my hair is died purple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread happens every few months.

Here's your bottom line:

Regardless of reason, if you are groomed in what is considered a non-professional appearing manner, your chances of reaching your professional goal may be adversely affected. There is no upside for you in trying to buck a professional norm.

Posturing on the rightness of this situation is academic. The Catch 22 is that if you want a chance to affect the professional standard in the future, you must first join the profession and will likely need to meet the current standard. Again, your opinion on the matter does not affect the expectation placed on you.
I absolutely agree - to the point where you are catering to admissions officers and hiring admins. Many of the comments here, however, make it seem as if you have an obligation/responsibility to your patients not to dye your hair, and that wishing to do so is reckless and poor patient care.

Members don't see this ad.

It is my job to make information and options available to my patients. If they are narrow-minded enough to disregard information simply because I have a streak of blue in my hair, that is not my fault. There are some patients who would disregard my opinion because I am young, or because I am female. Should I only send in my older, male colleagues to them in order to maximize their compliance in light of their particular social biases?

Well you're a pre-med, so none of that is actually your job. It's not mine either, as I'm just an MS1.

Anyway, the part bolded is straight-up disgusting and irresponsible to me. You are in control of whether or not your hair is blue. Hopefully that attitude will leave you by the time you're responsible for actual patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Which specialty are you?

I know, at least when I see residents in the ER and ICU, their appearance is a little more relaxed. For example, I saw a resident with hair like this once before:
mens-long-hair.jpg

Probably why I always figured my hair would be fine, this thread is what got me nervous.

Trauma surgeons seem to be pretty wild too. I've seen ponytails on some of the older guys and an Asian girl with red highlights.

Emergency Medicine. Our male residents tend to have short hair and are cleanly shaven aside from...2(?) of them.

I would say our average male trauma attending has a haircut that would be acceptable for the military, aside from one gentleman in his 60s whose hair is slightly longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is my job to make information and options available to my patients. If they are narrow-minded enough to disregard information simply because I have a streak of blue in my hair, that is not my fault. There are some patients who would disregard my opinion because I am young, or because I am female. Should I only send in my older, male colleagues to them in order to maximize their compliance in light of their particular social biases?

As long as we limit things such as dyed hair only to those who are young and not yet in professional situations, we continue to reinforce and propagate the idea that that is where they belong. It is a self-fulfilling cycle. Break the chain, let it become something which is not unusual, and those conceptions will begin to fade. It will stop being an issue, and we can all move on and start arguing about whatever the next decade's version of hair dye is.

It will be your job to help patients navigate difficult decisions and at times guide them to the correct decision, not just make information and options available. Depending on specialty, you may sometimes make decisions for your patients.

You're not going to sell car stereos, you're going to sell life and death decisions.

The last decades version of this was hair dye, piercings, and tattoos.

Reactions: 4 users
Emergency Medicine. Our male residents tend to have short hair and are cleanly shaven aside from...2(?) of them.

I would say our average male trauma attending has a haircut that would be acceptable for the military, aside from one gentleman in his 60s whose hair is slightly longer.

That is so weird. What region do you live in? I live in New York and none of the doctors have military-style hair cuts. Off the top of my head, I can see my pediatrician has long hair and I see surgeons with long hair all the time.

I'm all for clean-shaven but I don't think super short hair is common, unless the doctor is balding or something.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen people throw out colleagues' advice in a sporting goods store because of their hair. It's petty and stupid and I don't agree with it. When selling some hiking boots, it's no big deal. When working as a physician? Not so much.
I'm not saying that it couldn't possibly be true. I'm honestly curious. I want to know if there have been any actual studies on the matter.

I don't understand the snark. There was a similar thread about attending interviews with tattoo sleeves, and nobody made fun of him. That strikes me as a double standard. If we're going off of my own personal biases, I wouldn't care much about purple hair tips, but I've never liked tattoos.

OP, I would suggest two options: 1) If your hair is long enough, tuck it into a bun. If you can still see purple, buy one of those rubber bands with hair on it to cover it. Or, 2) Cut off the purple tips and re-dye them when you get an acceptance you're happy with.
The initial snarkiness apparently represents how some ppl in this field (across multiple generations) feel about the colored hair. It's better that the OP hears this on sdn rather than in other settings.

Well you're a pre-med, so none of that is actually your job. It's not mine either, as I'm just an MS1.

