Methylphenidate ER Actavis vs Amneal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrandTheftAutumn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I work as a retail floater pharmacist and noticed that every store I go, methylphenidate ER manufactured by Amneal is replacing the ones from Actavis.
Are they really interchangeable? They look significantly different.
If I'm not mistaken, the Actavis ones are osmotic-conrolled release and also crush resistant, while Amneal ones look like a plain tablet.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I work as a retail floater pharmacist and noticed that every store I go, methylphenidate ER manufactured by Amneal is replacing the ones from Actavis.
Are they really interchangeable? They look significantly different.
If I'm not mistaken, the Actavis ones are osmotic-conrolled release and also crush resistant, while Amneal ones look like a plain tablet.
Thanks.

Don't you have a system/software to look this up?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They are according to the system.
But I'm not quite convinced and wanted to see what others know about this.

So are you assuming the liability that it is not? That's the manufacturer's job. If you checked the literature/references and it says they're are interchangeable, then they are.. You're not the scientist...you're the pharmacist. Unless you're paid to show that A = B, then I wouldn't go any further.

If you're digging for your own education then i guess continue...

Last edited:
Just switch it, if pt complains add comment and try to get other mfg in, or fax md if med out of stock.

I'm aware of the interchangeability, but I'm a bit skeptical considering Actavis methylphenidate ER is OROS and crush resistant, while Amneal looks nothing like that.

I'm aware of the interchangeability, but I'm a bit skeptical considering Actavis methylphenidate ER is OROS and crush resistant, while Amneal looks nothing like that.

Are you saying the rating is wrong?

I highly doubt they let this slip by on accident. If so they would correct it. You can't get in trouble if it's AB rated.

What does “assuming the liability” mean?

Also what ‘literature’ does one check to determine if two medications are interchangeable?

I'd say OP might be on the hook on the off chance the manufacturer fked up on the integrity or A/B rating. A patient could make the argument that OP knew about the non equivalence between the two drugs and did nothing about it. He's assuming a liability that should rest with the manufacturer. OP here is trying to say that the A/B rating is wrong; that's not his job but it seems like he's trying to be mr. super detective over here.

As for checking the literature, I think a few people here already threw some your way.

Last edited:
Are you saying the rating is wrong?

I highly doubt they let this slip by on accident. If so they would correct it. You can't get in trouble if it's AB rated.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the patients are getting the same therapeutic effect.
But I just thought they seemed pretty different in other means.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the patients are getting the same therapeutic effect.
But I just thought they seemed pretty different in other means.

Best thing you can do is let the parent know it's a new generic and to tell you if it doesn't seem to work as well.

The old ones lost their rating because like you say above the OROS wasn't used. If it occurs again, we may get the same result.

If I remember correctly Actavis was simply selling Concerta as an approved generic. This could be wrong but they might have had to stop now and are releasing their own generic.

I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll ask my parents how their kids do when they start this new generic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user