MS1 Panic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteohack10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Getting ready to start first year at DMU here in about 2 weeks and I've been reading around a couple of the older threads about ways to get a good start. Most everyone agrees that you need to study your a** off for the first couple tests and see how you do and adjust from there - my question is what materials do you older students recommend for studying outside of course materials (First Aid etc.) to add to the class stuff we have? Biochem and anatomy are first up for me, so any advice on those would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
^^
first aid is a review book. I found it largely unhelpful for anatomy and molecular.

Study your power points like mad, read brs physiology or whatever is recommended, and I also preferred grays anatomy over netters or Rohan's or theime.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BRS anatomy has a bunch of clinical correlations and practice questions that will let you test your understanding of the material. Everyone has their favorite atlas. Netter's is the prettiest to look at, but I found Thieme to be very helpful because it does a great job showing origins/insertions and has origin/insertion/innervation/action tables to reference along with some clinical stuff thrown in.
Edit: and get a copy of Rohen's for lab practical prep--can't beat looking at actual pictures.

My biochem profs actually had pretty good notes so I didn't need an outside book, but I'd start with BRS or RR biochem.

Color Atlas by Rohen, which is very helpful for anatomy practicals. I would get First Aid just to review what you have learned in class.

And beer. A lot of beer.

Anatomy was a beast for me. I used the Netter anatomy flashcards and kept the relevant ones with me at all times. The sapiens medicus videos on YouTube were a good resource as well. the Michigan Anatomy website also has cadaver based photo quizzes that were also helpful. By the end, I was also using Rohen's and a Thieme atlas to supplement the dissector. The Gray's review book was essential.

Biochem was augmented with BRS, Lippincott's review, and a bunch of Wikipedia. I think I made flashcards for everything in there!

BRS was a waste for me in anatomy because the question style was different. I'd definitely stick to the power points. You won't have much time for outside resources anyway.

Dmu grad here as well. I only used power points the first two years and did well. One thing I would've done differently first year is read up on the anatomy lab packet and corresponding course material prior to lab or it became a waste of a couple hours in the afternoon twice per week. I never stayed on top of anatomy pertinent to the lab and never even read the lab manual prior either and just stood there giving minimal effort every afternoon and learned absolutely nothing. I ended up living in the anatomy lab for a couple days prior to each practical learning what everything looked like when I could've done that during scheduled lab sessions. The book of dissection pictures wasn't helpful as those were professionally done and your classmates dissection of the specific nerve will look nothing like the picture .

If you actually learn your physiology and understand it rather than memorizing it, you will set yourself up to murder your boards and clinical years.

Wow, seriously, thanks for all the advice guys. It is much appreciated. I'm going to look into getting some of the BRS materials since the consensus seems to be to check those out. I've always been a powerpoint guy for studying so I'll definitely be using those most of the time. Again, thanks for all the great advice guys!

I am a 4th year at DMU now. Specifically for biochem, you will get a binders worth of study guides and the slides which will have everything that you need to know. For anatomy, the professors use netters for their slides but I recommend the dead book as you can see the real anatomy. But you can do well with just the slides for the first 2 years. Also, make sure you get the anatomy lab guide as it is tested on a bit.

But each person will give you a "use BRS" or "deja review worked for me" but I recommend going to Matthews bookstore and talking to the ladies there. I would go in and ask for recommendations for supplements for a specific class and they would tell me which book most students felt were the most beneficial. Some of the BRS books aren't that great. For example, RR path is much better than BRS.

But don't buy too much too early. During orientation, you will get a big sib, a second year to help give you tips and answer questions you may have. Some big sibs give their little sibs things. I gave mine my anatomy lab book and dissection kit. Also joining clubs gets you free books sometimes. SOMA comes with a free copy of netters i think, or some anatomy flashcards. Something like that.