Anyway, the part bolded is straight-up disgusting and irresponsible to me. You are in control of whether or not your hair is blue. Hopefully that attitude will leave you by the time you're responsible for actual patients.
So I have to pretend to be whoever the patient most respects? Should I pretend to be racist if it will make a racist patient listen to me better? Should I make fun of fatties with my patient if that's what they do and that attitude helps my patient maintain their ideal body weight? Where do we draw the line in our responsibility? What if my patients often have dyed hair and piercings and would prefer someone who more resembles their ideal, and not someone they consider uptight and out of touch? (not saying that's my stance on the typical professional look, just presenting a description I've heard frequently.) Conveniently, we seem to draw that line exactly where it fits in with the ideals of the admins...what a coincidence.

I draw it here: I am responsible for my actions, for educating my patients, and for making their options clear. They are responsible for which option they pursue.

It will be your job to help patients navigate difficult decisions and at times guide them to the correct decision, not just make information and options available. Depending on specialty, you may sometimes make decisions for your patients.

You're not going to sell car stereos, you're going to sell life and death decisions.

The last decades version of this was hair dye, piercings, and tattoos.
I will not do anything which is specifically intended to make them uncomfortable, and I will adjust my tone and presentation to best communicate with them. I will dress professionally when interacting with them. However, that does not mean that I feel obligated to let hypothetical concerns about their biases to dictate how I look outside the office as well.

So I have to pretend to be whoever the patient most respects? Should I pretend to be racist if it will make a racist patient listen to me better? Should I make fun of fatties with my patient if that's what they do and that attitude helps my patient maintain their ideal body weight? Where do we draw the line in our responsibility? What if my patients often have dyed hair and piercings and would prefer someone who more resembles their ideal, and not someone they consider uptight and out of touch? (not saying that's my stance on the typical professional look, just presenting a description I've heard frequently.) Conveniently, we seem to draw that line exactly where it fits in with the ideals of the admins...what a coincidence.

I draw it here: I am responsible for my actions, for educating my patients, and for making their options clear. They are responsible for which option they pursue. I will not do anything which is specifically intended to make them uncomfortable, and I will adjust my tone and presentation to best communicate with them. I will dress professionally when interacting with them. However, that does not mean that I feel obligated to let hypothetical concerns about their biases to dictate how I look outside the office as well.
Typical professional look does not include unnatural hair colors. As a premed/medical student/doctor, you should aim to embody professionalism. People are coming to you in their time of need. You dress and act professionally and you act in a serious manner because that is simply how these things are done.

If you wish to show up to your interview / job with colored hair, be my guest. It is a simple choice that you can make. Whether or not you choose to make it, that is up to you.

So I have to pretend to be whoever the patient most respects? Should I pretend to be racist if it will make a racist patient listen to me better? Should I make fun of fatties with my patient if that's what they do and that attitude helps my patient maintain their ideal body weight? Where do we draw the line in our responsibility?

At things that are reasonably expected. A professional, groomed appearance that is more in line with an educated adult than a rebellious teenager qualifies. "Making fun of fatties" not so much.

Typical professional look does not include unnatural hair colors. As a premed/medical student/doctor, you should aim to embody professionalism. People are coming to you in their time of need. You dress and act professionally and you act in a serious manner because that is simply how these things are done.

If you wish to show up to your interview / job with colored hair, be my guest. It is a simple choice that you can make. Whether or not you choose to make it, that is up to you.
If I was you (OP), I'd dye it naturally for interviews, and switch it back after you get in. No one is going to fire you straight away, I'd wait until a boss says something and then alter it if I got in trouble. If no one challenges it, keep it in I suppose.

If you aren't allowed it, wait until you are a full-fledged, well-respected doctor and then dye in purple. Become the trend-setter after you earned respect.

Yes, and clearly I will do so for interviews, that's not a question. That doesn't mean that the subject does not deserve to be discussed.
At things that are reasonably expected. A professional, groomed appearance that is more in line with an educated adult than a rebellious teenager qualifies. "Making fun of fatties" not so much.
To both of you: you can be dressed professionally and have your hair professionally styled and put together and still have color in it. 'Dyed' is not the opposite of 'groomed'.
The fact that we feel the need to reinforce and propagate baseless social biases is part of the problem. If people get used to seeing a bit of color here or there, it will stop being an issue after a while.

