MSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, happy 2010! Does anyone know when we get our MSU NetIDs ([email protected])?

Members don't see this ad.

I looked at Club Meridian and they will let you be on a waitlist for summer move-in. Most of them have a waitlist and if you get on it early enough, there shouldn't be any issues. Berrytree and any DTN properties basically suck for a summer move-in. They want you to move twice and I thought, are you freaking kidding me??

Hey guys, I've been looking for apartments for the past month and a half and unfortunately I don't feel very confident about any of them!
I got on a waiting list as Knob Hill and have been talking to BerryTree and Club Meridian but it seems like they only will offer an August move-in!
I wanted to get into a place in May or June to get used to the area and get settled in instead of trying to find a sublease and then having to basically move all my stuff twice.
Does anyone have a place lined up with an early summer move-in? In fact, does anyone have any suggestions on places that i may have overlooked that are med student friendly (few undergrads, quiet, possible pet friendly, etc)?

I appreciate your help! Hope you're enjoying 2010!!!

Marc

For those looking at apartments- I am an undergrad at MSU right now. My fiance and I live in Castle Pointe Apartments. We love it here. Pretty well kept up, allows animals, good sized (2 bed 2 bath 1000 sq foot), nice grounds, good clubhouse/ 24 hr gym and a pool...

We pay 725 a month plus 20 for our dog. This doesn't include utilities or cable though. We moved in July of 2008. As far as I know they let you move in most any time of the year...

Anyways check it out if you are looking around. One of the only downsides is that it is about a 10 minute drive from Fee hall.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we will receive our e-mail account and all that jazz?? Just out of curiosity and getting excited.

For those looking at apartments- I am an undergrad at MSU right now. My fiance and I live in Castle Pointe Apartments. We love it here. Pretty well kept up, allows animals, good sized (2 bed 2 bath 100 sq foot), nice grounds, good clubhouse/ 24 hr gym and a pool...

I second that for Castle Pointe. I am in the Program in Public Health right now and most likely will be staying here when COM starts in the summer. A little older apartments but the staff is extremely nice and helpful. The maintenance people are very good as well.

I pay $570/month for a 1 bed room ~650 square foot apartment and it is perfect size. My utilities are around $60-$90 altogether and then whatever you want to pay for cable. I was able to negotiate down from $600 but for the price you will not get better. Expect to pay in the mid to upper 600s or (possibly even 700s) + utilities for a 1 bedroom in East Lansing. (that is if you want to live closer than 10 miles from campus!)

I am going tocheckour the Macomb campus today actually. I might be ready to leave EL.

I am going tocheckour the Macomb campus today actually. I might be ready to leave EL.

I understand that, I did my undergrad in the EL and as much as I love it there, it was time to try something new.

Anyone have feedback/impressions from the tour day? Interesting facts, questions to ask, etc?

I'm just wondering because I don't know what to expect and my tour day is next Friday, see some of you there :)

Anyone have feedback/impressions from the tour day? Interesting facts, questions to ask, etc?

I'm just wondering because I don't know what to expect and my tour day is next Friday, see some of you there :)

I will see you there.

My advice is to dress business casual and ask a ton of questions! After all you are making a huge decision on what school to attend; asking questions will help you make sure that MSU is the right school for you to spend all that time and money at. I wore a suit to my tour day b/c I wasn't sure what the dress code would be for the day. As it turned out, some people were wearing jeans and a polo shirt! Just look presentable obviously, but a suit isn't necessary. Also, get the e-mail addresses of some students that show you around. It's nice to have some contact information so that you can ask questions later.

Have fun and Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Class of 2014, and congratulations!

For any of you who are going to be in East Lansing, lots of students live in either Berrytree or the Hamptons, which are within walking distance to Fee Hall. I am a second year student and have been very happy with this location. If you decide to rent an apt here, you can give them my name as a reference, and they will discount my rent and I will give you $100! Send me a message if you are interested. Good luck!

Does anyone know when we will receive our e-mail account and all that jazz?? Just out of curiosity and getting excited.

Got the info to activate the net ids today! So you'll get your info soon too. :D

Hey guys I just got my acceptance letter from MSU-COM and wanted to say high to everybody. I look forward to working with everyone who got accepted. You are all obviously very driven and talented and I applaud you.

Hey guys I just got my acceptance letter from MSU-COM and wanted to say high to everybody. I look forward to working with everyone who got accepted. You are all obviously very driven and talented and I applaud you.

Congrats to you as well. Do you know which campus you are going to yet?

Not sure. I am still waiting for all my material to come in the mail. Which one are you going too? What kind of experience does everyone have in this incoming class? (blanket question for anyone who sees this)

Hey guys, just giving you guys a heads-up on financial aid for the summer semester just in case you haven't applied or don't know how to.
http://www.finaid.msu.edu/med/default.asp

1. Add MSU (MSU Federal Code: 002290) to your 2009-2010 FAFSA Form at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
***Make sure this is done. I believe you can't a...pply for financial aid for the summer semester through MSU's website unless they have received your 2009-2010 FAFSA first.

