MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prashgopal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there who are applying/applied to MHa programs for fall 2014?
Which schools did you guys apply to and why?
I am applying to Cornell, JHU, Columbia, Mich and USC.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to UNC, looking into Johns Hopkins and Columbia. Trying to move back to the east coast, and UNC has a phenomenal program.

Applying to UNC, looking into Johns Hopkins and Columbia. Trying to move back to the east coast, and UNC has a phenomenal program.

Hi MJ,

Thanks for sharing your probable list of schools. I am an international applicant and thus I have a pretty basic doubt. I have selected my schools so far based on "International reputation" (Hopkins, for example). But going forward, how do you think one must short list schools? I thought it'd be wise to look at the local healthcare landscape, availability of large healthcare systems around the school (for internships and potential future job) and of course a state with a good economic climate (landing a job, I mean).
Any insight from you would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.

I will also be applying to MHA programs. I thought about creating a thread like this a week or so ago, but it didn't seem like the site (at least in this subforum) was all that active anymore. Hopefully we get some people currently in, or already graduated from, MHA/MHSA programs to participate along with a healthy dose of people intending to apply.

Anyway, I plan to apply to:
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
Columbia
University of California Berkeley

I am also considering Johns Hopkins, USC, and Indiana/Illinois, but will probably only do those if I free up some extra dough for applications.

Stats:
GPA - Probably in the high 3.4 to middle 3.5 range. SOPHAS hasn't calculated yet.
GRE: 163 verbal, 160 quant, 5 writing (just got my official scores today)
Work: 4 years (upon matriculation). Unrelated to Healthcare Admin, unfortunately.

I haven't submitted any applications yet. I am currently working on my statement of purpose. I would like to get most of my stuff done with by early next week to compensate for the notoriously slow processing of SOPHAS and to (hopefully) maximize my financial aid.

Hey all,

I'm applying to MPH and MHA programs this Fall.

I'm really interested in doing both policy and management and imagine my career delving into both administration and consulting as it progresses so I'd like a program that can offer me a well-rounded curriculum.

My stats:

Undergrad School: Competitive Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA: 3.65
Major/Minor: Critical Theory & Social Justice, Critical Race Theory emphasis, Biology minor
PostgradGPA: 4.0 (it's like, 6 classes, so you may want to take that with a grain of salt)
GRE: V: 162 QR: 152 Writing: 5 (May 2013); V: 163 QR: 157 Writing: 5.5 (November 2013)
Experience/Research: orientation leader (twice), orientation core, Co-chair institutional club for new student programming, student administrator for STEM tutoring program for college students, member of national sorority as well as various positions within organization, intern at private ophthalmologist office, humanitarian service trip in Kenya, spring immersion trip (service trip) to West Virginia, Chemistry and Biology tutor, Biology TA, 2 years in Community HealthCorps as health educator and outreach coordinator at an FQHC (developed and implemented a health ed program beginning the first term), currently office administrator for family company (not health related)

SOPHAS verified 10/1/13, mailed 10/17/13

Applied:
Johns Hopkins (MHA) 10/10
George Washington (MHA) 10/17
UNC Chapel Hill (MHA) submitted 9/9, last LOR received 10/11
Yale (MPH for HPM dept, health care management track) 10/17
UCLA (MPH for HPM, healthcare management track) 10/17
Columbia (MHA) 12/1
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/11), GW (12/16), Yale (1/9), UNC Chapel Hill (1/22), UCLA (2/19)
Rejected: None
Waitlisted: None
Withdrew: Columbia (1/30)
Interviewed: Johns Hopkins (11/4; met with faculty 11/20), GW (11/21), UNC (1/13)
Attending: UNC Chapel Hill :happy:

Last edited:
Oh, and I submitted my apps to UNC and Johns Hopkins around the same time as SOPHAS.