It seems more the other way around...med school adcoms and hospital admins don't like to hire doctors with colored hair, so most people don't see them. I've seen some med students and residents dye their hair after making it to where they are, and I've never seen the patients react negatively. However, they're few and far between, so nothing concrete, obviously. But really, how do we know how the patients would react if we only very rarely get the chance to see such a situation?
It's fine for a preclinical student who isn't seeing patients to have purple hair. In the same way that it's fine to wear torn jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops to class but not to clinic/on the wards, it's fine to wear purple hair to class, but not to clinic/on the wards. Once you hit third year, or once you start seeing patients if you go to one of the more progressive schools that let you start seeing patients earlier than that, it's time to look like the professional you are about to be.

*Especially* as a young female, you want to come across as professional and mature as possible. As you are obviously already aware, you have enough cards stacked against you to get people to take you seriously as someone who is young and female navigating through a world that is dominated by older males. Why add to your inherent disadvantages just to prove that you can? It will be a Pyrrhic victory for you at best. As a middle-aged female who used to be a young female, I'm telling you this is not a battle worth fighting.

And I already said before that *I*, as a patient, would not like to see a doctor with purple hair. I want to see a doctor who looks and acts like a doctor. Would I storm out of a purple-haired doctor's office in protest or write an angry letter to their supervisor? No. I just wouldn't go back to them, same as I've done every other time I haven't liked a doctor for whatever reason. I think that most people, like me, tend to vote with their feet...and their wallets.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, and clearly I will do so for interviews, that's not a question. That doesn't mean that the subject does not deserve to be discussed.

To both of you: you can be dressed professionally and have your hair professionally styled and put together and still have color in it. 'Dyed' is not the opposite of 'groomed'.
The fact that we feel the need to reinforce and propagate baseless social biases is part of the problem. If people get used to seeing a bit of color here or there, it will stop being an issue after a while.
Dyed hair simply does not look professional. To quote another forum user "It's along the same lines as someone who doesn't bother to iron their outfit or who carries a big stupid purse to an interview. It just says that you don't think ahead and/or you don't care. Or are immature enough to be idealistic to the point where you think that in real life, you won't be judged on such things. That's all fine and well, but the people who will be hiring you don't want to work with people like that. It's just a way of the world."

Sure, if you wish to start the trend of dyed hair looking professional, be my guest. All the more power to you. I simply think it is a very bad and mildly immature idea.

However, the baby boomers are prejudiced in this manner, and they still have a disproportionate influence on American society.

This reminds me of an old Pepsi commercial, and I know I'm dating myself with this. Probably most of you were in diapers when it came out. The baby boomers were hippies. The hippies became yuppies. What's perceived as socially acceptable at one age by one group is often rejected by that group as they age.

They can judge me all they want, that's not the concern. Will they still come to the doctor and get treated as they need to? If yes, they can mutter all they want (and honestly will probably get over it after we actually interact). Given how most offices/clinics work, they'll probably not know about my hair until they're in the room, so then if they don't walk out on principle, the hair is really a nonissue.

In a normal office practice it is unlikely that your patients would say anything to you about brightly dyed hair because people generally don't want to be rude. The question is, would they come back after that first visit? Or would they ask to be seen by a different doctor after that initial visit? There are very few situations where a patient doesn't have the option of seeing someone else. The ED is one. I've seen a lot of doctors with tats in the ED, for what that's worth.

Among others, the comment someone made about medical schools still being around once OP grows up was unnecessary.

I'll give you that one.

As long as we limit things such as dyed hair only to those who are young and not yet in professional situations, we continue to reinforce and propagate the idea that that is where they belong. It is a self-fulfilling cycle. Break the chain, let it become something which is not unusual, and those conceptions will begin to fade. It will stop being an issue, and we can all move on and start arguing about whatever the next decade's version of hair dye is.

Equating gender and age biases with what color you choose to dye your hair is ridiculous. They are not even close to the same thing. Sadly, you are going to deal with age bias for some time, and with gender bias forever. Neither you have any control over. If someone argues next that their right to wear a wifebeater and booty shorts (male or female) to examine their patients is a matter of great societal concern and discrimination because of conservative "higher-ups" I might lose my mind.

I'm not saying that it couldn't possibly be true. I'm honestly curious. I want to know if there have been any actual studies on the matter.

