MSP3 USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fr3nc13

Reaction score
I am going to take a Gap year and I am considering doing the MSP3 at USF, I am from Tampa, and Ideally would like to attend med school at USF. I have a 3.37 cgpa and a 3.0 sgpa. I think my ec are good but I plan on continuing to work on them next year and during my gap year. Based on what I have read online MSP3 is make or break for med school admissions so i know that I would have to buckle down and try my hardest to get a 4.0 during it. I haven't taken my MCAT yet and will be in July. Is this a program that would be good for improving my chances of attending medical school especially at USF?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I also got accepted into the MSP3 program at USF. I have heard that some students received acceptances into Morsani via master programs done at USF, I'm not sure if its the MSP3 or the IMS one. but where did you hear that the MSP3 is a make or break for med school admissions? and which med school admissions are you talking about?

I am going to take a Gap year and I am considering doing the MSP3 at USF, I am from Tampa, and Ideally would like to attend med school at USF. I have a 3.37 cgpa and a 3.0 sgpa. I think my ec are good but I plan on continuing to work on them next year and during my gap year. Based on what I have read online MSP3 is make or break for med school admissions so i know that I would have to buckle down and try my hardest to get a 4.0 during it. I haven't taken my MCAT yet and will be in July. Is this a program that would be good for improving my chances of attending medical school especially at USF?

Hi I also got accepted into the MSP3 program at USF. I have heard that some students received acceptances into Morsani via master programs done at USF, I'm not sure if its the MSP3 or the IMS one. but where did you hear that the MSP3 is a make or break for med school admissions? and which med school admissions are you talking about?
Hi! I just applied to this program. I'm wondering if you would tell me your stats that you got accepted with and about how long it took for you to hear back?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stumbled upon this and maybe I can help. I'm a first year med student at MCOM and did the MSP3 program prior. The IMS program is similar to MSP3 but they take classes with the med students. IMS is a much smaller program (~9 people). MSP3 can be around 200 students. To my knowledge, none of the programs provide direct entry into the medical class. Both programs could provide somewhat of an advantage to USF MD provided that you do very well in the program and do well on the MCAT. Special masters programs (SMPs) like MSP3 or IMS are make or break in the sense that they are to improve your academic record and it's where you show that you can succeed in medical school. If you do very well in an SMP, you show medical schools that you are capable and ready to handle the curriculum in medical school. If you do not do well in an SMP, you hurt your chances in medical school admissions. Personally, I liked the MSP3 program a tremendous amount. It prepared me to succeed at USF med where I'm scoring well on exams because the MSP3 program taught me how to study more effectively and also taught some of the same material I'm now relearning in medical school. The IMS program can be more difficult I would say since you are directly dealing with the first year medical content; however, I don't think one is better than the other. The IMS program is more geared towards students that are underrepresented in medicine or are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Also, the MSP3 program is organized by class (histology, neuro, etc.) and the IMS is organ system based (Musculoskeletal, Cardio/Pulm, etc.) Students from MSP3 who do very well in the program (>3.9) and score highly on the MCAT (~512+) do attend MD schools. Those who don't score quite as highly in the masters program or on the MCAT tend to go to DO schools. Receiving a solid/high score on the MCAT is important and a high GPA in the masters program will not compensate for a subpar MCAT score. From the MSP3, program there is usually at least 1 student a year that ends up in the MD class at USF afterwards. It's dependent more-so on if you are able to apply early enough to the medical school (being a strong applicant and submitting your AMCAS application in a timely manner and your secondary in early July). If you have a strong application otherwise, you will still have a great shot at MD schools aside from USF. But USF MD does value early applications. As far as USF goes, it's a great medical school and I love it so far. The faculty are great and the students are friendly and super chill. Tampa's a fun city too and the new building is nice. TLDR: MSP3 is great for strengthening your application to medical school but be prepared to work very hard for that year and the rest well come! Happy to answer any questions

Stumbled upon this and maybe I can help. I'm a first year med student at MCOM and did the MSP3 program prior. The IMS program is similar to MSP3 but they take classes with the med students. IMS is a much smaller program (~9 people). MSP3 can be around 200 students. To my knowledge, none of the programs provide direct entry into the medical class. Both programs could provide somewhat of an advantage to USF MD provided that you do very well in the program and do well on the MCAT. Special masters programs (SMPs) like MSP3 or IMS are make or break in the sense that they are to improve your academic record and it's where you show that you can succeed in medical school. If you do very well in an SMP, you show medical schools that you are capable and ready to handle the curriculum in medical school. If you do not do well in an SMP, you hurt your chances in medical school admissions. Personally, I liked the MSP3 program a tremendous amount. It prepared me to succeed at USF med where I'm scoring well on exams because the MSP3 program taught me how to study more effectively and also taught some of the same material I'm now relearning in medical school. The IMS program can be more difficult I would say since you are directly dealing with the first year medical content; however, I don't think one is better than the other. The IMS program is more geared towards students that are underrepresented in medicine or are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Also, the MSP3 program is organized by class (histology, neuro, etc.) and the IMS is organ system based (Musculoskeletal, Cardio/Pulm, etc.) Students from MSP3 who do very well in the program (>3.9) and score highly on the MCAT (~512+) do attend MD schools. Those who don't score quite as highly in the masters program or on the MCAT tend to go to DO schools. Receiving a solid/high score on the MCAT is important and a high GPA in the masters program will not compensate for a subpar MCAT score. From the MSP3, program there is usually at least 1 student a year that ends up in the MD class at USF afterwards. It's dependent more-so on if you are able to apply early enough to the medical school (being a strong applicant and submitting your AMCAS application in a timely manner and your secondary in early July). If you have a strong application otherwise, you will still have a great shot at MD schools aside from USF. But USF MD does value early applications. As far as USF goes, it's a great medical school and I love it so far. The faculty are great and the students are friendly and super chill. Tampa's a fun city too and the new building is nice. TLDR: MSP3 is great for strengthening your application to medical school but be prepared to work very hard for that year and the rest well come! Happy to answer any questions

Were you able to gain admission to the MD school the next year after the program? Or did you have to take another gap year to apply?

Were you able to gain admission to the MD school the next year after the program? Or did you have to take another gap year to apply?
I took a gap year after the MSP3 program. If you apply to medical school just before/when MSP3 starts, yes you could avoid the gap year but then you are applying without the grades you would get from the masters program, which kind of defeats the purpose. Some people do it, but it's not very common and suggests they didn't need to do the program in the first place. Applying in June towards the end of the masters program is typically a better idea. MSP3 runs august to august so you wouldn't be submitting your summer grades from the final 2-3 courses but those last few courses wouldn't be something that would force you to delay when you apply (in June vs. August). Some people apply in August or September because they take the MCAT after the program; however, taking the MCAT in the late spring of the program if you can manage it is ideal.

Reactions: 1 user