Midwestern University c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have to write an essay on Andy Warhol for a vet school application? That's just weird...
One of the choices for tufts essays is a quote by Andy Warhol about how everyone will be world famous for 15 minutes someday. Describe your 15 minutes of fame. Tough topic lol!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I was also amongst the first interviews at Midwestern and I was also very impressed with their facilities. They are making a huge effort to provide the best possible education to their new students. I got my acceptance letter today :)!! Very excited to know I have an option while going into other interviews but I am strongly considering MWU. My stats are: 2000 hrs vet experience, 3.8 last 45 unit gpa, 3.65 science gpa. GRE: 152 quant and 156 verbal.
Good luck!!

Hi all, I was also amongst the first interviews at Midwestern and I was also very impressed with their facilities. They are making a huge effort to provide the best possible education to their new students. I got my acceptance letter today :)!! Very excited to know I have an option while going into other interviews but I am strongly considering MWU. My stats are: 2000 hrs vet experience, 3.8 last 45 unit gpa, 3.65 science gpa. GRE: 152 quant and 156 verbal.
Good luck!!
Congrats docterd! That is so exciting! And so reassuring to know that you have an option already!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck!!

Way to go, DocterD!! That's awesome! Set up an 'Official Acceptances C/O 2018' Thread and put your name on that list! Glad to hear that you loved Midwestern, and that you're seriously considering it as a top contender. Congrats on your acceptance to veterinary school!! :) :thumbup: :clap:

That's awesome, congrats! I also got my acceptance as well. I am very strongly considering them and could definitely see myself there.

Finally scheduled my interview for January 16, anyone else going that day too? It's time to save money from my trip to the states.

Oh! and congratulations for those of you who have received your acceptance letters. How exciting! Thank you for sharing your interview experiences too!

Last edited:
FINALLY submitted my supplemental :)

Absolutely no offense to everyone who applied and has received interviews thus far, but doesn't anyone think they're acting a little desperate? Giving out interviews right after applications were submitted, said to give offers right after interviews...
I totally have been thinking the same thing but didn't want to be the one to say it xD
Same here... didn't want to seem mean.
For every seat at the desperate vet school, there is an equally desperate student waiting to fill it. This will always be true.

It seems like you're all grasping for early signs of inadequacy or failure in the program. There have been several other threads where people complain about new schools and what that will do for their employment prospects, and frankly the animosity towards the new schools is pretty ridiculous. Cutting down on the number of graduates isn't the only solution to veterinary economic problems, and the vet students on here that are vocal proponents of it seem to have a "screw you, I've got mine" mentality.

I think it's pretty obvious from some of the other posts that the people getting interviews are not "desperate" people with low stats. We are people who have ignored the doom and gloom crowd and done some research. People who graduate from MWU and LMU are afforded all the rights of graduates from any other school. Even if the person graduates from a school that fails to move from provisional to full accreditation, they are not given any more hoops to jump through. You're as much a DVM as anyone else.

I think good points have been offered by both sides, but something that I haven't seen mentioned here is the prospects of employment post-graduation. This may not even be a factor, but it was something I considered very heavily when I was giving both this school and LMU some thought before I decided to apply to only my in-state.

The person that hires you likely won't give too much thought to where you graduated from. They want you to have your DVM, to have passed your boards, and that people from your past experiences like you and find you valuable. If you're hedging your success on name value, it's not going to get you very far. The people looking down on any new program are under the impression that obtaining your DVM should be a sufficient mark of a quality hire, and that adding more graduates is somehow polluting that. In reality there are plenty of people bright enough and dedicated enough to get a DVM. It's a qualification. Not a meal ticket for a job. If you want a job, you have to show people how you can make your degree useful, because those are the people that will move the industry forward.

I'm not being mean. I never said I wasn't once a desperate student... I totally was. And I would have considered the program.

I just meant that, no matter what we say here or whatever, they're gonna fill their class up no problem. There are always willing students, and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

Choosing to attend or not attend this school is definitely a personal decision - all the power to ya. Just consider all your options and make an informed (and not rushed) decision, just like you would with anything else.

Ahem.

It seems like you're all grasping for early signs of inadequacy or failure in the program. There have been several other threads where people complain about new schools and what that will do for their employment prospects, and frankly the animosity towards the new schools is pretty ridiculous. Cutting down on the number of graduates isn't the only solution to veterinary economic problems, and the vet students on here that are vocal proponents of it seem to have a "screw you, I've got mine" mentality.

I think it's pretty obvious from some of the other posts that the people getting interviews are not "desperate" people with low stats. We are people who have ignored the doom and gloom crowd and done some research. People who graduate from MWU and LMU are afforded all the rights of graduates from any other school. Even if the person graduates from a school that fails to move from provisional to full accreditation, they are not given any more hoops to jump through. You're as much a DVM as anyone else.

