Most pharmacist need states. And easiest state to stay licensed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to getting licensed; however, ease of staying licensed is important to me, as I may be in the position where I may not have the ability to be near continuing C.E. and other venues pharmacists use to stay licensed.

I am also looking for states that have more of a pharmacist need to get licensed in. Which ones are those?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also interested in the cheapest license renewal fee state in the context of the information above, pharmacist need, low continuing education hours, etc.

Are you planning on being able to move to multiple states? Otherwise there isn't any point in holding a cheap "license by exam" state. There isn't any point in holding a WV license if you are going to practice in OH for your whole career.

If you are planning on multiple moves over the next few years, don't pick the most expensive for your first license.

My only advice - Don't pick TN. Its essentially $975 every 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
TN is steep and the fees recently went up for board licensure. The $400 professional privilege tax has stayed the same though. If you do want a "cheap" state to be licensed in just make sure that they reciprocate with other states when considering licensure (I know Cali and Florida tend to be bad about that). Many states won't allow a NAPLEX transfer or transfer of other requirements if you are licensed in a state that does not reciprocate with them.

TN is steep and the fees recently went up for board licensure. The $400 professional privilege tax has stayed the same though. If you do want a "cheap" state to be licensed in just make sure that they reciprocate with other states when considering licensure (I know Cali and Florida tend to be bad about that). Many states won't allow a NAPLEX transfer or transfer of other requirements if you are licensed in a state that does not reciprocate with them.

That's good to know. Looks like TN stinks for many reasons.
Does anybody know of a cheap state to get registered in? I'm pretty sure I will be quite mobile in the coming years. Ease of keeping said initial license (e.g. not many C.E. credits, etc.) is also important to me.

Last edited:
Alaska's cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a troll, or just a non-native English speaker? This kind of thing would be one of the last of my concerns, and really, if you have access to a computer, you have access to CEs. Where would you go that you couldn't do them? Print CEs are still readily available as well.

I was thinking about Texas...word is there is need, intern hours reasonable;however not sure about the C.E. component.