MHA Fall 2016: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLE514

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MHA or MBA only, no MPH, use the MPH thread

Follow this format:

School:
GPA: Cumulative and Major
GRE:
Major:
Applied:
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Update your original thread as you receive new information!

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor from india graduated this year, currently working at a hospital
have been doing volunteer work since past 3 years, applying only to MHA programs and MPH in health administration
GPA: 3.04 as calculated my WES, modest GPA as MBBS in my university was pretty hard to pass
GMAT: 640 V32(66%ile) Q45(63%ile) AWA 4.5
Applied:applying to JHU MHA, Columbia MHA, Yale MPH healthcare administration conc, BU MPH in HPM, and USC MHA
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
School: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, c/o 2015
Experience: Currently working at UNC Health Care as a CNA (I float to all units in each hospital), extensive leadership experiences as an undergrad
GPA: 3.33, Major 3.76
GRE: Quantitative: 159 (75%), Verbal: 161 (87%), Analytical: 5.0 (93%)
Major: Psychology B.S., Biology Minor
Applied: JHU, UNC, MUSC, South Carolina, Yale MPH-HCM (submitted 9/28 -last LOR submitted 11/24), and OSU (submitted 11/29)
Interview: Hopkins (phone interview with Teresa, offered 12/2, on 12/8), UNC (offered 12/4, on 1/15), OSU (offered 12/7, turned down), South Carolina (phone interview offered 12/18, on 1/7, withdrew), MUSC (offered 12/31, turned down)
Waitlist: Yale (3/10, withdrew from waitlist)
Rejected:
Accepted: Hopkins (12/23), UNC (1/15)
Attending: Hopkins

Last edited:
School: Small Public State University (Graduating May 2015)
GPA: 3.01 Cumulative, 3.5 Major (Changed majors halfway through from Biology & Chem. Retaking a Calculus class in Spring 2016 so hopefully should improve overall)
GRE: Taking GMAT in December
Major: Business Administration (Information Systems)
Applied: Plan to apply to GSU, UK, UNF, UIC, Memphis, South Carolina, and JHU
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
Worked full-time throughout undergrad but not health related unfortunately
Currently in a year-long government internship with Department of the Army
Leadership positions in 3 different organizations on campus
Worked in multiple community services and philanthropy events while involved with the organizations
Any advice on the schools I am applying to or how to improve my application or chances would be greatly appreciated.

I am a first year MHA student at the University of Florida if anyone has any questions about that specific program.

Some typical questions and answers:

1. Do rankings matter? : No they do not. The USNews rankings is based off a subjective 5 point scale done by professors. Nothing else. No other data like job attainment rates, knowledge, specific classes taken, average salary, gpa, etc. Again I will state again, they mean literally nothing. Refer to #3

2. Does going do a higher ranked school make any difference?: No. So if you are deciding between UAB and UMich or USC vs VCU, my answer would be attend whats cheaper, and if they are the same price, go with which has better weather. Refer to #3

3. What is most important thing you should look for in a school?: My answer would be job placement lists, as in where did the last years class get jobs? This list is usually easily found on the programs website. If the program says they do not track this data, thats is a red flag and typically means the school has no network/weak alumni base, do not attend any program that does not track recent graduates and where they end up. The whole point of attending a "good" program is that old and recent alumni will hire people straight out of the program.

4. Will I get in to X program with "insert gpa, gre, extra curricular"?: I honestly cannot tell you with any certainty. Apply broadly, and do not be afraid to apply to out of state, you never know they may offer you in state tuition or a waiver of some sort. I applied to 7 schools, got into half. I think it is a gamble applying to only 1-3 programs. Applying to more then 10 is kind of overkill.

5. Last year my inbox was flooded with Indian and Chinese nationals about rankings: "Should I attend UMichigan over UMinnesota"??. Again it wont make any difference, attend the cheaper program. No one will care what school you went to after a few years of work experience, and if the school has a good network (which a ton of schools have, not just highly ranked ones) then you will have no problem getting a fellowship or entry level job at a good system. Refer to #3

6. What should I put the most effort regarding my application: I would say personal statement, spend a lot of time going over, and having different people read it. This will be the only thing in most applications to make you stand out from the pack. Everyone already has a good gpa and good gre, how are you different? etc.

