My impressions of MCAT 2015 (Sept 23 test date)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tluedeke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have to be careful here and not violate my agreements, but I think I can come up with my impressions of the exam and suggestions for study without doing so. Haven't received my test scores yet (next week), but I have a reasonably good idea where it'll land.

I had always planned to retake in 2016, since I was so late taking the exam that I've plenty of time to prepare. I did a dry run on the old MCAT, but it was before I'd taken organic chemistry and biochemistry, and I never did intend to score it. However, it gives me some thoughts on the changes in the exam between pre-2015 and post-2015.

Overall:

Maybe a bit easier than I expected. Biological sciences and psych/socio sections were quite difficult I thought, although that was due to gaps in my preparation and my unusual background.

Biochemistry was easier than I thought, although I was well prepared in that area. Experimental passages caught me off guard .... I didn't prepare sufficiently for those.

CAR was basically as it has always been, perhaps a bit tougher, although the section is very long and mentally fatiguing when dealing with additional difficult passages.

Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems:

As I remember another SDN post stated "Hello, biochemistry!". Biochem wound its way through most of the exam, and may be the single most important topic in the new MCAT (which makes sense since it underlies everything). Passages were of moderate difficulty, with only one I found pretty nasty. As others have pointed out, you'd damn well better know your amino acids (including properties, classifications, and both one- and three-letter acronyms. Know them like the back of your hand.

Also as others have noted, it is very important to understand common biochemical and biological experimental techniques and how to use/interpret them. This was a problem for me as an older non-trad, since I've had to rush my pre-med prep, and haven't had time for full lab classes due to my career as an engineer. It also wasn't covered particularly well either in my biochem class, and certainly not in the Kaplan MCAT prep material. The organic chemistry was germane as well - know the basic types of reactions that form the basis for biochemistry (e.g. condensations, redox).

I found it surprising that there wasn't more metabolism type of passages/questions, although it quite possibly was just an anomalous exam. For metabolism, I spent a huge amount of time in the weeds going through details, but apparently not enough looking at the big picture (how the cycles are all interconnected, by what compounds, and how are the pieces regulated. I was impressed that the test aimed more at an understanding of the concepts, rather than just memorizing the hell out of everything.

There were a couple of extremely difficult passages that I really struggled with. When scientists write up extraordinarily awful papers on experiments, they seem to end up on the MCAT. :)

Chemical and Physical Foundations:

Again, I was impressed with the changes in the exam. No more stupid blocks sliding down planes or orbital mechanics. Physics was de-emphasized, and what was left was much more biologically applied than before. The usually high yield topics (E&M, basic mechanics/forces, gas laws, optics, circuits) still apply (for obvious reasons - they matter a lot).

Chemistry was more or less the same as before. Same high yield topics (solutions, electrochem, acids/bases, reaction dynamics, periodic table behavior, redox reactions, experimental techniques).

Critical Analysis and Reasoning:

Much the same as before. But the additional length means an additional nasty, boring, horribly written passage on humanities. Not to mention the mental fatigue of the additional length and required intense concentration, and the fact it was (at least for me) the third section - I didn't get to it for three hours or more).

Like with disastrously written biology technical papers, I wonder if they pay somebody to write insipid, disorganized, and obtuse essays in self-congratulatory, turgid prose, regarding topics nobody cares about (including the author). All so they can end up on the MCAT.

Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations:

I'd read a lot of opinions that this section tended to be quite difficult, and it was. I was not prepared sufficiently for this section, and I don't anticipate a good score (unless y'all botched it as bad as I did).

Unfortunately, it was the one section that I found profoundly disappointing in terms of the MCAT committee. If I'd just memorized all the obsolescent/historical schools and their founder's names in most major sub-areas of psych/socio (e.g emotion, cognitive development, etc), I'd have been well prepared. It seemed to be a test of whether you knew the slang and history more than anything else. An opportunity lost by the MCAT people, because it is important, and things have changed a lot since the 19th century people first came up with explanations. They test you on theories that nobody in those fields has paid any attention to in a half a century.

