mspp vs. csopp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juliana_yoohoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...

i decided to go the psyd prof school route... i've eliminated other schools and have come down to massachusetts school of prof psych and chicago school of prof psych...

they both seem comparable and i'm having a hard time deciding... any thoughts on those schools? good or bad! i can handle it! :)

thanks guys! i hope everyone finds a good fit for next year!

Members don't see this ad.

juliana_yoohoo said:
hey guys...

i decided to go the psyd prof school route... i've eliminated other schools and have come down to massachusetts school of prof psych and chicago school of prof psych...

they both seem comparable and i'm having a hard time deciding... any thoughts on those schools? good or bad! i can handle it! :)

thanks guys! i hope everyone finds a good fit for next year!

I like both schools. But it seems like MSPP accepts a variety of students. When I was at the interview, there were people of different ages and from different occupational/educational backgrounds. Whereas at Chicago, most applicants there are about the same age as me (early 20's).

I personally had a better feel with Chicago than MSPP and I don't really know why. Perhaps that's because MSPP is literally in the middle of nowhere and it really barely lies in the Boston area. It's a pain to go to class unless you drive. Public transportation takes a long time. Also, doesn't it occur to you that the school building looks more like a shack than anything? I was a bit shocked when I first got there. But then the people, faculty and admin. staff are very very nice.

Chicago seems to have a better presentation than MSPP but then the students and faculty did not impress me as much as MSPP. I really like their different tracks you can choose from.

I think both schools are really good and in terms of internship, priacticum opportunities, they are comparable because they are in Boston and Chicago, not to mention they are in the coldest places in this country. If I really have to choose, I will probably go to Chicago. But their tuition is...ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
:)

thank u, guys!!!

leftbrain... i KNOW what u mean about the look of mspp... :scared: i was like huh... this is a school?!?! and nothing was around it!!! transportation is definitely an issue too... but i loved the environment, faculty and students there, and the fact that u get to do a practicum every year...

pengy, i think u are deciding between pgsp and csopp i guess? well i hope u make the best decision! i definitely liked the location of the school, concentration tracks, and the program itself...

oh boy... greaaaaaat.. i'll really have to think hard about it... although i saw a study that said it's better to go w/ ur gut reaction for a difficult decision! :cool:

I did not apply to MSPP after attending their open house. First of all, yes the building looks like a tech high school of some sort. But once I got inside, I liked the school. The faculty and students are more like friends than professor-students. I really liked the 'everyone knows everyone' feel it had.

My problem is a lost a good part of my eyesight 3 years ago and that area is just terrible if you dont have the means to drive.

I think what I liked MOST about MSPP was the Dean sought me out after it was over (and I'd asked questions during the info session about disability). Out of ANY school I applied, I had the most respect for this guy when he told me NOT to apply. He saved a lot of stress had I gone to the school and realized I'd have classes in the AM, practicum in Boston 30 mins away with NO transportation in the afternoons. It would've been a disaster. I appreciated his honesty. Most schools will tell disabled applicants "Oh we'll roll out the red carpet if you get accepted" and once the student arrives, the services are poor.

Also, he was telling me they may be moving the school to a new location, and it could be a little further outside of Boston than it already is....Not sure if that matters to you but just some info to pass along.

Jon

i also interviewd at both places and i have to agree that mspp seemed more friendly altho the building looks like an elementary school. cspp seemed a bit more cold but had great interior decorating :cool: im choosin mspp on this one.

I have been accepted to CSoPP as well and I am considering it as one of my top two choices (the other being Nova Southeastern). Also, I went to undergrad in Boston so I know the area reasonably well and can also comment on the campus.

I did not apply to MSPP mostly because I wanted to move away from Boston. It is a great city but personally I just wanted to move somewhere new. The campus, if you can call it that, is not impressive. I remember thinking it looked like the back entrance to a grocery store, though I did not go inside.

I recently read the book "Blink", and though I don't want to start quoting pop psychology books, I think the section on packaging of products might be relevant. That is, the "packaging" of MSPP might lead us to think less of it despite the content, and that effect is something you have to be aware of (as much as is possible, anyway). Because of that, your "gut reaction" might not be reliable, since it can be easily manipulated by aesthetics--which ultimately has very little to do with your life as a graduate student or psychologist. I don't know much about the program itself but I have not heard anything negative about it, for whatever that is worth. However, I definitely agree that a car seems to be the best way to get there despite its "Boston" location. A car in Boston can be a hassle (or at least expensive) if you plan on living downtown.

I found the CSoPP to be very well organized. I felt like they would "take care of" students and monitor their progress in a personal way whereas other programs might be less attentive to individual students. Also, there are multiple concentrations and tracks which I think is important, and Chicago seems like a great city for practicum, internship, and life itself.

That said, I am leaning towards Nova over the CSoPP at this point, but mostly for personal reasons. I feel that my quality of life might be a little better in southern Florida (weather, housing, beach, etc that will just make day to day life more enjoyable) and the little money I have might stretch a bit further. BUT I have not decided yet and the CSoPP is still a definite option, so I too would appreciate any more opinions.