The person that hires you likely won't give too much thought to where you graduated from. They want you to have your DVM, to have passed your boards, and that people from your past experiences like you and find you valuable. If you're hedging your success on name value, it's not going to get you very far. The people looking down on any new program are under the impression that obtaining your DVM should be a sufficient mark of a quality hire, and that adding more graduates is somehow polluting that. In reality there are plenty of people bright enough and dedicated enough to get a DVM. It's a qualification. Not a meal ticket for a job. If you want a job, you have to show people how you can make your degree useful, because those are the people that will move the industry forward.

Anesthtc - Thank you for your post - I completely agree. We have to remember that every school was new at some point. Virginia Maryland has only been around since 1978 and Western has only been around since 1998. Additionally, I think that people are forgetting that although the veterinary school is brand new, Midwestern has several other graduate programs in the health professions which have already been well-established for several years. It's NOT a for-profit institution eager to take desperate pre-vet students' money! It is non-profit just like any of the other American schools, so the school will be dedicated to accepting people based on academic merit and not on $$$$$.

I think it will be clear with Midwestern's 1st accepted class profile that the students who applied were solid applicants with high gpas, experience hours, etc. Personally, I am very excited about my interview, and I am seriously considering Midwestern as an option. I have a 3.97 science GPA and 3000 paid veterinary experience, and I applied to several other schools, as well. As an OOS EVERYWHERE applicant, I was so happy that Midwestern opened up. In fact, there should be more vet schools that do not discriminate against OOS applicants. Why should I be any less able to become a veterinarian just because I have the unfortunate luck of being born and raised in New Jersey? My state doesn't make me any less smart despite what the reality shows depict.. :)

Reactions: 1 user

This is not true at all. There are several places that will pick a candidate over another one due to where you went to school and this goes for undergrad and professional school. I have been told that I will have to jump through more hoops at the place I want to end up working at due to being a WesternU graduate. I made the decision that I was okay with that because frankly I like the idea of doing an extra year of internship. That being said, all of this is assuming both candidates for any job are well qualified. Simply graduating from a great school does not make you a great veterinarian, just like graduating from a bad school doesn't make you a bad veterinarian.

This is not true at all. There are several places that will pick a candidate over another one due to where you went to school and this goes for undergrad and professional school.

Yes. I don't know how true it will be when everything is said and done, but I have been communicating with representatives of the CDC's EIS program and was told, when I was considering vet schools to apply to, that all other things equal, they would choose an applicant that came from a more well-known, established school/program. This will not be true for every graduate in every field, but for me it was. In the end, I only picked my IS so that I could continue my PhD. I harbor no ill will against anyone who applied to LMU or Midwestern and I wish them all the best in interviews and beyond. Most of the time, a DVM (or VMD, BVSc., etc.) is a DVM regardless of school...but sometimes, very rarely, where you went can make a difference, at least as far as vet school is concerned. I had just wanted to bring up a point that may not have been considered by other applicants, that's all.

Again, good luck to everyone who applied and who has been accepted. I'm sure you'll all be wonderful doctors and I hope to call you colleagues someday. :)

No one here has a "screw you, I've got mine mentality"; you are reading too much into what people are saying. More graduates will further saturate the already over saturated job market and will further exacerbate the current veterinary economic problems... it is as simple as that. No one is saying that is the ONLY problem with veterinary economics, but it certainly is one of them. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass if you go to MWU... you will graduate a full 2 years later than me so you won't be graduating at the same time I am looking for job. I also do not believe, nor have I seen anyone say that everyone who has applied to MWU or the newer schools are "desperate" people with low stats.... nobody has said that. The only thing people mentioned was how quick MWU was to send out their interview invites, which could be a product of various factors: 1. They don't have other vet students to also attend to. 2. They have a much lower applicant load than other schools. Both of these combined could lead to them getting interview invites out faster... it just seems weird to those of us who have been doing and watching this process for years for a school to have interview invites out within such a short time.... that is all.

This is actually not looking or thinking about reality. If you are a veterinarian about to hire a new associate for your practice and you have two recent graduates sitting in front of you... one from say Kansas State (I just randomly picked a school) and one from MWU. You have interviewed both of them, they both have the same qualifications, interviewed well and seem to be good fits. Are you going to pick the one from KSU (a school that has been graduating vets for a while) or are you going to take the chance with the grad from the newer school? Yes, they will most likely both make good vets, but you are going to have some hesitations about the grad from the newer school until you hear via word of mouth as to how those students are doing. It will most likely have a slight impact on job prospects for you... whether you want to believe it or not. This isn't being pessimistic, this isn't saying "omg.. the school sucks, you will all suck." This is just looking at it from a reality stand point. Until the school has graduated enough students and enough students have shown that the school does produce good vets, there is a good chance that you will be dealing with this. Just look above at the post from the current WesternU student; we aren't trying to be mean, we are pointing out reality.

