MSUCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason3278

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my acceptance today, so I thought I'd start the MSUCOM 2013 thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I hope you love MSUCOM! It's a great place to learn Osteopathic medicine. Best of luck :)

Great to "meet" you, I guess I'll be seeing you in the fall. I just got my acceptance a week ago. Are you visiting campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am visiting campus on Jan. 22

How's it going everyone? :idea:

Just thought I'd say hello to my future classmates. :D

I'm one of the incoming DO/PhD students this summer. :cool:

I figured we should use this as an opportunity to ask questions of each other and get a feel for the COM before we start. :scared:

BUMP! :thumbup:

PS: here's the hyperlink for the Facebook "MSUCOM Class of 2013" Group

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?k=100...b1181ddfd5a2ab20ff#/group.php?gid=24119884100

Cheers!

1. Living Situation?

I don't know about anyone else - but I was hoping/planning on rooming with 1 or 2 other people from my entering class. PM me if you're interested in sharing an apt. Anyone have any recommendations as far as where to live?

2. Which Site?

Are you an East Lansing lugnut, or are you a Detroit Tiger, or perhaps even a Macomb kid?

3. Random Info for everyone's FYI?

1. Living Situation?

I don't know about anyone else - but I was hoping/planning on rooming with 1 or 2 other people from my entering class. PM me if you're interested in sharing an apt. Anyone have any recommendations as far as where to live?

2. Which Site?

Are you an East Lansing lugnut, or are you a Detroit Tiger, or perhaps even a Macomb kid?

1. I'm going to try and get an apt in Glenwood. However, I don't think I'm a very good roommate. (I'm a snooze button addict, but I guess the first step is admitting it.) Anyone know any info about that place? (good/bad - both appreciated!)

2. Can't wait to get to the East Lansing campus. Love the Big Ten/Big Campus feel of the place. Although, I also love the whole crazy ER feel you sometimes get in downtown locations.

3. I don't like eggs. That's random, yes?

1) I'm at Berrytree...I need to fill my other bedroom, so if your looking for a place close...let me know.

2) East Lansing

3) Love fishing

1) not sure
2) East Lansing
3) Love Cricket (the sport)

1. Living Situation?

We (my wife and 3 week old son) be renting a house, preferably outside of town.

2. Which Site?

East Lansing

I love deer hunting.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone and hope to see u guys on june 25th.

1. secured a spot @ berrytree
2. el
3. love mustard??

Hey guys! Just got my acceptance today after being on hold for fall grades! I am so excited!

I am planning on attending the EL campus if it is not full, since I did my undergrad here and already live in El... I live in Castle Point and recommend it! I love it

Something random: I own a 180 lb. saint bernard

Congrats to all of you who worked so freakin hard this past semester and got an acceptance recently.

Hats off to you for all your hard work that finally paid off! :thumbup:

Here's the Facebook page for our Entering Class, fyi:
http://www.facebook.com/s.php?k=1000...id=24119884100

See you all in late June! :xf:

Last edited:
OK, so need a little help.... like Davenp73, I too got my acceptance letter today. The thing is, I already sent in my deposit to NSU and I really liked their program when I was down there for my interview.

Anyway, there are some pros (my family is here) and cons (it IS Michigan...), but what I want to know are some of the things that you like best about the school and made you choose MSUCOM. I'm planning a trip to check out the program myself, but just thought I'd get some of your thoughts since you're the entering class!

Thanks....and congrats!

Is anyone else nervous? I'm sure I'm going but visiting on Feb 9 anyway and doing the PhD recruitment weekend from Feb 12-15. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you!

1. Living Situation?

Not sure yet, I know I want a roommate though because I hate being alone. I have a Wii if that is any incentive to potential roommates, lol.

2. Which Site?

East Lansing

I really love horses and I have a pretty little Thoroughbred (rescued from the racetrack) named Casey!

We fellow COMers on SDN will not put up with your Bribery! :mad:

How dare you try to influence our minds with the belief that a Nintendo Wii is reason for granting you room-mate dignified salvation! :eek:

(so ... what games do you have?) :laugh:

Hey guys,

Since I did my undergrad at MSU I thought I would give you my two cents on living situations! I love Castle pointe (it's pretty cheap, the maintenance staff is AMAZING! and you can have pets!), it is great! I have lived here for tow years, and my neighbors are almost all pre-professoinal or young professionals. Some other good ones are Berrytree, Carriage Hill, Brairridge, Somerset park, club meridian, and nemoke trails.

I would avoid chandlers crossings, dovers crossings, university village, abbott pointe, abbott place and any others that appeal to undergrads. I lived in chandlers, and while the apartments are really nice, the walls are PAPER thin! Not joking, and its one of the prime party spots in EL....

As far as houses go, there are some cheaper deals in Lansing, but try to stay around the frandor area. While downtown Lansing has really cheap houses, it isn't always the best area.

Hope that helps some of you!

OK, so need a little help.... like Davenp73, I too got my acceptance letter today. The thing is, I already sent in my deposit to NSU and I really liked their program when I was down there for my interview.

Anyway, there are some pros (my family is here) and cons (it IS Michigan...), but what I want to know are some of the things that you like best about the school and made you choose MSUCOM. I'm planning a trip to check out the program myself, but just thought I'd get some of your thoughts since you're the entering class!

Thanks....and congrats!

Hey, congrats buddy!

Here is some thoughts from other users on NSU:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6464809&postcount=219

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6644997&postcount=229

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6831879&postcount=233

And here is one for MSUCOM:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6124538&postcount=164

But, the most important factor to consider, and the reason you should come to MSU, is that I'll be there and you can be my classmate!

Last edited:
I had an interview, and I will be attending the DMC location.

