mitochondrial DNA replication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victorias

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that the mitochondrial DNA replication happens independently of the cell cycle. So, I am thinking that when the cell needs to meet its metabolic demands and wants to make more mitochondria, we can find mitochondrial DNA replication happening at any time regardless of what stage of the cell cycle the actual cell is in. But for the purpose of cell division and replication, does organelle DNA replicates in the S phase also? I also remember reading somewhere that organelle replication happens in the G1 phase - so I am not sure here.

Members don't see this ad.

Organelle DNA? I don't believe any other organelle has its own DNA. All except for some mtDNAs are in the nucleus. But anyway, the organelles are assembled by enzymes encodes in the genomes so all organelles in a sense are dependent on the nucleus to tell them what to do and how much of them are needed.

And furthermore, while it is true that mitochondria have their own DNA a vast majority of their gene products (like 99%? not sure but it's high) originate from the nucleus.

So as you can see, organelle replications, even the mitochondria, are dependent on the amount of mRNA just like everything else in the cell.