Men's Interview Clothing Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you suggest? I always thought square toes were the preferred style.

oxford?

Members don't see this ad.

No one is going to be lookin at your shoes. My dress shoes are a bit casual but I don't have $60, 70, or 80 to drop on a pair of shoes. Maybe I should wear my Asics or NBs to the interview?

By the way, I am planning on wearing the power glove on my interviews.

powerglove.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I wouldn't even have to do the interview... Accept that guy!!

Members don't see this ad :)
heres my type of suit...:D

paintball2.jpg

I think a TV-fold white linen square is always appropriate interview attire, but I know it's been debated ad nauseum by people more qualified than myself.

I was under the impression that socks matched the color of the trousers and not the shoes. Charcoal suit -> charcoal socks, although I don't think anyone would notice the difference between solid black socks and solid charcoal socks.

Other than that, I agree with most everything else. While I don't think most interviewers will care what people wear as long as it isn't absurd, it doesn't hurt to know what is appropriate and "correct" from a historical standpoint. There are always subconscious impressions that dictated by aesthetics (fit, color, coordination, etc.) and on the off chance that you get an interviewer that would be put off by french cuffs or a pinstripes, atleast you'll be as prepared. It's kind of like a tattoo - some people might not care that it's there, but you probably don't want to be showing it off to a room of 40 or 50-something year olds that are judging your fate :).

I think you're more looking at this from a style point of view. I was advising from an interview point of view and want to keep my advice as safe as possible.

But if you're interested, a safe pocket square is possible for an interview.

And yes, the safe rule is socks match the pants, not the shoes. Don't ask me why but navy suits should go with brown shoes. So I was being safe with simply saying black socks and black shoes which will go well with charcoal suit. Introducing brown shoes into the equation may be too much to handle for many pre-meds cause that's a whole other can of worms. Navy pants with navy socks and brown shoes is acceptable but that brings up the questions, what kind of brown? Advising a large population about what type of black shoes to buy is so much easier than asking the same population to go out and buy brown shoes. If a rookie goes out and buys a pair of black shoes, the chance that he will buy an acceptable pair is much better than with brown.

However, style has no rules. I never match my socks to my pants or shoes. Playful socks are the best. For example, I'll wear a red and yellow striped socks with just about any colored pants or shoes.

But for the interview, I'll wear black socks and black shoes.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the current topic...

but the sense of humor on SF is so much better than the sense of humor here.

This has nothing to do with the current topic...

but the sense of humor on SF is so much better than the sense of humor here.

At SF, they love themselves enough to be self-aggrandizing and self-deprecating at the same time. Here, we just don't get enough love...

And yes, people look at your shoes. It seems as if every time I wear wingtips someone has to comment on the fact that I'm wearing wingtips. However, square toes are not the preferred style...it's pointy toes!

It's the new classic captoe.

How about toe-tip?

feet_shoes.png

I'm totally getting a pair if they come out with a black people version.

By the way, I am planning on wearing the power glove on my interviews.

powerglove.jpg

Through awesome as interview attire, I admit to owning one of these bad boys back in the day. It was the worst way to play a video game. Imagine the Wii on some straight up crack.

JARB

Well considering the contrasting predicaments I would think so.

If humor truly is a sign of intelligence, then this place should be hilarious. But all we get are references to gilly suits and Nintendo power gloves.

This guy is famous. This is why square toes should not be worn.

pony1.jpg

casual2.jpg

If humor truly is a sign of intelligence, then this place should be hilarious. But all we get are references to gilly suits and Nintendo power gloves.

I personally enjoy more nuanced humor over the "omgwtfbbq lookz @ this guy he shoe dont match lulz' style. Sorry if we don't live up to the comedy legend standards of your fashion forum, I hear Jerry Seinfeld got his start over there. I guess I will have to continue pursuing medicine until I get discovered.

Members don't see this ad :)
At SF, they love themselves enough to be self-aggrandizing and self-deprecating at the same time.
There are words for people who exhibit such behavior. "Fake," "pompous," and "superficial" come to mind.

"...and he had the nerve to come to my party wearing Ralph Lauren! Can you believe it? Hellloooo nineties!"

There are words for people who exhibit such behavior. "Fake," "pompous," and "superficial" come to mind.

