going to polish them, don't worry), brown belt, white shirt with stays. My tie is sort of collegiate stripe with navy, brown and white. Back to the conservative basics. Does this pass inspection?

I know I'm late to reply to your post, but I just want to suggest getting a better quality belt. I have the same belt, and it wore all the way through after about 6 months of wear because it is made of cheap bonded leather. There are better alternatives for $40-70 in most department stores, or you could consider just buying a high quality one for about $100.

Also, you want to purchase a shoe tree. You can get a cedar tree from Dillards for about $20, and it will make your shoes not only look better (i.e., not creased severely and buckling inwards on the vamp), but it will also make them smell better, last longer, and easier to polish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I'm late to reply to your post, but I just want to suggest getting a better quality belt. I have the same belt, and it wore all the way through after about 6 months of wear because it is made of cheap bonded leather. There are better alternatives for $40-70 in most department stores, or you could consider just buying a high quality one for about $100.

Also, you want to purchase a shoe tree. You can get a cedar tree from Dillards for about $20, and it will make your shoes not only look better (i.e., not creased severely and buckling inwards on the vamp), but it will also make them smell better, last longer, and easier to polish.

Belt and shoes should match as well.

Have you considered cordovan?

Depends on how gray and how brown we're talking. Darker browns can work with lighter grays but charcoal really needs a black shoe or something with a more reddish tone like cordovan/burgundy

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like Cordovan may be the way to go and I do like the look, just want to make sure whatever I get is versatile enough that I have plenty of chance to wear it. The suit is a mid gray, relatively light, definitely would not be described as charcoal.

Here's another solid tie choice for anyone looking. Great with a navy or charcoal suit.

http://www.ctshirts.com/us/blue-silk-classic-prince-of-wales-check-tie/TIC0004BLU.html

TIC0004BLU_a.jpg

Edit: I have no idea why that image is so friggin big.
Sort of a fine grenadine. Honestly can't wait till I'm making enough to get some fine tailored suits. Aw yiss.

That doesn't look like a grenadine to me.

Half windsor and as has been previously discussed, needs to actually be tied properly (i.e. tight knot, just enough to create a dimple). The lazy bulky "Merrill Hoge" look is terrible.

I prefer a double four in hand.

Thoughts on matching handkerchief with tie, or should I leave the handkerchief out? Also, tan shoes/belt or black? This would be with a navy colored suit. I liked the way that tan/brown shoes went with navy suits when I searched online.

Thoughts on matching handkerchief with tie, or should I leave the handkerchief out? Also, tan shoes/belt or black? This would be with a navy colored suit. I liked the way that tan/brown shoes went with navy suits when I searched online.

The look you describe can be pulled off well if all of the above elements are top-quality, fashion-forward, and you carry yourself well, but is pretty risky for most applicants. Your choice of the word 'tan' for your shoes gives me pause though... If by tan, you mean medium brown but not casual -- again, could work, but high-risk of failure. No handkerchief and black shoes/belt is a safe look.

Reactions: 1 user
Leave it out (throw it back on for the ballroom ;))

Black, dark brown works too (tan and other lighter shades, while matching with navy, lean more toward a fashionable look than a professional/conservative one).

The look you describe can be pulled off well if all of the above elements are top-quality, fashion-forward, and you carry yourself well, but is pretty risky for most applicants. Your choice of the word 'tan' for your shoes gives me pause though... If by tan, you mean medium brown but not casual -- again, could work, but high-risk of failure. No handkerchief and black shoes/belt is a safe look.

Leave it out (throw it back on for the ballroom ;))

Black, dark brown works too (tan and other lighter shades, while matching with navy, lean more toward a fashionable look than a professional/conservative one).

Thank you for the advice. The shoes I mentioned look exactly like this :
s-l1000.jpg

I would go with a darker brown. If you want to be more conservative, capped oxfords. And no handkerchief.

I just got my two new suits! Men's Warehouse was having a buy one get one free sale!

I went with a plain Navy blue and a dark charcoal with very faint blue lines. Also grabbed a light blue shirt and grey shirt and matching ties.

Now all I have to do is, you know....actually apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning to wear black shoes with my charcoal or navy suit, mostly because I already own very nice black dress shoes. Is that some kind of sacrilege?

As long as they aren't patent leather or something

That's what I thought but it seemed like most people in here are posting about brown ones. I'm sure it doesn't really matter.

Brown only really goes with navy although some folks think it can go great with charcoal as well. Burgundy (or even oxblood) goes great with both charcoal and navy, however.

Examples of burgundy shoes that would work very well in conservative dress:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me..._ald_m_cap_toe_bal_oxford_shell_cordovan.html

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Edwar...?dwvar_MH00060_Color=DKBR&contentpos=10&cgid=

Top is an example of a very dark burgundy. Bottom is an example of a burgundy that seems on the lighter side. Both colors would be pretty sharp with either charcoal or navy suits, although the brands I listed are fairly expensive.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/sienna-blue-plain/P3459I.html

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/sienna-navy-plain/P3467LI.html

Opinions on these two suits? I like the color of the first one better but I'm afraid it's too light of a blue to be professional. I'm East Asian if that matters.

Blue and charcoal can both be hard to tell without seeing in person. To me, the color in both looks fine. Darker is a safer bet, but if the return policy is good, you could order both and return one

s-l1000.jpg

These will be fine, and will be nicer than what 85% of your colleagues will have on.

Are these 1400 dollar shoe recommendations serious? Or are you guys just providing them as examples? I've never had the issue of what someone wore to an interview come up during meetings unless it was something completely ridiculous.