Question to any fellow OOS students out there: how are you all planning to pay for this education?

I guess I'm interested to hear from anyone out there who is actually going to take out loans, since it seems like it will be an exorbitant amount of money.

I'm a DO/PhD Candidate. That Program has a scholarship that helps pay the PhD Tuition and pays you a generous monthly stipend to pay the med-school tuition and living expenses. I'm out of state from Florida. FYI.

I most def will take out some additional loans, esp for first year since we have to buy furniture and other random things for an apartment. Even that will be frugal though - I'm going to shop at IKEA in Canton, MI for most of my stuff. You can't beat modern loveseats for 279 dollars and mattresses for jut over 300 bucks, lol

Regardless though - yes it is a lot of money - about as much as a private school elsewhere. And those people do just fine after they graduate. They pay off 200k in loans within 5-7 years. Not too shabby.

I'm a DO/PhD Candidate. That Program has a scholarship that helps pay the PhD Tuition and pays you a generous monthly stipend to pay the med-school tuition and living expenses. I'm out of state from Florida. FYI.

I most def will take out some additional loans, esp for first year since we have to buy furniture and other random things for an apartment. Even that will be frugal though - I'm going to shop at IKEA in Canton, MI for most of my stuff. You can't beat modern loveseats for 279 dollars and mattresses for jut over 300 bucks, lol

Regardless though - yes it is a lot of money - about as much as a private school elsewhere. And those people do just fine after they graduate. They pay off 200k in loans within 5-7 years. Not too shabby.

Thanks Algo! I'm also up for the DO/PhD (I find out next week), but if I don't get it I still have the med school acceptance... fingers are crossed!

Sooo I got placed at the Macomb campus, but my preference is in East Lansing. They said i'm apparently on a waitlist but I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

I've already lined up housing with some fellow MSU-COM 2013 guys from my current university in East Lansing. So now i'm sort of in limbo. I might just differ and wait till next year I guess.... :confused:

Please let me know if someone else is in the same boat as me. :thumbdown:

Sooo I got placed at the Macomb campus, but my preference is in East Lansing. They said i'm apparently on a waitlist but I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

I've already lined up housing with some fellow MSU-COM 2013 guys from my current university in East Lansing. So now i'm sort of in limbo. I might just differ and wait till next year I guess.... :confused:

Please let me know if someone else is in the same boat as me. :thumbdown:

I can appreciate where you are coming from - because I only recently submitted my paperwork I feel as if I will end up in the same boat though I have yet to find out...

Important fact (from the website): "While you always have the option of deferring your admission to the next year, you will not be allowed to request a specific site or carry forward your site assignment to the subsequent year. Numbers of openings and allocation methodology for deferred admissions will be determined each September."

Might want to keep that in mind!

I attend U of M currently and will also be part of the 2013 MSUCOM class and am looking for roommates/ any helpful information.

I love basketball and any other sports.

Hey 2013 Commers!

Congrats on getting accepted to MSUCOM! I enjoyed my education and there and will be graduating this May! I have a condo in EL that I am renting if anyone is interested. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about med school or the area as well. You can send me a PM if you want info about the condo. It is 2BR, and about 10min from campus. It has a garage, and pets are a possibility. Thanks, congrats and good luck!:D

Hey all,

I was wondering what the path through DO school is. Do you take classes all 4 years and then go to residency? or intern?

Whats the order and when do you start getting your first check?

THanks!!

Hey all,

I was wondering what the path through DO school is. Do you take classes all 4 years and then go to residency? or intern?

Whats the order and when do you start getting your first check?

THanks!!

Kind of weird question to ask on a school specific thread. But, basically the path for a career as a doctor (DO or MD) is:

Undergraduate Degree (BS or BA)--->Medical School (DO or MD) (2 years of classroom work, and 2 years of clinical rotations)------->Residency/Fellowship (3-7ish years)

Your 1st "paycheck" would come during residency, but your 1st paycheck as an full fledged practicing physician wouldn't come until after you've finished residency.

So after I went on the DMC campus tour, I checked out places to live in
the area and there aren't that many cool places in Downtown Detroit -
it seemed really rundown. I know that the place to be for young
people in the Detroit area is Royal oak. Its only a 15min drive and
it is a great scene for young professionals. I know I couldn't stand
being stuck in downtown D year-round. Royal Oak is the perfect place
to be, I checked it out today. If anyone is interested in possibly
living there, let me know.

Hi all! I just found out Tuesday that I was taken off the waitlist, and in for this year! Excited as I am to be part of the class of 2013, I'm still a little clueless and feeling SO behind to everyone. We start in less than a month. Can't wait to meet everyone!

If anyone is moving to the Macomb campus and needs a place to stay feel free to contact me. I am just starting my intern year at Mt Clemens Regional Medical Center (I believe you all will be based here, and ill be here for 5 years,just moved into the house), and live within walking distance of the hospital. I have a 2 Bedroom 1000 square foot house with two bath and a large soon to be finished basement. It is a nice place and ive spent a lot of time and $$$ fixing it up. $500/month.

Hey,
I was just accepted to MSUCOM class of 2014, and I was wondering what the drug test is like and when they do it. Do they just do a urine test, or is a hair test involved? I don't normally do drugs, but I smoked marijuana like 3 times this past year, once in sept., and I am freaking out that I am going to fail my drug test.

Thanks

Hey,
I was just accepted to MSUCOM class of 2014, and I was wondering what the drug test is like and when they do it. Do they just do a urine test, or is a hair test involved? I don't normally do drugs, but I smoked marijuana like 3 times this past year, once in sept., and I am freaking out that I am going to fail my drug test.

Thanks

They actually don't do the drug screen until you are about to enter clerkships (so at the end of year two), so nothing to stress about at the current time...