Now, to add to this.... I was born and raised in the exact area that MWU is located. I grew up there, I know the area, I know what is around and I know for a fact that this school is going to have a difficult time getting the vet students any experience with large animals... Arizona has to be the most spread out state, you could easily have to travel for an hour or two to get to a location. Many other states built their cities up... AZ spread its city out... and it is only continuing to grow like this. The city is slowly pushing any type of farm life/agriculture out to very far outlying areas; it is spreading to the east/west/north and south (with Surprise, Goodyear, Anthem, Norterra and a few other place being the newer areas). I had to travel an hour (1 way) just to get some equine experience and it was difficult to even find that equine vet. I talked to him about farm animal vets... his response, there are a few around, but they are not easy to find and you will have to drive considerably further to get to them. Yes, there are some people that own horses near the school, but it isn't many. Yes, there are still farms around AZ, but they are dying fast. Also to consider... where are the vets/professors coming from that will be teaching you? Have they had experience teaching before? Teaching isn't something that one can just leap into and be good at it; it takes time and practice to get it down. Are all the instructors going to be new? Did they find some from previous vet schools that are going to teach? Also, the animal hospital that they are building... that won't be ready for some time. I can tell you now that I desperately wish I could go into the hospital to just watch and observe like you can at some other schools, my school doesn't allow it, you won't be able to do this at MWU as the hospital isn't complete. I feel that this not only exposes you to good experiences and helps you learn, but it is a good way to, after a long day of lectures/studying, remind yourself of why you are here and doing what you are doing. Vet school is hard and occasionally you need that reminder as to why you are slaving away over lectures and notes. Also, think about having to travel for experiences... I know it doesn't seem like a big deal now and almost seems good that you will be able to view multiple clinics, BUT this will cost $$$$$ and it is hard enough to make ends meet during vet school without even throwing travel expenses into the picture.

Nobody is trying to be mean/rude/or discredit the school. We are being realistic. Being an AZ native, I still probably would not go to MWU because I know the area, the school and I know that there are many good reasons to be wary of it. We are all smart people here, all anyone is suggesting is that you do your research and really think about all the aspects/impacts that going to a new school will have and then to really think about it; be critical about it, that is my suggestion.

If you still feel that the school is the right fit for you and you want to go, great! I will still congratulate you for your acceptance and we will still be colleagues in the future. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually not looking or thinking about reality. If you are a veterinarian about to hire a new associate for your practice and you have two recent graduates sitting in front of you... one from say Kansas State (I just randomly picked a school) and one from MWU. You have interviewed both of them, they both have the same qualifications, interviewed well and seem to be good fits.
Now, to add to this.... I was born and raised in the exact area that MWU is located. I grew up there, I know the area, I know what is around and I know for a fact that this school is going to have a difficult time getting the vet students any experience with large animals... Arizona has to be the most spread out state, you could easily have to travel for an hour or two to get to a location.

I think your order is off. While I completely agree that the name can have an effect on whether you get the interview, it's practically a nonissue once you're in front of them. Your qualifications will be addressed with questions about the kinds of treatments and procedures you've done, which you feel most comfortable doing, whether you've spent some time practicing basic skills by volunteering somewhere like a low cost spay/neuter clinic, whether you did any tracking or not, what you want to improve on, how much you intend to work, what your long term plans are, how you approach certain situations, etc. In the end it is very rare that you end up with two people that give you the same responses to give you the "all things equal" choose-a-school scenario. There just isn't that level of homogeneity among graduates from each school, and any superficial differences are largely obscured by your new grad label. Someone in the market of hiring a new grad knows they've still got a lot of teaching to do regardless of where you came from. I say this as a relative of three people who hire veterinarians. They scan the application and might say "oh hey this person is from Auburn... haven't met many from there." But once that person interviews, school names practically never come up. The conversation becomes "So should I hire the one who doesn't like surgery much, wants 4 days a week, and comes across as very laid back? Or should I take the one that told me they want to learn how to start a practice, wants 6 days, but seems a bit self-absorbed?" If you go past just the degree, people often turn out to be very different.

Your other points are valid concerns. As far as the large animal experience goes I believe they're bringing animals to the campus, so I doubt we will all be driving way out into the middle of nowhere. It's probably a fair assumption that there won't be as much cool pathology to see compared to universities in food-producing areas. I dunno. I'll try to find out when I go interview.