"...and he had the nerve to come to my party wearing Ralph Lauren! Can you believe it? Hellloooo nineties!"

Ha ha, the suit I'm probably going to buy is a Ralph Lauren. It's really nice, though, and not many manufacturers make stuff in a 42 XL (a 40 XL is really my size, but NO ONE makes that). It sucks being tall and thin. :(

Ha ha, the suit I'm probably going to buy is a Ralph Lauren. It's really nice, though, and not many manufacturers make stuff in a 42 XL (a 40 XL is really my size, but NO ONE makes that). It sucks being tall and thin. :(

I wear a 42 XL as well, it truly sucks. Long Arms FTL

I personally enjoy more nuanced humor over the "omgwtfbbq lookz @ this guy he shoe dont match lulz' style. Sorry if we don't live up to the comedy legend standards of your fashion forum, I hear Jerry Seinfeld got his start over there. I guess I will have to continue pursuing medicine until I get discovered.

Well, for a pre-med forum, I was expecting at least a few puns in Greek or Latin. Or any humor at all.

But please look in the mirror. If you're so snooty as to ignore advice from better informed people and to attack back with ad hominem attacks of classism, should you be a doctor? Even doctors who are not well informed about a particular ailment will refer to another doctor.

Better informed because they say they are? What makes one better informed in fashion? It's all discretionary -- There's no 'right' answer in terms of dress and style, otherwise we would all look the same. In medicine, however, there is a right answer.

Better informed because they say they are? What makes one better informed in fashion? It's all discretionary -- There's no 'right' answer in terms of dress and style, otherwise we would all look the same. In medicine, however, there is a right answer.

Okay, you win.

------------

I finally decided on an outfit and I want to know what you guys think?

yfyf20080814reqy0.jpg

I wear a 42 XL as well, it truly sucks. Long Arms FTL

Virtual high five:

virtual-high-five.GIF

Captainnerd: If I'm going to be honest, I like the suit a lot, but I don't like the pink shirt, the tie bar, the "no-break" hem on the pants, or the brown shoes. Like others have said on here, though - fashion is discretionary. Whatever you think looks best and are comfortable with. As sure as you're clean and professional, I don't think the interviewers will care.

not a fan of the tie bar.. though I do see their use. don't like the pocket square either.

see, it doesn't matter if that's "fasion" or not, but the average person is going to look at you like you're weird. if my wife thinks that looks stupid, I don't care if it's in style or not, I'm not going to wear it.

BUT... it looks fine. you will not be turned away from the door at an interview for wearing that.

Probably could use darker shoes as well, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

(Its funny. The people who are going to be interviewing us? Doctors, who according to the style forum guys have no sense of style whatsoever, and current med students, who are the ones that are giving this bad advice anyway. So no one will have the fashion sense to count "dimples" in our ties. Your efforts to buy the $1500 armani suit would be wasted. ;) )

What do you guys think is better: pleated or flatfront pants? I personally prefer flatfront but the suit I'm getting comes with pleated pants. I can get them to make them flatfront for $35...

What do you guys think is better: pleated or flatfront pants? I personally prefer flatfront but the suit I'm getting comes with pleated pants. I can get them to make them flatfront for $35...
I got flat front on my new suit because I also prefer them, but as long as they don't look like MC Hammer pants, it shouldn't matter. I don't think I'd pay any more to make them flat front. I have a pleated front suit and it looks fine and doesn't cause any problems.

I wish my suit was that nice. I almost went for a heavily-discounted Brooks Brothers suit during their winter sale (half off!), but I opted for economy and went with Nautica which I still find pretty decent.

I feel you on the weird sizes thing, though. I'm fairly stocky (5'8"-5'9", 185 with not much body fat at all) and it's really hard to find 33" shirts with 17" necks.

I wish my suit was that nice. I almost went for a heavily-discounted Brooks Brothers suit during their winter sale (half off!), but I opted for economy and went with Nautica which I still find pretty decent.

I feel you on the weird sizes thing, though. I'm fairly stocky (5'8"-5'9", 185 with not much body fat at all) and it's really hard to find 33" shirts with 17" necks.
I'm stocky myself, so I need a 17.5" neck with 34-35" sleeves.

"So, hants, why do you think your a good fit for UC...wait, where'd he go??"

