My wicked sick PAT tutorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sama951

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, because I have an english midterm tomorrow that I don't want to study for, and because there's 600 posts about how impossible TFE is, and also because I'm good at TFE and feel like being a hero, I'm gonna make a little tutorial where I post a couple of them and talk you through the answer! After I do that, you can scan/post any other ones you want and I'll do my best to explain them. I don't use any weird strategies, I just look at the lines and visualize it in 3D. The tips and tricks you hear about might help narrow it down in some cases but if you can visualize it properly you'll be able to get every question every time.

Oh and excuse the fact that there's writing all over my examples, haha.

Ok first one..
Original.jpg

Alright this is a good example for explaining what solid and dashed lines mean.

I assume everyone knows what the different views represent... If not then think of it this way... Imagine a person looking into a camera lens.

A straight up mugshot of the person's face is a "Front" view. Now if you take the camera and move it up, then pivot it and aim it downwards, you've got a "Top" view. Now for the end view, take the camera and put it back in front of the person's face...then you'd take a side-shot of the person's left cheek (but since you're the camera man and you're facing them, you're moving the camera to your right side).

Ok great.

First, looking at the top view, you have one solid line that goes all the way across, from left to right. That means that from a side view, you're only going to have one change in height. Now remember that a straight line like that can mean a straight up drop in height, or it can mean there's a slope with a gradual decline. Looking at all the answers though, it's pretty obvious that we're not looking at any slopes. However, every one of the answers has a single drop in elevation on the top part, so that little bit of information isn't going to narrow it down too dramatically. But... dun dun dun.. look at choice C. Choice C does have a drop in elevation at the top, which is what we decided we're looking for, but it's got the drop at the position of one of the dashed lines (you can tell by the position and thickness of the notch). That's bad! I'm sure this is a trap some people fall into, but yeah, don't. Look at "Fig 1" to see which solid line I'm talking about and where it corresponds to a drop in height in each of the answers (green). Red line = danger = don't fricken do it. Dashed lines do not represent any changes in elevation on the surface they appear on (did that make sense?). Dashed lines are there to show you that there's some kind of height difference deeper into the object, or on the other side all together (what I mean is, it could be a hole that passes through the middle of the object, I'll explain more later if I find an example)

Fig 1
Fig1.jpg

On to the dashed lines we go.

So we've got three horizontal dashed lines on the top view. That means that somewhere in the object, you've got at least 3 extra "walls" (you'll see why I say 'at least' in a second). In other words, there's some kind of height change somewhere that isnt visible from the top. Based on the relative positions of the lines, you'll be able to figure out where the 'height' differences are supposed to be.

Let's compare this to the answer choices. Choice A has 3 walls that you cant see from the top view, D has 4. However, look at the orange line in Fig 2 with the question mark. This wall is lined up perfectly with the blue height change that we discussed above. Because of this, its dashed lines won't show up in the top view (for no reason other than the fact that if you draw a solid line on top of a dashed line...you get a solid line :D).

All the walls are spaced apart proportionally to the dashed lines in the top view of the original figure in A and D. Look at B though, it only has 2 of these "walls" that we established you couldn't see from the top. Look at Fig 2. Green = good, red = bad, blue = done, orange = tricky POS.

Fig 2
Fig2.jpg

Great, so we've narrowed it down to A or D. We've done about all we can do with the top view so let's go to the front view. Here we've got 2 solid lines, so from a head-on view, there's 2 height changes. From everything I've said so far about the top view, this should be really easy to figure out, so I'm just gonna include a final figure (green = solid lines and what they correspond with, blue = stuff we already talked about, red = why D is wrong, and orange = dashed lines and what they correspond to)

Notice also how high up the notches go in D, I've highlighted them in red. You should notice that these are way, way higher up than the dashed lines on the front view, so that's another way to eliminate it.

Fig 3
Fig3.jpg

Alright so after all that we can safely conclude that the answer is indeed C.

Just kidding...:rolleyes:.......It's A.

So yeah, that took way longer than I thought it would and I'm thinking it might have been too simple of an example to be helpful... I hope it helps someone though. If someone can find a really hard one they want me to go through post it here.

Oh crap.. exam tomorrow:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
Also people are having trouble on the angle problem.

