MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am currently trying to decide between Berkeley, Brown and Columbia. Any thoughts/advice about any of these three schools would be so helpful :)

Members don't see this ad.

GOT IN TO HARVARD SM80 YESTERDAY!!! Cannot believe it! Got waitlisted on March 14th with a note that said they would re-review if there’s space in May, but then got an email to check my portal!!! 🎉

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone also not heard back from Columbia regarding scholarships? Or can we assume if we don’t hear back = no scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently trying to decide between Berkeley, Brown and Columbia. Any thoughts/advice about any of these three schools would be so helpful :)
I committed to Berkeley but now looking at housing has me like o_O I'm sure it'd be that way in NYC too though! What are your interests? What programs were you accepted to?

OMG I got into UNC Chapel Hill for Health Behavior!!! Got a FAFSA notification on Friday and the official acceptance this morning. First gen, Latinx, former college dropout. So excited! Waiting on 2 more before making a decision.
Congrats to everyone & best wishes on your continued journeys. I wanted to share my stats now that I've made a decision:

Undergraduate School/School type: CSU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/3.7
Major/minor: Public Health
No GRE taken

Experience/research:
Undergraduate thesis; CDC Undergraduate Public Health Scholars Program; internship at a university working on an NIH-funded program to address COVID-19 disparities; 5+ years of activism/social justice work; on the E-board of Public Health Student Association at my uni

Letters of Rec:
1. Thesis advisor (epidemiology prof. at school)
2. Research analysis prof. at my school
3. Director of the CDC Undergraduate Public Health Scholars Program I attended (also the chair of a PH dept at top 10 school)

Interests: SDOH; Latinx/immigrant populations; health comm. & health behavior among minority populations; consumer health

Applied: UNC Chapel Hill (Health Behavior); UMich (Health Behavior/Health Education); UCLA (Community Health Sciences)
Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill (Merit scholarship ~$37k), UMich (75% tuition scholarship), UCLA (Graduate Opportunity Fellowship)
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: UCLA :)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to BU with a 25% scholarship!!

That concludes my application cycle. Now to make a decision...

Reactions: 1 users
Cal just sent an email saying to expect a decision on my application by April 22 😂 what the heck? that’s after the deadline for almost every school. Guess I won’t be going there even if I get accepted

hey! are there any groupchats/discords for those accepted into yale?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone attending Harvard sorted out accomodation?
I am so stuck trying to find somewhere

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone attending Harvard sorted out accomodation?
I am so stuck trying to find somewhere
Hi, I'm not attending Harvard but I did live in Boston for 4 years. HSPH is in a very expensive part of Boston (Longwood/Fenway) (and Boston is already very expensive) and I recommend finding roommates unless you want to be paying $2300/month for rent. If you can't find other MPH students to live with, you may have luck in Boston housing facebook groups.

Another tip is that a lot of Boston rentals start their leases on September 1st. So keep that in mind as you look for apartments.

Hi, I'm not attending Harvard but I did live in Boston for 4 years. HSPH is in a very expensive part of Boston (Longwood/Fenway) (and Boston is already very expensive) and I recommend finding roommates unless you want to be paying $2300/month for rent. If you can't find other MPH students to live with, you may have luck in Boston housing facebook groups.

Another tip is that a lot of Boston rentals start their leases on September 1st. So keep that in mind as you look for apartments.
Thank you so much!

Hello everyone!

I was accepted into Meharrys MPH program. I am look for any one else who may have been accepted.

Since I've submitted my deposit I figured I would put my stats. Since I'm a more non-traditional student and my cycle was all over the place I hope this is helpful for someone! If anything my cycle shows that after work experience your undergrad GPA (or even grad GPA) matters less and less. I would say write a compelling personal statement. I got 4 comments from admissions counselors regarding my personal statement saying it was well written and made them cry.

