MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to Rutgers' MPH in Epidemiology!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got into Columbia SMS! Going to be difficult choosing between that program, Dartmouth's accelerated MPH, and Yale's Health Policy. Anyone have two cents they could give on how they made their choice?
Congratulations! I got into Columbia HPM, UMich HMP, Yale health policy and in the end chose Yale mainly bc of what I personally felt was important for my time there. In he end much of the coursework was similar, both programs are super strong and have an amazing network etc. So these were my main decisions after reviewing both programs:

1) funding, i got more funding from Yale and I feel much more confident about a financial plan if i attended yale
2) more people from yale reached out to me than anyone else in other programs, i had the opportunity to meet with the FA office to discuss repayment options, spoke with student ambassadors to talk about their experiences etc. This is the kind of support I wanted going into a masters program, from faculty, administrative and peer to peer support
3) more affordable COL in new haven vs. Columbia at a comfortable level (meaning I don't have to live with like 4 other roommates in NYC to somewhat afford a similar COL in CT)

Good luck in your decision, you honestly can't make a wrong choice with the programs you're looking at!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to JHU MPH full time on the priority deadline and they reached out about a name mistake in one of my WES documents and it took until late December to fix the issue and they told me that my application was sent for review on the 22nd of December but i haven't heard back from them till now and my personal page says that my application is still under review...is this a bad sign?

I still haven’t heard from JHU MSPH and I got access to my portal on Jan 6. Do you think I should email someone for an update or wait a little longer?

Hi everyone! Looking for some advice here, what is everyone considering when choosing the school they are attending (cost, curriculum, etc.)? I am deciding between UIC and Michigan and am really having trouble making a final decision. My program is industrial hygiene (IH) through the Environmental Health department. A large factor in my school decision was for my program to be accredited, which both UIC and UMich are. Michigan has a very well-known IH program, however out-of-state tuition for Michigan is incredibly expensive. I did receive a scholarship for 50%, but with the COL I am having a difficult time justifying taking that much out in loans. For my scholarship offered at UIC, tuition would be about 15K cheaper than Michigan. Does anyone have any knowledge about UIC and their programs or student outcomes? I want to be in a good program that I will feel supported in, but I also do not want to go so far in debt.

Hi everyone! Looking for some advice here, what is everyone considering when choosing the school they are attending (cost, curriculum, etc.)? I am deciding between UIC and Michigan and am really having trouble making a final decision. My program is industrial hygiene (IH) through the Environmental Health department. A large factor in my school decision was for my program to be accredited, which both UIC and UMich are. Michigan has a very well-known IH program, however out-of-state tuition for Michigan is incredibly expensive. I did receive a scholarship for 50%, but with the COL I am having a difficult time justifying taking that much out in loans. For my scholarship offered at UIC, tuition would be about 15K cheaper than Michigan. Does anyone have any knowledge about UIC and their programs or student outcomes? I want to be in a good program that I will feel supported in, but I also do not want to go so far in debt.
hey, have you looked into the training grants for IH/other occupational safety concentrations offered at UMich? I emailed the program director for Occ and Env Epi, which is the program I was admitted to, and they said they'll be allocating the NIOSH funding in the coming weeks. Not sure if you've spoken with the IH program director, but it's possible more money is coming your way (this is assuming the 50% you already got is from admissions and not NIOSH/COHSE funding)

Does anyone know how NYU is for Biostatistics? In general, how it's regarded among employers etc

How were you notified of your scholarship at UIC? I was also admitted into both of these schools and considering both as well!

hey, have you looked into the training grants for IH/other occupational safety concentrations offered at UMich? I emailed the program director for Occ and Env Epi, which is the program I was admitted to, and they said they'll be allocating the NIOSH funding in the coming weeks. Not sure if you've spoken with the IH program director, but it's possible more money is coming your way (this is assuming the 50% you already got is from admissions and not NIOSH/COHSE funding)
Hello! Yes, 25% of my offer was a traineeship from the NIOSH and the other 25% was from admissions! I spoke to the IH program director and he was not able to offer any more aid at this time, so I am hoping that admissions could possibly offer a bit more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How were you notified of your scholarship at UIC? I was also admitted into both of these schools and considering both as well!
I received my offer letter via email from the program director! It's a hard decision, what program did you apply for?

