Michigan State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS acceptance!! Will somebody post in here if there is a group or anything made for accepted students? I can't wait to meet all my future classmates!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
OOS waitlist- congrats everyone!! Did anyone else who is waitlisted also get the follow up email about general education requirements?
I got this too! I was confused because I thought I had all of mine completed and I completed my bachelors which should waive them? I emailed them so we shall see!

Hello all! I wanted to put this on here for those that are waitlisted or got denied.

DO NOT GIVE UP!

Here’s a little background about me for inspiration:
-non traditional student
-applied to vet school 5x (I only got 2 interviews prior to this cycle)
-retaken several classes because they were either going to “expire” or to improve my grade
-started a masters program in social work (for veterinary social work) in fall 2022 after not getting into vet school as a backup plan
-was not a fan of my coursework and decided to stop after my first semester with the goal of reapplying to vet school
-did a grad certificate in vet sciences this past summer (highly suggest)
-I applied to 12 schools this cycle and only got 2 interviews — one I got waitlisted at

All this to say this: I was so close to giving up. I was told year after year and school after school that I was denied. I didn’t feel like I was smart enough or good enough to attend vet school. But here I am with an ACCEPTANCE.

DONT GIVE UP! Don’t let anyone tell you that you aren’t good enough or that you aren’t deserving.

If anyone wants to reach out directly, feel free to send me a message. Happy to help give feedback on an application or just talk about your vet med journey.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS acceptance!! Will somebody post in here if there is a group or anything made for accepted students? I can't wait to meet all my future classmates!!!
I’m hoping they will send a Facebook group info?

Reactions: 1 user
I know we JUST heard back yesterday, but I was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions of what they are planning on doing in order to prepare for classes in August in terms of any material they think they might need/want to review?

I know we JUST heard back yesterday, but I was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions of what they are planning on doing in order to prepare for classes in August in terms of any material they think they might need/want to review?
Good question! I’m guessing that information would be in our online orientation modules.

Good question! I’m guessing that information would be in our online orientation modules.
There will be online modules that will cover any study needs. Until then just relax!

The online modules this summer will provide you checklists of what you need to get done and supplies you’ll need.

Don't worry about reviewing anything material wise, you will get nothing but that come August. Take the time now to just relax!

Do we have a white coat ceremony? If so, when is it usually?
Prior to our class it was during 3rd year as a the class transitioned to clinics.
Beginning with our class, it’s now during the first semester of school. I don’t know how they’ll change things based on feedback from us, but expect it towards the beginning.

Also, how soon should I be looking for housing?
If you know you’re coming here, start as soon as you can. This is a college town and the nice places will fill their leases before the less nice places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prior to our class it was during 3rd year as a the class transitioned to clinics.
Beginning with our class, it’s now during the first semester of school. I don’t know how they’ll change things based on feedback from us, but expect it towards the beginning.

If you know you’re coming here, start as soon as you can. This is a college town and the nice places will fill their leases before the less nice places.
Anyone know if anyone creates a Facebook page or anything? I feel like it would be great to room with a vet student and take over someone’s lease who is graduating

Anyone know if anyone creates a Facebook page or anything? I feel like it would be great to room with a vet student and take over someone’s lease who is graduating
I believe one of my classmates made ours, I don’t think the school makes a Facebook group. There is one called “Michigan State CVM” that is open for all CVM people and people post a lot of lease take overs in there too.

This might be a dumb question…will we need muck boots for large animal stuff?
Yes you do! They’ll send out a list of things you’ll need for school closer to August. But if you’re in doubt if you actually need it ask someone, because some of the things on the list I haven’t used since I bought it

Yes you do! They’ll send out a list of things you’ll need for school closer to August. But if you’re in doubt if you actually need it ask someone, because some of the things on the list I haven’t used since I bought it
What about stethoscopes? Will they have some to try before you buy?

Haha have you even used your muck boots? 😅

What about stethoscopes? Will they have some to try before you buy?

Haha have you even used your muck boots? 😅
Yes, we've needed boots at least a few times for class! The one thing I haven't used and honestly don't even think I have that was on our list was a thermometer lol

Our class was gifted stethoscopes (Littmann Classic III) by an alum, I'm not 100% sure this happens every year... @honeypot999 do you know?
You're honestly fine with a basic stethoscope if you choose to buy one, you don't need a Littmann Cardiology IV or one of the electronic ones unless you want one.

Yes, we've needed boots at least a few times for class! The one thing I haven't used and honestly don't even think I have that was on our list was a thermometer lol

Our class was gifted stethoscopes (Littmann Classic III) by an alum, I'm not 100% sure this happens every year... @honeypot999 do you know?
You're honestly fine with a basic stethoscope if you choose to buy one, you don't need a Littmann Cardiology IV or one of the electronic ones unless you want one.
Well I know some schools say to not buy an expensive one in case it gets stolen. Wasn’t sure if it was easier to hear things with a cardiology or Eko one

Well I know some schools say to not buy an expensive one in case it gets stolen. Wasn’t sure if it was easier to hear things with a cardiology or Eko one
I mean it is easier to hear with those models, but the reality is I've maybe used my stethoscope for class... 4-5 times this year?

Ultimately if you want one of those models and feel like it will be useful for you, get it for yourself. However, you don’t need one of those models to be successful in the curriculum

You also will get a locker so you have a place to store things on campus!

I’m pretty sure every year they get gifted. However I have an extra one so I can keep one at school and have one at home for personal pets. You can never have too many lol

Also don’t by reflex hammers, scalpel blades, and a couple other small things I can’t remember.

OOS acceptance and I’m still in shock. I’m very excited to attend the CVM Visit Day.