I have an interview with Johns Hopkins on Monday and GW just contacted me today for an interview. I'm kind of considering an on-campus interview so I can talk to faculty etc., though I can do it via Skype (as I will do with Johns Hopkins).
Is anyone else considering Boston's MBA?

Prashgopal, I think you're right on the nose with your process for choosing schools. If you do want to work internationally you might choose different schools than if you want to stay in the States. I know someone who went to Johns Hopkins and said their rep has been really helpful abroad and gave her credit with her coworkers.

Last edited:
I'm applying this cycle as well!

Stats:
GPA: 3.75
GRE: 166 V, 165 Q, 4.5 writing
Work: 2 years (upon matriculation) as a project coordinator for several public health research projects. No real healthcare admin experience unfortunately, though I do volunteer in the ER in a local hospital. Also other relevant leadership experiences throughout college.

Applying to:
UCLA
Johns Hopkins
Columbia
UMichigan

I'm trying to decide if I also want to apply to Harvard, UNC, and/or Emory. Does anyone have any experience or heard anything about the programs at those schools?

I haven't submitted my applications yet... I'm hoping to get everything finalized and submitted by the end of next week (judging from the responses in this thread, hopefully I'm not too late!)

Submitted the app to UNC (still need to have my recommenders turn in their letters). Good luck to everyone!

Hey everyone!

I'm applying to:
Columbia
George Washington
University of Illinois

I submitted my Sophas application and it got processed within a few days. However, I'm yet to receive my WES evaluation reports an I'll be giving my GRE only next week.

Experience: 1 year (as an intern at a dental hospital in India)
GPA: not sure as I havn't received my WES evaluation yet. I got 68% which isn't bad according to indian standards but I'm not sure how it'll look in terms of GPA. Nervous about that.
TOEFL: 115
GRE: Giving it next week!

Hi all, I am also applying for MHA programs this fall.

GPA: 3.5, big PAC 12 university
GRE: V:157 Q:152, W 4.5 (wish this was higher, only took it once but then moved and started a new job and haven't been able to retake)
Work: 4 years total in supply chain mangement/group purchasing at 2 different health systems. Also have volunteered consistenly with the Epilepsy Foundation for the last 4 years.

Applying to:
UWashington
Rush
UMichigan

Have only submitted my application to UW and got the invite for their interview day. Sounds like I need to get the other two in ASAP, although their deadlines are not until December.

Who is using HAMPCAS? I'm a little confused about how it works- once you submit everything, it takes them up to 4 weeks to verify and process? So if they aren't able to do that by the deadline you are SOL?

Honestly, a lot of programs aren't even looking at applications now, and I think if you submit apps in November you would still be considered early so no one should stress about it if submitting this month. I'm also going to guess that HAMPCAS works like SOPHAS and AMCAS- you submit your app to them and they sift through your grades, verify them, categorize them, etc. and then send off the app to the schools you indicated. If you e-submit to HAMPCAS on the day of your school's deadline it is considered on time, although it will probably take a while for HAMPCAS to verify because a lot of other applicants will have rushed to finish at the same time. So while your app will still be considered by your schools it will be towards the end of the line and you will probably not be very happy about that.

To iloveboba, fyi I just spoke with Johns Hopkins this week and they said they normally don't begin to review applicants until mid-November and most decisions aren't made until March. You're absolutely not too late!

Honestly, a lot of programs aren't even looking at applications now, and I think if you submit apps in November you would still be considered early so no one should stress about it if submitting this month. I'm also going to guess that HAMPCAS works like SOPHAS and AMCAS- you submit your app to them and they sift through your grades, verify them, categorize them, etc. and then send off the app to the schools you indicated. If you e-submit to HAMPCAS on the day of your school's deadline it is considered on time, although it will probably take a while for HAMPCAS to verify because a lot of other applicants will have rushed to finish at the same time. So while your app will still be considered by your schools it will be towards the end of the line and you will probably not be very happy about that.

