My wicked sick PAT tutorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sama951

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, because I have an english midterm tomorrow that I don't want to study for, and because there's 600 posts about how impossible TFE is, and also because I'm good at TFE and feel like being a hero, I'm gonna make a little tutorial where I post a couple of them and talk you through the answer! After I do that, you can scan/post any other ones you want and I'll do my best to explain them. I don't use any weird strategies, I just look at the lines and visualize it in 3D. The tips and tricks you hear about might help narrow it down in some cases but if you can visualize it properly you'll be able to get every question every time.

Oh and excuse the fact that there's writing all over my examples, haha.

Ok first one..
Original.jpg

Alright this is a good example for explaining what solid and dashed lines mean.

I assume everyone knows what the different views represent... If not then think of it this way... Imagine a person looking into a camera lens.

A straight up mugshot of the person's face is a "Front" view. Now if you take the camera and move it up, then pivot it and aim it downwards, you've got a "Top" view. Now for the end view, take the camera and put it back in front of the person's face...then you'd take a side-shot of the person's left cheek (but since you're the camera man and you're facing them, you're moving the camera to your right side).

Ok great.

First, looking at the top view, you have one solid line that goes all the way across, from left to right. That means that from a side view, you're only going to have one change in height. Now remember that a straight line like that can mean a straight up drop in height, or it can mean there's a slope with a gradual decline. Looking at all the answers though, it's pretty obvious that we're not looking at any slopes. However, every one of the answers has a single drop in elevation on the top part, so that little bit of information isn't going to narrow it down too dramatically. But... dun dun dun.. look at choice C. Choice C does have a drop in elevation at the top, which is what we decided we're looking for, but it's got the drop at the position of one of the dashed lines (you can tell by the position and thickness of the notch). That's bad! I'm sure this is a trap some people fall into, but yeah, don't. Look at "Fig 1" to see which solid line I'm talking about and where it corresponds to a drop in height in each of the answers (green). Red line = danger = don't fricken do it. Dashed lines do not represent any changes in elevation on the surface they appear on (did that make sense?). Dashed lines are there to show you that there's some kind of height difference deeper into the object, or on the other side all together (what I mean is, it could be a hole that passes through the middle of the object, I'll explain more later if I find an example)

Fig 1
Fig1.jpg

On to the dashed lines we go.

So we've got three horizontal dashed lines on the top view. That means that somewhere in the object, you've got at least 3 extra "walls" (you'll see why I say 'at least' in a second). In other words, there's some kind of height change somewhere that isnt visible from the top. Based on the relative positions of the lines, you'll be able to figure out where the 'height' differences are supposed to be.

Let's compare this to the answer choices. Choice A has 3 walls that you cant see from the top view, D has 4. However, look at the orange line in Fig 2 with the question mark. This wall is lined up perfectly with the blue height change that we discussed above. Because of this, its dashed lines won't show up in the top view (for no reason other than the fact that if you draw a solid line on top of a dashed line...you get a solid line :D).

All the walls are spaced apart proportionally to the dashed lines in the top view of the original figure in A and D. Look at B though, it only has 2 of these "walls" that we established you couldn't see from the top. Look at Fig 2. Green = good, red = bad, blue = done, orange = tricky POS.

Fig 2
Fig2.jpg

Great, so we've narrowed it down to A or D. We've done about all we can do with the top view so let's go to the front view. Here we've got 2 solid lines, so from a head-on view, there's 2 height changes. From everything I've said so far about the top view, this should be really easy to figure out, so I'm just gonna include a final figure (green = solid lines and what they correspond with, blue = stuff we already talked about, red = why D is wrong, and orange = dashed lines and what they correspond to)

Notice also how high up the notches go in D, I've highlighted them in red. You should notice that these are way, way higher up than the dashed lines on the front view, so that's another way to eliminate it.

Fig 3
Fig3.jpg

Alright so after all that we can safely conclude that the answer is indeed C.

Just kidding...:rolleyes:.......It's A.

