What are my chances at getting into MD PHD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExAmateurEconomist

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
If I drastically improve my grades, and also get into a post bacc and get good grades, im looking at a gpa of around 3.25-3.3. How high would I have to score on the MCAT? I'm only considering it.

Members don't see this ad.

How much research have you done?
actually i did research and the post bacc i see is only 32 credits so if i have about a 3.0 to 3.1 gpa in undergrad maximum 3.16, almost all 4s in post bacc, i should have a 3.15 to 3.3 gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't MDPHD harder to get into than regular med school?

MD/PhD candidates have higher GPAs and MCATs than MD candidates and they have many thousands of hours of research and a well thought out plan about future research.

Reactions: 1 user
MD/PhD candidates have higher GPAs and MCATs than MD candidates and they have many thousands of hours of research and a well thought out plan about future research.
right so how do i get in with my low gpa? right now in sopmore year i have a 2.11 gpa, which should rise to 2.25 by the end of this semester

right so how do i get in with my low gpa? right now in sopmore year i have a 2.11 gpa, which should rise to 2.25 by the end of this semester

You would have to substantially improve your GPA, do great research and get a great MCAT score. You might have to do GPA repair at a highly respected postbacc.

In addition, you have to show a full passion for research, including a truly immersive full time research opportunity. If you are talking about NIH-funded programs, you probably don't have much of a chance and will need to get both degrees separately. Do NOT think about doing an MD/PhD if you are only looking at trying to get through med school on tuition waivers; the time to complete is not worth it.

Last edited:
Current MD-PhD and MD applicant. I have a 3.4+, 515+, and ORM. I’m starting to get schools to bite with 5 years of full-time post-bacc research with multiple publications. You should definitely consider doing a post-bacc or masters to improve your GPA for med school and invest a large amount of time in research before deciding the physician-scientist life is for you. You have to persist through a lot of failed experiments and paper / grant rejections to survive in research.

Reactions: 2 users