My advisor told me nothing =[ help please? 3.77/3.76 35Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikeskittles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated a year ago and I drove up 3 hours to meet with my advisor where all he said was "i see... well good luck. need anything else?" I did buy MSAR and with it I came up with a list but I was wondering if I can still get any input =]

Here are my stats:
BS Accounting
3.77 oGPA/ 3.76 BCPM
35Q (12/11/12)

So I didn't have much ECs during school because for 3 years I was interning at an accounting office. so for the past year since I graduated I've done the following.

200+ hours ICU (currently still doing)
50+ hours ED
100+ hours Clinical Research including 1 abstraction submission (authorship) (currently still doing)
~400 hours teaching SAT II BIO/CHEM/PHYS + SAT Math
currently working full time as a medical assistant at a cardiology office (will continue to do so until July 2014)

Yeah it's been hell having a 7 day week with no day off (60 hours a week of full time job + volunteer + research) but I felt I had no other choice due to my lack of ECs as of last year.

I am a New York State resident.

This is my list but I'm not sure what to add or take away. I'd like to keep it 15-20ish. I'm very open to going anywhere.

Albany
George Washington
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Penn State
NYMC
Temple
Tufts
Stony Brook
Georgetown
SUNY Buffalo
Uconn
Boston University
Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
NYU
UVirginia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai

I've been staring at MSAR a while now and still can't tell what would be reaches and what mid-tiers, etc. Thanks for your ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are great. Your school list looks good also. How are your LORs? Are your clinical hours just volunteering or do you have shadowing as well?

So I graduated a year ago and I drove up 3 hours to meet with my advisor where all he said was "i see... well good luck. need anything else?" I did buy MSAR and with it I came up with a list but I was wondering if I can still get any input =]

Here are my stats:
BS Accounting
3.77 oGPA/ 3.76 BCPM
35Q (12/11/12)

So I didn't have much ECs during school because for 3 years I was interning at an accounting office. so for the past year since I graduated I've done the following.

200+ hours ICU (currently still doing)
50+ hours ED
100+ hours Clinical Research including 1 abstraction submission (authorship) (currently still doing)
~400 hours teaching SAT II BIO/CHEM/PHYS + SAT Math
currently working full time as a medical assistant at a cardiology office (will continue to do so until July 2014)

Yeah it's been hell having a 7 day week with no day off (60 hours a week of full time job + volunteer + research) but I felt I had no other choice due to my lack of ECs as of last year.

I am a New York State resident.

This is my list but I'm not sure what to add or take away. I'd like to keep it 15-20ish. I'm very open to going anywhere.

Albany
George Washington
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Penn State
NYMC
Temple
Tufts
Stony Brook
Georgetown
SUNY Buffalo
Uconn
Boston University
Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
NYU
UVirginia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai

I've been staring at MSAR a while now and still can't tell what would be reaches and what mid-tiers, etc. Thanks for your ideas!

That's a good school list for your stats. Are you open to coming out west? I think you'd be pretty competitive for USC Keck, Northwestern, U of M if you wanted to add more reaches. SLU, Creighton, Tulane, Rosalind Franklin if you wanted more low-mid tiers. Although, I can't imagine you won't get into at least a few of those schools in your existing list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are great. Your school list looks good also. How are your LORs? Are your clinical hours just volunteering or do you have shadowing as well?

LORs I have one from my orgo professor, one from an accounting professor (who I also TA'd for for a year), one from the ICU volunteer coordinator, and one from a research director

Well I have no "official" shadowing but a good portion of the ICU volunteering involved me each morning following the physicians during their rounds and also observing procedures like bronchs, trachs, etc. Also don't know if my cardiology practice job can be cross referenced as "shadowing" as well but I see what the physician does on a daily basis and know his practice inside and out. And my brother is a ED physician so he would sometimes unofficially let me follow him around or another physician (but I'm not sure I can put that on the app)

Last edited:
That's a good school list for your stats. Are you open to coming out west? I think you'd be pretty competitive for USC Keck, Northwestern, U of M if you wanted to add more reaches. SLU, Creighton, Tulane, Rosalind Franklin if you wanted more low-mid tiers. Although, I can't imagine you won't get into at least a few of those schools in your existing list.

Hrm thanks for the west perspective. I'll definitely think about that adding maybe a reach and mid tier from those. Pretty sure I'd be happier away from this northeastern weather too lol.

Hopkins, Yale, Harvard, Stanford. Reach for the stars man. If I had scores like you I would.

Hopkins, Yale, Harvard, Stanford. Reach for the stars man. If I had scores like you I would.

This just depends on how much cash OP wants to burn on lower yield applications. I do agree he could add a couple more reaches though.