To iloveboba, fyi I just spoke with Johns Hopkins this week and they said they normally don't begin to review applicants until mid-November and most decisions aren't made until March. You're absolutely not too late!

I haven't applied to any schools, but a girl in one of my groups for a senior seminar class told me that the Univ. of Georgia emailed her and said that they won't give her any word on acceptance or decline until mid to late January. She got into Saint Louis and Loyola, but she was kind of upset that UGA doesn't do a comprehensive analysis of who gets in and who doesn't for many until January. She did tell me that Saint Louis acceptance was extremely quick. My theory as to why UGA may do that is b/c they understand that it is the second best MPH program closest to the CDC headquarters in Atlanta (since Emory is literally in the same building as CDC headquarters). So maybe they sit there and realize there a lot of people that may have had past CDC internships, leading to possibly a high volume of applications every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emma1600, thanks for the heads up! Good luck with your interviews, hopefully they went well. On another note, can I ask why you applied to Yale?

Emma1600, thanks for the heads up! Good luck with your interviews, hopefully they went well. On another note, can I ask why you applied to Yale?

Thanks! One of my more influential reasons for applying to Yale is that one of my very good high school friends graduated from their program last year and she is very intelligent and has similar interests in and perspectives of U.S. health care. I was a little hesitant because their program isn't accredited by CAHME, however, I'm very attracted to its content and how it's structured. It seems to marry the best of public health curriculum (social/behavioral basis for health care) with practical management skills and knowledge-many of the management/business classes are through Yale's School of Management, which I think is also a positive.

Thanks! One of my more influential reasons for applying to Yale is that one of my very good high school friends graduated from their program last year and she is very intelligent and has similar interests in and perspectives of U.S. health care. I was a little hesitant because their program isn't accredited by CAHME, however, I'm very attracted to its content and how it's structured. It seems to marry the best of public health curriculum (social/behavioral basis for health care) with practical management skills and knowledge-many of the management/business classes are through Yale's School of Management, which I think is also a positive.

Good to know! I was wondering if I should apply to Yale, maybe I'll look more into their program. Thanks for sharing :)

Hi Guys..

I am applying to the following schools..and should have the applications out before weekend....

Columbia(Health Policy & Management)
Michigan (MHSA)
JHU (MHA)
Yale School of Public Health

My Profile :

GPA: 3.97 (WES) , International Physician with 5+ years of experience as a clinician, management_leadership position and as a social-entrepreneur
GMAT: 730

I am open to suggestions regarding additional schools to apply to where i would be a competitive applicant..

Last edited:
GPA: 3.97 (WES) , International Physician with 5+ years of experience as a clinician, management_leadership position and as a social-entrepreneur
GMAT: 730

I am open to suggestions regarding additional schools to apply to where i would be a competitive applicant..

Seriously?
If the school you went to was on a 4.0 scale then if you got declined I think everybody else would get declined.
Isn't the GMAT out of 800? You really think that you might get rejected for having pretty much a 4.0 throughout 4yrs of university and a 95percentile in the GMAT?

My Medical school did not do a GPA..I had my transcripts evaluated by WES (World Education Services) and the converted US GPA was 3.97..All of my colleges required a WES evaluation which is kind of strange (as most top universities should be able to do this in house)..

I hope what you say is right :) I really want to attend one of the above mentioned schools

Yes, the GMAT is out of 800..A 730 is around 95th percentile for the test..

Last edited:
Just submitted the Sophas application today...Hope they do not take a long time to process my application as my GPA has already been calculated by WES and sent to them a month back. I also submitted the JHU Bloomberg school application today, hope to hear from them anytime soon. Anyone here attending the Columbia Open House tomorrow?

Realized I put my stats in the MPH thread and not this one.

