Men's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys, now to move away from suits, what kind of portfolio or briefcase or bag are you bringing? my bf is going to be applying to phd programs and has nothing suitable and i figured id turn to my wonderful SDners for help... help, please..

He's applying to PhD programs? In what? I can ask my boyfriend what he did.

Members don't see this ad.

Manila folder, if anything. I think they will give us a paper folder to hold all of the materials, such as financial aid, etc.

they'll typically give you a folder if there is any paperwork that you need. I've brought a portfolio before and it was worthless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now THIS type of stuff is definitely relevant AND important. For some reason, I'm ALWAYS the guy asking the director/employer, "can I use your pen?" haha.

I'm just going to get a black portfolio thing with a legal pad, pen, and a little pocket to put papers on the inside.

He's applying to PhD programs? In what? I can ask my boyfriend what he did.

chemistry PhD programs.

and for those who mentioned the portfolios with legal pads, do you by any chance have a link to something?

What do you suggest? I always thought square toes were the preferred style.

Yes pointed tipped /rounded shoes are appropriate. A nice pair of oxfords or cap toes work well. Expensive ones can (Allen Edmonds) be had for a song on E-bay, and they will last you 20 - 30 years and not go out of style.

Instead of spending $100 on a pair of trendy Aldos that have rubber soles, and look like crap after a year, spend a bit more and get some Johnston&Murphys which will last several years.

Why are people responding to captainnerd's post with actual advice? Aren't those outfits supposed to be a complete joke?

Unless I'm missing some excellent sarcasm, I'm a little worried..

His advice is some of the only advice worth listening to on this thread. I wear suits every day to see my patients, and know, through experience, what a good suit looks like.

People on this thread tire me, with their arguments.

Dude... I spent a good deal of money on my black suit... I rarely spend money on clothes. I'm going to wear it with pride. We're interviewing for an opportunity to wear the SAME WHITE COAT as EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR CO-WORKERS for the ENTIRETY OF OUR CAREERS! Come freaking on. Make what's inside of your mind flash for the committee. Grey, blue, green or polka dot suits don't provide human beings with competent and compassionate health care... Other, caring human beings do.

Why aren't we talking about how we are going to keep our cool during the interview or how we are going to accurately project our true personalities and values in spite of our nervousness? Why are we talking about clothes? It makes me sad that this thread has gotten so many posts.

I don't mean any disrespect or anything... but I know pretty much all of you guys are highly intelligent, dedicated people. You're bigger and better than this, in my mind.
I have no idea how what you've said contradicts a single thing that I said. My point was that whether you wear blue, black, grey, or whatever other professional color, it doesn't matter in the end. Professional is professional. Read my first sentence.

The person who started this thread had a valid concern because, whether you choose to believe it or not, what you wear to an interview does matter. Maybe not very much, but it matters. There is no reason not to discuss this since this forum is pretty much for, you know... getting into medical school.

His advice is some of the only advice worth listening to on this thread. I wear suits every day to see my patients, and know, through experience, what a good suit looks like.

Hey guys, the fashion police are wearing down! Bust out the paisley!

Phew 5-0 are gone, I'm wearing gold parachute pants with a green safety vest and red sandals with rainbow socks.

In this outfit, the rainbow socks are the only thing that seems to make sense. But not a literal rainbow. That would be... "ghey."

He may have given genuine advice at first, but I think those outfits were supposed to be a joke after he got tired of arguing. If you look at his first post, you'll see that the outfits were just a compilation of all the no-nos he listed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, captainnerd.

Members don't see this ad :)
He may have given genuine advice at first, but I think those outfits were supposed to be a joke after he got tired of arguing. If you look at his first post, you'll see that the outfits were just a compilation of all the no-nos he listed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, captainnerd.

Actually, I think both outfits would be completely acceptable for an interview. The problem is trying to give advice that is safe for this forum and then giving advice to others who may already know a bit about style and fit. I don't see anything wrong with a pink shirt or a pocket square or brown shoes as long as it is done well. But if I were to give advice that included a pink shirt, brown shoes, and a pocket square, there is a good chance it will not be done well. There are awful shades of pink. There's the ordeal of preparing a pocket square.

In the end, fit is most important. You don't want to look like you're wearing your father's clothes or that you learned how to tie a tie the night before on the internet.

i'm probably wearing a black suit with a white shirt, but thinking about adding a yellow jcrew argyle vest.. too flashy?

What about hair?

Is it unprofessional to have a buzz cut, like a #3?

is it appropriate to have a purple-pinkish shirt with a dark purple tie?

Just don't be the @$$hat on the left and you'll do fine. Here's the sad thing, based on the way the fabric is matched, that jacket looks expensive. Probably could have lowered the national debt by a few thousands.

Reaganvintage.jpg

Look on the bright side, he probably didn't even remember wearing that.

I'm really having a hard time with this shirt/tie combo thing. I don't know what would be consider 'professional' or suitable for the interview.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2978806...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2378122&P=1

i was thinking about getting something similar to this color.... light purple/lilac/violet, whatever color you call it, with a darker purple bold tie. it looks nice overall, but i'm afraid that it'll stand out too much and make people wonder what's that guy thinking??

should i just stick with basic white shirt and some dark tie?

i like that shirt a lot. with a dark purple tie :) A+! lol. then again i love the color purple

I have a really short buzz cut (1/8 inch of hair), is that considered as inappropraite for interview? I look good in it but have been told that my hair needs to be longer to be appropriate.