2. Go to the StuInfo login site and put in your id/password at https://stuinfo.msu.edu/AppLogin.Asp

3. Click on "eConsent for Financial Aid" on the main menu of your StuInfo site.

4. Read through the page and then select one of the four buttons on the bottom.

5. Click "eFinaid (Check Your Aid)" on the main menu of your StuInfo site.

6. Click "SUMMER aid application/status."

7. Apply for summer financial aid. (I forgot if there was a button for this or not)

8. SEE YOU GUYS IN JUNE!!!

if you guys need help or anything, pm me!

Not sure. I am still waiting for all my material to come in the mail. Which one are you going too? What kind of experience does everyone have in this incoming class? (blanket question for anyone who sees this)

I am going to the DMC campus. Definitely check them all out before you make a decision (if you have time)

I'm confirmed at the East Lansing site.

I went to MSU for undergrad. I enjoy East Lansing and what it has to offer. If you feel EL is too "undergrad" then Lansing can make up for what East Lansing is lacking. However you will find people who feel the exact opposite of me (tired of EL, wanting to live in Detroit/Metro). They each have their pros and cons.

If you can, try and tour all three sites before making a decision on your site preference.

I am coming from California and can someone please tell me some good general places to live in Detroit or places that I should avoid? I would really appreciate it. I was hoping to be close to the school in DMC.
Thanks
Richard

I am coming from California and can someone please tell me some good general places to live in Detroit or places that I should avoid? I would really appreciate it. I was hoping to be close to the school in DMC.
Thanks
Richard

Hey Richard,

I don't know so much in the city... I have heard that there are a few good apartments near the school. Other than that cities like Royal Oak, Berkley, Clawson, Troy, and most of Ferndale are good... but they are like 15 minutes away.

Hey Richard,

I don't know so much in the city... I have heard that there are a few good apartments near the school. Other than that cities like Royal Oak, Berkley, Clawson, Troy, and most of Ferndale are good... but they are like 15 minutes away.

Thanks a bunch that is very helpful. I am excited to move out, but I wont be able too until pretty close to our orientation date.

Just a reminder in case anyone missed the email...

Got an email today with attached excel form for white coat sizes, anatomy lab equipment, etc. Total amount due is $516. Optional equipment is extra.

The form is on the c/o 2014 website if you missed the email.

Last edited:

Got an email today with attached excel form for white coat sizes, anatomy lab equipment, etc. Total amount due is $350. Optional equipment is extra.

Ya I saw that, I was curious... do we just mail that sheet filled out with a check?

Got an email today with attached excel form for white coat sizes, anatomy lab equipment, etc. Total amount due is $350. Optional equipment is extra.

Thanks for letting us know!

It looks like to me that $350 is for student fees and you have to add everything above to that as well. The box with the $350 matches that up to the line for class fees where the total amount below is blank. I hope I am wrong. Also why does it cost $30 for two boxes of gloves and anatomy probes? Do they really cost that much?

For the additional items, do any of you know what the anatomy survival guide is all about and if we should get it. Thanks!!!!

It looks like to me that $350 is for student fees and you have to add everything above to that as well. The box with the $350 matches that up to the line for class fees where the total amount below is blank. I hope I am wrong. Also why does it cost $30 for two boxes of gloves and anatomy probes? Do they really cost that much?

For the additional items, do any of you know what the anatomy survival guide is all about and if we should get it. Thanks!!!!

Argh. Yeah it looks like you're correct, minimum amount due is $516 :| Does this 516 include our second deposit?

I personally plan on buying the course pack and Netter's. No guide.

Argh. Yeah it looks like you're correct, minimum amount due is $516 :| Does this 516 include our second deposit?

I personally plan on buying the course pack and Netter's. No guide.

I don't think this is part of the deposit =(. I wish they would just bill us for this with tuition so that we could use student loans for it...

I don't think this is part of the deposit =(. I wish they would just bill us for this with tuition so that we could use student loans for it...

My exact thoughts. :bang:

We at least "get our deposits back" this Summer in the form of an overage refund if we take out the full loan amounts right?

We at least "get our deposits back" this Summer in the form of an overage refund if we take out the full loan amounts right?

I haven't heard of this yet but it would be very nice...

can anyone confirm?

can anyone confirm?

I think the second deposit is applied towards the tuition.

I have a question regarding summer financial aid. So my aid is mostly unsubsidized loans. Is that the case with everyone? Looking at 2013 class Facebook page, it seems like most people got the maximum amount of subsidized loan supplemented with unsubsidized.

I think the second deposit is applied towards the tuition.