Bottom line: I'm really not taking offense at any of the criticism. I simply found the suspicion/hesitation directed in some odd directions here and on the "new school" thread. There's already an example of a person in this thread who said that job prospects tied to name/reputation factored in a decision not to apply to certain schools, so I figured I would throw in my two cents on the other half. Chances are things are a bit different everywhere, perhaps for research jobs it's different, but for clinical medicine I stand by my position that it isn't enough of a problem here to warrant the current level of concern.

Last edited:
I too have an interview at Midwestern. My stats: nontraditional student, overall GPA: 3.4, current program GPA: 3.8, GRE- not so great, vet experience 2000 hours, some paid plus a lot of research experience. I really appreciate the people who posted what their interview experience was like and what to expect. I'm really happy to hear that they are giving people until April 15th to accept. I was a bit worried about that.
I will say I contacted financial aid regarding the grants and scholarships that their other programs receive and it sounded really hit and miss with nothing set in stone or known. The office lady told me that they don't know if there will be any scholarships until sometime during the school year when a few are offered and she couldn't tell me the amounts offered. I didn't like that at all. I agree with the person who made the comment about $250 in debts, is it worth it? I think she has a good point. I know 3 fairly recent DVM grads who no longer practice and still have loads of debt. It can be pretty tough profession and isn't for everyone and the debt limits your options. I've not done a lot of researching the awards offered at other schools, but I'm pretty sure that most have more to offer in the way of such awards. I am going to be positive, check Midwestern out, give it my all and keep my options and mind open.

I too have an interview at Midwestern. My stats: nontraditional student, overall GPA: 3.4, current program GPA: 3.8, GRE- not so great, vet experience 2000 hours, some paid plus a lot of research experience. I really appreciate the people who posted what their interview experience was like and what to expect. I'm really happy to hear that they are giving people until April 15th to accept. I was a bit worried about that.
I will say I contacted financial aid regarding the grants and scholarships that their other programs receive and it sounded really hit and miss with nothing set in stone or known. The office lady told me that they don't know if there will be any scholarships until sometime during the school year when a few are offered and she couldn't tell me the amounts offered. I didn't like that at all. I agree with the person who made the comment about $250 in debts, is it worth it? I think she has a good point. I know 3 fairly recent DVM grads who no longer practice and still have loads of debt. It can be pretty tough profession and isn't for everyone and the debt limits your options. I've not done a lot of researching the awards offered at other schools, but I'm pretty sure that most have more to offer in the way of such awards. I am going to be positive, check Midwestern out, give it my all and keep my options and mind open.

congrats! When is your interview? I also have one -- it's scheduled for January 15.

Also... general question for other applicants: how were you notified about your interview? I found out because I checked the portal and saw that I was able to schedule an interview. The only e-mail I ever got was the one confirming my interview.

congrats! When is your interview? I also have one -- it's scheduled for January 15.

Also... general question for other applicants: how were you notified about your interview? I found out because I checked the portal and saw that I was able to schedule an interview. The only e-mail I ever got was the one confirming my interview.

I checked the portal one night and I saw it - then the next day I received an email.

Thanks Sblove. Congrats to you too! Good luck! My interview is next week. I received an email. Maybe you're email went to junk by accident or the one provided to them had a slight typo? Maybe check on that?

I interviewed a few weeks ago and I've got to say, they really impressed me with their facilities and overall goal - that's one of the best things of a new school: specialized buildings to take advantage of new equipment. Don't get me wrong though, Midwestern has been in the health education business for quite a while now and they know what they're doing - they know what works for many of their other programs (human medicine, dentistry, etc.) and they're going to incorporate it into the vet side of their program. I was a bit leery applying there in the beginning with the same apprehensions as everyone else - but I came away from it thinking that this school would be one of my definite choices.

As for my interview - like some of the other posts said: the staff is really friendly and put some of my jitters down quite well. The entire process is rather laid back and since the interview group consists 12 twelve people - there's not much in the way of being overwhelmed. The day starts off with a general presentation about the program, accreditation questions - and yes, even if they don't get accredited after 4 years, those who attend are still considered graduates and can take the boards. We then broke into 2 groups of 6 - one stayed behind for interviews, and the other went on a school tour - and then vice versa. Do plan to bring a book or chum it up with some of the other interviewees as there is a lot of downtime: the tour only took about an hour or so and then everybody waited for the interviews to end.

