My Dm keeps saying DEA is coming!! WM pharmacy. True?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

This opiod stewardship thing is out of control. Wal mart is going way overboard with their controlled substance policies. My local doctors are now telling their patients not to fill at our pharmacy! and my DM just today had a long talk about the DEA is actively auditing pharmacies everywhere by coming in and making sure you are documenting your counseling of narcaan, opiod disposal packets, on anything like FENTANYL, METHADONE, BUPRENORPHINE, or an MME >50 day or a combo of opiod + Benzo. ALL require narcaan counseling and serious documentation.

Is the DEA really showing up at pharmacies and coming after pharmacists. I think my boss is full of **** personally. Hes a nasty guy and a liar from the day he took over and introduced himself. His only goal now is to replace us all with the 10-15/hr less new grads. I am watching him do this a little at a time over the last year. I hate this company and everything they stand for at this point. You may as well be working at CVS or WG's, honestly the stress is coming at you different but just as unbearable. i promise.

Members don't see this ad.

What’s so bad about opioids scripts going elsewhere

Reactions: 9 users
What’s so bad about opioids scripts going elsewhere

Well, what im getting at really is Wal mart is selling us the idea that the DEA is conducting many checks of retail pharamcies and questioning pharamcists and/or arresting. I do not believe this is wholly true however. I don't care where opiod scripts go, nor do i mind filling them. People will get drugs one way or another till the end of time. But the DEA ? my DM is using scare tactics in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys,

This opiod stewardship thing is out of control. Wal mart is going way overboard with their controlled substance policies. My local doctors are now telling their patients not to fill at our pharmacy! and my DM just today had a long talk about the DEA is actively auditing pharmacies everywhere by coming in and making sure you are documenting your counseling of narcaan, opiod disposal packets, on anything like FENTANYL, METHADONE, BUPRENORPHINE, or an MME >50 day or a combo of opiod + Benzo. ALL require narcaan counseling and serious documentation.

Is the DEA really showing up at pharmacies and coming after pharmacists. I think my boss is full of **** personally. Hes a nasty guy and a liar from the day he took over and introduced himself. His only goal now is to replace us all with the 10-15/hr less new grads. I am watching him do this a little at a time over the last year. I hate this company and everything they stand for at this point. You may as well be working at CVS or WG's, honestly the stress is coming at you different but just as unbearable. i promise.
The DEA DNGAF if you’re counseling on Narcan. That’s a Walmart policy, not a legal requirement. Your DM is just trying to scare you into compliance.

Reactions: 1 users
Your DM is not an effective leader. You can always contact the DEA on mandatory counseling. Sounds to me that they are trying to scare patient into purchasing narcan. Remember to document you interactions with DM.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah i figured , really we just have a 7 day acute vs chronic deal here in colorado. prescriber limitations ya know? some states are different. I know Florida (my home state) is 3 days maybe 7 if necessary ....etc. those rules we have to follow. Wal mart is shooting themselves in the foot....with these overboard rules...

what about documentation requirements in YOUR company? what is required at CVS or WG's, can any one comment i really have not been checking with friends lately.

i'm on my way in to do some 16 shot flu clinic at some church they roped me into. its 6 a.m here my only day off....ugghh I hate pharmacy.

Sozetone, i get that you are not happy. You are worried you will lose your job, you dont trust your leadership, you are annoyed with all the documentation you have to do, and you feel overworked and burnt out.

You have good reasons to have these feelings - they are valid.

I understand from previous posts you are looking for other jobs or even considering unemployment. I agree that changing your environment is worth considering. Sometimes the right choice is to leave.

Generally, we have two options when our expectations of how the world should be doesn't match up with how the world is. We can change the world or change our expectations. Both are worth considering, and even pursuing at the same time. Although one of these options is much easier than the other.

You can continue reacting to your situation as a victim. You can continue to be annoyed and angry and frustrated and mistrusting. You can continue to focus on how you've been wronged. I am not sure this is a productive or enjoyable way to spend your time.