As someone moving from an island to Michigan, what are some things you’d recommend me to buy (clothing wise)? Other than coats and boots.

OOS acceptance and I’m still in shock. I’m very excited to attend the CVM Visit Day.

As someone moving from an island to Michigan, what are some things you’d recommend me to buy (clothing wise)? Other than coats and boots.
Accepted in-state. Have lived in Michigan most of my life. Michigan's nice because we get all of the weather, but none of the really bad weather (at least in the lower peninsula), lol. Summers can get up to 90 with humidity. And obviously winters can be below zero at times, especially with the wind chill. That is to say, you're going to need a range of different clothing. But I really like experiencing all of the seasons. Wouldn't mind if winter was just a tad shorter though. :lol: Also, Congratulations!

Hats, gloves, extra blanket for the car, wool socks, I have lots of underlayers from underarmour or other brands for when I’m working outside or exercising outside. Fleeced lined leggings for winter

Summer wise you should be good with your island clothing.

Bring an umbrella and a rain jacket!

Anyone going to the visit day next Friday know what to expect? I’m coming from OOS. Just excited!

And is the discord the only group people have joined? I’ve seen Facebook groups created in the past but didn’t know if we had one yet

Current first year here! Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted so far!! Please take this time to relax, be proud of yourselves and celebrate your achievements! I am an OOS student who moved from Las Vegas (so pretty much across the country) with two dogs, some fish and my husband — if anyone has any questions about a long move, or anything else, don’t hesitate to reach out!

For those of you who didn’t make it in this cycle don’t be discouraged! This application process can be so grueling and you did that! You’ve worked so hard to get to where you are and you should be so proud of yourselves. Don’t give up, it will happen for you <3

Current first year here! Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted so far!! Please take this time to relax, be proud of yourselves and celebrate your achievements! I am an OOS student who moved from Las Vegas (so pretty much across the country) with two dogs, some fish and my husband — if anyone has any questions about a long move, or anything else, don’t hesitate to reach out!

For those of you who didn’t make it in this cycle don’t be discouraged! This application process can be so grueling and you did that! You’ve worked so hard to get to where you are and you should be so proud of yourselves. Don’t give up, it will happen for you <3
I actually do have some questions! I’ll message you :)

Shameless plug here:
Already know you’re attending MSU in the fall? Get some awesome swag to represent your spartan pride from the Internal Medicine Merch Sale!

Money goes towards wet labs, lunch and learns, and so much more!

Alrighty friends. My laptop died at the end of undergrad and I’ve held out on getting another one until vet school was a real option….here we are. I am definitely interested in getting an iPad for notes/lectures/etc, but does anyone have any laptop recommendations? Does Mich State have any specific requirements I need to follow? Thanks in advance!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Alrighty friends. My laptop died at the end of undergrad and I’ve held out on getting another one until vet school was a real option….here we are. I am definitely interested in getting an iPad for notes/lectures/etc, but does anyone have any laptop recommendations? Does Mich State have any specific requirements I need to follow? Thanks in advance!!!
No specific requirements, but you do need to have a laptop for exam taking purposes! People have both Windows and Macs. They did recommend a decent amount of storage and 16GB of RAM, which seems like a lot, but honestly I'm glad to have more memory especially for the times when I'm running multiple programs at once.

I use a Macbook Pro and iPad. I just love the easy synchronization between my devices and the iPad is an awesome tool for note taking during class or while watching prep video lectures.

Reactions: 1 users
Like Miranda said, no specific requirements.
I love having a surface pro, and I only have 8 gb of ram so I have my one drive settings changed to remove the files off my computer after a month of no usage.

Highly recommend a way to write out either through an iPad, tablet or something for notes. It helps with drawing since some assignments require that

No specific requirements, but you do need to have a laptop for exam taking purposes! People have both Windows and Macs. They did recommend a decent amount of storage and 16GB of RAM, which seems like a lot, but honestly I'm glad to have more memory especially for the times when I'm running multiple programs at once.

I use a Macbook Pro and iPad. I just love the easy synchronization between my devices and the iPad is an awesome tool for note taking during class or while watching prep video lectures.
I hope they’ll go over this at orientation?

I hope they’ll go over this at orientation?
If I remember correctly, the computer spec recommendations were in our online orientation modules over the summer!
They will provide you with all the information you need to know :)

I agree with what my peers have already said. I use an M2 Macbook Air and iPad Air 3 in class. I was using my 2015 Macbook Pro when school started and just felt like I was ready for an upgrade, the fans were always going crazy and it would lag really bad. I didn't have enough money to purchase a new computer so I looked into a one-time budget increase that the school offers. I waited until my loans kicked in, bought the computer, filled out the application & sent the receipt and I was reimbursed for the amount I paid. If you can't afford to buy a new one now or would rather use your money for other things like moving expenses it could be a good option: Increasing Your Budget | Michigan State University

Just be aware that it's loan money.

Just double checking myself. There is a fee for the criminal background check? ($150). Not a big deal of course, I was just surprised because I have never seen any mention of it anywhere. Not here. Not on MSU website and they are so thorough at listing everything. Can someone confirm that they got this too. Thanks!

Just double checking myself. There is a fee for the criminal background check? ($150). Not a big deal of course, I was just surprised because I have never seen any mention of it anywhere. Not here. Not on MSU website and they are so thorough at listing everything. Can someone confirm that they got this too. Thanks!
Im pretty sure ive seen that on the website before

Officially declined my seat for admission (OOS)! :) Hoping they'll start moving the waitlist for you all soon!

• Care
Just declined my OOS seat as well! Hope someone hears good news soon.

do we get our waitlist number on april 15th? i just saw someone on Facebook got off the waitlist