I usually get 13 or 14 and sometimes perfect on crack the dat.

I don't know how? BUt I will try to explain. Basically, choose the smallest and biggest angle first. Then do process of elimination. You will usually get 2 answers that have the right smallest and biggest. Then what you do it quickly shift your eyes left and right between the two remaining angle. Don't look too closely for too long, it will just blur. Also, what I do sometimes is actually use my fingers (thumb and index) and place it over each angle and to the next one to compare.

Also, one trick I use is to ask myself" will this angle fit inside this angle?

and also if the angles are all in different direction, I would actually turn my head lol it will be funny at the testing center, I"ll be turning my head like some owl.

ON a side note, I just feel like i have a knack for it? Perhaps having to do with me doing art for about 7+ years? Maybe you should find some anatomy picture of a human body and try to copy the drawing. I find that really helps with judge how big a line is and what angles and such... just a thought..

What bonvivant said seems to be the best strategy for angle ranking. A good way to improve on these questions is rather then doing practice question from crack the DAT or Barons or w.e prep material. Get a protractor, and start drawing several pairs of angles that differ by 5 degrees and getting the feel of the differences between the pair. After you felt like ur comfortable telling angles that are seperated by 5 degrees apart, start drawings pairs that separate by 4 degrees... then 3 degrees. I have read many posts which say that angle ranking is impossible to master, but with hardwork anything is possible :thumbup:. Let me know if this strategy helps improve ur angle ranking scores, post back here, it sure helped me, strategies I use for this section is:

- Nesting or Parking angle (the smaller fits inside bigger)
- The hill method (As i learned somewhere on SDN)
- Imagining perpendicular lines to one side to tell if the angle is below or above 90 degrees when it seems to be really close.
- Scissors method (I extend both sides in my head so it makes an X shape, one end of X is the scissor handle, the other end are blades, wider the blades opened bigger the angle)

No one strategy works for all questions, i just use the one i am best comfortable with in a particular situation. Btw, this is MY FIRST POST!, i needed help with TFE, and i found this thread, its awesome!

can someone confirm something for me? Does the " line counting" method work for the ACTUAL dats? Should i be wasting my time learning it? Cause im trying to do it with the practice problems in the kaplan books and its not helping me at all....

Someone help ! thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. If someone could please post problems with line counting, and exactly which ones to count. What do you do with circles in circles? thank you.

I agree. If someone could please post problems with line counting, and exactly which ones to count. What do you do with circles in circles? thank you.

Start with my post #158 on this thread (it's on page 4).

I posted other tutorials after that as well.

2thDMD.

(Justin)

Last edited:
I was sent this thread to help me understand TFE and before I read it I was getting maybe 2-3 right on that section and after I was finally shown the light from this tutorial I was only missing 2-3!!! I took my DAT today and thankfully my perceptual ability score wasn't bad and that's thanks to you!

Best advice is what Ross is giving you in his videos for the angles:

Rapid glance technique

[Your focus should be concentrated on the two angles that you are trying to compare or however many you are trying to compare]
1) Look at the first angle without any distractions for a second
2) Look at the second angle w/o any distractions
3) Back and forth, back and forth go with your gut instinct by the 4th-5th second
[you have your answer]

I am also in the process of developing a new technique for the angles: the eyeballing technique with angles. Use your thumbs as rulers, DONT PUT THEM ON THE SCREEN, instead sit a little away from the computer, put the thumb over where you think the similar vertex is on both angles and determine which one is smaller/bigger

Try them out :)

it helps so much!! I was so bad at TFE I was getting like 3/15! now i'm up to 11! Thank you soooo much! Using both techniques will really help! I'm taking the DAT end of july or early august so hopefully i can improve even more!

it helps so much!! I was so bad at TFE I was getting like 3/15! now i'm up to 11! Thank you soooo much! Using both techniques will really help! I'm taking the DAT end of july or early august so hopefully i can improve even more!

Life is all about learning. I love teaching people about this type of thing because I innately understand it and it's relatively easy for me, and there is a nice feeling when the lightbulb goes on for somebody who previously didn't understand the concept(s). On the flip-side, I also love learning from others who better understand subjects that I struggle with.

Glad I could help.