How you feel and react to the situation is entirely your choice. Blaming others for how you feel robs you of this choice. In my experience realizing this truth makes me feel a sense of relief and empowerment.

Your manager may be a liar, and that's truly unfortunate, but he is also a person who has responsibilites, needs, and challenges that he is struggling with. If you took some time to learn about your managers needs and objectives, and then think about how you could go about your own responsibilites while taking into account your managers needs and objectives, you may find your work to be less stressful, and your relationship with your manager improving.

You can't force people to change to how you want them to be. But seeing other people as people who matter is something that you can always do, and is the best way to earn their trust and to influence their behavior. It doesn't work like magic, it requires repeated efforts and time, but you will notice a change in your mood almost immediately when you let go of all your resentments and start developing compassion for the people you work with. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 6 users
Walmart is being sued along with the other chains so this reactionary move is to be expected. The main point of WM's opioid policy is to curb opioid dispensing.

Also a 16-shot flu clinic is a complete waste of time. You can hit 10 a day in October easily on weekdays at a store with decent foot traffic (I did 10 shots alone the last weekend shift I worked) and you don't have to divert your staff to do a low-yield event

i'm on my way in to do some 16 shot flu clinic at some church they roped me into. its 6 a.m here my only day off....ugghh I hate pharmacy.

Isn’t that some bs. Oh and don’t expect to get paid extra, just find a way to cut it from your hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walmart is being sued along with the other chains so this reactionary move is to be expected. The main point of WM's opioid policy is to curb opioid dispensing.

Also a 16-shot flu clinic is a complete waste of time. You can hit 10 a day in October easily on weekdays at a store with decent foot traffic (I did 10 shots alone the last weekend shift I worked) and you don't have to divert your staff to do a low-yield event

Agreed, what it is, my last clinical service manager set up contracts last year with this church and it has to be upheld. The new clinical service manager is a great pharmacist who is being worked to death, and i agreed to help him out. this will probably be the last year we do any clinic less than 40 shots. However, i am a manager and also getting torn in 80 directions. You better believe i am billing extra hours for the 2 hours i was there. lol. normally i would not, but the way we are treated today....i will nickel and dime them until im gone

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn’t that some bs. Oh and don’t expect to get paid extra, just find a way to cut it from your hours.

Im a manager at 80 hours. I am submitting an extra hours from for the 2 hours i spent doing this stuff. Normally i would not, however because they treat us like disposable trash, and will probably relieve me of my position at some point for a new grad, i will nickel and dime them on my way out the door.

Sozetone, i get that you are not happy. You are worried you will lose your job, you dont trust your leadership, you are annoyed with all the documentation you have to do, and you feel overworked and burnt out.

You have good reasons to have these feelings - they are valid.

I understand from previous posts you are looking for other jobs or even considering unemployment. I agree that changing your environment is worth considering. Sometimes the right choice is to leave.

Generally, we have two options when our expectations of how the world should be doesn't match up with how the world is. We can change the world or change our expectations. Both are worth considering, and even pursuing at the same time. Although one of these options is much easier than the other.

You can continue reacting to your situation as a victim. You can continue to be annoyed and angry and frustrated and mistrusting. You can continue to focus on how you've been wronged. I am not sure this is a productive or enjoyable way to spend your time.

How you feel and react to the situation is entirely your choice. Blaming others for how you feel robs you of this choice. In my experience realizing this truth makes me feel a sense of relief and empowerment.

Your manager may be a liar, and that's truly unfortunate, but he is also a person who has responsibilites, needs, and challenges that he is struggling with. If you took some time to learn about your managers needs and objectives, and then think about how you could go about your own responsibilites while taking into account your managers needs and objectives, you may find your work to be less stressful, and your relationship with your manager improving.

You can't force people to change to how you want them to be. But seeing other people as people who matter is something that you can always do, and is the best way to earn their trust and to influence their behavior. It doesn't work like magic, it requires repeated efforts and time, but you will notice a change in your mood almost immediately when you let go of all your resentments and start developing compassion for the people you work with. Just my 2 cents.