Interviews consists of yourself and 2 interviewers. Most of the questions they've asked were intended to understand you and your motivation for vet school better - the interesting thing is that they're doing the interview cold: all they have is basically your personal statement and experiences - they don't have any of your grades and so forth so that they can remain objective and only focus on what you did in life, not school. They will then later convene and combine the two to decide if they will offer you acceptance or not. As for the questions themselves, all I can say is know your application and know yourself. The interview process is designed to see how well you communicate with others, if you can get an idea across, and how well you think on your feet - there ARE a few random questions that will have you sweating and thinking "OMG I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ANSWER THAT" - take a deep breath and just start talking - something in that stream of bs will latch on and you could go from there.

After the interview ends, we broke for lunch and continued to talk to the interviewers (I'm secretly thinking that's also part of the interview process...) and ended the day with another tour. All in all, it was short and sweet - except for the interview I had a great time.

They say you'll hear from them in about two weeks but I got an acceptance letter and email about 4 days after the interview - I kept on checking the portal and discovered it the night before they called... - just waiting now to hear back from other schools, but i'm excited!

Some answers:
"They're desperate for students!" Midwestern is definitely not desperate for students - at the time of my interview they have over 500 applicants [and growing!] and they're only interviewing about 200ish - of those they're only offering acceptance to about 120-150. Yes, they only have 100 seats - but their rationale is that not everyone offered an acceptance would attend their school. If everyone did accept however, they did say they'll just have to suck it up and take them all. Everything considered, the application statistics are looking about average.

"They're out to get your money!" Doesn't all health schools do that? Midwestern's tuition is actually about average compared to other veterinary schools and actually less than others. [It's not 100% fixed yet so I'm not post it here] It's disappointing that they don't have in-state tuition - but that just means they look at all applicants regardless of residency. I spent a few days sightseeing Arizona and the cost of living there is dirt cheap (compared to Northern California-San Franciso) They're also planning on building dormitories just for the veterinary students so that they can bring pets to live with them - i'm hoping they'd include a small dog park...

"They don't have any animals!" Unlike Western University (the last "new school") Midwestern is actually building a veterinary hospital (you can check the live feed of its progress on their page) but it does only focuses on small animals. Large animals will not be kept permanently on campus, but they do have an area set aside to house the ones they bring in temporarily for school purposes

"How should I prepare for the interview?" It depends, if you're an extroverted social butterfly - you're pretty much golden. If you're shy, softspoken, and so etc - I would definitely recommend doing some vocal exercises to build up your voice, some tongue-twisters so that you can enunciate clearly; I speak from experience and my voice barely cracked during the interview ;-) Do go over some of the interview questions on the web (random ones) and try to get your mindset into answering questions confidently and swiftly - sometimes it's not about what you're saying so much as how you're saying it.

"What are your stats?"
Non-traditional 1st time applicant.
B.A. : 2.74 GPA <- Ack!
Bunch of certifications in between
B.S. : 3.49 GPA <- Meh
Overall GPA 3.1 <- Barely made it!
Overall Sciences 3.6 <- Woot!
Last 45 Units: 4.0
GREs: Q160 / V163 [Manhattan Study Prep roxxors]
~4000 Hours veterinary experience

Edit: Just wanted to add that at the time of my interview - they told me that they've so far only offered about 16 acceptance letters - so roughly 3 or 4 out of every group of 12

Last edited:
I interviewed a few weeks ago and I've got to say, they really impressed me with their facilities and overall goal - that's one of the best things of a new school: specialized buildings to take advantage of new equipment. Don't get me wrong though, Midwestern has been in the health education business for quite a while now and they know what they're doing - they know what works for many of their other programs (human medicine, dentistry, etc.) and they're going to incorporate it into the vet side of their program. I was a bit leery applying there in the beginning with the same apprehensions as everyone else - but I came away from it thinking that this school would be one of my definite choices.

As for my interview - like some of the other posts said: the staff is really friendly and put some of my jitters down quite well. The entire process is rather laid back and since the interview group consists 12 twelve people - there's not much in the way of being overwhelmed. The day starts off with a general presentation about the program, accreditation questions - and yes, even if they don't get accredited after 4 years, those who attend are still considered graduates and can take the boards. We then broke into 2 groups of 6 - one stayed behind for interviews, and the other went on a school tour - and then vice versa. Do plan to bring a book or chum it up with some of the other interviewees as there is a lot of downtime: the tour only took about an hour or so and then everybody waited for the interviews to end.

Interviews consists of yourself and 2 interviewers. Most of the questions they've asked were intended to understand you and your motivation for vet school better - the interesting thing is that they're doing the interview cold: all they have is basically your personal statement and experiences - they don't have any of your grades and so forth so that they can remain objective and only focus on what you did in life, not school. They will then later convene and combine the two to decide if they will offer you acceptance or not. As for the questions themselves, all I can say is know your application and know yourself. The interview process is designed to see how well you communicate with others, if you can get an idea across, and how well you think on your feet - there ARE a few random questions that will have you sweating and thinking "OMG I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ANSWER THAT" - take a deep breath and just start talking - something in that stream of bs will latch on and you could go from there.