I received my offer letter via email from the program director! It's a hard decision, what program did you apply for?
I applied to the Community Health Science program at UIC and Health Education and Health Behavior at UMich. I'm out of state for UIC and in-state for Michigan but the cost of living in Ann Arbor is insane! Looks like I'll be commuting from home 😓.

Also, have you been able to contact the financial aid office? I called them several times and no one answers. After looking at their reviews on Google, this seems to be a common issue I guess.

I applied to the Community Health Science program at UIC and Health Education and Health Behavior at UMich. I'm out of state for UIC and in-state for Michigan but the cost of living in Ann Arbor is insane! Looks like I'll be commuting from home 😓.

Also, have you been able to contact the financial aid office? I called them several times and no one answers. After looking at their reviews on Google, this seems to be a common issue I guess.
Yes so expensive!! I honestly was not expecting that when I started considering Michigan. I have not heard from the financial aid office yet, but I just emailed them today to discuss my financial aid award. If I heard from them I will let you know :)

Applied standard to UCSD has anyone heard back this month? Also is anyone still waiting for a result for UCLA HPM?

Hey everyone!

I received an email congratulating me on my acceptance to Yale, however, no prompt to visit the portal to view my decision. I'm thinking worst-case scenario and they mistakenly sent me that email, since all other schools have emails that make me log into a portal. Has anyone had a similar experience with Yale?

Also, does anyone have a link to the admissions portal?

Major imposter syndrome - clearly.

Also, general update:

Dartmouth: Waitlist
Harvard: Rejection
Columbia: Waiting
Yale: Acceptance

Hey everyone!

I received an email congratulating me on my acceptance to Yale, however, no prompt to visit the portal to view my decision. I'm thinking worst-case scenario and they mistakenly sent me that email, since all other schools have emails that make me log into a portal. Has anyone had a similar experience with Yale?

Also, does anyone have a link to the admissions portal?

Major imposter syndrome - clearly.

Also, general update:

Dartmouth: Waitlist
Harvard: Rejection
Columbia: Waiting
Yale: Acceptance
I had the same thing happen with another school, you should be all good! The school sent me a congrats email first, then a few days later they sent another email to me that a decision was made to my portal. I think for similar situations you can probably check your portal now too and the decision is gonna be the same as your congrats letter.

also congratsss!

I had the same thing happen with another school, you should be all good! The school sent me a congrats email first, then a few days later they sent another email to me that a decision was made to my portal. I think for similar situations you can probably check your portal now too and the decision is gonna be the same as your congrats letter.

also congratsss!
haha thank you for your answer!

Unfortunately, I never got any information about a portal. But, fingers crossed! I also emailed them earlier to double check :)

haha thank you for your answer!

Unfortunately, I never got any information about a portal. But, fingers crossed! I also emailed them earlier to double check :)
Hi! Yale doesn't have a portal if I'm not mistaken!

Anyone receive a Hopkins Sommer scholarship? Or know someone who did?

I am absolutely shocked as I just received a $30,000 Horstmann Scholarship from Yale!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Got waitlisted from JHU in MSPH GDEC this morning. Does anyone know if there is a good probability I can still get in?

Admitted to Yale’s MS in Biostatistics (Data Science track)! Applied through Yale’s MS/PhD portal (not SOPHAS). Been waiting to hear since December. So thrilled!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
HI everyone! I just got accepted to Boston University (my top choice! so happy!) and am now trying to fill out the financial services form, which requires a BU ID. Does anyone know how to find this, or who to contact to figure that out? Thanks and good luck everyone!

Has anyone received scholarship information from UNC Chapel Hill? I received a decision from UNC Chapel Hill in mid December after I applied in late November, and I've been waiting on financial awards since. My acceptance letter said scholarship awards usually come out 3-4 weeks after decision.