That was probably the best, and most clear concise advice i have been given around here. And your right, i have come to the conclusion that i can no longer work as a retail pharmacist. I am great at this and have been doing it for some time, but the field is dying. I have decided to let go of the anger and hostility (as best i can until im gone) and move on. My wife and i are pretty set financially and i can no longer dedicate my life to this profession for my love of it. Its a hard pill to swallow, but it's down now. I will be resigning in the coming months and moving back to my home state of Florida, where we have family, friends and support to start a business or pursue whatever endeavors we choose. sound good? i give up. The millenials can deal with this new wave of pharmacy. deal? lol

really? do you know of active lawsuits at this point and the reasons for them? im curious. thanks.

Yeah they never did declare Crack cocaine epidemic in the 80's now did they.... sad but true. Was an African American Problem that started in New York. I remember well.

I do 30-40 shots/day at WAGs. Me and my manager did 6 flu clinics last year on our own time without getting paid. This is the new reality. WM is just reverting to the means and getting closer to WAGs and the other 3 letter store. Believe it or not, this kind of treatment is normal for other non-WM pharmacists. I don't understand why all the complaining?

How do companies force you to do off site flu clinics? Who is cold calling to set these up?

How do companies force you to do off site flu clinics? Who is cold calling to set these up?

these contracts were set up a year or so ago by our old clinical service manager. We have to honor them. But 16 shots at a church is nothing. And i was asked if i could help do it and like the corporate yes man i am i said YES! Last time however. Nobody told me the clinic was at 7:30 A.M for gods sake. At least let me come in on my time ya know? it was my only day off this week! Honestly guys, i've had enough and seen enough of pharmacy. I'm retiring at 39....lol no joke. Making a tough life decision, but i will probably look back and thank myself. I simply cannot function under these stress levels and keep pretending we are all about "caring for patients and community....blah blah" its all about money at the end. People are still sicker than ever, we are doing no good other than helping the big chains line their pockets and make million dollar bonuses. im out you can have my spot.

Reactions: 3 users
these contracts were set up a year or so ago by our old clinical service manager. We have to honor them. But 16 shots at a church is nothing. And i was asked if i could help do it and like the corporate yes man i am i said YES! Last time however. Nobody told me the clinic was at 7:30 A.M for gods sake. At least let me come in on my time ya know? it was my only day off this week! Honestly guys, i've had enough and seen enough of pharmacy. I'm retiring at 39....lol no joke. Making a tough life decision, but i will probably look back and thank myself. I simply cannot function under these stress levels and keep pretending we are all about "caring for patients and community....blah blah" its all about money at the end. People are still sicker than ever, we are doing no good other than helping the big chains line their pockets and make million dollar bonuses. im out you can have my spot.

I was the RXM that had to make these cold calls to set up the clinic. Too bad pharmacy school didn't did have a class on the art of cold calling. Every year you get a list in your email of the top small business around your area, and you have 30 days to try and reach all these businesses. to get 5-10 clinics and they has to have atleast 20 -30 shots before you can get PAID or coverage. If not find a way to cut the hours.

39? I love it. haha. I'm a bit more ambitious, 35 for me. Let's hope bitcoin makes another run. lol

Has anyone heard Walmart decreased starting salary to $51 per hour? It was recently discussed on reddit.

confirmed, out here in colorado (western Rural), i manage. And , yes we are taking on HOURLY positions from 32--->65 hours/2 weeks at 50-55 (if your lucky), new grads are taken over loyal internals now mostly. This is also confirmed with all my pals in Florida , where i came from for this job. bummer man...Salaries are 100% dropping across the board bro

Your DM is not an effective leader. You can always contact the DEA on mandatory counseling. Sounds to me that they are trying to scare patient into purchasing narcan. Remember to document you interactions with DM.

They are being sued by states, counties, and townships.....along with the other major chains too. This is why they are doing this. They do not want any involvement with narcotics anymore. the profit is low in comparison to losing a lawsuit.

Guys,

1*yytOz0B3lfuwnhkmzOf8Jw.png