Reactions: 3 users
Just know everything. Once you can get to the point where you can draw/recite everything from memory, you're ready. (Srs)

Members don't see this ad :)
No one has mentioned Lippincott's Biochem Review -- it's a great breakdown of the essential elements of information at just the level of depth that you need -- and don't forget the large block of butcher paper and drawing out the pathways and how they interconnect along with rate limiting steps and important cofactors and resultant disease states for any deficiency (hint, hint) -- good luck --

No one has mentioned Lippincott's Biochem Review -- it's a great breakdown of the essential elements of information at just the level of depth that you need -- and don't forget the large block of butcher paper and drawing out the pathways and how they interconnect along with rate limiting steps and important cofactors and resultant disease states for any deficiency (hint, hint) -- good luck --
Oh my.....this is going to be fun.......

Oh my.....this is going to be fun.......

Noticed you are at TCOM (or will be) --- just an FYI, if the first course is the same -- and it likely is -- watch the hell out for the 2nd exam in biochem --that's the pig with the pathways -- may have changed up the order but that one separates the men from the boys -- don't panic/freak out -- it can't kill you and eat you so it's all good but don't screw off on that one --- Used to be (and I got out in the 2008-2010 timeframe) 3 exams with one being genetics, one being pathways and one being cell biology -- If Agarwal is still there, he's a great guy, gives detailed notes and his notes are golden for what you need for the exam -- the questions are tough but fair and well written on that exam -- he's not the guy with the pathways exam -- used to be the cell biology guy, IIRC.

One thing about TCOM -- at least when I was there -- the students were a bunch of neurotic little twits -- they liked to panic about stuff and make it harder than it had to be -- any deviation from what they were used to in college and they went bat**** -- the sooner you realize that class is a waste of time and gain the confidence to study on your own, the better off you are --

Realize a few things:

1) You are an adult, act like one -- take responsibility for your own education and be self motivated.
2) Don't be neurotic about your studying -- you will see this material hundreds of times -- MS1/MS2 really go into detail that's nice to know but really not clinically relevant -- gives the Ph.D's something to do to support their time in lab which is where they enjoy being. Had the PhD course director for neuro called out by a practicing neurologist for writing a question that was not clinically relevant -- neurologist accused them of writing a question to test our ability to remember useless minutiae -- it was great
3) However, study in depth and make good use of your time -- do not fall into the practice of taking notes over stuff you already know and are comfortable with because it makes you feel good --- study hard over the stuff you don't know and review the things you already know from undergrad.
4) Get a good test bank now -- I like Comquest for osteo stuff and UWorld for general medical knowledge -- Kaplan used to have a physiology test bank for MS1/MS2 that was $90 for 3 months -- if they still have it, get it and use it.
5) Get a study partner or if you are used to it, study group -- plan regular study times/places -- especially meet before the exam and go through each powerpoint slide and try to see what questions could come off the slide -- usually it's 3 questions over each hour of lecture so if you've got 3 hours of carbohydrate metabolism, that's 9 questions -- on a 100 question exam, it's almost 10 percent which is a letter grade -- study the hell out of that one. wash, rinse, repeat
6) OMM -- learn to think in 3 dimensional space and picture what's happening to the anatomy with each motion you're doing -- and realize that OMM types know they're on the fringe and (used to at least) feel that they have to write their questions sufficiently obtuse enough to confuse the heck out of people thinking that makes the test more rigorous from a knowledge standpoint -- the OMM department may have improved with the addition of Dan Clearfield and Dave Mason who are both excellent people -- Dan was a student when I was there and knows WTF he's talking about-- pay attention when he lectures.
7) Relax, you got this -- you wouldn't be there if you couldn't handle it -- everyone feels like they shouldn't be there, are not smart enough, etc. DO NOT psych yourself out -- just be an adult, study well, maintain your physical fitness regimen and good eating/sleeping habits and you'll enjoy your time there....

Good luck ---

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey OP so how'd the first couple months end up going? Any advice?