So yeah, that took way longer than I thought it would and I'm thinking it might have been too simple of an example to be helpful... I hope it helps someone though. If someone can find a really hard one they want me to go through post it here.

Oh crap.. exam tomorrow:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
If someone can find a really hard one they want me to go through post it here.

Oh crap.. exam tomorrow:scared:

Hi there! I can't figure out how the answer is the answer that is in the solutions for these three. Could you walk me through it? It's attached below as a word doc. Thanks much!

Attachments

• PAT Challenge.docx
    76.9 KB · Views: 484
Members don't see this ad :)
im sorry but i really dont understand how this can be C and not D... the top view seems to show that this is D

I'm not certain, but perhaps it's C because if you look at it from the side, the indentation (cut off portion) is visible and same goes for the none indented portion surrounding it so it has to be indicated by a solid horizontal line as shown in D. The dotted center line shown in C suggests that we cannot see it, which wouldn't be true.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, this might be a dumb question, but none of the pictures in this thread are showing up in my browser.

Anybody know why that might be? I tried it in both internet explorer as well as firefox.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

I'm not certain, but perhaps it's C because if you look at it from the side, the indentation (cut off portion) is visible and same goes for the none indented portion surrounding it so it has to be indicated by a solid horizontal line as shown in D. The dotted center line shown in C suggests that we cannot see it, which wouldn't be true.

but the indent goes "straight" down... in otherwards a flat wall, or plane. You can see the solid line till the point of the cut out... the dotted line represents the otherside that you cant see. I dont understand how that its C when there is nothing there to give it a solid line. If you look at the top view its cut out on the right side in that square "U"shape. Again I feel the front view just confirms that the cutout goes perfectly straight through. so it would make a "flat" wall. Unless my concept of solid lines is wrong I dont get this. We are talking about the right side of the box... show me the line on the top and front views that represent the solid line on the side view please.... Ive been struggling with this for days.

yup I'm 100% sure; if the structure didn't have to be continuous, how would you know whether or not to count a "hidden" block like the one in this example!

Just remember that being connected at the corner = not continuous and you'll always be able to tell when there has to be a block in areas where your view is obstructed. If the structure is continuous without there being a block there, you assume that there isn't one.

Great thread! I was just looking through and thought I should mention I got a "hidden block" figure on my DAT yesterday. There was nothing above it so I assumed there was no block there and hoped it was right. But I wound up with way more cubes than the answer would allow, so I knew I had to recount with a block in place. I got a 30 on my PAT so pretty sure this is right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys quick question.

1) For Pattern Folding do you have to fold into the screen?

2) Is there illusions on the real DAT for Cube Counting as there is in CDATPAT?

thanks!

but the indent goes "straight" down... in otherwards a flat wall, or plane. You can see the solid line till the point of the cut out... the dotted line represents the otherside that you cant see. I dont understand how that its C when there is nothing there to give it a solid line. If you look at the top view its cut out on the right side in that square "U"shape. Again I feel the front view just confirms that the cutout goes perfectly straight through. so it would make a "flat" wall. Unless my concept of solid lines is wrong I dont get this. We are talking about the right side of the box... show me the line on the top and front views that represent the solid line on the side view please.... Ive been struggling with this for days.

I agreed with you. The correct answer is D!!!

Anybody correct me if i'm wrong on this but here goes:

FrontView.jpg

The way you can find the answer is mainly from the top view. For the right side you know it's slanted because the slant forms a rectangle whereas a vertical cut would not lead to a rectangle. I drew a 3D back view to let you see what I mean.

Same goes for the top left box. If the answer were D, the top view would look like the picture I put up above D.

As for A vs. B, the only difference is squares vs. circles and from what I can tell, the square's length is bigger than the corresponding lengths in the top and end views, so the protrusions must be circular/cylindrical.