7. Does doing a dual degree have any effect/or is it worth it to get (MBA/MHA) or (MHA/MPH) or any similar combo? I will say no. Programs will try to sell you on having balanced education, but these dual degrees are a cash cow for schools. They are not worth it, especially when you factor in the extra year of tuition, rent, bills, and lost opportunity cost from not working after year 2, In fact I will say if you can attend a MBA program with a good network (top 25 ranked), do not waste your time getting an MHA or MPH, the MBA will have more value on its own, and will give you the option to switch sectors later if you get tired of healthcare. For 95% of people in this thread, just get the MHA.

Thats about all I can think of for right now. PM me or ask away. Again #3 is key here, nothing else really matters.

Last edited:
MHA or MBA only, no MPH, use the MPH thread

Follow this format:

School: The Ohio State University
Cumulative GPA: 3.67 Major GPA: 3.78
GRE: V: 155 (67%) Q: 150 (40%) AW: 4.0 (56%)
Major: Public Health
Applied: University of Washington 10/30 (Drexel and Emory's MPH programs)
Interview: University of Washington (12/2)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: University of Washington (12/11) ; (Emory's MPH program)
Attending:

Update your original thread as you receive new information!

Last edited:
Doctor from India with 1 year experience.

School:
GPA: Cumulative and Major : 3.18
GRE: 158 (V) 155 (Q) 2.5 (AWA) / 153 (V) 156 (Q) 3.5 (AWA)
Major: Doctor of Medicine
Applied: U Washington , Washington State, UMinn, SLU, George Washington, Tulane, Ohio State, Memphis, UIC
Interview: U Wash
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

School: University of Washington
GPA: Cumulative 3.55, Major 3.7
GRE: Verbal 156, Quantitative 152, Writing 4
Minor: Spanish and Nutritional Sciences
Applied: University of Washington
Interview: University of Washington
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: University of Washington
Attending: University of Washington

Last edited:
School: Ohio State University
GPA: 3.41 SOPHAS, 3.5 HAMPCAS
GRE: 167 Verbal, 160 Quant, 5.5 Writing
Major: Medical Dietetics

Registered Dietitian, have experience with corporate wellness, acute patient care, long-term care, community health, healthcare management, and program development. Currently a dietitian for a health and wellness company

Applying: Minnesota (12/5), Saint Louis University, Missouri, Ohio State, Pitt (12/15)
Interview: Minnesota (offered 12/16, set for 2/18), Ohio State (1/22), SLU (2/5), Missouri (2/4)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Pittsburgh, OSU, SLU with GRA, Missouri with GRA, Minnesota with scholarship
Attending:

Last edited:
School: Large private uni in the west
Exp: 3.5 yrs project mgmt for EHR firm
GPA: 3.93
GRE: 167 V, 158 Q, 5.5 W
Major: English
Applied: Michigan, Minnesota, Rush, UAB, Ohio State, Utah
Interview: Minnesota (December), Rush (December), Ohio State (January 22), Utah (December), UAB (declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Minnesota (December), Rush (January), Utah (December), Michigan (January - no interview), Ohio State (January 27)
Attending:

Last edited:
School: Ohio State University
GPA: 3.3-3.5 (Haven't finished SOPHAS yet, but cumulative closer to 3.5, major probably closer to 3.3)
GRE: 167 Verbal, 160 Quant, 5.5 Writing
Major: Medical Dietetics

Registered Dietitian, have experience with corporate wellness, acute patient care, long-term care, community health, healthcare management, and program development. Currently a dietitian for a health and wellness company

Applying: Minnesota, Saint Louis University, Missouri, Ohio State, UIC
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

I'm doing my SOPHAS/HAMPCAS stuff this coming week because I didn't take the GRE until just last week. I'm a little worried that I will miss the priority deadlines for a few schools like Minnesota and OSU; does anyone know how much that will affect the likelihood of getting accepted/financial support? Also may be applying to one or two other places than listed.

Is there a priority deadline for OSU? I am considering applying there as well and I don't see one on their website, only that the final deadline is February 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a priority deadline for OSU? I am considering applying there as well and I don't see one on their website, only that the final deadline is February 15th.