Yep. Here's a couple in the 2 seconds it took me to google some random terms. I'm sure there are more if you search PubMed.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1322253/
http://www.sirirajmedj.com/content.php?content_id=2704

This argument can be applied to pretty much any aspect of your appearance. Wear torn-up jeans, shave one half of your head, cover yourself with piercings. If people get used to seeing it, it'll stop being an issue after a while. No sense reinforcing and propagating "baseless social biases."

This is..... not well-considered. It's not reinforcing social biases, it's conforming to the social expectations and norms of your service profession.

That is so weird. What region do you live in? I live in New York and none of the doctors have military-style hair cuts. Off the top of my head, I can see my pediatrician has long hair and I see surgeons with long hair all the time.

I'm all for clean-shaven but I don't think super short hair is common, unless the doctor is balding or something.
The difference is real: some places just don't tolerate longer hair. Our department had a rule about it and I know many others do as well.

However for you, you can't compare apples (med school applicants) and oranges (physicians). It's fine to have longer hair once you have the job (assuming there aren't any local biases against it); many students and residents grow their hair longer only to cut it again for fellowship and job interviews. I'll bet all those longer haired surgical residents you see had shorter hair for interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
*Especially* as a young female, you want to come across as professional and mature as possible. As you are obviously already aware, you have enough cards stacked against you to get people to take you seriously as someone who is young and female navigating through a world that is dominated by older males. Why add to your inherent disadvantages just to prove that you can? It will be a Pyrrhic victory for you at best. As a middle-aged female who used to be a young female, I'm telling you this is not a battle worth fighting.

And I already said before that *I*, as a patient, would not like to see a doctor with purple hair. I want to see a doctor who looks and acts like a doctor. Would I storm out of a purple-haired doctor's office in protest or write an angry letter to their supervisor? No. I just wouldn't go back to them, same as I've done every other time I haven't liked a doctor for whatever reason. I think that most people, like me, tend to vote with their feet...and their wallets.

@QofQuimica--you wrote faster than I, lol

This argument can be applied to pretty much any aspect of your appearance. Wear torn-up jeans, shave one half of your head, cover yourself with piercings. If people get used to seeing it, it'll stop being an issue after a while. No sense reinforcing and propagating "baseless social biases."

This is..... not well-considered. It's not reinforcing social biases, it's conforming to the social expectations and norms of your service profession.
One of them is the preparation you put into on a daily basis for your specific job. If I am going into the office, I will wear professional clothing.
The other dictates your appearance both in and out of the office.

One is a decision you make for your patients, because it affects you only during the time you are working. The other is a decision you should make for you, because it affects you 24/7.

One of them is the preparation you put into on a daily basis for your specific job. If I am going into the office, I will wear professional clothing.
The other dictates your appearance both in and out of the office.

One is a decision you make for your patients, because it affects you only during the time you are working. The other is a decision you should make for you, because it affects you 24/7.

This is a rather subtle distinction that will be 100% lost by patients and colleagues who are put off by such an appearance.

Yep. Here's a couple in the 2 seconds it took me to google some random terms. I'm sure there are more if you search PubMed.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1322253/
http://www.sirirajmedj.com/content.php?content_id=2704
I personally struggle to consider either of these studies a true representation of how patients react to doctors who have a more unusual look, such as dyed hair or piercings.

The main reason that I feel these studies are flawed is because they both assume that the ONLY way the patient will judge any doctor is by their appearance - that all other facets of the physicians (including experience, personality, bedside manner, type of communication, etc) will be ignored, which is very unlikely to be true, and I think it's a little ridiculous to argue that no patient would ever consider those factors when choosing a doctor.

Basically, these studies are saying if your ONLY way to choose a doctor was based on appearance, which would you choose? This is a flawed method as this is not the only way to choose your doctor. If I were one of the subjects in those studies, I probably would choose the more professionally dressed doctor, as based on the ONLY information presented (their appearance) the more professionally dressed doctor would be the logical choice. In practice, however, my favorite doctor is a male with long hair, has both his ears pierced, and wears khakis and hiking boots to appointments. Definitely NOT the professional appearance that most would expect, however I don't care what he looks like, because he has the experience, personality, bedside manner, and communication that I want.