Stats:
GPA: 3.10 biomedical engineering w/pre-med
GRE: Don't remember the exact numbers, but they're all above 50%
Work: Currently working a full-time job at a well-known electronic medical records company, and I'll have about 1.5 years of experience prior to grad school. Also did neuroengineering research for about 6 months as an undergrad.

Turned in my app to UNC about two weeks ago, but I'm still waiting on my LORs.

applied from top 50 public

Last edited:
Just submitted the Sophas application today...Hope they do not take a long time to process my application as my GPA has already been calculated by WES and sent to them a month back. I also submitted the JHU Bloomberg school application today, hope to hear from them anytime soon. Anyone here attending the Columbia Open House tomorrow?

Ah, I really wanted to go to the open house! Did you go? I would love a mini report if possible :) I've been debating about applying to Columbia. I guess I'm partially concerned about the cost of living in NYC.

Also, hughesn2 is right- you're basically a shoe-in to any program. You have incredible experience + GPA + intellectual aptitude. Unless you somehow accidentally write an incredibly trite personal statement, I wouldn't worry a bit

Yes I did attend. The Event started off by the Head of fin. aid going over the process of applying and the overall cost of attendance and avenues to seek for potential scholarship and fin aid. We were then introduced to departmental heads from each of the primary departments (health policy, Epi, Bio-stat etc etc )...At the end we were allowed to ask questions to both the department heads and to the 2nd year students...All in all a pretty informative session with over 100 people in attendance. The biggest takeaway for me was the fact that the overall program and tuition is for the entire degree (MPH , MHA etc) and not per credit, so one has flexibility with classes. One can for example take just the 45 mandatory credits (needed to graduate) in the Mailman School, and take the remaining 15 credits at the Columbia Law school or Columbia Business school (A big thing for MHA applicants in my opinion)...Yale does the same thing with the Y, SOM. I was amongst only a handful of folks in attendance that had already submitted the application so most of the Q&A's were about Admissions, applications, Personal statements etc..Columbia campus is an awesome place to go to school, but I agree with you that its quite expensive to live in even if you get student housing (through the lottery)...I am going to weigh in my options

Offered an interview at VCU today!
Anyone else have interviews scheduled soon?

Does anyone know whether schools begin to inform early applicants about their admission decisions earlier? I have applied already and really want a decision by early-mid January so that I can weigh in my options...

UPitt's MHA program:
For those of you looking to for prospective CAMHE accredited MHA programs seriously consider applying to Pitt's MHA program in the Pitt Graduate School of Public Health. What's in Pittsburgh you ask? Opportunities in the health care that is what! This city is all about health care, period. Whether it is the $10 billion dollar UPMC Health network, Highmark (the largest insurer in Pennsylvania), VA hospitals, The Children's Institute and much more, Pittsburgh has it all. Further, the Pitt MHA program monopolizes the administrative residencies with these institutions, so if you want to do your residency at a top 10 hospital like UPMC guaranteed this program is as close to a sure thing as it comes.
What makes the Pitt program truly unique:

Residency match- Pitt arranges for the preceptors to pitch to students about residencies reserved for Pitt MHA students. Then Pitt students compete with fellow classmates for residency positions guaranteed to go to a Pitt MHA student. There are quite a diversity of residencies to choose from to help you develop into a health care leader and professional. Of course you can even apply outside the match to nationally competitive internships as some students do as well.

Extended residency programs- Start your residency in January of your first year and gain 16 months of experience when you graduate as opposed to 3 month summer internship (which is the norm for most MHA programs). This innovation is truly something that makes this program unique and separates students post grad in the job search/ fellowship process.

Class sizes are small and there are between 15-20 MHAs in the program. This has its pro’s and con’s. Pros: Small numbers is how they are able offer the match program and arrange for each student to have a unique mentorship with health executives in the field. Cons: Artificially derived "top 10" ranked programs have more people (35-140 students). You decide which is more important.

