MSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g5chand

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that no one had created an MSU-COM Class of 2014 thread yet... So here it is. Post away!

Members don't see this ad.

I've officially been placed at DMC! Who else will be headed there? And yes, I realize it's early haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured I would make a thread for the class of 2014, I have not seen one yet.

Go Green!

GO GREEN.....GO WHITE!

I'm so excited to be a part of the MSUCOM class of 2014!!

I am pretty sure I am going to choose the Macomb campus. Anyone else doing the same?

I am already confirmed at East Lansing!! You?

I went to MSU for undergrad so I was thinking DMC. I have heard only good things about it so I was going to tour it next week and make my decision then.

For the person going to Macomb, have you seen it yet and why did you decide Macomb?

I also went to MSU for undergrad. It is a great place to live, however, I do not feel like relocating again. I live near the Macomb campus and I went on a tour last week. Most of the areas they showed me were temporary situations because the building won't be complete until January. But even the temporary areas seemed nice. It was really quiet and everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. I feel like I will get a better education with the smaller class size. Plus, the brand new equipment and easy parking make it hard to pass up! Not to mention there are several hospitals in the area. :)

What about the DMC caught your attention?

I also went to MSU for undergrad. It is a great place to live, however, I do not feel like relocating again. I live near the Macomb campus and I went on a tour last week. Most of the areas they showed me were temporary situations because the building won't be complete until January. But even the temporary areas seemed nice. It was really quiet and everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. I feel like I will get a better education with the smaller class size. Plus, the brand new equipment and easy parking make it hard to pass up! Not to mention there are several hospitals in the area. :)

What about the DMC caught your attention?

Well I have yet to tour DMC but I have only heard good things. Plus I volunteer at Detroit Receiving (right next to the campus) doing clinical research in the ED so I am familiar with the area and I would still like to be involved in the research. I do love the EL though, but I think it would be the best fit for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured I would make a thread for the class of 2014, I have not seen one yet.

Go Green!

Good job!!!!!! you broke the ice on the Class of 2014 thread!!!! I am LECOM-Erie class of 2014. I have some green spartie friends so congratulations guys!!

I was just accepted to msu-com wednesday!! but im looking in DMC i have a tour next friday and then ill decide if id rather be there or lansing. but i think it would be cool to just have 50 students in a class.

maybe ill c u there:)

I was just accepted on Wednesday! all the hard work finally paid off! Now i just have to decide where to go. I am looking into DMC because its by my hometown. Im taking a tour on the 23rd.:D

I was just accepted on Wednesday! all the hard work finally paid off! Now i just have to decide where to go. I am looking into DMC because its by my hometown. Im taking a tour on the 23rd.:D

Congrats! I am also considering the DMC campus, I am taking a tour of it this thursday. I need to get a feel of the studying environment in order to decide if it is right for me.

I have a question: how to check the status of my application ??
THey told me there's missing material in my file but didn't tell me which.

I'll be at East Lansing. Anybody else military?

I just got accepted today! :D I am unsure whether I have a choice between the 3 campuses. It did not seem to indicate this in the email. Do they let you know later? I'm just curious which campus I should schedule the visitation day for. Congratulations to everyone!

I just got accepted today! :D I am unsure whether I have a choice between the 3 campuses. It did not seem to indicate this in the email. Do they let you know later? I'm just curious which campus I should schedule the visitation day for. Congratulations to everyone!

First of all, congrats!

Second of all, when you e-mail COM back your address they send you the sheet that you fill out to indicate where you would like to go. It is still fairly early so you probably will be able to get your first choice. I would suggest visiting all 3 and making sure you ask the students as many questions as you can.

Hey, I was wondering have any of you started to look for scholarships? Did you guys have any luck? Any recommendations on what sites to look at?

Does MSU provide any type of scholarship to us?

Hey, I was wondering have any of you started to look for scholarships? Did you guys have any luck? Any recommendations on what sites to look at?

Does MSU provide any type of scholarship to us?

I haven't looked for scholarships yet but I bet if you e-mailed MSUCOM I am sure they would be able to help you out.