I have a question regarding summer financial aid. So my aid is mostly unsubsidized loans. Is that the case with everyone? Looking at 2013 class Facebook page, it seems like most people got the maximum amount of subsidized loan supplemented with unsubsidized.

Mine is 100% "FED Direct Subsidized Ln", at least for the Summer. I think mine will be more than half unsubsidized loans in the Fall.

I believe you can take out $8500 subsidized per school year for grad school and a maximum of $65,500 total subsidized loans which includes undergrad subsidized loans.

Unfortunately I'm going to end up loading up my credit card or a short-term loan if we have to keep paying out of pocket before orientation and classes even start :thumbdown:

can anyone confirm?

Yes, you would get your deposit back if you accept all of your financial aid. The aid is based off of what MSUCOM calculated as the semester budget. However, you can also just accept less and count what you already paid toward your tuition. However, most people (me included) probably used a credit card for the deposit. So I will accept it all and pay off the card.

Mine is 100% "FED Direct Subsidized Ln", at least for the Summer. I think mine will be more than half unsubsidized loans in the Fall.

I believe you can take out $8500 subsidized per school year for grad school and a maximum of $65,500 total subsidized loans which includes undergrad subsidized loans.

Unfortunately I'm going to end up loading up my credit card or a short-term loan if we have to keep paying out of pocket before orientation and classes even start :thumbdown:

OK. See that's why it doesn't make sense why I have almost all of mine with unsubsidized. I should still be able to take all the subsidized and cover the rest with unsubsidized. I will see what the financial aid office will tell me.

OK. See that's why it doesn't make sense why I have almost all of mine with unsubsidized. I should still be able to take all the subsidized and cover the rest with unsubsidized. I will see what the financial aid office will tell me.

I think it depends on your EFC from the FAFSA. For example I think I have about 70% subsidized and 30% unsubsidized, where my friend has 100% subsidized. I screwed myself by working and making a little money, now I get to pay more interest over the years. Let us know what you find out from the financial aid office and why people get different amounts. Thanks.

I think it depends on your EFC from the FAFSA. For example I think I have about 70% subsidized and 30% unsubsidized, where my friend has 100% subsidized. I screwed myself by working and making a little money, now I get to pay more interest over the years. Let us know what you find out from the financial aid office and why people get different amounts. Thanks.

OK. That makes sense. If that is the case, I screwed myself because I have been working for few years now... I still don't see why I should pay more interest over the years because I have probably paid more in taxes over the years. Well, I will let you know what I hear from financial aid.

Here is what I heard back:
The Stafford that is subsidized is based on financial need so that amount is determined by the budget and your family contribution and cannot exceed the need based on the FAFSA information. That is the reason you did not receive the full amount of subsidized loan for summer.

Sounds like I'm going to be screwed for working...

Here is what I heard back:
The Stafford that is subsidized is based on financial need so that amount is determined by the budget and your family contribution and cannot exceed the need based on the FAFSA information. That is the reason you did not receive the full amount of subsidized loan for summer.

Sounds like I'm going to be screwed for working...

I'm currently working and put my parents' info into my fafsa, I don't think you're screwed for working. Maybe double check your fafsa just in case? :confused:

Also per financial aid, we can get $450 of the $1050 deposit back. The rest goes towards fees not listed in our budget.

I'm currently working and put my parents' info into my fafsa, I don't think you're screwed for working. Maybe double check your fafsa just in case? :confused:

Also per financial aid, we can get $450 of the $1050 deposit back. The rest goes towards fees not listed in our budget.

I'm guessing that my FAFSA score is high. Not much I can do there. I have my parent's info, but they live in another country and not U.S. citizens so I think it's almost if they don't exist for FAFSA.

I was just hoping to have maximum amount of subsidized loans, but I will probably be stuck with unsubsidized and the grad plus.

How long after your FAFSA processed did you have to wait for MSU to either send you info through email or have any info posted on StuInfo about your available loans?

How long after your FAFSA processed did you have to wait for MSU to either send you info through email or have any info posted on StuInfo about your available loans?

I submitted my FAFSA for the summer on 01/18/09. I received email regarding the loans from MSU on 02/10/10.

I completed my FAFSA for the fall/spring on 02/10/10. I have not heard anything regarding that one.

A few weeks.

thanks dr.z and placebo :) I just filled my FAFSA a few days ago on account of having everything thrown at me at once these past few weeks. hopefully it won't cause an issue for being later than usual.

thanks dr.z and placebo :) I just filled my FAFSA a few days ago on account of having everything thrown at me at once these past few weeks. hopefully it won't cause an issue for being later than usual.

you will be fine. Some people won't even be accepted until May and later.

you will be fine. Some people won't even be accepted until May and later.

True, but people always nag on filling FAFSA early to get a better chance at scholarships or better federal aid.