Undergraduate School/School type: Top HBCU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/? I have no idea it's been awhile since undergrad
Graduate GPA: Also have no idea. I attended law school and it didn't follow the traditional grading rubric
Major/minor: Undergrad Major was Political Science. Also received my JD
No GRE taken

Experience/research:
6 years as a healthcare attorney; 1 year as an in house counsel for a large hospital system. I didn't have any research experience nor did I take any PH courses.

Letters of Rec:
1. Colleague
2. Grad School Mentor
3. Work Boss

Applied: UNC Chapel Hill MPH, GWU MPH, Cornell Exec MPH, Michigan Exec MPH, NYU, Dartmouth Exec MPH, Yale Exec MPH Columbia Exec MPH and Harvard Generalist
Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill ($), GWU ($), Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Columbia and Harvard ($$)
Rejected: Yale
Waitlisted: Dartmouth
Attending: Harvard

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted to BU with a 25% scholarship!!

That concludes my application cycle. Now to make a decision...
Go with the cheaper option, unless you have a very specific research interest at BU. Boston is so expensive and BU even charges more per credit for the MPH than even MSW degree at the school. It doesn’t matter where you get the MPH to large degree, more what skills you get out. Employers know that students with little public health experience go to BU and other cheaper schools, you’re learning the same material really, it's how you market what you learned.

BU has poor class availability for in-person classes, not a positive atmosphere for students, definitely a cash grab as you disappear once they’ve gotten your tuition dollars!

Go with the cheaper option, unless you have a very specific research interest at BU. Boston is so expensive and BU even charges more per credit for the MPH than even MSW degree at the school. It doesn’t matter where you get the MPH to large degree, more what skills you get out. Employers know that students with little public health experience go to BU and other cheaper schools, you’re learning the same material really, it's how you market what you learned.

BU has poor class availability for in-person classes, not a positive atmosphere for students, definitely a cash grab as you disappear once they’ve gotten your tuition dollars!
Thank you for this!! I am not really considering going to BU now, as I believe there's no way I will be able to afford the cost of living in Boston. Currently, I am leaning heavily towards Hopkins as it is my cheapest option and well known for epidemiology!

I am between UC Berkeley and Emory but leaning more towards UC Berkeley due to its location tbh. Emory has given me more scholarships and also a REAL award which financially makes it possible to attend there. But UC Berkeley has given me very little amount of money but they told me they are confident about providing more funding to me after the enrollment deadline. It seems too risky for me and I have no idea what to do right now. What would you recommend to me?

I am between UC Berkeley and Emory but leaning more towards UC Berkeley due to its location tbh. Emory has given me more scholarships and also a REAL award which financially makes it possible to attend there. But UC Berkeley has given me very little amount of money but they told me they are confident about providing more funding to me after the enrollment deadline. It seems too risky for me and I have no idea what to do right now. What would you recommend to me?
I would talk with students at Berkeley and see if the school promises things that they can not deliver . . . sounds kid of odd they want you to accept and then get funding, sounds a little bit shady. It's all personal choice if there is a region of the country that would make your attendance a negative, personally I think Emory is a great school and I'd go there, but everybody has a different need and opinion for sure, usually makes sense to go with the cheaper option. If you're set on Berkely they talk with them more about when students get funding, and maybe explain that your decision between them and Emory comes down to funding and that you'd want to see it before enrolling.

Thank you for this!! I am not really considering going to BU now, as I believe there's no way I will be able to afford the cost of living in Boston. Currently, I am leaning heavily towards Hopkins as it is my cheapest option and well known for epidemiology!
Definitely JHU is a great school! Tons of research and a proven history of public health, and not too far away from D.C. if you'd want to network some there.

I would talk with students at Berkeley and see if the school promises things that they can not deliver . . . sounds kid of odd they want you to accept and then get funding, sounds a little bit shady. It's all personal choice if there is a region of the country that would make your attendance a negative, personally I think Emory is a great school and I'd go there, but everybody has a different need and opinion for sure, usually makes sense to go with the cheaper option. If you're set on Berkely they talk with them more about when students get funding, and maybe explain that your decision between them and Emory comes down to funding and that you'd want to see it before enrolling.
Thank you! This really helped.