This is a rather subtle distinction that will be 100% lost by patients and colleagues who are put off by such an appearance.
You have a shockingly low opinion of the intelligence of most people, then. If someone shows up to a meeting with you in torn jeans, that is clearly a reflection on their preparation for this interaction. However, few people take others' hairstyles personally, even if they dislike it or judge the person for the color.

Besides, even if nobody else is capable of recognizing the distinction, it stands that there is a difference between the two categories for the wearer, so perhaps they ought to be treated differently as well.

If your hair is well-groomed, it can look professional even with color in it. It can still show a clear effort to be professional and organized, without compromising your freedom outside of the workplace.

You have a shockingly low opinion of the intelligence of most people, then. If someone shows up to a meeting with you in torn jeans, that is clearly a reflection on their preparation for this interaction. However, few people take others' hairstyles personally, even if they dislike it or judge the person for the color.

Besides, even if nobody else is capable of recognizing the distinction, it stands that there is a difference between the two categories for the wearer, so perhaps they ought to be treated differently as well.

If your hair is well-groomed, it can look professional even with color in it. It can still show a clear effort to be professional and organized, without compromising your freedom outside of the workplace.

I never said a single word about "most people." You might benefit from reviewing what has been said in the thread.

That's not true. Hair and teeth are two of the things individuals noticed first, and often what people form their opinions off of. If you saw someone with a Mohawk, I can almost guarantee you the average person is going to form an opinion on them based off of that, without knowing anything else about the individual.

That's not true. Hair and teeth are two of the things individuals noticed first, and often what people form their opinions off of. If you saw someone with a Mohawk, I can almost guarantee you the average person is going to form an opinion on them based off of that, without knowing anything else about the individual.
They judge you, sure. I don't deny that.
However, wearing messy clothing is often taken as a direct, personal sign of disrespect. Hair is more often used to judge the wearer, not the observer.

I never said a single word about "most people." You might benefit from reviewing what has been said in the thread.
If it only impacts a few people, well, my weight or my skin color or my accent probably does as much. The sleep lines under my eyes one day will do the same.

You can't mold yourself into someone who nobody ever finds objectionable.

They judge you, sure. I don't deny that.
However, wearing messy clothing is often taken as a direct, personal sign of disrespect. Hair is more often used to judge the wearer, not the observer.
Would you show up with a Mohawk to court? This is no different than showing up to a hospital with colored hair. In both situations, you are supposed to appear outwardly professional. Unfortunately at this point in time, colored hair in all but a few singular instances has not been deemed professional.

If it only impacts a few people, well, my weight or my skin color or my accent probably does as much. The sleep lines under my eyes one day will do the same.

No, you cannot. But you can minimize the amount of things they will find objectionable about you. You cannot change your weight or skin color or accent (within reason, for all of these). You can change the color of your hair.

Would you show up with a Mohawk to court? This is no different than showing up to a hospital with colored hair. In both situations, you are supposed to appear outwardly professional. Unfortunately at this point in time, colored hair in all but a few singular instances has not been deemed professional.
No, the court analogy parallels showing up to an interview with a mohawk, not the hospital.
However, the mohawk is how you groom your hair - you can have it cut for a hawk and yet wear it down and professional in professional contexts.

No, you cannot. But you can minimize the amount of things they will find objectionable about you. You cannot change your weight or skin color or accent (within reason, for all of these). You can change the color of your hair.
Where do you draw the line between what is reasonable to expect people to change for themselves personally and what is not? Your 'within reason' is exactly the point...this is all a judgement call.

Again, your job is not to be seen as entirely unobjectionable anyway. Your job is to be respectful and to practice medicine.

No, the court analogy parallels showing up to an interview with a mohawk, not the hospital.
However, the mohawk is how you groom your hair - you can have it cut for a hawk and yet wear it down and professional in professional contexts.
I am speaking from the perspective in which the individual is acting as a lawyer.

Ultimately, the choice you make is the choice you make. I have nothing but support for you in whatever choice that is, however, with that said, I think you would be better off listening to the advice that many people have provided thus far: it's simply not a good idea.

Lordy, lordy, look who's forty....

Edit: when that commercial you posted came out, I thought 40 was old. Of course, I was a college kid in 1994.

Me, too. The weirdest part of turning 40 this year is realizing my mom was a widow at 41. At the time I was 18 and she seemed, well, old to me. And now I'm 40 with 3 kids of my own and contemplating that with a "Oh hell...well that really really REALLY sucked for her. Because she was really young." Way beyond my capacity to really understand at 18, anyway.