Investment in the Program- This program is the now the focus of development for Pitt Public Health. The faculty are determined to make this program one of the best in the nation. They have been making huge investments in renovating and adding on to the school for the past five years especially. Since the University has one of the fastest growing endowments in the country, the future is bright!

Not to mention it is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. I thought it would be steely, industrial, and gray before I came to visit but it was not at all like that. It is a large city with plenty to do and a great place to live and learn. I definitely recommend at least applying and come for a visit if you can. You might just get blown away.

Does anyone know whether schools begin to inform early applicants about their admission decisions earlier? I have applied already and really want a decision by early-mid January so that I can weigh in my options...

Generally, I think schools vacillate between giving early acceptances and wanting to see a larger pool of applicants before making decisions. With that said, many MPH/MHA programs do not promise early decisions, but say that they may give them to the right people.

I don't know about some of your specific schools, but I can tell you what I know about Johns Hopkins and Yale.

My friend who graduated from Yale's MPH program got her acceptance at the end of December and it was the earliest I have ever heard of anyone receiving an acceptance from them. But also take into account that she was applying for epi, not HPM. I think many acceptances from Yale are given out in January, but they continuously make decisions until March.

I had an interview with Johns Hopkins 2 weeks ago and just visited campus yesterday. I was told that although it is still early in the process they will give out early decisions to applicants with work experience. I don't know when that will be, but my impression is that it will be soon. But they do tend to make decisions through March. I suppose there just isn't a guarantee of an early decision, but you could get lucky.

I see that GW isn't on your list, but fyi, they are a true rolling admissions program. Their goal is to give out decisions within 6-8 weeks of receiving your application.

BTW, thanks for sharing your impression of the Columbia open house! It was super helpful. I think I may apply once I get back home. It can never hurt to apply and, if accepted, see what kind of financial aid you get.

I had an interview with Johns Hopkins 2 weeks ago and just visited campus yesterday.

Is the interview by invitation? Or do you have to schedule it yourself. I submitted my JHU application last week, when should I expect an interview call (if any)...? And do you have to travel to JHU or can you do the interview over the phone..

UPitt's MHA program:
For those of you looking to for prospective CAMHE accredited MHA programs seriously consider applying to Pitt's MHA program in the Pitt Graduate School of Public Health. What's in Pittsburgh you ask? Opportunities in the health care that is what! This city is all about health care, period. Whether it is the $10 billion dollar UPMC Health network, Highmark (the largest insurer in Pennsylvania), VA hospitals, The Children's Institute and much more, Pittsburgh has it all. Further, the Pitt MHA program monopolizes the administrative residencies with these institutions, so if you want to do your residency at a top 10 hospital like UPMC guaranteed this program is as close to a sure thing as it comes.
What makes the Pitt program truly unique:

Residency match- Pitt arranges for the preceptors to pitch to students about residencies reserved for Pitt MHA students. Then Pitt students compete with fellow classmates for residency positions guaranteed to go to a Pitt MHA student. There are quite a diversity of residencies to choose from to help you develop into a health care leader and professional. Of course you can even apply outside the match to nationally competitive internships as some students do as well.

Extended residency programs- Start your residency in January of your first year and gain 16 months of experience when you graduate as opposed to 3 month summer internship (which is the norm for most MHA programs). This innovation is truly something that makes this program unique and separates students post grad in the job search/ fellowship process.

Class sizes are small and there are between 15-20 MHAs in the program. This has its pro’s and con’s. Pros: Small numbers is how they are able offer the match program and arrange for each student to have a unique mentorship with health executives in the field. Cons: Artificially derived "top 10" ranked programs have more people (35-140 students). You decide which is more important.

Investment in the Program- This program is the now the focus of development for Pitt Public Health. The faculty are determined to make this program one of the best in the nation. They have been making huge investments in renovating and adding on to the school for the past five years especially. Since the University has one of the fastest growing endowments in the country, the future is bright!