I think OSU's priority deadline for scholarships is December 1, which is unfortunate because that means I'll miss it. Same with Minnesota. But I really wanted to apply to one of the top schools like UM.

I think OSU's priority deadline for scholarships is December 1, which is unfortunate because that means I'll miss it. Same with Minnesota. But I really wanted to apply to one of the top schools like UM.

It's the deadline if you're looking for a fellowship, but I don't know if that's what you mean by priority.

It's the deadline if you're looking for a fellowship, but I don't know if that's what you mean by priority.

By priority, I mean in order to be eligible for financial support, scholarships, GRA's, and other related things. It seems like schools use different terminology for them though, so I may have just assumed the fellowships at OSU were the same. Is this not the case?

By priority, I mean in order to be eligible for financial support, scholarships, GRA's, and other related things. It seems like schools use different terminology for them though, so I may have just assumed the fellowships at OSU were the same. Is this not the case?

From what I read on the website, it is the date to apply to be considered for fellowships - I am not sure how all-encompassing that is for financial aide in general though, sounds like only the fellowships but it's hard to tell if that's the only sort of financial assistance they provide

School: University of Washington
GPA: Cumulative 3.55, Major 3.7
GRE: Verbal 156, Quantitative 152, Writing 4
Minor: Spanish and Nutritional Sciences
Applied: University of Washington
Interview: University of Washington
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Currently a Peace Corps Volunteer serving in the Health Sector

Are you attending the visit day on Friday? I'm curious to know how many candidates are invited to the day.

Are you attending the visit day on Friday? I'm curious to know how many candidates are invited to the day.
I'm headed to Seattle now ... The group interview times are from 1:30-3:00 with each interview lasting 30 minutes. I figure 2 or 3 people in each group but it doesn't say how many interview sessions are going on at once. So I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I'm headed to Seattle now ... The group interview times are from 1:30-3:00 with each interview lasting 30 minutes. I figure 2 or 3 people in each group but it doesn't say how many interview sessions are going on at once. So I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

Seems like there's a lack of action here on the MHA thread compared to the MPH threads :) anyways, here's mine!

School: University of Michigan
GPA: Cumulative (3.65/4.0), Major (4.0/4.0)
GRE: 154Q, 157V, 5.0 AW
Major: Psychology (Minor: Health)
Applied: University of Michigan MHSA, Columbia MPH-HPM
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Also, does anyone know when we'll start to hear about interviews (or "visit days" as they call them) from umich? And/or when they begin sending out invitation letters to applicants to visit the campus?

I applied on 11/25 and I know my application is now complete, but I haven't been able to find much information on when they actually begin reaching out to applicants to invite them to campus.

Interview: Minnesota, Rush, Ohio State, Utah
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

When did you apply? When did you hear back from them for interviews?

Also, does anyone know when we'll start to hear about interviews (or "visit days" as they call them) from umich? And/or when they begin sending out invitation letters to applicants to visit the campus?

I applied on 11/25 and I know my application is now complete, but I haven't been able to find much information on when they actually begin reaching out to applicants to invite them to campus.

My assumption is soon since their priority deadline was 12/1 (at least I hope, I can't wait any longer lol)

School: Large public school
GPA: 3.75
GRE: 150Q, 150V, 4.0 AW
Major: Dietetics
Applied: Rush, OSU, UIC ( 11/16) SLU (12/14)
Interview: SLU (offered 12/21, attended 2/5) OSU (offered 1/20, attended 1/29) UIC (offered 2/25, turned down) Rush (offered 3/24, attended 4/1)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: OSU (2/4), SLU (2/5), Rush (4/5)
Attending: RUSH!

Last edited:
My assumption is soon since their priority deadline was 12/1 (at least I hope, I can't wait any longer lol)

ooh interesting--I did not see any information on the umich website about the priority deadline being 12/1(!) I only kept seeing the priority deadline as being 12/15. well either way, I hope we get some news soon!!

Accepted into UW's MHA program today!

Reactions: 3 users

Looks like the historical trend is for UofM to be one of the last programs to contact folks. So don't lose hope!

When did you apply? When did you hear back from them for interviews?