After the interview ends, we broke for lunch and continued to talk to the interviewers (I'm secretly thinking that's also part of the interview process...) and ended the day with another tour. All in all, it was short and sweet - except for the interview I had a great time.

They say you'll hear from them in about two weeks but I got an acceptance letter and email about 4 days after the interview - I kept on checking the portal and discovered it the night before they called... - just waiting now to hear back from other schools, but i'm excited!

Some answers:
"They're desperate for students!" Midwestern is definitely not desperate for students - at the time of my interview they have over 500 applicants [and growing!] and they're only interviewing about 200ish - of those they're only offering acceptance to about 120-150. Yes, they only have 100 seats - but their rationale is that not everyone offered an acceptance would attend their school. If everyone did accept however, they did say they'll just have to suck it up and take them all. Everything considered, the application statistics are looking about average.

"They're out to get your money!" Doesn't all health schools do that? Midwestern's tuition is actually about average compared to other veterinary schools and actually less than others. [It's not 100% fixed yet so I'm not post it here] It's disappointing that they don't have in-state tuition - but that just means they look at all applicants regardless of residency. I spent a few days sightseeing Arizona and the cost of living there is dirt cheap (compared to Northern California-San Franciso) They're also planning on building dormitories just for the veterinary students so that they can bring pets to live with them - i'm hoping they'd include a small dog park...

"They don't have any animals!" Unlike Western University (the last "new school") Midwestern is actually building a veterinary hospital (you can check the live feed of its progress on their page) but it does only focuses on small animals. Large animals will not be kept permanently on campus, but they do have an area set aside to house the ones they bring in temporarily for school purposes

"How should I prepare for the interview?" It depends, if you're an extroverted social butterfly - you're pretty much golden. If you're shy, softspoken, and so etc - I would definitely recommend doing some vocal exercises to build up your voice, some tongue-twisters so that you can enunciate clearly; I speak from experience and my voice barely cracked during the interview ;-) Do go over some of the interview questions on the web (random ones) and try to get your mindset into answering questions confidently and swiftly - sometimes it's not about what you're saying so much as how you're saying it.

"What are your stats?"
Non-traditional 1st time applicant.
B.A. : 2.74 GPA <- Ack!
Bunch of certifications in between
B.S. : 3.49 GPA <- Meh
Overall GPA 3.1 <- Barely made it!
Overall Sciences 3.6 <- Woot!
Last 45 Units: 4.0
GREs: Q160 / V163 [Manhattan Study Prep roxxors]
~4000 Hours veterinary experience

Thanks for the info, eddiepbauer! Very informative. Also, congratulations on your acceptance to Midwestern! :thumbup:

Congratulations eddiebauer! And thank you for the info! Very helpful.

Congrats eddiepbauer!!! And I agree with you on everything you said about the interviews and school. I loved the school and the staff was really nice and seemed liked they genuinely cared about the students education. I interviewed last week and just found out today that I got in!!! I applied to several other schools and interviewed at Western last week as well so I'm awaiting to hear from those schools as well, but the future is looking bright!

one concern. on their website it looks like their faculty is extremely small. anyone hear anything about them hiring more professors (or where they're coming from)?

They did say they were in the process of hiring a lot more staff but did not specify where they would be coming from.

congrats to you too mya411! i'm waiting to hear back from other schools as well - but knowing that I got into one for sure really takes the pressure off!

as for the faculty - don't forget that it's a new program - hence they don't need nearly as much faculty as they would for a program (they only have to worry about 100 or so of us instead of the 400+students of other programs) this also mean that for the first year at least, the professors are completely devoted to the entering class - which is kind of cool - much of the 1st year faculty is accounted for and the rest being interviewed and would be present as the program moves forward.

I applied, interviewed and was accepted to Midwestern. I went in being extremely skeptical. I had thoughts similar to what I have been reading on here (they just want money, the reputation or lack there of, being a new school, ect ect). Needless to say I didn't have much hope, but seeing as this is my second round applying I am not going to turn down a viable opportunity. I was honestly very impressed with the campus, the staff, and the overall direction the school is heading. My only concern is that the clinical experience for equine and food animals will not be on campus. They will have animals on site for teaching skills, but no teaching hospital for large animals. That will take place at an off campus location (surrounding practices). Most of the staff I met have prior teaching experience at other schools. I am still considering other schools closer to home, but I am happy that I know I will be going to school somewhere come next fall! And congrats to the others that were accepted!