Hey OP so how'd the first couple months end up going? Any advice?
Its been going really well. Finished up 2 classes with solid grades so far and doing decent in the others. Hopefully it keeps going but we start med cell/histo next week soooooo.....

Reactions: 2 users
Invest the $10 for a year subscription to Histo Time and you will get 100 on every his to quiz/practical. (I have no financial or invested interest in Histo Time :)

Why? Histology is very low yield.

Why? Histology is very low yield.
I'm still in that stage where I get super freaked out about every course until after the first exam when I figure out how to study for them. Thats most of the worry at this point

Hey all,

Getting ready to start first year at DMU here in about 2 weeks and I've been reading around a couple of the older threads about ways to get a good start. Most everyone agrees that you need to study your a** off for the first couple tests and see how you do and adjust from there - my question is what materials do you older students recommend for studying outside of course materials (First Aid etc.) to add to the class stuff we have? Biochem and anatomy are first up for me, so any advice on those would be great.

If you want to pass, expect to study 4 to 6 hours a day, this is assuming you go to lecture and pay attention, if you do not go to class you will need to make up for it by studying even more. You will even have to study on Friday nights. I would focus on passing the first semester rather than trying to study for boards, use your summer break for getting started on that.

Get a copy of Savarese OMM, its the best review book to pass your OMM theory exams.

If you want to pass, expect to study 4 to 6 hours a day, this is assuming you go to lecture and pay attention, if you do not go to class you will need to make up for it by studying even more. You will even have to study on Friday nights. I would focus on passing the first semester rather than trying to study for boards, use your summer break for getting started on that.

Get a copy of Savarese OMM, its the best review book to pass your OMM theory exams.

No offense, but this assumes going to lecture works for you.

One of the objectives of medical school is to develop the individual skillsets to absorb large amounts of amorphous material asynchronously since you will be doing this for the rest of your professional life as a physician. What works best for one student may not work for another.

Coming out of college you are used to lectures and med school lectures in the first year spoon feed you the material and you have the lecturer to guide you on what's important if you can't figure it out.

By the time you're a resident, you need to be able to know how you learn best and be able to apply it....

I had one classmate in the top 10% who would just start doing UWORLD questions and read the answer explanations and halfway pay attention in lecture, had another who read the Merck Manual, had others who read outlines, etc.

Figure out what works best for you...

No offense, but this assumes going to lecture works for you.

One of the objectives of medical school is to develop the individual skillsets to absorb large amounts of amorphous material asynchronously since you will be doing this for the rest of your professional life as a physician. What works best for one student may not work for another.

Coming out of college you are used to lectures and med school lectures in the first year spoon feed you the material and you have the lecturer to guide you on what's important if you can't figure it out.

By the time you're a resident, you need to be able to know how you learn best and be able to apply it....

I had one classmate in the top 10% who would just start doing UWORLD questions and read the answer explanations and halfway pay attention in lecture, had another who read the Merck Manual, had others who read outlines, etc.

Figure out what works best for you...

I actually did not go to lecture during my basic science years, just went to my required labs and studied on my own. If you do that, you actually wind up spending more time studying. I knew some classmates who went to lecture, paid perfect attention, and then went home and studied for a couple of hours and did well.

Everyone is different, the problem with the medical school is not the difficulty of the curriculum, its the volume, you need to spend a considerable amount of time to learning the material or you will not survive.

I actually did not go to lecture during my basic science years, just went to my required labs and studied on my own. If you do that, you actually wind up spending more time studying. I knew some classmates who went to lecture, paid perfect attention, and then went home and studied for a couple of hours and did well.

Everyone is different, the problem with the medical school is not the difficulty of the curriculum, its the volume, you need to spend a considerable amount of time to learning the material or you will not survive.