Demetri Martin: "Camouflage really doesn't work in urban settings. It just makes you stand out. Like 'look, there's an @$$ho!e*.' But when you're in the woods, you're more like 'be careful, there may be an @$$ho!e out here' "

Okay, you win.

------------

I finally decided on an outfit and I want to know what you guys think?

yfyf20080814reqy0.jpg

Other than the tie bar - great choice for interviewing. Nice example of a suit with a ticket pocket. Shorten the tie a bit, and consider a Pratt knot or half-Windsor for that collar, since the four-in-hand looks a bit lost in the semi-spread collar.
Sleeve length looks great with just a hint of cuff showing.

Good choice on shoes - just remember to match belt with shoes.

Good luck on interviewing, and if you don't get in the first time - tell them you'll just interview again, until you get in. I would say you look more professionally dressed than 80-90% of the other applicants.

Other gentlemen on the forum - pay attention - CaptainNerd has it down perfectly. This is where you should aim.

Last edited:
oh my god this thread is adorable!

Other than the tie bar - great choice for interviewing. Nice example of a suit with a ticket pocket. Shorten the tie a bit, and consider a Pratt knot or half-Windsor for that collar, since the four-in-hand looks a bit lost in the semi-spread collar.
Sleeve length looks great with just a hint of cuff showing.

Good choice on shoes - just remember to match belt with shoes.

Good luck on interviewing, and if you don't get in the first time - tell them you'll just interview again, until you get in. I would say you look more professionally dressed than 80-90% of the other applicants.

Other gentlemen on the forum - pay attention - CaptainNerd has it down perfectly. This is where you should aim.

I'm sorry but I just think that is not a good looking ensemble at all.

Everytime I went to an interview, all the guys wore black. (and ofcourse everytime we walked past a group of students/faculty they would call out, "where's the funeral?")

You're taking a risk if you go in anything but black. But it helps you stand out. Like I said though, it's a risk. The only thing I did to make myself stand out a bit was to wear a white/silver tie and a dark gray dress shirt under my suit.
To be honest, I could say the same thing about black suites. You're taking a risk because you look like every other boring ass student intent on sucking up to admissions committees. When kids in NON-black suites come in, the committees are probably like,"Hey! This kid is different!"

It's not like they are going to think poorly of you for wearing a completely professional business suit that isn't black, or navy blue.

Dude... I spent a good deal of money on my black suit... I rarely spend money on clothes. I'm going to wear it with pride. We're interviewing for an opportunity to wear the SAME WHITE COAT as EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR CO-WORKERS for the ENTIRETY OF OUR CAREERS! Come freaking on. Make what's inside of your mind flash for the committee. Grey, blue, green or polka dot suits don't provide human beings with competent and compassionate health care... Other, caring human beings do.

Why aren't we talking about how we are going to keep our cool during the interview or how we are going to accurately project our true personalities and values in spite of our nervousness? Why are we talking about clothes? It makes me sad that this thread has gotten so many posts.

I don't mean any disrespect or anything... but I know pretty much all of you guys are highly intelligent, dedicated people. You're bigger and better than this, in my mind.

To be honest, I could say the same thing about black suites. You're taking a risk because you look like every other boring ass student intent on sucking up to admissions committees. When kids in NON-black suites come in, the committees are probably like,"Hey! This kid is different!"

It's not like they are going to think poorly of you for wearing a completely professional business suit that isn't black, or navy blue.

Last edited:

Don't spend the extra money. Pleats are perfectly fine.

Why are people responding to captainnerd's post with actual advice? Aren't those outfits supposed to be a complete joke?

Unless I'm missing some excellent sarcasm, I'm a little worried..

Damn, all of a sudden, you guys have become total divas.
I like nice things - clothes, in this case - just as much as anyone else, but man, blue socks? Seriously? I don't think my dad would leave the house in blue socks, and he wears undershirts and bathing suits everywhere he goes.

Okay so maybe he would go out in blue socks...

ok guys, now to move away from suits, what kind of portfolio or briefcase or bag are you bringing? my bf is going to be applying to phd programs and has nothing suitable and i figured id turn to my wonderful SDners for help... help, please..

I didn't bring anything. Are you required to bring a bunch of papers to PhD interviews? Intuition tells me that he should bring a case that matches his shoes, but I have no idea what the norm is on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.