Hey guys, so yesterday I received an email from GWU inviting me to a webinar and it was addressed to “Dear Admitted Students” I have not yet received an email or anything saying I was admitted! Is this a mistake? 😢

Last edited:
I got a reply from her and she said I didn’t get it! You may need to email her again. I’ll be honest the template rejection she emailed me was a little annoying because she said they “focused strongly on those demonstrating alignment in current and future contributions addressing global catastrophic biological risks,” as if my application didn’t demonstrate that, but working on pandemic preparedness and smallpox/anthrax preparedness has been my job the past 6 years 😂 I know it’s just a template but maybe they should remove that as I’m sure a ton of people who applied have a focus on it haha
Yeah, I didn't get it either. I agree with you. They need fix quite a few things on that template.

Is it still too late to apply for any accelerated MPH programs that start in the Summer?

Is it still too late to apply for any accelerated MPH programs that start in the Summer?
I'm not 100% sure, but if you go on SOPHAS, you can see the available programs and their start dates! I know a bunch of schools still have applications open :)

I'm not 100% sure, but if you go on SOPHAS, you can see the available programs and their start dates! I know a bunch of schools still have applications open :)
Tufts opened their application in March I think!

I just got waitlisted for the Harvard SM80 Biostatistics program! Does anyone know about the Harvard waitlist (do people get off? is there anything I can do?)?

Hi everyone! I was lucky to be accepted into the MPH 45-credit Quantitative Methods at Harvard for this Fall. I was wondering if there are fellow QM students who received an email regarding optional Summer classes and whether you plan on attending them. I unfortunately did not receive any scholarship, so funding for the 1 year program will be tough enough as it is without adding the Summer program tuition. But the email seemed to "strongly" recommend (although optional..) taking summer intro Biostatistics before starting in the Fall, and it is also true that my math/statistics skills are pretty rusty since graduating from undergrad 6 yrs ago.

Any advice/help on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Also, congratulations and good luck to everyone on this thread, wishing the best in your final decisions!

Hoping to see if anyone has any insights on what to expect? I have no idea what my benchmark is and I don't want to get my hopes up for schools like GWU, Tufts, and Tulane (favorite schools) if I have a low chance of getting in. I have such a high level of anxiety surrounding applications (which is why I applied to so many schools) and was wondering if anyone had any advice in terms of what is and isn't realistic on my list).

Undergraduate School/School type:
30k undergrad population, state, North East ( very competitive stem programs)

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.28/3.79 (3.17 SOPHAS Verified) - very large upward trend 3.58 Health Science GPA, 3.47 Upper Division GPA

Major/minor: B.S Health Sciences -
Focus in Global and Environmental Health (Mix between PH and Clinical health in terms of course load)

Experience/research:

4 years as an EMT/ 2 years as an ambulance driver / 1 year as a supervising officer (2000+ Volunteer hours) 2018-current
Started a mental health organization connecting students to mental health resources

Letters of Rec:

Epidemiology Professor ( Epidemiologist, DPH, 50+ publications in Epi ) - know very well, is my advisor, got an A in Epi
Associate Director of the honors program - wrote what feels like a million papers for her, very knowledgeable of my skills in research writing
Deputy Chief of my EMS station - has been my boss for 4 years, is a paramedic

Interests:

Epidemiology related to health disparities especially mothers of color

Applied:
GWU, Georgia State, Tulane, Wash U St. Louis, Upenn, Stony Brook, Drexel, Rutgers, UCLA (submitted 2/02)
Tufts (03/02) USF, UPitt, Temple (03/14) Emory (03/15) - All epi or epi/biostats except stony brook and UPenn

Accepted: --
Rejected:--
Waitlisted:--
Attending:--

Hi everyone! I was lucky to be accepted into the MPH 45-credit Quantitative Methods at Harvard for this Fall. I was wondering if there are fellow QM students who received an email regarding optional Summer classes and whether you plan on attending them. I unfortunately did not receive any scholarship, so funding for the 1 year program will be tough enough as it is without adding the Summer program tuition. But the email seemed to "strongly" recommend (although optional..) taking summer intro Biostatistics before starting in the Fall, and it is also true that my math/statistics skills are pretty rusty since graduating from undergrad 6 yrs ago.