Not to mention it is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. I thought it would be steely, industrial, and gray before I came to visit but it was not at all like that. It is a large city with plenty to do and a great place to live and learn. I definitely recommend at least applying and come for a visit if you can. You might just get blown away.

@kbkiks08, I actually added UPitt last minute when I was submitting my SOPHAS app! The program seems strong, and of course its affiliation with UPMC is a big draw. The main thing I am concerned about, however, is the cost of tuition--I was pretty shocked when I saw how much it would cost to attend (especially for out of state students)! Do you know how well they do in terms of offering scholarships/financial aid? Also, anything else you want to share about your experience there? I love hearing from current and past students about their programs and experiences there :)

Is the interview by invitation? Or do you have to schedule it yourself. I submitted my JHU application last week, when should I expect an interview call (if any)...? And do you have to travel to JHU or can you do the interview over the phone..

To give you an idea, I submitted my application on 9/18 and my last recommendation was received on 10/10. They contacted me for an interview 10/25. Their website says that an interview is not required as part of the application process so perhaps they don't interview everyone. I actually did mine over Skype since I live pretty far from Baltimore, which seems to be their standard practice for applicants who live out of the area.

I actually just got an invitation to interview from JHU! I submitted my application a bit later, on 11/16, and it was completed on 11/19, so I really wasn't expecting to hear from them this soon! I'll be doing a Skype interview as well. @Emma1600, how was your experience interviewing with them? What sort of questions did they ask you?

GPA: 3.29, Business Major
GRE: 70% V, 71% Q waiting on Writing

Experience:
Administrative intern at large hospital
Patient representative intern at large hospital
Vice President + Co-Founder of a public health organization on campus
Volunteer with several tutoring organizations

I'm mainly looking for help in narrowing down my list of schools- because I'm not sure where my stats and profile would get me accepted. If you could offer any feedback, id really appreciate it.

The following is my preliminary list of schools and I'm trying to cut down on the number of schools

All for MHA/ MPH in Health Admin/ Management positions

Columbia
Drexel
Emory
G.W.
Mt. Sinai
Ohio
St. Louis
Temple
Boston
Tulane
UCLA
Alabama
UMD
Michigan
UNC
USC Price
University of Southern Florida
Yale
Washington U.
Georgetown
Rush
Cornell
Trinity
Carnegie Mellon
UPitt
Virginia Commonwealth
NYU (MPA in Health Management)

Do you guys think its necessary for me to apply to a bunch of schools? I think I'll have solid LOR's but im just really nervous that I wont get accepted and I dont know how to narrow down the list.. which schools would classify as mid-tier and would accept someone with my stats? Any help would be much appreciated.. :)

I actually just got an invitation to interview from JHU! I submitted my application a bit later, on 11/16, and it was completed on 11/19, so I really wasn't expecting to hear from them this soon! I'll be doing a Skype interview as well. @Emma1600, how was your experience interviewing with them? What sort of questions did they ask you?

Nice! I had a great experience interviewing with them. It was actually pretty short. There weren't any crazy out of the blue questions- you know, what do you want to be when you grow up, why Hopkins etc. She also asked me a specific question re: my personal statement. It was not a stressful experience at all.

GPA: 3.29, Business Major
GRE: 70% V, 71% Q waiting on Writing

Experience:
Administrative intern at large hospital
Patient representative intern at large hospital
Vice President + Co-Founder of a public health organization on campus
Volunteer with several tutoring organizations

I'm mainly looking for help in narrowing down my list of schools- because I'm not sure where my stats and profile would get me accepted. If you could offer any feedback, id really appreciate it.

