Midwestern University C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats on the acceptance. Do yall recommend making hotel reservations or should there be plenty of rooms available?

Anytime you are travelling and need a hotel it is always best that you make a reservation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
congrats on the acceptance. Do yall recommend making hotel reservations or should there be plenty of rooms available?
I'd make reservations just to be on the safe side. I HIGHLY recommend staying at Springhill Suites. That's where I stayed and it's super close (only like 2 miles away), the rooms are HUGE and very clean, the staff is super nice, there's a great (free!) continental breakfast and it's really close to all the restaurants/shopping. It was really cheap too, I wanna say I only paid $80 a night.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for comparison, my room cost me $45/night, and there are cheaper rooms available. There may be no breakfast included, but she does have a kitchen, iron and hair dryer I'm welcome to use! I know my budget is really tight, so $80/night would be too much for me.

thanks for all the feedback. I think i'm leaning toward drury inn and suites. It sounds like an experience with all the free food :)

To any of the current students here if you're reading - is there any sort of dress code for class?

I think they said we could do business casual or scrubs but I think they assign you a color of scrubs to a class if I'm not mistaken...

Congrats to those who have been accepted. Does any one plan on entering the school in 2015?

Congrats to those who have been accepted. Does any one plan on entering the school in 2015?
I still have another interview to go but as of right now I'm feeling like there's a good chance I'll be ending up at Midwestern in the fall. Originally Midwestern was kind of a "back up" school for me but after visiting I was super impressed. It just felt right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Current dress code is business casual. Scrubs are only to be worn in anatomy lab or live animal labs.

I have another interview so far but I am even thinking I might cancel it. I was very impressed with MWU. If I don't get into my IS, I am thinking MWU is definitely a good option for me. The hospital looks great. And the area doesn't seem to be in the middle of nowhere, which is nice.

I still have another interview to go but as of right now I'm feeling like there's a good chance I'll be ending up at Midwestern in the fall. Originally Midwestern was kind of a "back up" school for me but after visiting I was super impressed. It just felt right.

I really liked MWU when I was there (November 20th). Every one was friendly and eager to help others. MWU is definitely one of my top choices now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i interview dec 10! i'm so excited hearing such good things from everyone on here!

i interview dec 10! i'm so excited hearing such good things from everyone on here!
You will really like it there. There will be staff of MWU there to talk to everyone and calm their nerves before the interview. The interview is a casual and friendly conversation. Over all it is a really cordial place.

I really liked MWU when I was there (November 20th). Every one was friendly and eager to help others. MWU is definitely one of my top choices now.
I interviewed the 20th too!

Does anyone know how many have been accepted so far? There are only 13 in the facebook group but I feel like there must be more than that.

Does anyone know how many have been accepted so far? There are only 13 in the facebook group but I feel like there must be more than that.

When we were there I believe that the Dean said 30 people have already been accepted. Yea I was one of the three people from new york.

When we were there I believe that the Dean said 30 people have already been accepted. Yea I was one of the three people from new york.
Ohh I know who you are now. I was one of the girls from New York and I saw that the other New York girl joined the facebook group so must be all us New Yorkers got accepted!

Ohh I know who you are now. I was one of the girls from New York and I saw that the other New York girl joined the facebook group so must be all us New Yorkers got accepted!

Congrats to your acceptance. I think you were interviewed right after me in panel A.

Does any one know how the housing is on campus? Are the rooms a descent size and are we allowed to bring more than one pet? I would really like to bring my dog and parrot.

Ooh I'm from New York too!

Does any one know how the housing is on campus? Are the rooms a descent size and are we allowed to bring more than one pet? I would really like to bring my dog and parrot.
I can't find much about the housing on the Glendale campus. There are floor plans and pricing for the Downer's Grove campus though. I don't know if the pricing is going to be similar, but if so I'll definitely be looking for off campus housing. Everything listed for the Downer's Grove campus was around $1,000 per month (electricity not included). I was skimming through some apartments near campus and there are some nice pet friendly 2-3 bedroom apartments for around the same price and some singles in the $700 range. They said if you live on campus with a pet you can't have a roommate so you wouldn't be able to split rent. I'm thinking the most sensible thing to do would be to find one or two roomies and get an apartment that way it would cost about half as much as living on campus. I'm paying $5,000 for the year right now to live in a super nice pet friendly 5 bedroom house with my friends so the idea of paying twice as much for the year to live in a single apartment seems crazy. Maybe some of the currents students have some suggestions though.

I can't find much about the housing on the Glendale campus. There are floor plans and pricing for the Downer's Grove campus though. I don't know if the pricing is going to be similar, but if so I'll definitely be looking for off campus housing. Everything listed for the Downer's Grove campus was around $1,000 per month (electricity not included). I was skimming through some apartments near campus and there are some nice pet friendly 2-3 bedroom apartments for around the same price and some singles in the $700 range. They said if you live on campus with a pet you can't have a roommate so you wouldn't be able to split rent. I'm thinking the most sensible thing to do would be to find one or two roomies and get an apartment that way it would cost about half as much as living on campus. I'm paying $5,000 for the year right now to live in a super nice pet friendly 5 bedroom house with my friends so the idea of paying twice as much for the year to live in a single apartment seems crazy. Maybe some of the currents students have some suggestions though.

I guess I'll look at apartments off campus and compare prices and see which one is more affordable.

Ooh maybe we can all have a play date someday and nerd out together.