I applied, interviewed and was accepted to Midwestern. I went in being extremely skeptical. I had thoughts similar to what I have been reading on here (they just want money, the reputation or lack there of, being a new school, ect ect). Needless to say I didn't have much hope, but seeing as this is my second round applying I am not going to turn down a viable opportunity. I was honestly very impressed with the campus, the staff, and the overall direction the school is heading. My only concern is that the clinical experience for equine and food animals will not be on campus. They will have animals on site for teaching skills, but no teaching hospital for large animals. That will take place at an off campus location (surrounding practices). Most of the staff I met have prior teaching experience at other schools. I am still considering other schools closer to home, but I am happy that I know I will be going to school somewhere come next fall! And congrats to the others that were accepted!
Congrats on the acceptance! When was your interview?

Hello,
Anyone out there interview at Midwestern the week of November 4th? My interview was the 7th and I still haven't heard anything back yet. At that time they told me it would be about 2 weeks and I am going into week 3. I saw that a few of you heard back within days so I am getting a little worried.

Thanks!

Hello,
Anyone out there interview at Midwestern the week of November 4th? My interview was the 7th and I still haven't heard anything back yet. At that time they told me it would be about 2 weeks and I am going into week 3. I saw that a few of you heard back within days so I am getting a little worried.

Thanks!

I interviewed the same day as you. I am really worrying too, I'm glad I'm not the only one worrying then I guess. I am afraid we won't hear back until after thanksgiving. I hope we all hear back soon, I was so anxious this week hoping to get a call on thursday.

Man, I was really freaking out. Glad to know it's not just me! I've been going insane checking my email 50+ times a day. Are they definitely going to call us or has email been the most common way to contact us with answers?

Weren't people getting updates in their portal before anything else? Try checking there if you haven't yet.

Checking your portal is really the way to go instead of email - I found out I got accepted when I managed to click into the Accepted Student Checklist. I got a call the next day (which I missed and it went to voicemail) and an email later. I didn't get the snail mail until weeks after.

If you look around the forums outside preveterinary - some of the Midwestern students do say they never got any notice at all except for the student portal. Regardless, I wish you guys the best of luck! The waiting is the most terrifying part!

I was randomly checking the portal today and found out I got an interview! So excited and nervous at the same time!! :):unsure:

Is the tuition 53k just for the first year (and will rise?) or is it predicted to be constant for all 4 years?

Tuition is never constant.

Download the historical cost of education data from the VIN article or read the UFCVM policy for non-sponsored students. Your statement is incorrect.

Does someone who has already been to Midwestern have any real information about this?

Last edited:
Download the historical cost of education data from the VIN article and you'll see that your statement is incorrect.

Does someone who has already been to Midwestern have any real information about this?

Actually, her statement is correct. The vast majority of schools do not have tuition that stays the same from year to year, there is usually a gradual increase in tuition as each year progresses, some schools it is quite a bit, others not as much. This happens at a lot of schools, not just vet schools.

I am lucky, my school does not increase tuition as each year goes along (but I am in the UK).

I don't think anyone will have information for you about Midwestern because it is a new school; we will not be able to tell you if they plan on increasing tuition each year or not, you should call or email them to find out.

So I have interviewed at both LMU and Midwestern (both of the brand new vet schools this year), and I have been admitted to both. I find it very valuable to be able to compare one brand new program to another, and after visiting LMU in Harrogate I just want to say that I am still so impressed with Midwestern, and it remains one of my top choices this cycle. Huge differences I found between the two schools were as follows:

1. Location: Harrogate is in the middle of nowhere, while Glendale is an hour from Phoenix--not to mention that Arizona has pretty awesome weather.
2. A veterinary teaching hospital: MWU-CVM is currently building their teaching hospital, while LMU is not planning on having one-a big downside in my opinion. In fact, a surgeon that works at my hospital left UTK to work at LMU, then found out they weren't going to have a teaching hospital, and ended up at my employment.
3. A Vet School: (!!!) LMU has not even started constructing their vet school, and during my interview I was told it would be complete in about two years. Midwestern's vet school should be done in the fall and you can view the construction on the webcam from their website. You can also do the same for the construction of the teaching hospital.
4. Classes: At LMU I was told by my tour guide that they have awesome DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) professors so they are not hiring many professors for the vet school initially. Therefore, they are combining the first year vet students with the first year DO students in classes such as physiology and anatomy. Even though these are general classes that I believe could be taught efficiently by any competent professor, I would appreciate the course being taught by someone who might be able to relate how certain physiological, anatomical, differences, etc. can be applied to all species, not just humans.