I just got my suit back from the tailor, took some pics. Any opinions, comments, etc? Also feel free to paste your heads, other peoples heads, or other species heads on my body for a laugh.

suitwo5.jpg

that is aewsome! i love the combination of shirt and tie and its a great suit.. total hunk! LOL

**** we actually have to wear a full suit to these things? I haven't seen my suit coat in forever...can we get away with not having the coat? I didn't realize it was THAT formal.

captainnerd or anyone else, would someone mind linking to a pair of shoes that would look good with a subtly pinstriped dark navy suit? I'm having a hard time envisioning what I should be looking for.

Here is my take:

1. If you do not want black/blue, go with a dark, charcoal grey. Lighter beige, khaki, or very light shades are not appropriate.

2. No cufflinks or bold pinstripes. These items are traditionally reserved for execs and higher-ups. You may not think anything of it, but your interviewer may be more "old school" than you.

3. White shirt. Play it safe. White with button cuffs and a plain, non-button down collar. Spread collars are okay; don't go too wide. A blue shirt is also acceptable. Don't even think about that pink shirt.

4. Fairly conservative tie. Solid colors are best. I particularly like solid colored ties with a nice texture. Multi-color/patterned ties are okay. Just don't go too crazy. DO NOT do that wide/thick knot BS. A dimple in the middle looks nice. Check youtube for tying (sp?) help.

5. Pointed shoes that match all other leathers. Don't do the square toe thing. If you are buying shoes, stay away from Aldo. Clean them up.

6. No accessories besides glasses, wedding ring or nice watch. No one wants to see your bling or that super cool D&G bracelet you got at the outlet.

7. Tone down hair product usage and cologne. Do not do your hair the same way you do when going to the club in search of Jager-drenched women.

**Be conservative. If it is questionable, do not bother. Be comfortable in your suit. Maybe wear it once or twice before the interview.**

Last edited:
redrumi, it is a nice looking suit however the shirt sleeve should be showing about 1/4" under the coat sleeve. this is crucial, imo. the coat sleeve should end where the muscle of your thumb meets the wrist and the shirt should end just below that

captainnerd or anyone else, would someone mind linking to a pair of shoes that would look good with a subtly pinstriped dark navy suit? I'm having a hard time envisioning what I should be looking for.

Dark brown shoes with a matching belt would look nice with navy.

I have a really short buzz cut (1/8 inch of hair), is that considered as inappropraite for interview? I look good in it but have been told that my hair needs to be longer to be appropriate.

can anyone answer this question?

redrumi, it is a nice looking suit however the shirt sleeve should be showing about 1/4" under the coat sleeve. this is crucial, imo. the coat sleeve should end where the muscle of your thumb meets the wrist and the shirt should end just below that

Bingo.

**** we actually have to wear a full suit to these things? I haven't seen my suit coat in forever...can we get away with not having the coat? I didn't realize it was THAT formal.

yupp.. suit jacket is mandatory

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2899180...-E475-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

It is the classic interview shoe (conservative but very well made). For a navy suit, I would recommend black shoes.

You can usually find them cheaper on Ebay (either brand new or seconds)

2. No cufflinks or bold pinstripes. These items are traditionally reserved for execs and higher-ups. You may not think anything of it, but your interviewer may be more "old school" than you.

I think french cuffs are fine. Many higher quality shirts already come with simple metal 'cuffs' (more like buttons) that do not project a macho image. BOSS has a nice shirt; I'm sure there are others for a similar price.

I dont think dark shirts go well with dark suits. You want the contrast of a dark suite and a lighter shirt, ie white or light blue

It's funny how the two people that actually contributed to proper interview attire got run out of this thread.

There's a category for dress/presentation on our student interview eval forms. captnnerd would probably get close to perfect if he lost the tiebar, the rest of you could learn a thing or two.

hey what will you guys use to carry your wallet, keys, cell phone?

yupp.. suit jacket is mandatory

You are being serious, it seems? Yes? I know that may sound silly, but mandatory jacket surprises me if this is true... or were you joking?

I just got my suit back from the tailor, took some pics. Any opinions, comments, etc? Also feel free to paste your heads, other peoples heads, or other species heads on my body for a laugh.

suitwo5.jpg

It looks like you left the top button undone but buttoned the bottom button. Button the middle, or the middle and top, but never the two bottom and never just the top.

Actually, to prevent any confusion, just button the top at all times.

But just for this suit: see how the lapel rolls near the top button? That means this is a "3 rolled 2" button suit. In essence, it means that although there is actually three buttons, only two seems to face forward since the top one is hidden behind the rolled lapel. For this suit, it is "in style" to leave the top button unbuttoned, the middle buttoned, and the bottom unbuttoned.

If the suit has no roll and appears creased at the lapel and all three buttons face forward, then the top and middle should always be buttoned.

Last edited:
It's funny how the two people that actually contributed to proper interview attire got run out of this thread.

There's a category for dress/presentation on our student interview eval forms. captnnerd would probably get close to perfect if he lost the tiebar, the rest of you could learn a thing or two.

I'll probably still wear the tie bar but will wear it behind the tie and it will hold down the narrow end, the narrow end will be in the loop, and then the tie bar will attach to the shirt front placket. This way, no actual tie bar shows but the tie stays in place. It's a trick.

I think french cuffs are fine. Many higher quality shirts already come with simple metal 'cuffs' (more like buttons) that do not project a macho image. BOSS has a nice shirt; I'm sure there are others for a similar price.

I think French cuffs are fine as long as the fabric is playful. I'm still contemplating wearing a check design instead of going with white. Like a gingham check. Like this shirt here (of course, not with those pants):

yfyf20080720redg6.jpg

I use mother of pearl cuff links that have been made by taking two mother of pearl extra buttons on shirts (you know, the ones they sew on at the bottom of the skirt of the shirt) and then sewing them back to back. When worn on the cuff, they look like shirt buttons.

There is absolutely nothing macho about a guy in gingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.