The following is my preliminary list of schools and I'm trying to cut down on the number of schools

All for MHA/ MPH in Health Admin/ Management positions

Columbia
Drexel
Emory
G.W.
Mt. Sinai
Ohio
St. Louis
Temple
Boston
Tulane
UCLA
Alabama
UMD
Michigan
UNC
USC Price
University of Southern Florida
Yale
Washington U.
Georgetown
Rush
Cornell
Trinity
Carnegie Mellon
UPitt
Virginia Commonwealth
NYU (MPA in Health Management)

Do you guys think its necessary for me to apply to a bunch of schools? I think I'll have solid LOR's but im just really nervous that I wont get accepted and I dont know how to narrow down the list.. which schools would classify as mid-tier and would accept someone with my stats? Any help would be much appreciated.. :)

I'm not sure if I could go through and pick the schools that you should apply to based off of your stats, but I could give you ways that could help you narrow down the schools you should apply to. Applying to all of those schools would cost a lot of money.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Could I see myself living there for two years? Or perhaps even the long-term, as schools generally have strong relationships with businesses in the area.
2. How important is it for me to go to a school that is CAHME accredited?
3. Do my stats meet the minimum requirement? (A lot of schools list them on their website)
4. If I get accepted but don't get any funding (as that's common), could I afford tuition?
5. Does the school offer certifications, courses, or extracurricular activities in an area that I want to "specialize" in? (For example, I have project management experience in the healthcare IT field, so I'm particularly interested in schools that have patient health information certificates so that I can further advance in my career and someday become CIO).

Hopefully those questions give you a good start for narrowing down your list. I'm applying to a max of 3 schools, which is on the lower end of the spectrum as far as applying to grad schools go. It's not that I'm picky, it's just that I already know what I want, and I wouldn't be happy spending +$40K for most schools in the country.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if I could go through and pick the schools that you should apply to based off of your stats, but I could give you ways that could help you narrow down the schools you should apply to. Applying to all of those schools would cost a lot of money.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Could I see myself living there for two years? Or perhaps even the long-term, as schools generally have strong relationships with businesses in the area.
2. How important is it for me to go to a school that is CAHME accredited?
3. Do my stats meet the minimum requirement? (A lot of schools list them on their website)
4. If I get accepted but don't get any funding (as that's common), could I afford tuition?
5. Does the school offer certifications, courses, or extracurricular activities in an area that I want to "specialize" in? (For example, I have project management experience in the healthcare IT field, so I'm particularly interested in schools that have patient health information certificates so that I can further advance in my career and someday become CIO).

Hopefully those questions give you a good start for narrowing down your list. I'm applying to a max of 3 schools, which is on the lower end of the spectrum as far as applying to grad schools go. It's not that I'm picky, it's just that I already know what I want, and I wouldn't be happy spending +$40K for most schools in the country.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks so much for your helpful advice. My stats meet the minimum requirement for those schools since most say about 50% gre and 3.0 gpa and im honestly willing to relocate to any of the locations of those schools because i want to begin my masters as soon as possible.

I'm just wondering if a 3.29 is too low for being accepted to a good school? Should I remove some of the schools from the list and add less competitive schools to the list? I'm just having a hard time narrowing it bc im so nervous about not being accepted somewhere..

Hey thanks so much for your helpful advice. My stats meet the minimum requirement for those schools since most say about 50% gre and 3.0 gpa and im honestly willing to relocate to any of the locations of those schools because i want to begin my masters as soon as possible.

I'm just wondering if a 3.29 is too low for being accepted to a good school? Should I remove some of the schools from the list and add less competitive schools to the list? I'm just having a hard time narrowing it bc im so nervous about not being accepted somewhere..

Well, glad you're not picky about location. I'm currently in the Midwest right now and I'm itching to get back to the east coast (preferably in the south). Definitely not a cold-natured person!

If you want to play it on the safe side, why don't you pick a handful of the "top schools" and a handful of some that seem to have high acceptance rates? (Tulane and BU come to mind, but someone correct me if I'm wrong)

3.29 is not too low. "Too low" is below minimum standards. I've already talked to a professor at one of the schools that I'm applying to, and I expressed concerns about my GRE/GPA scores. He asked if they were above minimum standards, to which I replied with a "Yes", and he laughed and said that's all they care about. Apparently this is the case for a lot of schools. If you submit strong LORs and a well-drafted SOP, then the numbers don't matter as much.