I am very impressive about your explanation. For A vs B, you cant tell the difference of the the square's length and the diameter of circles. Just look at the positions of squares and compare them with the positions in the top view, you can eliminate B.:)

With all due respect bro, you have like 1 or 2 answers wrong i think!!.. for ex. Doc3.zip.. the reason its not D is when you flip the figure; the gun way you were talking about, you might have a part coming off on the top left, but how could you tell the other one on the side you can't see is taken away too, the other perfect part of the figure that doesn't have ups or downs is connected to the shape all the way and isn't below or isn't above... also we can't see that, but what i'm saying is you might be right, i'm thinking E since on part is slightly thicker than the other.
Also on dropappump question i just can't see how the answer is A, abviously like you said we can't see the back side but with A lookin like a blade shape doesn't (go through) i'm thinking answer c looks pretty cute to me man!!
i apperciate your hard work though..

I recently took the DAT a month ago and after practicing using CRACK DAT and Kaplan my score really really sucked! I'm trying to score at least a 20 next time around and this thread has been very helpful. However T/F/E remains to be the worst section for me. I'm averaging b/w 6-9 questions. :( Could anyone please help me translate these dashed and solid lines?

Maybe there is a simple explanation, but I just can't see it. I greatly appreciate any assistance!

6.gif

I chose B, but the correct answer is A

5.gif

I was between C or D..leaning more towards D. However, both were wrong. The answer is A.

13.gif

I chose D, yet the answer is A.

8.gif

I chose C, but the answer is D.

That has got to be the worse problem sets. reminder to self not to get Crack Dat

also i am confused about what you said for that previous problem because in this problem
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/orgodd0001.jpg

you have cubes connected only at the corners and the correct answer to this question is C so , i guess you can have cubes connected only at the corners, and it doesn't matter if its continuous or not, because in this case obviosly its not continuous...please clarify

Answer is C with 3 sides, if a cube is stacked but not visible, you count it. if a cube is not stacked and is not visible you don't count it. and for the example above, you cannot rule out there is not a cube in that whole or not. If it looks like there can be a cube, then there is one. It's not hidden so you can count it. If it was hidden you can ignore it but it's in plain sight so count it!!

got another question
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/orgodd0001-1.jpg

answer is B but how would the frond and end view look like if the answer was D, ie what do we have to change about the front and end view to make the answer D?
thanks

Which book is that question from? It don't think that you can assume that there is nothing in the middle, it should look solid and keep on going towards the bottom. The answer can be both of those depending on what the author tried to draw out. It could of been a continuous whole and the whole kept going towards the end or it could of stopped where the cylinder stopped and have a upside pyramid attached to it. It would of been more clear if the cylinder was extended to cover the end of the pyramid because there is no way to tell if it's hollow or solid.

can anyone explain this problem???
thanks

I think the key is off, if your good an angle ranking, this is the same thing as angle ranking. Find the one with the closest angle to the picture as well as the same length in sides. E looks to be the closest, second would be C but the angle is way tooo sharp, It's not B because the ends get wider, so the rectangle should be a little more wider to be correct. D is definately incorrect, the angle is little too big and the side lengths aren't even, one is longer then the other. E is the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRNA
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/keys.jpg

need help with this

can anyone explain this problem???
thanks
Wow this one is a very good question.
I could argue between D and E but the answer should be D. Seriously, if this came up on the real DAT, I would just skip or choose E and move on because this question also deals with angles

D is possible when you look at it straight from the front.
Because the back side extends more so than the front, the image of D would be created.

E would be the next best answer, but if you look at the cleavage angle, the angle on E is a bit bigger than the diagram.

If something like this came up on the DAT, it would take me at least a minute and half to decide what is correct...mark then come back at end to guess between D and E if not enough time LOL

There is no way to look at it straight to the front, you would get an image like B if you look at that straight in the front. The other possible method is top or side view. Top view would leave you with a rectangle, if you have ruled that out then your left with a side view. Look at the angle and see how sharp or wide it is and then see if the lengths of the ends match up. Thats all you have to do. D, the lengths are equal, but in the picture, one is definately longer then the other. This narrows it down to C and E. C, angle is too sharp and the lengths are too big which leaves it with E.