I personally struggle to consider either of these studies a true representation of how patients react to doctors who have a more unusual look, such as dyed hair or piercings.

The main reason that I feel these studies are flawed is because they both assume that the ONLY way the patient will judge any doctor is by their appearance - that all other facets of the physicians (including experience, personality, bedside manner, type of communication, etc) will be ignored, which is very unlikely to be true, and I think it's a little ridiculous to argue that no patient would ever consider those factors when choosing a doctor.

Basically, these studies are saying if your ONLY way to choose a doctor was based on appearance, which would you choose? This is a flawed method as this is not the only way to choose your doctor. If I were one of the subjects in those studies, I probably would choose the more professionally dressed doctor, as based on the ONLY information presented (their appearance) the more professionally dressed doctor would be the logical choice. In practice, however, my favorite doctor is a male with long hair, has both his ears pierced, and wears khakis and hiking boots to appointments. Definitely NOT the professional appearance that most would expect, however I don't care what he looks like, because he has the experience, personality, bedside manner, and communication that I want.

No one is saying that doctors with purple hair or tats are worse doctors or somehow less intelligent or any of those things. We're talking about first impressions. There are many ways to choose a doctor, and many things that make a great doctor.

Think of Tinder for a second. When you swipe left or right, are you judging this person based on the totality of their personality?? Are you judging them based on how bright they are? How much they might bring to the table in a relationship? No--it's a purely "first impression appearance" judgment. First impressions matter. You can say they shouldn't--and a lot of commenters on this thread have made arguments for why hair color or tats shouldn't matter--and that's fine. But people/patients make lots of subtle judgments about their physician based on things that don't have to do with anybody's intelligence or ability to doctor well. Everyone can make their "Fight the power" arguments, but in the end, first impressions DO matter.

I am speaking from the perspective in which the individual is acting as a lawyer.

Ultimately, the choice you make is the choice you make. I have nothing but support for you in whatever choice that is, however, with that said, I think you would be better off listening to the advice that many people have provided thus far: it's simply not a good idea.
I already stated several times that I would do so for an interview, and in fact, my hair has always been very conservative and normal with the exception of one spring break in college.

That's not the point. There is more to the discussion than 'adcoms do not like it so do not bother questioning whether that is appropriate'. Just because that is the way something is doesn't mean that's how things should be.

Me, too. The weirdest part of turning 40 this year is realizing my mom was a widow at 41. At the time I was 18 and she seemed, well, old to me. And now I'm 40 with 3 kids of my own and contemplating that with a "Oh hell...well that really really REALLY sucked for her. Because she was really young." Way beyond my capacity to really understand at 18, anyway.

No one is saying that doctors with purple hair or tats are worse doctors or somehow less intelligent or any of those things. We're talking about first impressions. There are many ways to choose a doctor, and many things that make a great doctor.

Think of Tinder for a second. When you swipe left or right, are you judging this person based on the totality of their personality?? Are you judging them based on how bright they are? How much they might bring to the table in a relationship? No--it's a purely "first impression appearance" judgment. First impressions matter. You can say they shouldn't--and a lot of commenters on this thread have made arguments for why hair color or tats shouldn't matter--and that's fine. But people/patients make lots of subtle judgments about their physician based on things that don't have to do with anybody's intelligence or ability to doctor well. Everyone can make their "Fight the power" arguments, but in the end, first impressions DO matter.
Matter for what? I'm not trying to get in my patients' pants. If a few of my patients are that uncomfortable with it, they can request a different doctor. That's fine - not all relationships are meant to work out. I've left doctors for far more subtle reasons (despite their professional hair).

Last edited:
That's not the point. There is more to the discussion than 'adcoms do not like it so do not bother questioning whether that is appropriate'. Just because that is the way something is doesn't mean that's how things should be.

Then knock yourself out with the hair and tats and let us know how that goes for you.

Reactions: 5 users

I am not arguing that first impressions do not matter. I think you're misunderstanding my point.

I'm arguing that I have a feeling that first impressions regarding a less "traditional" professional appearance matter a lot less than we think when you place that in perspective with all the other factors a patient wants to see in their doctor.