Last edited:
These will be fine, and will be nicer than what 85% of your colleagues will have on.

Are these 1400 dollar shoe recommendations serious? Or are you guys just providing them as examples? I've never had the issue of what someone wore to an interview come up during adcom meetings unless it was something completely ridiculous.
I'm not recommending $1400 shoes, but I think the idea is that clothing can have a subtle (conscious or unconscious) effect on the interviewer's perception. Not that they would bring it up to the adcom.

I would still go with a darker brown though.

Are these 1400 dollar shoe recommendations serious? Or are you guys just providing them as examples? I've never had the issue of what someone wore to an interview come up during adcom meetings unless it was something completely ridiculous.

Are you really an MS4 or are you frauding? Have a hard time believing someone made it into med school without at least a pair of bespoke berluti's

upload_2016-4-23_12-29-57.png
upload_2016-4-23_12-29-24.png

Dark green with dark tan upper lapel/pocket trim.... dapper or inappropriate?

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-23_12-28-40.png
    upload_2016-4-23_12-28-40.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 40
upload_2016-4-23_13-10-35.png
upload_2016-4-23_13-10-51.png

Heres the same suit without the tan trim, I'm having it custom made and thought that the tan added a bit of dapperness to it lol I'm not buying it specifically for interviews, as I do have other suits, but since I'm getting it anyway I thought it would be cool to at least wear it on any interview invites if possible... just the whole wanting to use it because it's new thing. I agree with not wanting to take chances for interviews, it makes sense. I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, but I also don't want to be another brick in the wall either, so trying to decide on a happy medium.

Honestly the color looks so subdued you could probably pull it off, but not a fan of the two tone. If this is a first suit, you'll get a lot more use out of a charcoal or navy anyway, and interviews aren't really the time to take fashion chances

Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate the feedback... did you see many odd-ball ensembles while you were interviewing?

Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate the feedback... did you see many odd-ball ensembles while you were interviewing?

The trim just makes it look like some odd tux / suit amalgam. Just my opinion, I really don't know what convention is there, have never seen a suit jacket like that. I think it looks good and interview appropriate without, though pictures don't necessarily translate to how fabric looks in person and in different lighting. If you have fallback suits though, go for it. As far as seeing oddball ensembles, no not really, at least not for men. Lots of solid black / black pinstripe. But as far as oddball, medium blue / tan was as "weird" as it got

I'm not recommending $1400 shoes, but I think the idea is that clothing can have a subtle (conscious or unconscious) effect on the interviewer's perception. Not that they would bring it up to the adcom.

I would still go with a darker brown though.

Clothing can, but again, I think you're overstating how much it has an effect. Adcoms know that some students come from less money than others. They're not there to evaluate your appearance unless you give them a reason to do so.

Regardless of whether or not they bring it up to the adcom, the interviewer still has to justify why they give the score they do to the applicant. If someone is recommending reject and their only criticism is "Didn't like the suit choice they made." then the school is failing at interviewing applicants.

I'm an AE Strand/Dalton kind of guy.

Just giving you a hard time, am an AE person myself, when they're seconds and on sale, and they're still a big splurge (have a hard time calling any clothing an "investment")

Just giving you a hard time, am an AE person myself, when they're seconds and on sale, and they're still a big splurge (have a hard time calling any clothing an "investment")

I find that purchasing seconds of AE shoes is a bit of a risk depending on the model. I have a pair of Park Aves that are great shoes. I tried buying a pair of Mora's though, and they just weren't great quality.

I think you're more likely to have better luck on seconds if it's one of their "bread and butter" shoes. That being said, Nordstrom sales are also amazing for AE shoes, and AE will sometimes price match.

s-l1000.jpg
eh, I'd stay away from brogue and/or wing tips lest the interviewer conflates your sense of style with flamboyance or immaturity.

Simply out of curiosity... What's the consensus on wearing a sweater vest over your shirt and tie and under the suit coat? If you have an interview in the cold months, is this okay?

Thanks, Ribery. I've always wondered about it.

You can also get an overcoat to wear over your suit, too. It's nice for extra warmth and may help you more than a sweater vest. You can get one on sale for like $100-200 from Jos. A. Bank or Men's Wearhouse. It'll protect your legs and arms more than a sweater vest, and you can take it off inside so you don't burn up during your interview.

Simply out of curiosity... What's the consensus on wearing a sweater vest over your shirt and tie and under the suit coat? If you have an interview in the cold months, is this okay?

Just make sure you can still see the tie with the sweater on and that the color doesn't clash

Don't wear a vest of any type!

Reactions: 3 users
Sweater vest takes the "dressiness" level down while having the added bonus of making you like like a fifty year old dad.

No go.

Pocket squares have a tendency to be viewed as ostentatious. I like them in real life situations but not for interviews as a result.

Ditto for French cuffs/cuff links

So basically, keep it simple.

Only if you want to look high maintenance.

That's actually quite hilarious, mainly because of the validity, (all my friends who wear pocket squares daily are drama queens). I'll have to keep that in mind.

Are Cartier eyeglasses considered too ostentatious for med students?

Wear a coat.
Some people can't afford 300-400 dollar overcoats. I would imagine (although I could be wrong) that wearing a north face jacket on top of a suit which I saw plenty of kids doing looks way worse than just wearing a simple sweater vest underneath their suit jacket.

But in light of your comments, I would say that one should just brave the cold and avoid the sweater vest and non-professional jacket on top of the suit lol.