Undergraduate School/School type: 2 Canadian Undergraduate degrees
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/minor:
1. Health Science 2. Nursing
Grad GPA (if applicable):
Grad studies (if applicable):
Medical Ethics and Law
GRE(including date taken):
n/a

Experience/research:

Capstone Undergrad
Masters Dissertation
Student Council Representative in both undergraduate degrees
National Board Member on student association focusing on research and education
Research student of advancing senior care
Volunteer on ethics committee
Current registered nurse- pediatric critical care, neonatal critical care, adjudication, correctional nursing

Letters of Rec:
3 Professors from undergrad

Interests:

Health policy, health administration, healthcare management, ethics in healthcare

Applied:
Dartmouth MPH- online, Harvard MBE, John Hopkins MBE/MSPH/MPH (online), Columbia MHA, Northwestern MPH, Boston U- MPH- Health Management, University of Minnesota- Public Admin and Policy, University of Toronto-MPH SBS, Brown- MPH, UPenn-MPH
Accepted:
Boston U ($$), JHU- MPH, Dartmouth ($$), Columbia, University of Minnesota
Rejected:
JHU- MSPH and JHU MBE, UPenn, Brown
Waitlisted:
Northwestern, NYU
Attending:
Dartmouth MPH

Hi Everyone, could anyone provide insight if they think it's too late to apply for Fall 2022? I know some schools deadlines have not passed yet I'm just wondering what my chances are

Is Harvard's SM 80 in global health worth 80k in debt? or would it be a safer option to go for Columbia's MPH-HPM instead? Employment after graduation is my priority as I am an international student and even Columbia's expenses are going to be the same more or less. April 15th is just a couple of days away and I am freaking out! Any insights would be really appreciated!!!

Hi Everyone, could anyone provide insight if they think it's too late to apply for Fall 2022? I know some schools deadlines have not passed yet I'm just wondering what my chances are
Many schools set their deadline for deposits for 4/15 which is super soon. You also are unlikely to get funding this late (for some schools, there are priority deadlines for funding). What about looking at programs where you could start in January 2023 or May 2023?

So sorry if this has been asked but does anyone have a working link for the Columbia Mailman discord?

Today I received an email and was offered to have 100% of my tuition covered at the University of Michigan! With this being my top choice, I am feeling eternally grateful and have accepted my offer there! The past few weeks have been very tough trying to make a decision because I knew that Michigan was my perfect fit but I just could not afford it, so I cannot even put my happiness into words.

After declining my offers from other wonderful schools, I hope this opens up more scholarship and admission opportunities for others! I am so thankful to all of you for offering your own advice/insight throughout this grueling process. You are all so deserving and will excel in your graduate studies, I wish you all the best of luck!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know if it is possible to take the Summer term classes of the JHU full-time MPH program fully online If I am not able to do it onsite only for the summer term?

Today I received an email and was offered to have 100% of my tuition covered at the University of Michigan! With this being my top choice, I am feeling eternally grateful and have accepted my offer there! The past few weeks have been very tough trying to make a decision because I knew that Michigan was my perfect fit but I just could not afford it, so I cannot even put my happiness into words.

After declining my offers from other wonderful schools, I hope this opens up more scholarship and admission opportunities for others! I am so thankful to all of you for offering your own advice/insight throughout this grueling process. You are all so deserving and will excel in your graduate studies, I wish you all the best of luck!
I just accepted my offer at U of M too!! Hopefully, I'll see you in the fall! What's your concentration?

• Care
I just accepted my offer at U of M too!! Hopefully, I'll see you in the fall! What's your concentration?
Thats so exciting, congrats!! Im in Environmental Health Sciences on the Industrial Hygiene track, what is your concentration? See you in the fall!!:)

got into stanford epi!!! dm me if you are also accepted!!

Thats so exciting, congrats!! Im in Environmental Health Sciences on the Industrial Hygiene track, what is your concentration? See you in the fall!!:)
see y'all in ann arbor in the fall! i just accepted my offer as well (global health epi)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I'm in HBHE!