Hello all.

Finished up my apps to UNC and Columbia this morning.

Was invited for a late January interview by Minnesota.

I am now working on applications for a few additional schools that interested me (Medical University of South Carolina, Cornell, maybe Texas A&M).

Well, glad you're not picky about location. I'm currently in the Midwest right now and I'm itching to get back to the east coast (preferably in the south). Definitely not a cold-natured person!

If you want to play it on the safe side, why don't you pick a handful of the "top schools" and a handful of some that seem to have high acceptance rates? (Tulane and BU come to mind, but someone correct me if I'm wrong)

3.29 is not too low. "Too low" is below minimum standards. I've already talked to a professor at one of the schools that I'm applying to, and I expressed concerns about my GRE/GPA scores. He asked if they were above minimum standards, to which I replied with a "Yes", and he laughed and said that's all they care about. Apparently this is the case for a lot of schools. If you submit strong LORs and a well-drafted SOP, then the numbers don't matter as much.

I definitely agree with this. Stats get you in the door, but your work experience, personal statement and interviews will get you an offer. Apply to a few schools you feel like may be a reach, apply to some where you feel like you have a good chance and apply to 1 or 2 safeties. I think 8 schools would actually be a bit high.

If you still aren't sure about which schools to apply to, call them up and ask them what type of student excels in their program or how they treat various aspects of the application. You can even go over your stats with them and ask what their opinion is. I've found admissions people to be extremely helpful with this. Just remember to be professional and confident since any interaction with admissions could affect your app!

Last edited:
Nice! I had a great experience interviewing with them. It was actually pretty short. There weren't any crazy out of the blue questions- you know, what do you want to be when you grow up, why Hopkins etc. She also asked me a specific question re: my personal statement. It was not a stressful experience at all.

Thanks! Good to know it's not too long--I have to rush to work afterward. Fingers crossed for a good interview!

Any international students, got any reply about interviews/admissions?

Hi! My applications have been sent out and I'd really like an honest opinion from ya'll as to whether I hold a chance of getting accepted.

My stats:
GPA: 3.87 (WES evaluation)
TOEFL iBT: 115/120
GRE: 158 V (78th percentile), 152 Q (50th percentile), 4.0 AW (not sure what happened there)

I'm a dentist from India. I have one year of experience working in a dental hospital. I have conducted and attended several dental camps and health awareness programs. I have volunteered in the past to teach English to rescued child laborers and have provided free dental treatment to underprivileged students. Also worked for a food & lifestyle website for a year but that's unrelated to MHA.

I'm applying to:
UPitt
Columbia
Tulane
GWU
University of Illinois
University of Oklahoma

Might also apply to Texas A&M Health Center

I know my GRE scores aren't great. However, my SOP looks pretty strong and I have experience in the health care field. Do you think I have a realistic chance of getting into any of the above mentioned universities? Could you also please suggest me some other universities I could apply to? I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance! :)

My writers finally submitted their LORs to my schools of interest, so my applications are now being verified as complete.

I guess the waiting game officially begins?

My writers finally submitted their LORs to my schools of interest, so my applications are now being verified as complete.

I guess the waiting game officially begins?

Welcome @MadisonJacket, it's pretty...not exhilarating haha.

Thought I'd let everyone know that UNC Chapel Hill sent me an Email inviting me for an interview yesterday evening, so it looks like they're beginning to move forward in the process!

Last edited:
W

Welcome @MadisonJacket, it's pretty...not exhilarating haha.

Thought I'd let everyone know that UNC Chapel Hill sent me an Email inviting me for an interview yesterday evening, so it looks like they're beginning to move forward in the process!

Hey Emma, when did you submit your app to UNC?