Metabolism, gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howtomedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently reading on metabolism and I wanted to make sure the way I understand the different steps was correct.

During a fasting state, the liver begins gluconeogenesis and creates glucose from molecules with 3-carbon backbones(like glycerol). The liver also starts glycogenolysis, breaking down glycogen into glucose. The glucose created from both gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis can enter the bloodstream for use in other organs.

The muscle also undergoes glycogenolysis from its own supply of glycogen but the glucose produced by muscle glycogenolysis is used exclusively/preferentially(?) by the muscle.

All other organs are receiving energy from the breakdown of triglycerides(in adipocytes) into free fatty acids which enter the bloodstream and enter other organs to be used in beta-oxidation(converts FFAs --> acetyl CoA for use in citric acid cycle).

During late starvation(8-12 hours in), FFAs are converted to acetyl CoA then converted into ketone bodies in the liver(ketogenesis). These ketone bodies leave the liver and travel to other organs that need energy. Once inside the organ, the ketone body is converted to acetyl CoA to be used in the citric acid cycle.

Some parts I'm confused about is the location of certain metabolism steps and why we would need to convert FFAs --> acetyl CoA --> ketone body since FFAs have a mechanism of travel in the bloodstream through lipoproteins. I would appreciate any help in clearing up my understanding of this section of metabolism!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Some parts I'm confused about is the location of certain metabolism steps and why we would need to convert FFAs --> acetyl CoA --> ketone body since FFAs have a mechanism of travel in the bloodstream through lipoproteins. I would appreciate any help in clearing up my understanding of this section of metabolism!

Several reasons. Even though fatty acids can travel through the blood bound to certain proteins, their concentration in the blood always has to be low because of the solubility issue. You can't have too many of these proteins floating in your blood at the same time - they'll start crashing out. And the more fatty acids you want to dissolve, the more you need of these proteins. Ketone bodies, on the other hand, are water-soluble and so can just float through the blood by themselves, without the need to be bound to anything.

Also, long-chain fatty acids cannot cross the blood-brain barrier and that's one of the most important reasons for ketone bodies' existence. The CNS must be fed at any cost and so to get energy to the CNS through the blood-brain barrier, small, soluble ketone bodies are used.

Reactions: 1 users