Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

My technician compounded an IV with 2 different manufacturers

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Saydali, 11.17.09.

1. Saydali

Saydali R&DtoRPh

Pharmacist
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    It was a 2 gm Ancef in 100 mL NS. She used 2 different manufacturers (6 x 1gm vials)
    My concern is that I don't know which bag has which manufacturer? So in case of an adverse event, I would rather track the bag to one manufacturer.
    What do you guy think? Should I just use the bags or have her remake them with one manufacturer per bag !?
  2. PharmDstudent

PharmDstudent

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Just write both of the manufacturers on the bag. Simple as that... Why is this even an issue? :confused:
  3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl brr

Pharmacist
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    You wouldn't know which lot the "bad" drug came from with the same manufacturer either.
  4. Saydali

Saydali R&DtoRPh

Pharmacist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Good point .. but in general what we have in stock at one point is from the same lot. But at least we can limit the liability in case of a bad lot with one manufacturer.

Let's say there is an adverse reaction due the drug. The patient's die or get injured, then the hospital is sued. It would be easier to track the issue to one manufacturer, than having the IV antibiotic made with 2 different manufacturers and not knowing what manufacturer caused the problem!?
  5. Ackj

Ackj

Pharmacist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Why did you have two different manufacturers? Was there a change in formulary? I'd assume you would stock only one type normally.

Also, were the two manufacturers' products going into the same bag? It seems like that might be less than kosher due to a possible difference in excipients, but I'm not really experienced on that (only a p1).
  6. try_infrared

try_infrared Junior Member

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you're that worried about it, chuck them and re-do it. At least it's only Ancef and not something more expensive.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal