Molecular Biology Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am writing this after my first molecular biology class (not intro, it's a 3000 level course), and I have to say, I am completely lost. It seemed like the class was being taught in a foreign language. We started going over amino acid, side chains, isoelectric pH, etc... and I'm really not getting any of it. Can you recommend any resources that I might be able to help myself with? I refuse to let this class break me, I will study 3 hours every day if I have to. I really don't want to get weeded out by this course. I just need to get on the right track, but I don't even know where to start. I am going to probably be meeting with a tutor regularly, but I have never felt this over my head before in any class I've taken previously. Any input would help, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Molecular bio can be tough. I would say it was one of my more difficult courses in college. The way I did it: Read the chapter twice. Study from the lecture slides.

I'm pretty sure this class is inflated in difficulty because of all of the AP bio kids coming into it. The first day of my class, my prof held up the book and said "who's already read this book?" Everyone but 2 (myself 1 of 2) raised their hand. "Ok then I'll just assume you know everything in it."

It's going to be a struggle for you to be sure. Put in the time. That's the only real solution. Bio is 99% memorization.

Generic info: Ask around and see if any of your friends have taken that course and have specific recommendations. Go to your profs office hours and ask if there are any additional resources he can recommend. Also just attend office hours regularly to make sure you don't fall too far behind. Study with a small group from your class. If you still can't keep up, then go for the paid private tutor.

Hey guys, I am writing this after my first molecular biology class (not intro, it's a 3000 level course), and I have to say, I am completely lost. It seemed like the class was being taught in a foreign language. We started going over amino acid, side chains, isoelectric pH, etc... and I'm really not getting any of it. Can you recommend any resources that I might be able to help myself with? I refuse to let this class break me, I will study 3 hours every day if I have to. I really don't want to get weeded out by this course. I just need to get on the right track, but I don't even know where to start. I am going to probably be meeting with a tutor regularly, but I have never felt this over my head before in any class I've taken previously. Any input would help, thanks!
Read the textbook, talk to the professor/TAs/ fellow classmates about the material you do not understand entirely. Use resources besides your textbook as well. For example, you can read an introductory biochem book for amino acids (or a chapter on amino acids in an organic chemistry book). It all comes down to how much you time and effort you are willing to put into this. The good thing is once you become more comfortable with the material, cell bio is quite interesting to study. Good luck! :)