Another way of doing hole punch is to try punching that same hole on the previous picture. If you do it one hole at a time, and try to put it back on the previous fold. Once you find the quadrant the hole is in, follow the folds, one at a time. Once you do that, put the hole on the previous picture and keep repeating till you get the answer.

doesnt look like a mistake to me, there's a cube there.

think of it this way, the cube you have circled is only 1 high, and towards the northwest they stay 1 high. directly SW of that cube there's a stack 1 high, and then a stack 2 high attached to it. Directly SE of that cube is a stack that is 2 high, and then a stack that is 5 high.

It's a mistake, there shouldn't be a diagonal line there since the top of it indicates a cube. If there was no top of that cube, then the diagonal line is correct but there is indication of a cube and a line dissecting the cube in half.

Can someone help me out with these two please:

Thanks

ei5nv5.jpg

259h2z4.jpg

For cube counting I got 1-1, 2-2, 3-8, 4-5, 5-2 so answer is 8 cubes have 3 sides

A is a top view, B is a front view, C is a side view, D is a top view and E is a front view.
You start eliminating and the answer should be C, side view of the thing.

Can't be C. D looks just about right. Anyway you turn the figure, the shape of C would not fit.

Turn it so the that your looking on it's side. It's easier to see if you take the back side of it with the flat ends instead of the angled ends.

Question!!!

27303257.jpg

A is the answer

So my question is, why is B wrong? I can't find what part is off :\... Though I can see A is fine as well so, yeah, i is confused :\

Question!!!

27303257.jpg

A is the answer

So my question is, why is B wrong? I can't find what part is off :\... Though I can see A is fine as well so, yeah, i is confused :\

Look carefully at the black rectangular strip down the middle. And then look at your choice B. You will see that the unfolded picture has a black rectangular strip - small white square and small white square, in that order. Now look at B, white square on top (correct), black sqaure (incorrect, should be white), black rectangular strip in middle then white square on bottom (incorrect should be black). If you switch that black square on B with the white scare opposite of the black rectangle down the middle, the answer would be correct.

Last edited:
Look carefully at the black rectangular strip down the middle. And then look at your choice B. You will see that the unfolded picture has a black rectangular strip - small white square and small white square, in that order. Now look at B, white square on top (correct), black sqaure (incorrect, should be white), black rectangular strip in middle then white square on bottom (incorrect should be black). If you switch that black square on B with the white scare opposite of the black rectangle down the middle, the answer would be correct.

AH! I think I've got it... well, it wasn't as much a problem of lining up the boxes, because it seems that B has the same black-white-white sequence, just from the bottom. That being said, when I folded up the picture (into the paper), I realized that for you to be looking at the front, when the object is pointing right, then the front would have to be shaded... whereas if the object was facing left and the front was white, THEN B would be right.

Correct?

And boy that took a straight 5 minutes of just staring at it and continually folding it lol. I don't know how I'd manage that one on the actual DAT, probably just get it wrong like I did :\

AH! I think I've got it... well, it wasn't as much a problem of lining up the boxes, because it seems that B has the same black-white-white sequence, just from the bottom. That being said, when I folded up the picture (into the paper), I realized that for you to be looking at the front, when the object is pointing right, then the front would have to be shaded... whereas if the object was facing left and the front was white, THEN B would be right.

Correct?

And boy that took a straight 5 minutes of just staring at it and continually folding it lol. I don't know how I'd manage that one on the actual DAT, probably just get it wrong like I did :\

Best way to do it is have a focal point. Mines was that big side. Then you just find the pieces that goes together with it and fill it in until you match it up. If one piece doesn't match up, you can cross it out and move on to the next piece until it matches.

hmmm tough one... I agree with you that A is possible... I think I even like it more than E lol. It might be that the keyhole isn't tall enoug... I dunno about this one dude

In my opinion, I think A can't be the answer, b/c the bottom shape, if you will, is not a perfect rectangle, the outer side boundaries of the object are kind of slanted. In other words, the view would be a rectangle with slanted sides

Question!!!