A pre-vet/soon to be official vet students nerd out where we brainstorm about how to make the cross country move! :thumbup:

A pre-vet/soon to be official vet students nerd out where we brainstorm about how to make the cross country move! :thumbup:
This is a big move for us.:claps:

This is a big move for us.:claps:

Yup! I don't know how to do it with bunch of pets lol. Well the rent is far, far cheaper than of New York's! Hurray for that! :D:clap:

Yup! I don't know how to do it with bunch of pets lol. Well the rent is far, far cheaper than of New York's! Hurray for that! :D:clap:

If I end up going to mwu my German shepherd and I (and 80 hissing cockroaches and million orchids) are going to have the most epic cross country road trip ever.

If I end up going to mwu my German shepherd and I (and 80 hissing cockroaches and million orchids) are going to have the most epic cross country road trip ever.

:D Hissing cockroaches? That's so cool! Oh yeah, it'll be epic, especially for 80 of them. Now I don't feel so bad for me and my 3 snakes and a gecko, and a cat and a dog and a fish. :rolleyes:

If we both end up at MWU, we will totally talk orchids! My favorite is my black orchid from Belize, my only species orchid.

!!!! I've always wanted one of those. Mine are all rescues from horrible places that were killing them.

Has anyone thought about going to the military after veterinary school?

Has anyone thought about going to the military after veterinary school?

I have. My family has a big military background and I have family members serving in different areas in the world that work near army veterinarians. The ones they work with are more public health /water supply... Safety? During the day and then work on working animals / pets on the off time. I know there are more jobs than that, but I thought it was interesting and not something I would've thought about. (water supply wise).

I have. My family has a big military background and I have family members serving in different areas in the world that work near army veterinarians. The ones they work with are more public health /water supply... Safety? During the day and then work on working animals / pets on the off time. I know there are more jobs than that, but I thought it was interesting and not something I would've thought about. (water supply wise).
Do you know if they help pay off student loans? I was think about talking to a recruiter in the US NAVY.

Do you know if they help pay off student loans? I was think about talking to a recruiter in the US NAVY.

The last time I checked their(army) website, they pay for up to $100,000. (might be slightly more)

It sounds like the Navy uses the Army / Air Force
http://www.public.navy.mil/spawar/Pacific/71500/Pages/MarineMammalHealthCare.aspx
"In addition to civilian veterinary staff, there has always been a U.S. Air Force or Army officer veterinarian assigned to the NMMP as well as supporting corpsmen or veterinary technicians."

Army scholarship:
http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html Full ride(if you get renewed every year) + 20,000$ if you make the requirements

Benefits: http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/veterinarian/benefits.html
"ACTIVE DUTY HEALTH PROFESSIONS LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM
You'll receive up to $120,000 over three years to repay veterinary school loans."

It's the army corp of vets and I believe the Air Force has veterinarians as well. They offer a lot of benefits, I would look into it and talk to someone who has experience with it. I know for sure that the army corp of vets serves most branches of the military including the marine corps. I only know because my husband is a Marine and I am friends with a Captain who is currently serving as the veterinarian on base. He mostly deals with working dogs, food inspection and military member's pets, but he told me there are a ton of Places and specialties. If your in vet school, they pay your tuition and you get a housing allowance and stipend. You have to commit to 3-5 years after you are done with vet school, but they also are one of the higher paying jobs right out of school. There's a few people blogging about it too online too. I'm considering it.

It's the army corp of vets and I believe the Air Force has veterinarians as well. They offer a lot of benefits, I would look into it and talk to someone who has experience with it. I know for sure that the army corp of vets serves most branches of the military including the marine corps. I only know because my husband is a Marine and I am friends with a Captain who is currently serving as the veterinarian on base. He mostly deals with working dogs, food inspection and military member's pets, but he told me there are a ton of Places and specialties. If your in vet school, they pay your tuition and you get a housing allowance and stipend. You have to commit to 3-5 years after you are done with vet school, but they also are one of the higher paying jobs right out of school. There's a few people blogging about it too online too. I'm considering it.
Also be aware the program is highly competitive and they aren't accepting as many people into it.

Also be aware the program is highly competitive and they aren't accepting as many people into it.

That's very true. Although it's still possible. Definitely something to try for if it's the right thing for you.:)

That's very true. Although it's still possible. Definitely something to try for if it's the right thing for you.:)
while I was in school, they really only accepted 1/year. and typically a student closer to being done with the program...so yeah, try for it if you want it, but don't depend on it.

while I was in school, they really only accepted 1/year. and typically a student closer to being done with the program...so yeah, try for it if you want it, but don't depend on it.

I'm not depending on it. However, everyone I know whose applied for it has been successful. :)

I'm not depending on it. However, everyone I know whose applied for it has been successful. :)

I know two people in our class who applied for it and the person responsible for processing their applications left them sitting on his desk when he got reassigned to a different role elsewhere ... and by the time the military transferred someone into his old spot, the deadline was closed and my classmates were rejected because it was past deadline.

Typical military nonsense. It's 100% their fault, and yet it's the applicant who pays the price.

If someone wants to go that route and thinks they would thrive in a military lifestyle, it's definitely worth pursuing. That money is super enticing. But it would be foolish to go into vet school *counting on* getting into that gig.

Definitely agree! My husband has to deal with so much crap because of military bureaucracy. It can be very frustrating and that's on a normal basis.

Im counting on having a bunch of debt. Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.