2thDMD (Justin)

where do i get more practice PAT questions besides the ones offered at kaplan tests? i heard about crack PAT DAT. Is it a separate book?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
where can i get more practice PAT questions other than the ones i already have in kaplan?
thanks

Crack the DAT PAT is the best thing to give you problem based practice for PAT.

My 0.02 on angle ranking, I tend to just lean back from my chair and look at the angles and just go small to large. If there really close, I tend to compare the lines that make the angle and you can sometimes see one that is more/less steep compared to others.

Fig 3
diceorig.jpg

Can anyone explain me why D is not correct? If you fold it upwards/towards you so that the "5" is on the bottom that answer is possible....

Fig 3
diceorig.jpg

Can anyone explain me why D is not correct? If you fold it upwards/towards you so that the "5" is on the bottom that answer is possible....

This is one of those ones they try to trick you with...it looks "correct" at first glance, but you have to remember every side's spatial relationship to every other side.
While the "1" the "2" and the "4" are all touching (as they should be when this is correctly folded), the "1" and the "2" are reversed in answer "D" (i.e.: the "1" should be on the Right, and the "2" should be on the Left).

Visualize it this way...
  1. Look at the unfolded figure they give you.
  2. Fold down the "1", then fold down the "2".
  3. Now, all you're seeing is the "3", "5" & "6", correct?
  4. Now, visualzing the "1" and the "2" folded down,...think about where the "4" is...it's even further behind the plane of the paper than the "2" is, right?
  5. Looking at the "5", fold the "4" back up towards you so that it is parallel to the plane of the paper and parallel to the "5", thus creating a sort of base to this unfinished cube.
  6. The "1", "5", "2" and "4" form a 4-sided (open) cube, right?
  7. The "3" and the "6" are still in the plane of the paper with "5", correct?
  8. Now, since the "5" needs to be on the bottom (so that the "4" can be on the top, as seen in answer "D"), place the "3"/"5"/"6" combo face down on the table.
  9. Notice when you do that, that the "1" winds up on the Right side, the "2" winds up on the Left side, and the "4" winds up on top....choice "D" has the "1" and the "2" on the wrong sides.

I'll negate the other answers as well, so you can see the logic behind why "B" is correct.

In choice "A", there are two ways to see that it isn't correct:
  1. The easiest way is to see that the side with the "1" dot has the dot off in the corner...not centered, so that choice is automatically out.
  2. The second way is to look at the dots in "3" and their relationship to the "5". If you look at the unfolded pattern, there is a single dot on the "3" panel that is closer to the "5" and the other two dots are further away...in choice "A" there should be one dot closer to the "5" and two dots in the bottom left and right corners (much like the outline of a pyramid as seen from the side). This is not the case in choice "A", so that negates this choice as well.

For choice "C":
  1. Look at choice "C"...the "1" is on Top and the "5" is Left-facing, correct?
  2. Keeping that in mind, look at the unfolded pattern they give you.
  3. Fold the "6" panel down.
  4. Now put the "6" panel on the table.
  5. Now rotate the object so that the "5" is facing left, just like in choice "C".
  6. When you do that, the "1" is sticking straight up off of the "5" (like the second story of a building), right?
  7. Fold the "1" down.
  8. Now, with the "6" on the table top, the "5" Left-facing, and the "1" on top....the "2" and the "4" are face down on the tabletop coming out the Left-Rear side of the cube.
  9. If you fold them up, the "2" winds up on the BACK, not the front.

Choice "B" is simple to see if you focus what matters:
  1. Look at the unfolded pattern they give you.
  2. Choice "B" gives you sides "3", "5" and "6", right?....so, on the unfolded pattern they gave you, mentally block "1", "2" and "4" out of your mind.
  3. If you folded "3" down and "6" to the side, wouldn't you have choice "B"?
  4. Then you do a couple quick checks to make sure they're not playing a visual trick on you...
  5. First, look at panel "3" in the unfolded pattern....does it look like a pyramid pointing at the "5" panel?.....does it look like the "3" pyramid is pointing at the "5" in choice "B"?....Yes.
  6. Second, when you folded down the "6", the 2 lines of 3 dots would be parallel to the "3" panel, correct?....and they are that way in choice "B", so that is the correct choice.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the explanation! I figured that you need to fold inwards not outwards after I posted this -__-' You always fold inwards apparently.