27303257.jpg

A is the answer

B is wrong here, cause for the white triangular thingie to be facing front like in B, the bottom part of the main image has to be on the top. Thus, in B, the top block should not have a shaded region.

im sorry but i really dont understand how this can be C and not D... the top view seems to show that this is D

Yes, it cannot be C because the top view does not indicate something sticking out to show an angled surface. If there was an indication, the top view should have 2 solid lines to the right of the image. This indicates that the end view has a flat side in the center and the answer is D not C.

Guys how do you take a screenshot from CDP problems on windows 7? I am trying to post a question but I don't know how to get a picture of it.

can someone help with this one please? Looks like I am missing the most simple ones and my test is in 2 days :(
Untitled.gif

can someone help with this one please? Looks like I am missing the most simple ones and my test is in 2 days :(
Untitled.gif

Answer is A, you can eliminate C because it's upside down, and B because in that version, The front is flat and top view shows the front is pointy so B is the backwards version of the right answer. Answer D is only plausible if it's a triangular rectangle if you get what I mean. This is a very basic picture, you should be able to guess it in seconds.

Untitled.gif

Is it A? Do line counting - look at the top view. It shows there should be 3 lines on the front view - two coming from the edges and one from the middle point, which A has.

Ok, so I am completely brain dead when it comes to pattern folding. Anyone have any tips or approaches to pattern folding? I mean, I feel like my brain is infested with prions when I see pattern folding - help!

Is it A? Do line counting - look at the top view. It shows there should be 3 lines on the front view - two coming from the edges and one from the middle point, which A has.

I am confused about the count-lining. Don't I count 3 lines for D in the front view? 2 for edges and 1 from the middle?

Can someone please help with these?
keyhole2.png

Isn't the top right of D too big to be the right answer?

keyhole3.gif

why is this B not D :confused:
keyhole4.gif

How can this be D??

Thank you all!

Can someone please help with these?
keyhole2.png

Isn't the top right of D too big to be the right answer?

keyhole3.gif

why is this B not D :confused:
keyhole4.gif

How can this be D??

Thank you all!

First one is D, A the front side and back side surfaces are reversed. You need to look closely again at A and you can see that it is definitely not the answer.

Second one is B and not D because the top and bottom of the pentagons are not angled. It's actually squared. It's like comparing the ends of a rectangle to the ends of a boat.

Third is D and not A because the curved end of the piece is fatter then the flat end of the piece. Also A can be eliminated easily because it does not curve up. You just need to look closely at A again and see why it can be eliminated. And E is assuming that both ends of the pieces are equal in size, but if you look closely to the right end. It is definitely fatter then the left end.

These are pretty straight forward. There are a lot more difficult ones out there that you need to focus on. This is just the tip of the iceberg, get these down cold and pray that the hard ones are not too complicated.

Bumping this thread because it is so immensely helpful. Where did Sama and 2th go?!

Bumping this thread because it is so immensely helpful. Where did Sama and 2th go?!

Sorry, studying for the DAT in <40 days.
If anything monumental comes up I'll try and address it, but other than that I'm most likely off the grid.

2thDMD (Justin)

YOu can not really tell, so I think you have to assume there is no cube there. I just know that in cube counting whenever you don't see a place, you gotta assume there is nothing there. In this case, we can't prove the presence of a cube over there, as it can be both. I would not count that one! Just my 2 cents.

But didn't you say that the object had to be continuous?
and for it to be continuous, there needs to be a cube there, no?

For cube counting I got 1-1, 2-2, 3-8, 4-5, 5-2 so answer is 8 cubes have 3 sides

A is a top view, B is a front view, C is a side view, D is a top view and E is a front view.
You start eliminating and the answer should be C, side view of the thing.

Is it just me or does the cubes look weird? I feel like there are lines missing? None of the cube counting looks like that on the Kaplan Bluebook...Is the real PAT like this?