Missed time during internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wickedskillz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, had a quick question. I'm currently an intern at a categorical anesthesia program. I recently missed 6 weeks because of a medical issue and needed to use fmla leave. Will that invariably extend my residency, or is there a way to make up for it (I want some ideas for possible solution if they're out there before I talk to the pd). And more importantly, if my residency is extended at the tail end, how does that affect fellowship chances? Are fellowship programs will willing to accept fellows who may join a little late?

Thanks for your help guys

Members don't see this ad.

you will likely still be asked to take the AKT your intern year when everyone else is starting anesthesia. be careful which rotation you're on when you do. I was in a similar situation, was on night float the night before, so an all day test after being up all night wasn't fun.
you will have to extend your residency to reflect the time you need to catch up. fellowships, well can't help you there, but I bet it may put a kink in your plans to do one. of course you could always work until the following cycle.

Why not give up some vacation during residency? If you are able to graduate just 2-3 weeks later than your colleagues, many fellowships will wait for you.