Michigan College of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohdee15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about applying to MCO as it's one of the closer ones to where I live, however I was curious about where 4th years do their externships? I heard from someone that some are in Detroit (somewhere I DON'T want to be, especially being a female). Does anyone have knowledge about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Call them and ask how many externship sites they have. I'm sure a ton of them are going to be around the college and in the state of Michigan, but they should have other sites also. Detroit I'm guessing is going to have tons of unusual stuff to see though and you'll probably see a lot of disease. Get a place in a suburb that is safer, and commute into Detroit!

I'm from Michigan too.The doctor I work with went to MCO and she said her externships were all over the country.Some down south like TN, and others were in plaves like Detroit. She said detroit was a great experience for her. If you're from MI message me and I can put you through to my doctor that I work with, she can answer all of your questions because she also graduated 3 years ago from MCO.