I applied quite early. UAB had a 11/1 deadline, so I had everything in by then for all my schools. I started getting emails and calls a few weeks after that. It seems like the folks interviewing with me applied pretty early too.

Hope you hear back soon!

Are we supposed to send updated grades after this semester to schools does anyone know? I know you cannot do it on HAMPCAS/SOPHAS, but I can't find any information if schools expect you to send them to them?

I applied quite early. UAB had a 11/1 deadline, so I had everything in by then for all my schools. I started getting emails and calls a few weeks after that. It seems like the folks interviewing with me applied pretty early too.

Hope you hear back soon!

Congrats on all your interviews! Have you been accepted by any of them yet? How did the interviews go? Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated :)

School: University of Kentucky, Akron University (summer classes)
GPA: 3.6
GRE: 149Q, 149V, 3.5 AW
Major: Business Management
Applied: UNC, Pittsburgh, UKY, OSU, Tulane
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Not sure if I will retake the GRE again. I did do better on my practice tests, but I always seem to hit average on standardized tests no matter how many times I take them. I guess if its meant to be, it will be. I have four letters of recommendation, worked in healthcare for over five years, and have been apart of many clubs/organizations so hopefully that overrides the GRE.

Are we supposed to send updated grades after this semester to schools does anyone know? I know you cannot do it on HAMPCAS/SOPHAS, but I can't find any information if schools expect you to send them to them?
My advisor told me to resend them to Sophas after this semesters grades come out. You just send them like you did the first time, to the address they gave you, with the paper.

Minnesota emailed me and offered an in-person interview. I live an 11 hour drive away though. Does anyone know the pros and cons of doing in-person compared to asking for skype? And if anyone has had any interviews yet at any school, is there any general information about the process you can share?

Minnesota emailed me and offered an in-person interview. I live an 11 hour drive away though. Does anyone know the pros and cons of doing in-person compared to asking for skype? And if anyone has had any interviews yet at any school, is there any general information about the process you can share?

Did Minnesota offer Skype as an option if you couldn't attend? UW offered me an interview (in Seattle) and I live in Ohio, there was no easy way for me to travel across the country. I didn't think my interview was hindered by Skype, the faculty were quite understanding in my opinion. I also was accepted so it apparently did not have any negative effects. Minne. may be different though... hopefully they can work something out!

I went to the visit day at UW and was talking to some current students and we got on the subject of Skype vs. In-person and they said Skype interviews don't hurt your chances. Admissions committees understand the difficulty in having to travel.

Did Minnesota offer Skype as an option if you couldn't attend? UW offered me an interview (in Seattle) and I live in Ohio, there was no easy way for me to travel across the country. I didn't think my interview was hindered by Skype, the faculty were quite understanding in my opinion. I also was accepted so it apparently did not have any negative effects. Minne. may be different though... hopefully they can work something out!

They didn't mention anything about skype. It was essentially "Hello, we received your application. We would like to invite you to an on-site interview on ______. Please let us know if that will work for you."

I'm not sure what to do. Should I ask about the possibility of a skype interview? Also, Cap, even if they don't technically hurt a person's chances, wouldn't a skype interview be kind of awkward and hard to manage?

How soon do they expect a reply? They emailed me yesterday, but I'm still not sure what I am going to do.

They didn't mention anything about skype. It was essentially "Hello, we received your application. We would like to invite you to an on-site interview on ______. Please let us know if that will work for you."

I'm not sure what to do. Should I ask about the possibility of a skype interview? Also, Cap, even if they don't technically hurt a person's chances, wouldn't a skype interview be kind of awkward and hard to manage?

How soon do they expect a reply? They emailed me yesterday, but I'm still not sure what I am going to do.
Ohhhh gotcha. So when I got an email from UW they offered a Skype and in-person so I can't exactly give great advice on your specific situation so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

If I was you I'd email them explaining my situation and why I can't make it and see if they can offer a Skype interview. I know for certain masters programs, such as PA school, the on site interview is required but who knows with an MHA unless you ask. Sorry I'm not much help.

In regards to a Skype interview I've never found them to be awkward because you can still see their face so you can gauge a reaction unlike a phone interview where its hard to tell what they're thinking.

Got invited for an interview at SLU!

