merger = no required USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkprincess246

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
maybe this is a stupid questions, but Freida still says that usmle is req for some programs. Is this just because it is not updated or can programs still not interview individuals because of a lack of a USMLE score? And if so, can only a step 2 score account for the USMLE requirement. I was told that in the past it did. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Search function is your friend.

Reactions: 1 users
It should be and currently is required more than ever before.
Merger = Equality.. that cannot happen if applicants are taking two enitrely separate exams

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just found the Freida requirements to be odd. For example, the home hospital for my program on Freida says that USMLE is required. this sounds almost impossible to be as it is a AOA program. Would it look unprofessional if I emailed programs to confirm this?

I just found the Freida requirements to be odd. For example, the home hospital for my program on Freida says that USMLE is required. this sounds almost impossible to be as it is a AOA program. Would it look unprofessional if I emailed programs to confirm this?
No, it won't! They are your base hospital and it is an important part of your application. Just be polite about it. However, better yet, since you are at the hospital, why don't you just drop by the PC office to ask the question directly? I would do that if I were you

maybe this is a stupid questions, but Freida still says that usmle is req for some programs. Is this just because it is not updated or can programs still not interview individuals because of a lack of a USMLE score? And if so, can only a step 2 score account for the USMLE requirement. I was told that in the past it did. Thanks!

The merger did NOT require residency programs to accept COMLEX scores in lieu of USMLE. That is still to the programs discretion.

The merger required AOA programs to meet ACGME requirements in order to become ACGME accredited.

AOA-to-ACGME as well as DO friendly ACGME programs that accepted COMLEX scores in lieu of USMLE will continue to do so.

As someone who applied with COMLEX-only scores, I will say that FRIEDA was a good tool. However there were still about 20 programs that I did not get a clear picture of requirements and so emailed the PC using the contact info on FRIEDA or on their official website. Most responded. For those that didn't and had like 1-2 DO's per class, I did not apply.

Reactions: 4 users
The merger did NOT require residency programs to accept COMLEX scores in lieu of USMLE. That is still to the programs discretion.

The merger required AOA programs to meet ACGME requirements in order to become ACGME accredited.

AOA-to-ACGME as well as DO friendly ACGME programs that accepted COMLEX scores in lieu of USMLE will continue to do so.

As someone who applied with COMLEX-only scores, I will say that FRIEDA was a good tool. However there were still about 20 programs that I did not get a clear picture of requirements and so emailed the PC using the contact info on FRIEDA or on their official website. Most responded. For those that didn't and had like 1-2 DO's per class, I did not apply.
How did the cycle go, in terms of DO with comlex only going IM? You get decent response from MD programs or mostly AOA?

If you are at all a reasonable student and you want all your option open...you have to take the step

Reactions: 6 users

I emailed schools to clarify this as well. Most programs I applied to took my COMLEX score and didn’t ask me about USMLE, but know that if you only submit COMLEX some programs might not interview you.

It also obviously varies a ton by specialty and program. I applied Path, COMLEX only, and got invites from top tier programs. But Path is objectively the least competitive specialty for AMGs.

Reactions: 1 users
How did the cycle go, in terms of DO with comlex only going IM? You get decent response from MD programs or mostly AOA?
It was good. I had 16 interview invites (applied to 55). I think it was because I applied and prepared very smartly (using FRIEDA and contacting PC's early on to see that they would ACCEPT comlex scores in lieu of COMLEX). 1/3 of my invites were university, 1/3 were communiversity, and the other 1/3 were community programs (most were ACGME, a few were previously AOA). All those university programs have some DO's and IMG's on their roster (some more than others) but almost all also had USMDs as well usually from the base MD school. 2 of the university programs were either AOA previously, or had a dual-accredited IM program.

I was asked why I didn't take USMLE at one interview and was told by that faculty member that it wasn't perceived negatively as long as you scored well and had a strong application all around (especially letters as per them).

My close friend who applied IM had very similar COMELX scores and USMLE scores in the 235+ and received more university/stronger community invites than I did. So without a doubt, having the step scores helps in IM especially if wanting to stay in academics/sub specialize in competitive areas like cards/GI/HO, and I knew this going into the cycle.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
The merger makes Step more necessary, not less so.

Reactions: 7 users
It was good. I had 16 interview invites (applied to 55). I think it was because I applied and prepared very smartly (using FRIEDA and contacting PC's early on to see that they would ACCEPT comlex scores in lieu of COMLEX). 1/3 of my invites were university, 1/3 were communiversity, and the other 1/3 were community programs (most were ACGME, a few were previously AOA). All those university programs have some DO's and IMG's on their roster (some more than others) but almost all also had USMDs as well usually from the base MD school. 2 of the university programs were either AOA previously, or had a dual-accredited IM program.

I was asked why I didn't take USMLE at one interview and was told by that faculty member that it wasn't perceived negatively as long as you scored well and had a strong application all around (especially letters as per them).

My close friend who applied IM had very similar COMELX scores and USMLE scores in the 235+ and received more university/stronger community invites than I did. So without a doubt, having the step scores helps in IM especially if wanting to stay in academics/sub specialize in competitive areas like cards/GI/HO, and I knew this going into the cycle.

thank you so much for your response! Did you do audition rotations as well? Did those help?