The preparation material (I used Kaplan MCAT prep) was horrible in psych/socio, and even completely missed some important areas (notably experimental design). As others have noted, read Myers or some other standard intro psych/socio book to prepare, then dump names/schools/theories into Anki and memorize, memorize, memorize. Don't forget how experimental studies are set up, conducted, and assessed. That topic is even frequently omitted in major psych/socio textbooks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How was CARS your third section? I thought it was always B/B, CARS, C/P, P/S in that order

Members don't see this ad :)
Guessing they just wrote it out of order. AAMC never gives the sections out in a different order.

I don't think CARS passages are always boring. They can be dense but only because they try to intimidate you. They are usually on random topics. But that's not a bad thing. Each passage can actually teach you something. Try to read a CARS passage while constantly asking yourself whether or not you agree with the author on the point they are trying to make. This will not only make it easier the comprehend, but enjoyable. If you are reading to get the "facts" you will get bogged down and frustrated. The MCAT does not want you to simply regurgitate what you read. They want to see whether or not you understand what the author is arguing.

I suggest pretending you're speaking to a professor that you don't agree all the time. But your professor is the only one speaking. CARS passages can be really informative on topics you might have not studied or read about. So go into CARS with a positive, learning attitude in which you have the power to agree or disagree about what they say.

Reactions: 1 users
I also took the exam on September 23rd and I'm waiting anxiously for my score, but here's the thing, there's actually more than version of the exam that was administered on the 23rd and for the version that I had, it was different than your version. For C/P, Physics was really overemphasized which I wasn't really expecting in addition to very complex discrete orgo question so that was very tough as well. I ended up running out of time fort hat section and then I had to blindly guess on 10 questions, so that's what's killing me the most. I'm applying to DO so I'm praying that I get at least 125 :/ CARS was okay, there were just two passages which I wasn't really conformable with, but I still though it was much better than C/P even though CARS is my weakest section. Bio is usually my strongest section, so I felt that section was actually a breeze on the exam. P/S wasn't too bad as well, there were two passages as well that I wasn't comfortable with. I don't know what to expect at this point, I just want to crack at least a 500 on this exam, so we'll see. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anything else your really felt like Kaplan left out or missed the mark on in terms of content?

I don't think CARS passages are always boring. They can be dense but only because they try to intimidate you. They are usually on random topics. But that's not a bad thing. Each passage can actually teach you something. Try to read a CARS passage while constantly asking yourself whether or not you agree with the author on the point they are trying to make. This will not only make it easier the comprehend, but enjoyable. If you are reading to get the "facts" you will get bogged down and frustrated. The MCAT does not want you to simply regurgitate what you read. They want to see whether or not you understand what the author is arguing.

I suggest pretending you're speaking to a professor that you don't agree all the time. But your professor is the only one speaking. CARS passages can be really informative on topics you might have not studied or read about. So go into CARS with a positive, learning attitude in which you have the power to agree or disagree about what they say.

is there an MCAT 2015 (Sept 23 test date) official thread?

I also took the exam on September 23rd and I'm waiting anxiously for my score, but here's the thing, there's actually more than version of the exam that was administered on the 23rd and for the version that I had, it was different than your version. For C/P, Physics was really overemphasized which I wasn't really expecting in addition to very complex discrete orgo question so that was very tough as well. I ended up running out of time fort hat section and then I had to blindly guess on 10 questions, so that's what's killing me the most. I'm applying to DO so I'm praying that I get at least 125 :/ CARS was okay, there were just two passages which I wasn't really conformable with, but I still though it was much better than C/P even though CARS is my weakest section. Bio is usually my strongest section, so I felt that section was actually a breeze on the exam. P/S wasn't too bad as well, there were two passages as well that I wasn't comfortable with. I don't know what to expect at this point, I just want to crack at least a 500 on this exam, so we'll see. I wish you the best of luck.

Wow that is exactly how I felt, verbatim. What was your AAMC FL score if you don't mind me asking?