Could I be wrong? Of course. I would, however, be very interested to see a study in this matter. I do hold on to my suspicion that many patients would react like I did with my favorite doctor - a bit of surprise at their appearance at first, but end up not caring as long as the other factors they want are there.

But you can mold yourself into a professional that can maximize the amount of good you do for your patients. That can include losing weight if necessary, just as it can include cutting your hair, dressing professionally, learning to enunciate clearly, using proper grammar, etc. None of this may have a direct effect on your knowledge or ability to diagnose or treat disease.

But you can mold yourself into a professional that can maximize the amount of good you do for your patients. That can include losing weight if necessary, just as it can include cutting your hair, dressing professionally, learning to enunciate clearly, using proper grammar, etc. None of this may have a direct effect on your knowledge or ability to diagnose or treat disease.
So now you advocate that all docs should lose weight to better relate to their patients?

Again, what about those who are more comfortable with a doc who has dyed hair? Do we not care about their comfort?

Wow, you do not listen at all.

I'm imagining you saying that to your patient some day while they are mesmerized by your candy-colored hair.

So now you advocate that all docs should lose weight to better relate to their patients?

Again, what about those who are more comfortable with a doc who has dyed hair? Do we not care about their comfort?

Not unless all docs are morbidly obese.

I think that the number of people who are put off by someone with blue hair far outnumber people who are put off by someone without blue hair. If you have data to the contrary, or want to run/work in a practice that specifically targets such people, that's a different story.

I do hold on to my suspicion that many patients would react like I did with my favorite doctor - a bit of surprise at their appearance at first, but end up not caring as long as the other factors they want are there.

You could certainly be right about this. The couple of studies I peeked at basically were "which do you prefer" which assigned positive and negative points to different aspects of doctor's appearance--they didn't examine whether or not a patient would reject a doctor based on these criteria alone. It would be interesting to know how much of a hurdle that first impression is to overcome.

Doctors in a private practice whose patients have the autonomy to choose their physician can dress and behave any way they want. They can be nude if that's what their patients will tolerate.
Doctors in training usually have patients with little autonomy. One of the few things we can do to assure them of our sensitivity to their hope of professionalism is to dress and behave in a way that does not increase distrust.
The honor of caring for the disenfranchised requires more of us, not less.

Reactions: 9 users
You could certainly be right about this. The couple of studies I peeked at basically were "which do you prefer" which assigned positive and negative points to different aspects of doctor's appearance--they didn't examine whether or not a patient would reject a doctor based on these criteria alone. It would be interesting to know how much of a hurdle that first impression is to overcome.
This is what I meant, but did not explain well at all, by my comment that it didn't matter unless people walked out of the office upon seeing blue hair. Yes, there is an initial judgement, but because the patient is already in the office with you and speaking to you, I feel that the rest of the office visit would be more important.

I had an interesting conversation with a clinic patient the other day, where she told a story about the doctor who had told her that she likely had breast cancer. She initially distrusted them because of their young age, but after seeing the results and having things explained so well, she was surprised at how good of a physician that doctor was, and told us (I quote) "I decided to never judge a doctor by how young they look again, so don't worry that you look like you're twenty"

Don't worry, medical schools will still exist when you grow up.

wow, i really sparked something.
i should mention, i've already been interviewing with a blonde streak that wasn't terribly noticeable but definitely present, and still managed to finagle an acceptance or two.

still, i know purple hair doesn't scream professionalism. I kinda needed a snarky comment to push me in the right direction.

Doctors in a private practice whose patients have the autonomy to choose their physician can dress and behave any way they want. They can be nude if that's what their patients will tolerate.
Doctors in training usually have patients with little autonomy. One of the few things we can do to assure them of our sensitivity to their hope of professionalism is to dress and behave in a way that does not increase distrust.
Right, because people automatically find you sensitive if your hair is brown and in a bowl cut.

Threads like these repeatedly give me the impression that doctors spend more time imagining patient reactions and opinions than actually listening to them.

Right, because people automatically find you sensitive if your hair is brown and in a bowl cut.

Threads like these repeatedly give me the impression that doctors spend more time imagining patient reactions and opinions than actually listening to them.
I have spent my entire adult life listening to my patients and the patients of my residents and students. I am speaking now for them, not the "establishment."
I really don't care how you dress or what color you dye your hair. This is America, after all. Go for it.
I will care, however if you are assigned to my service to care for our patients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users