Could not agree more -- I was one of those anal retentive types that went to class, tried to do all the assigned reading, tried to take notes on the reading, tried to review the power points and do all of it every day --- I was up at 6, in class by 730 out at 5 home studying by 6 to bed by midnight/1 and at it again the next day-- Saturdays started at 9, went to 9, sundays (depending on what was going on with the family) were either 9 to 9 or 1 to 11 --- it sucked -- but then again, I did not have the benefit of coming straight out of college with a good pre-med background -- it was like I was studying the last 2 years of pre-med along with medical school -- again, it sucked --- but it sucked for everyone -- I think half of the class was on beta blockers as an anti-anxiety agent -- if I would have paid attention/understood what an upperclassman told me about using FA, it would have been a lot less stressful -- I didn't get it until 3rd year -- by following his advice, I smoked a test the Ob department gave the med students the first day to establish a baseline -- my classmates were scoring in the 50s and I was one of 3 who passed with a 78 (highest was an 82) --- but like the song says,"Too much, too little, too late"....

Could not agree more -- I was one of those anal retentive types that went to class, tried to do all the assigned reading, tried to take notes on the reading, tried to review the power points and do all of it every day --- I was up at 6, in class by 730 out at 5 home studying by 6 to bed by midnight/1 and at it again the next day-- Saturdays started at 9, went to 9, sundays (depending on what was going on with the family) were either 9 to 9 or 1 to 11 --- it sucked -- but then again, I did not have the benefit of coming straight out of college with a good pre-med background -- it was like I was studying the last 2 years of pre-med along with medical school -- again, it sucked --- but it sucked for everyone -- I think half of the class was on beta blockers as an anti-anxiety agent -- if I would have paid attention/understood what an upperclassman told me about using FA, it would have been a lot less stressful -- I didn't get it until 3rd year -- by following his advice, I smoked a test the Ob department gave the med students the first day to establish a baseline -- my classmates were scoring in the 50s and I was one of 3 who passed with a 78 (highest was an 82) --- but like the song says,"Too much, too little, too late"....

Going to lecture for me was a huge waste of time, and from casual observation of some of my classmates they were wasting their time too, most of them were on Facebook or even writing on this board :) or doing something else other than pay attention to this lecture, plus I enjoyed the luxury of getting a couple of extra hours of sleep in the morning. I was very organized during my basic science years and studied very hard so I did extremely well.

Is FA actually that helpful? I mean I'm considering buying it, but like do I need to get the 2016 one when I'm taking boards next year?

It's perfectly fine - and cheaper - to use an older edition and download the errata for it. The problem is in finding a copy that is clean and not marked up (and not all Amazon sellers are honest). So most people end up buying a new one anyway, thus ensuring a perpetual replenishment of the authors' bank accounts.

Is FA actually that helpful? I mean I'm considering buying it, but like do I need to get the 2016 one when I'm taking boards next year?

I'll just pass along what I was told -- and when I applied it, it worked like a champ --- Most of the problem with medical school is as was stated previously -- volume of information -- and if you don't have a background clinically, you may not know what's important -- now, some can figure it out, others are so anal retentive that they want to do/learn everything -- great idea but medical school would be 12 years long and by then the info would be outdated ---

but I digress: As I was told by a very successful 3rd year at the time (and I wished I had understood what he was saying then) was this:

1) Get the latest copy (or one year prior) of FA. go down to your local Kinko's printing and have them take off the cover and 3 hold punch the thing --
2) slip your new best friend into a 3 ring binder (may want to get 2 just in case);
3) Now, before each class block starts, grab the associated section of FA and memorize it. Period. Until you can reproduce it cold on a blank sheet of paper -- for me, that translates into one reading of all pages, one reading for detail of all pages, one reading subsection by subsection for understanding followed by one more general reading --
4) now, when you're in class and you've got it with you, feel free to add notes -- use notebook paper if you run out of room -- so that you understand the particular topic and it's minutiae -- do it legibly since you'll be using it later. You can also add sections of Robbins/Cecils which can be easily copied/downloaded PRN
5) use this new study buddy you've created to study for your exams -- since you've already memorized it before beginning any of the assigned reading, you'll key in on what's important automatically since "hey, that was in FA" --
6) Get a question bank and do it for each class block -- repeat it frequently along with your OCD like reading of your FA section as annotated.

