My chances at an MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loving medicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know these threads are created all the time but I have been very upset about my gpa. I am going to graduate in December. I was pretty stressed out with the move and financial crisis, was not able to concentrate in school. Although I started volunteering and shadowing in January 2014. I am financially disadvantaged. Ill apply in May/June 2015. I know there are schools that take low gpa but I have something worse on my transcript.
My stats etc:
Age 23( if I get in Ill be 25 then)
100 hours of volunteering( planning on doing 250 by then)
50 hours of shadowing(planning on doing 100 by then)
No research(Ill get into something this fall)
good LORs
3.75 (0verall gpa) 3.3( AMCAS gpa) I repeated some classes and Ive got mostly As in Bio Chem and Phys.
Texas resident.

Got 3 F and 17w all in one year due to health reasons around Jan 2013 till Dec 2013 I dropped out 2 semesters and during the summer semester it was late so got Fs. ( I dont have insuarance, thanks to Obama Care itll start next month and I finally will be able to get treated)

And I dont think I can bring it higher than 3.4 I only have 12 credits left.

Should I apply to medical schools or just forget about it?
Can I apply as an URM since I am financially disadvantaged?
What can I do to improve my application?

I would really appreciate it if anyone got back to me on this, be honest even if its mean. Thank you so much for reading.

Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I know these threads are created all the time but I have been very upset about my gpa. I am going to graduate in December. I was pretty stressed out with the move and financial crisis, was not able to concentrate in school. Although I started volunteering and shadowing in January 2014. I am financially disadvantaged. Ill apply in May/June 2015. I know there are schools that take low gpa but I have something worse on my transcript.
My stats etc:
Age 23( if I get in Ill be 25 then)
100 hours of volunteering( planning on doing 250 by then)
50 hours of shadowing(planning on doing 100 by then)
No research(Ill get into something this fall)
good LORs
3.75 (0verall gpa) 3.3( AMCAS gpa) I repeated some classes and Ive got mostly As in Bio Chem and Phys.
Texas resident.

Got 3 F and 17w all in one year due to health reasons around Jan 2013 till Dec 2013 I dropped out 2 semesters and during the summer semester it was late so got Fs. ( I dont have insuarance, thanks to Obama Care itll start next month and I finally will be able to get treated)
And I dont think I can bring it higher than 3.4 I only have 12 credits left.

Should I apply to medical schools or just forget about it?
Can I apply as an URM since I am financially disadvantaged?
What can I do to improve my application?

I would really appreciate it if anyone got back to me on this, be honest even if its mean. Thank you so much for reading.

Thank you everyone.
Thoughts:
A year of Ws with a good excuse won't hurt you provided you can be reassuring that your condition is controlled. How do you prove it? By showing consistent excellent academics and typical EC involvement for a prolonged period of time. To me, this means 1-1.5 years.

Have you considered petitioning for a retroactive withdrawal to remove those Fs from your transcript completely? Make an appointment with the appropriate dean armed with documentation.

You should not return to school until your health is properly managed. If this happens again, it will reflect poorly. You need to demonstrate that you understand your limitations and can work around them.

Financial disadvantage does not make you a URM.

Reactions: 1 users
I had no idea about retroactive withdrawal, Im not sure if my school has that but I will definitely meet an advisor and see if something could be done. Thank you so much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Catalystik - do you have any actual experience with successful retroactive withdrawals? I am about to start the process of one and was looking for advice.
I have assisted students by writing a letter to support their petition based on their provided (after medical records releases) documents (copies of physician office visits, pharmacy bills, and hospitalization records). Successful petitions have been related to the detailed paper trail of the documents given to the dean (in other words, don't expect them to take your word for it). Sometimes, students who need to drop an entire semester for health-related reasons even get some tuition money back at my university. I have never attended a hearing, so I can't advise you on what to say to the dean. And every school will have their own policy on the matter, so you need to do the homework or get the necessary advice about your own college's administrative processes.

1) a) What are the sorts of cases that you've seen that have been successful?

b) And what about ones that weren't?

2) Also - do you think they would be receptive to a "C-" being removed?
1a) Mono, IBS, new-onset cancer, severe medication side-effects, some surgeries, serious accidents, head injury with prolonged recovery, psychiatric issues (I don't write the letters for this last, but I've heard of them). 1b) If I don't write a letter, I don't hear the outcome. I won't write a letter if I can't back up my opinion with evidence.

2) Not at my school, unless the entire semester is wiped out with it due to multiple failures or inability to make up incomplete work in the required timeframe.

1) Do you think 2 semesters post the grade you want to remove is already too late for them to remove it? I mean, I am sure the school registrar can do anything, but I am asking whether you know if there is a time cap on the wait time to petition to remove a grade.

2) Also, I tried checking up my school's student handbook about this, but it is a private school, and I am not seeing anything regarding retroactive withdrawal policies. I also spoke to my registrar, and she said she's never come across this ever happening in all the years she's been working there. Should I take this as a flat no? Or perhaps my school might do it here and there, but there is just nothing written about it in their handbook. Or they have never come across a request for this to be done.
1) I've seen successful appeals 2-3 years later. I've also heard of schools that have an absolute deadline of 6 months to start an appeal.

2) I'd look for an administrative policies publication, which wouldn't entirely be included in the Student Handbook (though other appeal and disciplinary procedures might be). Don't take the Registrar's opinion as a final answer. Meet with a dean.

Reactions: 1 user