MD & DO My Chances at these schools *CCOM* ? Application sent D.O. cGPA= 3.7 sGPA= 3.6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katrose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated with my bachelors in biology in Florida back in august 2013 and took my first MCAT in January 2014 while working 40 hrs/week at a optometry clinic. I scored a 24 (BS:9, PS:6, V:9) so I recently retook it again in July and scored a 26 (BS:10, PS:8, V:8). My cGPA/sGPA for M.D. is 3.5/3.3 and D.O. is 3.7/3.6. I got a minor in chemistry and biomedical physics. I actually had a horrible first semester in undergraduate in which I failed a math course and withdrew in another course (mentioned in my PS) but came back the next semester with a 4.0 and did extremely well my last couple semesters. Have recently shadowed an M.D. for about 50 hours total and volunteered almost 200 hours at rehabilitation clinics as well as some international volunteering in Italy and Greece. I still work about 40 hours/week and plan on shadowing a D.O. and getting another LOR to add to my 2 faculty LOR and M.D. LOR.

So I submitted my AACOMAS primary app back on August 7th 2014, haven't heard anything from them. I have noticed some differences with my app such as I can no longer see my cGPA/sGPA total. I think that means it is getting close to being verified, hopefully. But I applied to about 14 schools:

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton, FL
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

I'm still considering applying to M.D. schools but do not think that my stats would be that competitive. If I did apply it would only be to about 3 schools: Florida State University (my alma mater), Rosalind Franklin University-Chicago, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. Not to mention I already have my heart set on CCOM Midwestern Chicago. In general I think osteopathic schools are a better fit for my philosophy towards medicine. I'm not at all picky about remaining in Florida where I attended high school and got my bachelors in biology. In fact, I prefer to move north and attend schools in the midwest. I mentioned in my PS how I'm originally from Michigan and moved south because my mother was in the military. I'm just really hoping my new MCAT score of 26, plus the fact that my cGPA increased to a 3.7 for D.O. will be enough for an interview and/or acceptance. I'm worried about a lot at this point, regional biases keeping me out of northern schools as well as if my stats are competitive for the schools I've listed (CCOM Midwestern in particular). Thank you for reading all that and hope someone has some advice for me ;) This is the time where I begin worrying if I need to take on the MCAT beast again...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I graduated with my bachelors in biology in Florida back in august 2013 and took my first MCAT in January 2014 while working 40 hrs/week at a optometry clinic. I scored a 24 so I recently retook it again in July and scored a 26. My cGPA/sGPA for M.D. is 3.5/3.3 and D.O. is 3.7/3.6. I got a minor in chemistry and biomedical physics. I actually had a horrible first semester in undergraduate in which I failed a math course and withdrew in another course (mentioned in my PS) but came back the next semester with a 4.0 and did extremely well my last couple semesters. Have recently shadowed an M.D. for about 50 hours total and volunteered almost 200 hours at rehabilitation clinics as well as some international volunteering in Italy and Greece. I still work about 40 hours/week and plan on shadowing a D.O. and getting another LOR to add to my 2 faculty LOR and M.D. LOR.

So I submitted my AACOMAS primary app back on August 7th 2014, haven't heard anything from them. I have noticed some differences with my app such as I can no longer see my cGPA/sGPA total. I think that means it is getting close to being verified, hopefully. But I applied to about 14 schools:

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton, FL
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MI
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

I'm still considering applying to M.D. schools but do not think that my stats would be that competitive. If I did apply it would only be to about 3 schools: Florida State University (my alma mater), Rosalind Franklin University-Chicago, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. Not to mention I already have my heart set on CCOM Midwestern Chicago. In general I think osteopathic schools are a better fit for my philosophy towards medicine. I'm not at all picky about remaining in Florida where I attended high school and got my bachelors in biology. In fact, I prefer to move north and attend schools in the midwest. I mentioned in my PS how I'm originally from Michigan and moved south because my mother was in the military. I'm just really hoping my new MCAT score of 26, plus the fact that my cGPA increased to a 3.7 for D.O. will be enough for an interview and/or acceptance. I'm worried about a lot at this point, regional biases keeping me out of northern schools as well as if my stats are competitive for the schools I've listed (CCOM Midwestern in particular). Thank you for reading all that and hope someone has some advice for me ;) This is the time where I begin worrying if I need to take on the MCAT beast again...
For MD, you might have a slim hope at your state school, but that is it. I would not bother applying anywhere else.

For DO, your list is a tad top heavy. Suggest adding some of these to be safe: NSU, ACOM, WCU, PCOM-Ga, VCOM (any).

CCOM likes MD numbers so don't count on much there...pretty sure their averages were 3.6/30 this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response! When you say top heavy, do you mean top D.O. schools with high average stats or do you mean heavy as in not within my region? I did add ACOM and PCOM to the list, probably will add NSU to my list as well because I saw another post stating that if you contact them they will sometimes accept an employer LOR in lieu of a third faculty letter. Fingers crossed :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response! When you say top heavy, do you mean top D.O. schools with high average stats or do you mean heavy as in not within my region? I did add ACOM and PCOM to the list, probably will add NSU to my list as well because I saw another post stating that if you contact them they will sometimes accept an employer LOR in lieu of a third faculty letter. Fingers crossed :)
with your orinigal list plus those schools, you should be fine. make sure to secure a DO letter for those schools requiring it.

Reactions: 1 user
Concur again with my young colleague. Also, keep in mind that UNECOM has a regional bias. Suggest thinking about MUCOM. I'd forget about MD schools.

For MD, you might have a slim hope at your state school, but that is it. I would not bother applying anywhere else.

For DO, your list is a tad top heavy. Suggest adding some of these to be safe: NSU, ACOM, WCU, PCOM-Ga, VCOM (any).

CCOM likes MD numbers so don't count on much there...pretty sure their averages were 3.6/30 this year.