MS3 told me I had a 1% chance of getting accepted..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duptkit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Today I was having breakfast with a friend of mine who is currently an MS1 at my dream medical school (U of Florida) his friend tagged along and bluntly told me I have a 1% chance of getting accepted (his words) after hearing my situation. I'm startled and honestly having doubts about it all now.

My situation: Graduated HS in 2012 went straight to community college in which I absolutely failed all my courses due to terrible family issues having to do with my mother being in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend and once my baby sister was involved I had to put it all on hold and tend to that. I had to work a full time job on top of working night shifts at a gas station to support the household since the ex-bf was the breadwinner. Thankfully today everything is taken care of and we're all in a much better place. Recently I took 5 summer courses and received A's in all classes. General psychology, college comp 1, art appreciation, college algebra and a history course.

Theses are my unofficial transcripts showing how much I ****ed up in the beginning of CC, this is where most of my doubts come from.

Rh039u9.png

This was my first year of CC

My plan: Get my AA from CC, transfer to UF where I'll get my BS in Psych/ take the necessary courses and apply (along with having solid EC's..etc) Background info: First person in family to graduate high school, Hispanic male and 20 years of age

I have pretty thick skin but after being told that from a person who I consider very very smart...I just can't help but nail bite and begin to ponder if this is all for nothing.

Thank you all for reading. Once I receive some feedback I'll probably delete this thread because I'm sure there are hundreds of these kind of posts.

Members don't see this ad.

SF8MzIP.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Keeping it extremely short, do everything right from now on and you'll be able to make it into med school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got two semesters of straight Fs (0.0 GPA) in my third year of college back in 01-02.

Went back to school part time in '11 and got pretty much straight As while finishing a BS in biology and graduate certificate in public health.

Matriculating at an MD program in 3 weeks.

Accumulate clinical/volunteering/shadowing experience, get straight As, rock the MCAT, and you have a good shot. Probably not at UF but maybe somewhere.

Reactions: 8 users
Seriously though OP, you have a steep climb ahead of you. I would research DO grade replacement. Make sure you kill any college classes you take from here on out. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone for the comments. I realize I basically can't mess up from here on end.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to know your actual chances of getting accepted to an MD school, look at the AAMC GPA/MCAT chart. That's a more reliable source than some rando MS3.

Hopefully you become a doctor someday just so you can tell people "I failed Art Appreciation."

Reactions: 1 user
Luckily, your course load was light those semesters, so if you take a lot of courses from here on out while maintaining A's, you should be able to do significant GPA repair. Your story makes sense and I'm sure you will find sympathetic people out there on admissions committees.

I think, if its what you really want, you've got to go for it even if the odds are somewhat against you. It's certainly not impossible. You should already be very proud of 5 A's in one summer, that certainly bodes well for your abilities and focus. Good luck!

Do well from now on and you'll be fine.
Don't listen to anybody unless they're actually part of the admissions process.

Hello everyone

Today I was having breakfast with a friend of mine who is currently an MS1 at my dream medical school (U of Florida) his friend tagged along and bluntly told me I have a 1% chance of getting accepted (his words) after hearing my situation. I'm startled and honestly having doubts about it all now.

My situation: Graduated HS in 2012 went straight to community college in which I absolutely failed all my courses due to terrible family issues having to do with my mother being in an abusive relationship with her boyfriend and once my baby sister was involved I had to put it all on hold and tend to that. I had to work a full time job on top of working night shifts at a gas station to support the household since the ex-bf was the breadwinner. Thankfully today everything is taken care of and we're all in a much better place. Recently I took 5 summer courses and received A's in all classes. General psychology, college comp 1, art appreciation, college algebra and a history course.

Theses are my unofficial transcripts showing how much I ****** up in the beginning of CC, this is where most of my doubts come from.

Rh039u9.png

This was my first year of CC

My plan: Get my AA from CC, transfer to UF where I'll get my BS in Psych/ take the necessary courses and apply (along with having solid EC's..etc) Background info: First person in family to graduate high school, Hispanic male and 20 years of age

I have pretty thick skin but after being told that from a person who I consider very very smart...I just can't help but nail bite and begin to ponder if this is all for nothing.

Thank you all for reading. Once I receive some feedback I'll probably delete this thread because I'm sure there are hundreds of these kind of posts.

Reactions: 6 users
I may be wrong here, but I think retaking the courses will eliminate all the F's on your transcript?

I may be wrong here, but I think retaking the courses will eliminate all the F's on your transcript?
That works for DO grade replacement, not MD

Retaking classes eliminates nothing from your transcript. The Fs and Ws will still appear on the transcript, and you must still enter them into AMCAS and AACOMAS.

The only thing a retake does is that, for AACOMAS, only the newest grade for a course counts towards your GPA. That's "grade replacement." Retake an F and get an A, the F does not impact your calculated AACOMAS GPA.

You're good.

But actually that will help a lot, as long as you keep up your trend of good grades, get many experiences, can explain your story in a compelling way, and apply to MD and DO - you will definitely have a shot.

He wasn't that far off. UF accepts under 5% of applicants. Med School is ridiculously competitive.

He wasn't that far off. UF accepts under 5% of applicants. Med School is ridiculously competitive.
Sure if you applied to only one school and you ignored everything specific about their application including gpa/mcat/EC's/ethnicity/etc.

Thanks for the info on the Grade Replacement policy. I haven't really researched it.