Midwestern's Rolling Admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catnips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So as some might know, I am applying this year. One of the schools that I am applying is Midwestern (a little scared because they are new, but I can't be too picky - and I am really liking this school). Anyway, I just read that they are doing rolling admissions. What exactly does that mean for the applicants? Should we get in our applications in ASAP? I planned to get more animal hours before turning my VMCAS in and study until August to take the GRE but I want to maximize my chances with Midwestern too.

What did you guys do last year? Since they are on rolling admissions, do they let you know earlier than other schools?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I turned in my VMCAS about two months early and ended up in the first interview group. What was really nice was that I had my acceptance letter by mid November :) I personally feel that Midwestern is going to provide a unique cutting edge learning environment and am very excited to be attending there this Fall. As far as odds go I am pretty sure they have a set number of applicants they accept from each interview group, thus it shouldn't make a difference if you interview in October vs March.

I turned in my VMCAS about two months early and ended up in the first interview group. What was really nice was that I had my acceptance letter by mid November :) I personally feel that Midwestern is going to provide a unique cutting edge learning environment and am very excited to be attending there this Fall. As far as odds go I am pretty sure they have a set number of applicants they accept from each interview group, thus it shouldn't make a difference if you interview in October vs March.

Oh wow mid November! That would be really, really nice :) Congratulations! I really like Midwestern - although I couldn't visit yet since it's across the country for me. But I emailed a question and a veterinarian (I guess she will be teaching there) emailed me with a detailed description of their curriculum - I really like it! It seemed very hands on to me. When was your interview? That must have been pretty early too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed there in mid-November last year. I think I turned in my VMCAS on the day of the priority deadline, and I got an email with a link to their supplemental application shortly after. I completed the supplement pretty quickly (it wasn't too involved) and a day or two after that I got an email offering me an interview. I got waitlisted there, but having the interview there relatively early definitely helped me feel more comfortable in the next couple of interviews that I went to.

Not really. As of the day we matriculate, the school will have provisional accredidation. Which will grant us as students the same rights and benefits as any student graduating from an accredited school. When our class graduates, the school will become fully accredited. After discussing this issue with many professionals, both in the medical and veterinary field the general consensus was that older schools with older facilities that develope probationary accredidation are more likely to lose their accreditation status than midwestern is of not gaining accreditation.

Not really. As of the day we matriculate, the school will have provisional accredidation. Which will grant us as students the same rights and benefits as any student graduating from an accredited school. When our class graduates, the school will become fully accredited. After discussing this issue with many professionals, both in the medical and veterinary field the general consensus was that older schools with older facilities that develope probationary accredidation are more likely to lose their accreditation status than midwestern is of not gaining accreditation.
My school is on probationary accreditation (which according to our dean is the same as provisional, the wording was changed recently) as is Auburn and I just wanted to chime in and say that it appears that every school says something similar. Auburn told their students that there's no doubt in their mind that they will receive full accreditation again, as did my school. I'm not trying to talk you out of Midwestern, but keep in mind that most schools will tell you what you want to hear, to some degree.

I have been out of school for three years. The clinic where I work is involved in the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study and I was put in charge of coordinating that. So that is what filled my research requirement.

I have been out of school for three years. The clinic where I work is involved in the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study and I was put in charge of coordinating that. So that is what filled my research requirement.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but what research requirement?? I've decided to apply to Midwestern this year, and this is the first I've heard of this. Their website just lists "Completion of a minimum of 240 hours (6 weeks) of veterinary, health sciences, animal, or biomedical research experience" as a requirement, which I originally read as 240 hours of veterinary experience, health sciences experience, animal experience, or biomedical research experience, but now I'm not sure. If that's the case, I'll have to take them off of my list unless they count research done in class. :(