MU-COM vs. ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJS4878

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is another one of these threads! However, I have yet to see one that compares two new schools. I have been accepted to both and am really having a hard time deciding because I really enjoyed so many aspects of each school. I was just hoping for some input.

-In terms of facility and faculty, the schools seem just about equal.
-Location is definitely different. Dothan isn't the most exciting area, but it seems to have everything you would need. Indianapolis on the other hand is a rather large city.
-ACOM has a really impressive set of rotations that were already established before the school, so I think that is a major plus since those hospitals have been teaching students for a few years now.
-Marian doesn't have an attendance policy and records everything, which I think would benefit me, however I really don't know what will work best for me in medical school. I'm sure my study habits will be vastly different than that of undergrad.

These are just a few general things that I have been contemplating, hopefully you all can provide some feedback!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is another one of these threads! However, I have yet to see one that compares two new schools. I have been accepted to both and am really having a hard time deciding because I really enjoyed so many aspects of each school. I was just hoping for some input.

-Location is definitely different. Dothan isn't the most exciting area, but it seems to have everything you would need. Indianapolis on the other hand is a rather large city.
-ACOM has a really impressive set of rotations that were already established before the school, so I think that is a major plus since those hospitals have been teaching students for a few years now.
-Marian doesn't have an attendance policy and records everything, which I think would benefit me, however I really don't know what will work best for me in medical school. I'm sure my study habits will be vastly different than that of undergrad.

These are just a few general things that I have been contemplating, hopefully you all can provide some feedback!

Thanks

I am a current student at Marian and I will tell you that I have NOOOOO regrets coming here. The fact that MUCOM doesn't have an attendance policy (unlike ACOM at aroundd 80%) makes a huge differences for the following reason:
- I can actually tailor my study habits to however best fits me where if I need to switch things up and go to lecture I have the liberty to do so, or if I want to listen to lecture videos at 2x at home I can do that too.

Listen, I come from NYC and I can tell you that being in Indianapolis has given me great opportunities from stuff to do outside of school, and also the opportunity to be able to rotate in a diverse city, allowing me to be exposed to different types of patients.

The faculty here at Marian is 100% accessible and absolutely amazing. I did go to ACOM interview last year and I thought that Marian had better resources and better environment to give me that diverse medical education that is vital in growing America.

I do hope you come to Marian. We welcome you with open arms.

I am a current student at Marian and I will tell you that I have NOOOOO regrets coming here. The fact that MUCOM doesn't have an attendance policy (unlike ACOM at aroundd 80%) makes a huge differences for the following reason:
- I can actually tailor my study habits to however best fits me where if I need to switch things up and go to lecture I have the liberty to do so, or if I want to listen to lecture videos at 2x at home I can do that too.

Listen, I come from NYC and I can tell you that being in Indianapolis has given me great opportunities from stuff to do outside of school, and also the opportunity to be able to rotate in a diverse city, allowing me to be exposed to different types of patients.

The faculty here at Marian is 100% accessible and absolutely amazing. I did go to ACOM interview last year and I thought that Marian had better resources and better environment to give me that diverse medical education that is vital in growing America.

I do hope you come to Marian. We welcome you with open arms.

Thank you! I really appreciate your input and I have to admit that I am leaning towards Marian at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Just wanted to comment on 2 things: Indy doesn't feel like a huge city (if that's a turn-off for you). It's more like a big town that doesn't know it's a city, with all the amenities of a city. And regarding the rotations, MUCOM has a ridiculous amount of rotations already establish all over the state (both in rural and urban areas). I don't believe rotations will be an issue at MUCOM. As with a new school, there have been hiccups. Feel free to PM me if you have specific q's about the school.

Just wanted to comment on 2 things: Indy doesn't feel like a huge city (if that's a turn-off for you). It's more like a big town that doesn't know it's a city, with all the amenities of a city. And regarding the rotations, MUCOM has a ridiculous amount of rotations already establish all over the state (both in rural and urban areas). I don't believe rotations will be an issue at MUCOM. As with a new school, there have been hiccups. Feel free to PM me if you have specific q's about the school.

Thanks for the post!

Can any ACOM students offer some advice?

Thanks for the post!

Can any ACOM students offer some advice?

I have no complaints. I love weather down here and the school's mission/goals. I do like the fact that our rotations are very well established. Dothan has a lot more to offer than meets the eye, and it doesn't hurt that Panama City Beach is about a 1.5 hour drive away (a fact that many of us have utilized).

No matter where you go it's up to you to put the hard work in and succeed. Both schools will get you where you want to go if you work at it.