Having said all of this, I'm not going to exclude any school including LMU from my options until I know all of my options at the end of the cycle. I want to emphasize that I truly believe that an individual is largely responsible for their success in any field. It all depends how much dedication, hard work and perseverance one pours into their goal. I have seen not-so-confident vets come from some of the best schools in the country, and then again some of the best vets I know came from schools that are sometimes looked down upon. It all depends on the person and what they make of their life. Sorry...I got on my little soapbox there for a moment :)

Good luck guys

So I have interviewed at both LMU and Midwestern (both of the brand new vet schools this year), and I have been admitted to both. I find it very valuable to be able to compare one brand new program to another, and after visiting LMU in Harrogate I just want to say that I am still so impressed with Midwestern, and it remains one of my top choices this cycle. Huge differences I found between the two schools were as follows:

1. Location: Harrogate is in the middle of nowhere, while Glendale is an hour from Phoenix--not to mention that Arizona has pretty awesome weather.
2. A veterinary teaching hospital: MWU-CVM is currently building their teaching hospital, while LMU is not planning on having one-a big downside in my opinion. In fact, a surgeon that works at my hospital left UTK to work at LMU, then found out they weren't going to have a teaching hospital, and ended up at my employment.
3. A Vet School: (!!!) LMU has not even started constructing their vet school, and during my interview I was told it would be complete in about two years. Midwestern's vet school should be done in the fall and you can view the construction on the webcam from their website. You can also do the same for the construction of the teaching hospital.
4. Classes: At LMU I was told by my tour guide that they have awesome DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) professors so they are not hiring many professors for the vet school initially. Therefore, they are combining the first year vet students with the first year DO students in classes such as physiology and anatomy. Even though these are general classes that I believe could be taught efficiently by any competent professor, I would appreciate the course being taught by someone who might be able to relate how certain physiological, anatomical, differences, etc. can be applied to all species, not just humans.

Having said all of this, I'm not going to exclude any school including LMU from my options until I know all of my options at the end of the cycle. I want to emphasize that I truly believe that an individual is largely responsible for their success in any field. It all depends how much dedication, hard work and perseverance one pours into their goal. I have seen not-so-confident vets come from some of the best schools in the country, and then again some of the best vets I know came from schools that are sometimes looked down upon. It all depends on the person and what they make of their life. Sorry...I got on my little soapbox there for a moment :)

Good luck guys
Congrats on getting in to two schools thus far! I interviews at MWU a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard a peep since.

So I found out I didn't get in today through snail mail. I interviewed 3 weeks ago so I was I thinking I didn't get in. I emailed the director of admissions, like the letter suggested, about what I can do to strengthen my application in case I need to reapply next year. Congrats to everyone who did get in though.

So I interviewed the week before Thanksgiving and I was just checking my portal and the accepted student checklist shows up. I haven't heard anything from them, but does this mean I got in?

So I interviewed the week before Thanksgiving and I was just checking my portal and the accepted student checklist shows up. I haven't heard anything from them, but does this mean I got in?

Same thing with me. When I checked earlier today it said something like "We are unable to find your information" and then when I just checked now it says "Your information is currently being processed. Please check back tomorrow." The part that LAUNCHED me out of my chair was when I discovered I had access to the Accepted Student Checklist!!! So, Sacha3, I think you...we...got in! Methinks there's a large congratulations in order!!!

I interviewed that week before Thanksgiving too, but nothing has changed on mine. Congrats to you guys! Ah, darn it for me.

I interviewed that week before Thanksgiving too, but nothing has changed on mine. Congrats to you guys! Ah, darn it for me.
thank you! good luck and hopefully you will hear back soon!
Same thing with me. When I checked earlier today it said something like "We are unable to find your information" and then when I just checked now it says "Your information is currently being processed. Please check back tomorrow." The part that LAUNCHED me out of my chair was when I discovered I had access to the Accepted Student Checklist!!! So, Sacha3, I think you...we...got in! Methinks there's a large congratulations in order!!!
Congrats to you too! And everyone else that has gotten interviews and acceptances!

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I think you are safe to say you got in! Congrats! That happened to me too! I checked my portal to find the check list. Got a call the next day.

I applied through VMCAS on Oct 2 and I havent heard anything from them. I know they supposedly send you the supplemental if they think you are qualified but I have had zero communication from them. Are people getting rejections yet or do you think I've just gotten lost in the shuffle?

Just want to say that it takes time for VMCAS to verify your transcripts (I sent mine in on Sept 9th and it took two weeks, your sending even later would take any where from 2 weeks to a month or more), and then it'll take time for it to be sent to Midwestern (week or so), and then more time for them to review your applicatoin. Supplemental or rejection, Midwestern is actually pretty quick to reply once they've gotten all your materials (got an email that they've received all my materials one day then got the supplemental 2 days later). But as some would say, no news is good news... :)

Wish you the best of luck!