And when it comes time to study for boards -- go back to your qBank and your by now well fleshed out study buddy and spend 6 weeks going through that thing in detail -- repeatedly and using the Qbank, repeatedly ---

The key comes from guided repetition and thinking," how could I ask this as a question and what would the distractor answers be?" -- if you've got a colleague who is serious about studying and NOT about turning study time into a BS session, play the "how are they going to ask about this" game with them --- My study buddy and I increased our exam scores by a letter grade doing that -- alas we learned this late in 2nd year.

have fun --- and yes, the hard work is worth it -- there is no feeling like knowing WTF you're doing and integrating all that reading into a live human case ----

Hey all,

I do not know how things are done at your school, but most of the exam questions at my school came from the lecture notes, I spent 80 percent of my study time studying my professor notes during my first two years of school. The remainder was going through review books and text books.

I do not know how things are done at your school, but most of the exam questions at my school came from the lecture notes, I spent 80 percent of my study time studying my professor notes during my first two years of school. The remainder was going through review books and text books.
Somewhat the same, but I do spend quite a bit of time going through review books I find in the library just so I can get some extra practice questions. It's worked out well so far but I have been adjusting my studying quite often to try and find more efficient ways.

What works for me is to stick with the schedule and try to keep up with the material load pace, preview lectures the day before and then go to them, review the whole weeks worth of material on the weekends and then finally during the 1-2 days before the exam go through a couple hundred practice questions. I am able to get through each powerpoint 4-5 time before the exam. Hardly take any notes and never read the textbooks.

I always have time to chill in the late evenings during the week, and every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

I don't get why med school put so much emphasis on that class... The highest failure rate in MS1 was in Histo/Cell Biology...

Same at my school. Though I can imagine MSK being a close second.

What works for me is to stick with the schedule and try to keep up with the material load pace, preview lectures the day before and then go to them, review the whole weeks worth of material on the weekends and then finally during the 1-2 days before the exam go through a couple hundred practice questions. I am able to get through each powerpoint 4-5 time before the exam. Hardly take any notes and never read the textbooks.

I always have time to chill in the late evenings during the week, and every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

Never had the luxury to chill on weekends because I had exams on Mondays, I had the chance to chill out a bit on Mondays after exams.

I'll just pass along what I was told -- and when I applied it, it worked like a champ --- Most of the problem with medical school is as was stated previously -- volume of information -- and if you don't have a background clinically, you may not know what's important -- now, some can figure it out, others are so anal retentive that they want to do/learn everything -- great idea but medical school would be 12 years long and by then the info would be outdated ---

but I digress: As I was told by a very successful 3rd year at the time (and I wished I had understood what he was saying then) was this:

1) Get the latest copy (or one year prior) of FA. go down to your local Kinko's printing and have them take off the cover and 3 hold punch the thing --
2) slip your new best friend into a 3 ring binder (may want to get 2 just in case);
3) Now, before each class block starts, grab the associated section of FA and memorize it. Period. Until you can reproduce it cold on a blank sheet of paper -- for me, that translates into one reading of all pages, one reading for detail of all pages, one reading subsection by subsection for understanding followed by one more general reading --
4) now, when you're in class and you've got it with you, feel free to add notes -- use notebook paper if you run out of room -- so that you understand the particular topic and it's minutiae -- do it legibly since you'll be using it later. You can also add sections of Robbins/Cecils which can be easily copied/downloaded PRN
5) use this new study buddy you've created to study for your exams -- since you've already memorized it before beginning any of the assigned reading, you'll key in on what's important automatically since "hey, that was in FA" --
6) Get a question bank and do it for each class block -- repeat it frequently along with your OCD like reading of your FA section as annotated.

