MSUCOM Vs. AZCOM 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doghead

We make our own luck.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Michigan resident, so I have every reason to go to MSUCOM. Better reputation, tuition, rotations, connections, etc. The thing is, I am so BORED of Michigan. Like, to the point of claustrophobia. It's gray, cold and flat. The ONLY reason I want AZCOM over Michigan is the change of scenery. Give me some sun and mountains, and maybe I will be happier and then maybe, subsequently, I will do better in school? Is that stupid?

Members don't see this ad.

Never been to MI, but I know that feel. I will say that thought of tuition and debt never played too much on my mind, but now that I'm in the trenches of this mess I wish I had looked into any cheaper options. It's only a few more years (since 4th year is mostly away rotations), and you have many many years to practice wherever you please.

If you're bored, take an awesome road trip or something this summer and have fun. Most of all, be happy that you have the privilege of attending a state school as an IS resident.

I'm a Michigan resident, so I have every reason to go to MSUCOM. Better reputation, tuition, rotations, connections, etc. The thing is, I am so BORED of Michigan. Like, to the point of claustrophobia. It's gray, cold and flat. The ONLY reason I want AZCOM over Michigan is the change of scenery. Give me some sun and mountains, and maybe I will be happier and then maybe, subsequently, I will do better in school? Is that stupid?

Yes. That is very stupid. You'll be studying mostly anyway. Glendale is terribly boring and mostly ghetto anyway. Plus it's the hottest part of Phoenix.

EDIT: Oh god, totally forgot the cost, you're an MI resident. AZCOM isn't even an option. Your estimated CoA for AZCOM would be about 90kish/year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, if I was a Michigan resident I would definitely take the MSUCOM route. In medical school, I'd imagine you won't even have time to be bored of your surroundings. I second the person who said to go on a road trip or vacation this summer. It might be all you need, and you'd be saving tens of thousands in the long run.

Ahhhhh futz. Thanks for the advice guys. It's absolutely not what I want to hear, but the unanimity of it makes it clear I have to think this over more than previously guessed.

Ahhhhh futz. Thanks for the advice guys. It's absolutely not what I want to hear, but the unanimity of it makes it clear I have to think this over more than previously guessed.

What's the exact difference in cost?

What's the exact difference in cost?
MSUCOM = 45K
AZCOM = 60K

Half of students seem to say "What's 60K in the long run when you're going to be a doctor, go where you want to live" and the other half says "GO TO THE CHEAPER SCHOOL." So confuzzling.

Money doesn't matter, but the reality is that you will find nothing in Arizona. Do you prefer being in doors all day studying in Michigan or in doors all day studying in Arizona and paying more? That's really the decision. This isn't undergrad where you get to go have fun on the weekends.

Reactions: 1 users
Money doesn't matter, but the reality is that you will find nothing in Arizona. Do you prefer being in doors all day studying in Michigan or in doors all day studying in Arizona and paying more? That's really the decision. This isn't undergrad where you get to go have fun on the weekends.

Lol you can't be serious. Unless mommy and daddy are paying your way, it absolutely does. I work with over 50 physicians routinely. When we're catching up regarding where I'm interviewing/acceptances/ etc. Unianousmly, the first question every single one asks is how much it costs. Not even if it's MD/DO, what school, where, etc. Straight up just cost. Besides, that difference of 60k easily becomes near 100k after interest. Just my two cents. I know a lot of pre-meds/MS care about facilities, tech, location etc. But the reality is none of the matters when you graduate.

15k difference is a lot. Spend part of that 'difference' on a nice vacation over summers, if possible. Cheaper and you'll still get your change of scenery albeit being only over the summer.

Gahhh, I'm trying to tune out all this logic.

Another thing to note, if it makes a difference or not, is my rotations with AZCOM would be in Chicago, which is where I wanted to my eventual residency.

MSUCOM = 45K
AZCOM = 60K

Half of students seem to say "What's 60K in the long run when you're going to be a doctor, go where you want to live" and the other half says "GO TO THE CHEAPER SCHOOL." So confuzzling.

I'm actually in the same boat deciding between my state school and another for no better reason than change of scenery + nicer weather. The difference I'm looking at is about 8k. I'm definitely one who votes that money absolutely matters, it's unfathomable how some say it's not a factor (?). But in your case, I can't really comment on how the programs compare but a difference of 15k better at least be considered. I mean the idea is simple, the more money you take out in loans = more time spent paying back loans and fighting interest = more stress and less money you can pocket. Personally, I could only justify paying an extra 60k (raw, w/o interest) if the cheaper program was newborn or really bad -- I couldn't justify a change in scenery.

Another thing to note, if it makes a difference or not, is my rotations with AZCOM would be in Chicago, which is where I wanted to my eventual residency.