School: University of Kentucky, Akron University (summer classes)
GPA: 3.6
GRE: 149Q, 149V, 3.5 AW
Major: Business Management
Applied: UNC, Pittsburgh, UKY, OSU, Tulane
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Not sure if I will retake the GRE again. I did do better on my practice tests, but I always seem to hit average on standardized tests no matter how many times I take them. I guess if its meant to be, it will be. I have four letters of recommendation, worked in healthcare for over five years, and have been apart of many clubs/organizations so hopefully that overrides the GRE.

Our stats are basically identical except I majored in Advertising and PR with a minor in Business Administration. I did about the same on my GRE.

However, I literally got my first acceptance email earlier today to Washington State University (I was waiting for Star Wars to start. The Force was DEFINITELY with me :laugh::laugh:).

From what I've learned during this process, most schools take a "holistic approach" as they call it. They look at various things to see if you can handle the rigor of graduate school as well as the program itself. If you have background in healthcare AND stayed active in clubs/organizations, I think you might be okay. However, if you feel like you should retake the GRE, do what you feel is right for you. Check with the program though. For WSU, they placed an emphasis on Statement of Purpose, Letters of Recommendations, GPA, and experience. In fact, when I spoke with the actually program, they literally told me that the GRE was required by the physical Graduate SChool, but for the program, they wanted strong Letters of Recommendations and an even stronger Statement of Purpose. I went through 3 rounds of editing for both.

Most schools know that everyone tests differently. If your GRE was 140Q/140V, then I would say retake it without a doubt. But most schools want at least a 300 combined and 149 x 2 is 298, which is only 2 points shy. Call the school and ask how they weight the GRE scores. Some care more than others. Some just use it as a formality.

Bottom line: Call each program, ask how they weight the GRE compared to everything else like resume, SOP, LOR, and experience. Explain you didn't do as well on the GRE as you had hoped and are about X amount of points shy from the requirements. Also, ask what they place more emphasis on. It always helps to know EXACTLY what they want.

Good luck!

Hello, I am currently doing a rotatory internship as a part of my Dental Surgery curriculum in India. My stats are:
GPA : 3.56(WES Evaluation)
GRE: Q 157 V 155
IELTS : 8.0
Experience:
Currently working part time in a private dental practice since 9 months.
Completed a 2 months internship in a hospital, where I worked on a Primary Care project.
Volunteered in several dental screening and medical check up camps.
Applied: JHU,GWU,Cornell, USC,University of South Carolina, George Mason.
Anyone who has applied to these universities,can you please share your profile?

Any advice on how to cancel an interview after it has already been scheduled? I accepted an interview at OSU but that was before I was accepted into one of my top choices - I am hesitant to spend the money on a flight and hotel to interview there when the chance of me attending there is very slim.

Interview: Minnesota, Rush, Ohio State, Utah
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
How long did it take you to hear back from Rush?

Any advice on how to cancel an interview after it has already been scheduled? I accepted an interview at OSU but that was before I was accepted into one of my top choices - I am hesitant to spend the money on a flight and hotel to interview there when the chance of me attending there is very slim.

I would simply email back the address that offered you the interview. Be truthful and say you have recently accepted your spot at another institution. They should be understanding that others schools got to you before they did.

How long did it take you to hear back from Rush?
I had everything submitted to HAMPCAS by beginning of November, heard back a few weeks later, and interviewed in mid-December. One annoying thing. Every other place I've visited has sent an acceptance with scholarships included or has promised to send that information a few weeks later.

Rush's acceptance not only came with a ridiculously fast turnaround time to confirm acceptance (and pay the seat fee), but they also won't give information about scholarships until after you choose to attend. I really liked the faculty there I met during my interviews. But not knowing about financial stuff when Rush is one of the more expensive programs gives me pause. Good luck in your process!

Congrats on all your interviews! Have you been accepted by any of them yet? How did the interviews go? Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated :)

Sorry for the delay. Thought I had an email alert rigged. I've been accepted by the three schools I interviewed with in December (Utah, MN, and Rush). All of them were great programs in different ways. MN is my top pick at the moment (still hearing back about scholarships and have at least one more interview before this is all done): really cohesive student cohort, smart faculty, great facilities, and I really enjoyed my first time in the Twin Cities.