I went on my tour of DMC and really liked it. I dropped my check off today and they have already confirmed me as one of the 50 for DMC. :thumbup:
Can you believe that this time next year we will be in medical school?

Hi all! I was just accepted to MSUCOM today! I wasn't aware that they didn't do interviews for everybody, so the the email really took me by surprise. How do you know which campus you were placed at?

I went on my tour of DMC and really liked it. I dropped my check off today and they have already confirmed me as one of the 50 for DMC. :thumbup:
Can you believe that this time next year we will be in medical school?

Ya it will be great, I have a question though. When filling out the form to summit to MSU did you guys list all activities from your secondary or just the most recent activities? Seems like they wouldn't need me to send an additional list of activities/jobs considering they already have them from my secondary.

Ya it will be great, I have a question though. When filling out the form to summit to MSU did you guys list all activities from your secondary or just the most recent activities? Seems like they wouldn't need me to send an additional list of activities/jobs considering they already have them from my secondary.

I don't even remember that part... Well they didn't send it back to me so I'm sure you don't need to write all of it...

I just left that part blank. I figured i had included everything in my secondaries and they just wanted information on things we have done since our secondaries? but we are already in so i didnt think it would matter much?

Hey, i was wondering if anyone knows how important being involved in student organizations is in medical school? do we still have to volunteer a lot and do extra curricular activities for when we apply for residency and a job? It seems logical, but will we have time for it?

GO GREEN.....GO WHITE!

I'm so excited to be a part of the MSUCOM class of 2014!!

I am pretty sure I am going to choose the Macomb campus. Anyone else doing the same?

Yeaup, I chose the Macomb site too! I did my undergrad at Wayne State, and I really need a change from the city (plus it's closer to my house) :)

Yeaup, I chose the Macomb site too! I did my undergrad at Wayne State, and I really need a change from the city (plus it's closer to my house) :)

Speaking of the city, how did you like it in Detroit?

For those of you that have been accepted - Congratulations and Welcome!!

I am a 3rd year and I am happy to answer any questions I can!

As far as scholarships, go to the COM homepage > students > financial aid and scholarships. Here you will find a list of scholarships available and the requirements for each.

Speaking of the city, how did you like it in Detroit?

I have nothing negative to say about the city, the campuses seem to be pretty much separated from the rundown areas in Detroit. There are a bunch of restaurants, apartments, etc. I never felt like I was in any danger since I stayed on WSU's campus (we have our own police force).

The DMC campus is right off Woodward, which places you a few blocks down from the DIA and the Science museum. A couple more blocks south there is Campus Martius which is a nice skating rink in the winter. On Woodward you'll also find State Theatre which hosts concerts/comedians and a baseball staduim... I think you will enjoy it there- there is always something to do.

The only drawback is the high expense of living in the city- but that is common amoungst all cities, right?

For those of you that have been accepted - Congratulations and Welcome!!

I am a 3rd year and I am happy to answer any questions I can!

As far as scholarships, go to the COM homepage > students > financial aid and scholarships. Here you will find a list of scholarships available and the requirements for each.

Thanks for offering to help us out! :) I actually have a question. I read in another thread (the "what you would do if you can redo med school" one):

I knew somebody is going to ask this. :laugh:

He told me to buy "First Aid" when I start school, and as I learn in school also study "First Aid" with it. He said it is better to study for the boards continuously, rather than start later as he did.

First Aid is for USMLE and COMLEX.

It was a useful advice for me since I did not even know what First Aid was before.

What is your opinion about that advice? It's the first I heard of First Aid. Is it purely for studying for USMLE/COMLEX? I know It's early to be thinking about things like this...:rolleyes:

Also, what have you heard/what is your opinion about the Macomb campus?

Last edited:
Thanks for offering to help us out! :) I actually have a question. I read in another thread (the "what you would do if you can redo med school" one):

What is your opinion about that advice? It's the first I heard of First Aid. Is it purely for studying for USMLE/COMLEX? I know It's early to be thinking about things like this...:rolleyes:

Also, what have you heard/what is your opinion about the Macomb campus?