I think that would help (I'm not qualified to say either way) but I'm inclined to say that your net gain is minimal. The rotations where you really start to narrow in on the area of medicine you want to pursue (and those that you'll really want good LORs and connections from) come 4th year where you are able to go anywhere you'd like, regardless of the location of your med school.

So basically you can end up in Chicago while attending MSUCOM, arguably just as easily as if you went to AZCOM. Chicago's close enough to Michigan that I'd think plenty of medical graduates end up there?

^^Lots of speculation, superior members feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And OP I'm not trying to shoot you down, I think challenging your situation could only lead to benefit and clarity. Regardless of your choice, you have two great schools offering acceptance, that in itself should not be neglected.

Lol you can't be serious. Unless mommy and daddy are paying your way, it absolutely does. I work with over 50 physicians routinely. When we're catching up regarding where I'm interviewing/acceptances/ etc. Unianousmly, the first question every single one asks is how much it costs. Not even if it's MD/DO, what school, where, etc. Straight up just cost. Besides, that difference of 60k easily becomes near 100k after interest. Just my two cents. I know a lot of pre-meds/MS care about facilities, tech, location etc. But the reality is none of the matters when you graduate.
At that point in your debt you're likely to have to use one of the 10-20 year repayment plans, so it really doesn't matter. You're screwed anyway. If you're not using a repayment plan, you're not being smart about paying off your debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
At that point in your debt you're likely to have to use one of the 10-20 year repayment plans, so it really doesn't matter. You're screwed anyway. If you're not using a repayment plan, you're not being smart about paying off your debt.

?

That still changes the monthly repayment. Pulling at a full CoA at 60k, lets say LECOM, 30k tuition, 30k CoL. AZCOM 60k tuition, 33k CoL. If you max them (and we'll take out interest), that alone is 2,000 per month vs. 3,200 per month in repayment for a 10 year plan. This figure doesn't even include interest, but not everyone will max their loans so it gives a rough estimate.

?

That still changes the monthly repayment. Pulling at a full CoA at 60k, lets say LECOM, 30k tuition, 30k CoL. AZCOM 60k tuition, 33k CoL. If you max them (and we'll take out interest), that alone is 2,000 per month vs. 3,200 per month in repayment for a 10 year plan. This figure doesn't even include interest, but not everyone will max their loans so it gives a rough estimate.
My understanding is that all these programs* are income based, so you'll be paying the same amount. The only time when you have "some" to lose is during the tax bomb at the end, but at that point in your career, it won't be a drastic difference.

Last edited:
MSU is a MUCH better school than AZCOM...go to MSU.

MSU is a MUCH better school than AZCOM...go to MSU.
And they just told me I would not be at the main campus, but Macomb which appears to be a tiny outlier facility in the suburbs. I feel like I'd be missing out on the significant resources advertised by MSU such as gyms, libraries and numerous other facilities

MSUCOM = 45K
AZCOM = 60K

Once you look at interest, it's a hell of a lot more important than where you hunker down for school for a couple of years. And chances are the half saying "go where you want to live" are attending school on mommy and daddy's dime anyway.

This is a VERY easy decision to go MSU.

Actually, with loan interest rates above 5% you lose money if you do any of the long term repayment plans while investing over that same time period (be it 10 years or greater). With said loan rates you come ahead if you pay it all off in less than 5 years and invest when you're debt free, as opposed to the former plan here.

MSUCOM in one of the best medical schools in the country, let alone MD vs DO schools. MSUCOM Is the only DO school I would recommend choose over a MD one.

Actually, with loan interest rates above 5% you lose money if you do any of the long term repayment plans while investing over that same time period (be it 10 years or greater). With said loan rates you come ahead if you pay it all off in less than 5 years and invest when you're debt free, as opposed to the former plan here.
I'll have to look into the numbers more closely then. Did you factor in the fact that your residency and fellowship years are added into this repayment period?

Arizona is cool, so if tuition were even close to the same, I would say go to AZCOM.

But in-state MSUCOM vs. anywhere else? Travel on your breaks and save the money.

And they just told me I would not be at the main campus, but Macomb which appears to be a tiny outlier facility in the suburbs. I feel like I'd be missing out on the significant resources advertised by MSU such as gyms, libraries and numerous other facilities

Which would only be relevant for the first two years, most likely. Your rotation sites will be elsewhere.

I mean it definitely sounds like you're trying to rationalize going to AZCOM. If you think a gym and your surroundings is worth $100,000 after interest, who can tell you otherwise? But really let that sink in...

Grass is greener on the other side, etc, etc (and there is no grass in Arizona :laugh:)

it is still a much better choice all-around. One reason being tons of affiliated residency programs.

Does anyone know if Macomb has access to research as well? Recorded lectures?

To update in case anyone sees this again, you group-full of individuals convinced me of MSUCOM. For this, I will always hate you. Deeply.

Doghead if your not going to like going to msucom don't go, yes the tuition thing is a hit but I'd rather be happy at my school spending more than miserable at a cheaper place