And when it comes time to study for boards -- go back to your qBank and your by now well fleshed out study buddy and spend 6 weeks going through that thing in detail -- repeatedly and using the Qbank, repeatedly ---

The key comes from guided repetition and thinking," how could I ask this as a question and what would the distractor answers be?" -- if you've got a colleague who is serious about studying and NOT about turning study time into a BS session, play the "how are they going to ask about this" game with them --- My study buddy and I increased our exam scores by a letter grade doing that -- alas we learned this late in 2nd year.

have fun --- and yes, the hard work is worth it -- there is no feeling like knowing WTF you're doing and integrating all that reading into a live human case ----

That sounds EXCELLENT. So pretty much do your board studying as soon as you start med school?

That sounds EXCELLENT. So pretty much do your board studying as soon as you start med school?

Best way to do well on boards is to do well in your classes -- problem is most incoming MS1's have no clue as to where to focus their studies -- FA provides the basis of "here's what you need to know cold" which should get you passing the class -- the rest of the stuff is necessary for your fund of knowledge for clinic rotations -- the problem is that retention 2 years later can be an issue -- hence the clinical resource that YOU'VE made -- making it adds to retentions and familiarity helps -- it's tailored to the way you think, the stuff you had problems with, etc.

One of my professors in OMM gave me the best hint at how to succeed during my first two years of medical school, he said study your notes, he told me that young folks are so lucky to get everything on Powerpoint slides, he was right, in his day he had to write in his own notes, had to read and memorize whole textbooks. At most schools most professors usually give pretty detailed notes, and if something is not clear you look at your textbooks or go to your professor.

how do you guys have the time to read like 2-3 different sources for information to figure out which you like best? I cant understand this.

You don't read, you skim. Then, you read what you're looking for, e.g. more details or a better explanation.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't read, you skim. Then, you read what you're looking for, e.g. more details or a better explanation.
do people generally buy these books? borrow them? rent them?

Best way to do well on boards is to do well in your classes -- problem is most incoming MS1's have no clue as to where to focus their studies -- FA provides the basis of "here's what you need to know cold" which should get you passing the class -- the rest of the stuff is necessary for your fund of knowledge for clinic rotations -- the problem is that retention 2 years later can be an issue -- hence the clinical resource that YOU'VE made -- making it adds to retentions and familiarity helps -- it's tailored to the way you think, the stuff you had problems with, etc.
Emailed myself the advice you gave just now. I'm not starting med school until next year but I think this is really solid and makes sense! I appreciate it so much and any extra advice you have!

Emailed myself the advice you gave just now. I'm not starting med school until next year but I think this is really solid and makes sense! I appreciate it so much and any extra advice you have!

Get out now before you're $200K in debt, locked into medicine as a lifestyle -- Be a golf pro -- more cash, fresh air, endorsements, hot chicks, and you're on TV -- or be a cop, you get to pistol whip miscreants and vent your frustrations -- or a paramedic, you can be an adrenaline junkie, ride the box and look really cool in the pseudo-tactical gear, ice blue sunglasses and all kinds of neat stuff hanging off the tac belt (especially if you cross train as a cop, then you can be the SWAT medic and if things get bad, toss a flash-bang) --- (couldn't resist)

Get out now before you're $200K in debt, locked into medicine as a lifestyle -- Be a golf pro -- more cash, fresh air, endorsements, hot chicks, and you're on TV -- or be a cop, you get to pistol whip miscreants and vent your frustrations -- or a paramedic, you can be an adrenaline junkie, ride the box and look really cool in the pseudo-tactical gear, ice blue sunglasses and all kinds of neat stuff hanging off the tac belt (especially if you cross train as a cop, then you can be the SWAT medic and if things get bad, toss a flash-bang) --- (couldn't resist)
Lol, I was thinking tennis pro!

Whatever you do, don't marry a Kardashian.