Personally, I think purchasing First Aid now is too early. The content is given in a largely outline format with the expectation that you remember the details from class. A new version of First Aid is released each Dec/Jan so I would wait to purchase a copy. For now, I would focus on doing well in each of your classes. This really is the best way to prep for the COMLEX.

I don't have a lot exposure to the Macomb campus. I can tell you that the administration has worked tirelessly to make these three campuses feel like one class. They have tested the long distance technology for two years and are constantly seeking student input for improvement. Students at the Macomb and Detroit campuses have access to all of the same opportunities as the students in EL.

Hope this helps!

Personally, I think purchasing First Aid now is too early. The content is given in a largely outline format with the expectation that you remember the details from class. A new version of First Aid is released each Dec/Jan so I would wait to purchase a copy. For now, I would focus on doing well in each of your classes. This really is the best way to prep for the COMLEX.

I don't have a lot exposure to the Macomb campus. I can tell you that the administration has worked tirelessly to make these three campuses feel like one class. They have tested the long distance technology for two years and are constantly seeking student input for improvement. Students at the Macomb and Detroit campuses have access to all of the same opportunities as the students in EL.

Hope this helps!

Yes it did, thanks! :)

Hi, this is embarrassing, but I just spent 10 minutes looking up the official start date for MSUCOM on their website for the class of 2014. I can't find it.

1. I know school starts in late June, but does anybody know the specific date? Could you cite the source?

2. I printed up the scholarship sheet (all 21 pages!) but there don't seem to be any scholarships for entering students. The Osteopathic Information Booklet says that the average scholarship/grant is 4,000 per student but I am guessing that it is mainly for the OOS students, to reduce their 65,000 yearly tuition. Thanks.

Hey, I talked to an advisor and asked what day classes started and she didn't know but said really soon after the white coat ceremony (~June 24th). So I'm assuming the exact day isn't set in stone yet. As for the scholarships, I haven't heard that they were more geared for the OOS students, I don't remember reading that in the descriptions. I would ask a Financial Aid counselor. I know I have to talk to them about loans- which are confusing. :confused:

Hey Cybii.

1. I'm sorry, but how is the loan issue that confusing. (I'm not trying to be mean!) Perhaps you have questions about how they are disbursed?

The limit for the subsidized federal stafford loan is 8,500/year and it does not accrue interest until residency; it has a 6.8% interest rate.

The federal unsubsidized stafford loan has a limit of 32,500/year I believe with a 6.8% interest rate; it DOES accrue interest immediately.

The Graduate plus loan is 8.5% and accrues immediately.

Sadly, in 2005 the interest rate for the stafford was 2.82% and the interest rate for stafford loans for UNDERGRADS will decrease steadily, bottoming out at 3.4% in 2011-2012. That's not fair--we should contact lawmakers?

http://www.staffordloan.com/stafford-loan-info/interest-rates.php

Really? That is definitely not fair...

Hey Cybii.

1. I'm sorry, but how is the loan issue that confusing. (I'm not trying to be mean!) Perhaps you have questions about how they are disbursed?

The limit for the subsidized federal stafford loan is 8,500/year and it does not accrue interest until residency; it has a 6.8% interest rate.

The federal unsubsidized stafford loan has a limit of 32,500/year I believe with a 6.8% interest rate; it DOES accrue interest immediately.

The Graduate plus loan is 8.5% and accrues immediately.

Sadly, in 2005 the interest rate for the stafford was 2.82% and the interest rate for stafford loans for UNDERGRADS will decrease steadily, bottoming out at 3.4% in 2011-2012. That's not fair--we should contact lawmakers?

http://www.staffordloan.com/stafford-loan-info/interest-rates.php

Well, since this is my first time applying for a loan, I wasn't sure of all the steps. Like when I called today the advisor told me to fill out the 2009/1010 and 2010/2011 FAFSA in February, and then told me the steps from there. I also wasn't sure if I was going to have to go through my bank for the loan, but it turns out that they want students to go through the government. *shrug* The whole what to do/when/how to do it part worries me- I don't want to do it wrong and end up in any trouble.

Thanks for the additional info about the stafford loans and the interest rates... And yea, I am all for contacting lawmakers... that is unfair.