Any advice/help on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Also, congratulations and good luck to everyone on this thread, wishing the best in your final decisions!
There is a discord server for Harvard MPH admitted students. We are no more than 30 people at this stage but may worth joining and getting others’ accepted view on this? Maybe also try to speak to current students/ recent alumni through LinkedIn to understand what they did?

How long does it usually take for schools to inform you of their decision?

Harvard SM'80 Globa Health vs Yale MPH - HPM - Help me choose!!!!!

In a nutshell, I wanna apply to med school down the line and I have no intention to pursue phd. I am looking to work in an administrative position maybe after the masters for a couple of years. While I am super grateful to get into both Harvard and Yale, this is also becoming extremeley impossible to choose. I heard SM is suitable for only research oriented jobs? I mean, If I want to do an administrative fellowship, say in a hospital after graduation, would I be stupid to choose Harvard over Yale?? Please let me know your thoughts!!

Harvard SM'80 Globa Health vs Yale MPH - HPM - Help me choose!!!!!

In a nutshell, I wanna apply to med school down the line and I have no intention to pursue phd. I am looking to work in an administrative position maybe after the masters for a couple of years. While I am super grateful to get into both Harvard and Yale, this is also becoming extremeley impossible to choose. I heard SM is suitable for only research oriented jobs? I mean, If I want to do an administrative fellowship, say in a hospital after graduation, would I be stupid to choose Harvard over Yale?? Please let me know your thoughts!!
How come you didn't apply to Harvard's MPH-65 in Health Management or Health Policy? Not sure how flexible Harvard is with switching, but might be worth talking to a program director since it sounds like that program might be better suited for your goals. That being said I don't think doing the SM in Global Health would hurt you at all and I'm sure you could still get the admin fellowship you want with either choice here. Perhaps just boil it down to which curriculum sounds more interesting to you, and where you want to live more!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know who to contact from UMich regarding an aid appeal? I emailed the financial aid office but that was not the correct one for an appeal.

Does anybody know who to contact from UMich regarding an aid appeal? I emailed the financial aid office but that was not the correct one for an appeal.
I would try the department/program head for the program you were admitted for, as they were the ones to distribute the scholarships!

Undergraduate School/School type: Stony Brook University, State School (2021 Graduate)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.48/3.94
Major/minor: Sociology Major, Biology and Chemistry Minors
GRE(including date taken): Did not take

Experience/research: Research assistant for Evolutionary Biology (2 Years), Undergraduate Researcher for Covid-19 Health Disparities Project (1 year), Volunteered as Community Health Outreach Team Leader (2 Year), Medical Sociology TA (1 Semester), Legal Assistant (1 Year), Summer Health Professions Education Program Alumni, Health Careers Opportunity Program Alumni, 2 Undergraduate National Scholarships for Commitment to Minority Health Disparities, 2 Research Travel Grants, and ABRCMS Participant

Letters of Rec: 1 from former Sociology professor and research supervisor (Known 3 years), 1 from former PI (Known 2 Years), and 1 from community outreach supervisor (Known 3 Years).

Interests: Minority Health Disparities, Urban Health, South Asian Health Disparities, Epidemiology of Chronic Diseases, Social/Behavioral Health, Health Policy, and Health Promotion

Applied:
  1. Columbia University- MPH in Sociomedical Sciences
  2. New York University- MPH in Social and Behavioral Sciences
  3. Boston University- MPH in Health Policy and Law
  4. Drexel University- MPH in Community Health Sciences and Prevention
  5. University at Albany- MPH in Social Behavior and Community Health
  6. Mount Sinai- MPH in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
  7. SUNY Downstate- MPH in Community Health Sciences
  8. CUNY- MPH in Community Health
Accepted: Drexel 1/26 ($15k Dean's Scholarship), Albany 1/25 ($1k Dean's Scholarship per semester), Mount Sinai 1/26, SUNY Downstate 2/3, CUNY 2/11, and Columbia 3/16 so far
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: N/A

Still waiting to hear back from my top choices (NYU and Boston). I applied in the first week of January for all schools so it was a bit later in the cycle. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone!
Just heard back from Columbia!! So happy :)

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UC Berkeley? At this point I’m assuming the silence means it will be a rejection 😩