• Care
Undergraduate School/School type: 2 Canadian Undergraduate degrees
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/minor: 1. Health Science 2. Nursing
Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.37
Grad studies (if applicable): Medical Ethics and Law
GRE(including date taken): n/a

Experience/research:
Capstone Undergrad
Masters Dissertation
Student Council Representative in both undergraduate degrees
National Board Member on student association focusing on research and education
Research student of advancing senior care
Volunteer on ethics committee
Current registered nurse- pediatric critical care, neonatal critical care, adjudication, correctional nursing

Letters of Rec:

3 Professors from undergrad

Interests:
Health policy, health administration, healthcare management, ethics in healthcare

Applied: Dartmouth MPH- online, Harvard MBE, John Hopkins MBE/MSPH/MPH (online), Columbia MHA, Northwestern MPH, Boston U- MPH- Health Management, University of Minnesota- Public Admin and Policy, University of Toronto-MPH SBS, Brown- MPH, UPenn-MPH
Accepted: Boston U ($$), JHU- MPH, Dartmouth ($$), Columbia, University of Minnesota
Rejected: JHU- MSPH and JHU MBE, UPenn, Brown
Waitlisted: Northwestern, NYU
Attending: Dartmouth MPH
Congratulations!! Did you ever hear from UofT?

Hey!! Are there any group chats/discords for those accepted into UT Health?

Since I've submitted my deposit I figured I would put my stats. Since I'm a more non-traditional student and my cycle was all over the place I hope this is helpful for someone! If anything my cycle shows that after work experience your undergrad GPA (or even grad GPA) matters less and less. I would say write a compelling personal statement. I got 4 comments from admissions counselors regarding my personal statement saying it was well written and made them cry.

Undergraduate School/School type: Top HBCU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/? I have no idea it's been awhile since undergrad
Graduate GPA: Also have no idea. I attended law school and it didn't follow the traditional grading rubric
Major/minor: Undergrad Major was Political Science. Also received my JD
No GRE taken

Experience/research:
6 years as a healthcare attorney; 1 year as an in house counsel for a large hospital system. I didn't have any research experience nor did I take any PH courses.

Letters of Rec:
1. Colleague
2. Grad School Mentor
3. Work Boss

Applied: UNC Chapel Hill MPH, GWU MPH, Cornell Exec MPH, Michigan Exec MPH, NYU, Dartmouth Exec MPH, Yale Exec MPH Columbia Exec MPH and Harvard Generalist
Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill ($), GWU ($), Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Columbia and Harvard ($$)
Rejected: Yale
Waitlisted: Dartmouth
Attending: Harvard
I'm so happy to see there will be another attorney at Harvard! Though I suppose I can't actually call myself an attorney yet . . . (I graduate law school in a few weeks and will take the CA bar in July before starting Harvard in August).

Will you be attending in person?

I'm so happy to see there will be another attorney at Harvard! Though I suppose I can't actually call myself an attorney yet . . . (I graduate law school in a few weeks and will take the CA bar in July before starting Harvard in August).

Will you be attending in person?
I won't be, but definitely inbox me if you need any bar studying tips. The next two months will be hell but the relief you feel when you're done will be well worth it!

Accepted to MHS molecular Microbiology and Immunology @jhu...anyone going to the same program?

hello! Much to my surprise, i applied at the last possible date for NYU global mph and recently was accepted with a 40k scholarship. I am wondering if anyone has attempted to ask their programs for more scholarship funds and if they were successful in doing so. I already feel so lucky to have almost half the cost of the program covered, however it wouldn't hurt to ask for more funding.

I am applying to MPH and MSPH... Will the admissions committee ding my application if my recommenders mention MPH when I’m applying to a MSPH program?

Hello Everyone! Did anyone have a phone interview with Dartmouth for the mph program last week. If so have you been accepted or not? still waiting to hear back. I'm very anxious.