Thanks a lot for the explanation! I figured that you need to fold inwards not outwards after I posted this -__-' You always fold inwards apparently.

You ALWAYS fold INTO the paper (away from yourself).
Once folded, then you can spin/rotate to find the correct orientation of everything.

Glad I could help.

Justin (2thDMD)

Thank YOU SOOO MUCH Justin!!! your tutorial helped me like no other to see the light! If there is anything I could do for you......anytime.

This is for Keypox and some of the others on the forum who have been asking about "Line Counting."
Keep in mind, Line Counting (most of the time) will help you narrow down your answers so that you can focus on the ones that are relevant.
In rare cases, Line Counting will negate all answers but 1....but that is very rare.
Sama951 has been doing a really good job explaining things verbally and sort of 2-D. It's hard to enough to see something clearly in your own brain, but it's even harder to then have to think of better words than "doo-hickey" and "thing-a-ma-jig" in verbal descriptions to get your point across to the viewer and get them to understand exactly what you are looking at/referencing in the picture at that moment.

Having said that, I worked up a problem from this thread using Photoshop to give a little more "3-D"-ness to some people who are still uneasy about visualizing things this way and don't know what "Line Counting" is.
I started off the tutorial at a VERY Basic level so that those who are too shy to ask about some of the things that most of us already know or take for granted, don't have to...they can just start from the beginning.
So, here is a "Line Counting" tutorial compiled into about 10 pictures.

I also worked up the Answer Figures in a 3-D animation/rendering program (that exports self-contained Flash videos), however Photobucket and some other sites are having trouble uploading them.
So, if anybody would like to see 3-D animations of these particular answers, let me know.

Justin (aka 2thDMD)

P.S. I too am studying for the DAT and will (as Sama has) TRY to take time out of my busy study/work schedule to answer/explain problems posted to the board...but as we all know, studying for the DAT takes precedence.

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-01.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-02.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-03.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-04.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-05.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-06.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-07.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-08.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-09.jpg

PAT-TFE-Problem19-FinalSequence-10.jpg

For the dice problem on the first page, how do we know if you fold it up or down? If you fold it up you can get C

could someone explain problem 16 on crack dat pat test 1? I cant figure out how to paste a picture into sdn.

thanks a lot

There is only one way to fold it.

If you imagine an unfolded die with 1 in the middle, 2 on top and 3 to the left and fold those down then when 1 is on the bottom 2 will be to the left of 3. If you fold them up 2 will be to the right of 3.

got another question
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/trna/orgodd0001-1.jpg

answer is B but how would the frond and end view look like if the answer was D, ie what do we have to change about the front and end view to make the answer D?
thanks

The reason it is B is because notice that pyramid projected from the bottom is a solid piece coming off the bottom. it cannot be hollow piece because there would be no support to it so knowing that it is a solid piece is enough evidence to see that the lines on it have to be dashed because you would not directly see the lines looking from the top view.

Could you explain why C is wrong in the first example and could you do another problem please?!!??! Thank you much!!!:D

Just curious but isn't the TFE method just line counting? If so, is it still useful for DAT? Seems like some test takers say that it is no longer as helpful

The method just isn't always consistent. If you are really good at it and getting most on CDP right using it.. go for it. But its a gamble because the method doesn't always work on the real PAT. The sure fire way is to get good as sing the object in 3D and understanding solid and dashed lines. Process of elimination is key as well on this section.

Dont rely only on the line counting method. It doesn't work for some problems.

I was able to do A LOT of CDP with the technique. When I took the test about a year ago, they ALWAYS gave 2 or more answers that it could be with using the line counting technique. It will not work!

Ahh, all the PAT practice memories from this thread are coming back hahaha
But yeah
Just curious but isn't the TFE method just line counting? If so, is it still useful for DAT? Seems like some test takers say that it is no longer as helpful

As others said, don't rely on just line counting for TFE as on the real DAT it will leave you with a couple of answer choices for some. It definitely helps though!

[/B][/COLOR]

Nice that you noticed that! I was gonna say how come the last row is not contiuous. But, Are you sure the structure should be continuouts?
P.S I agree with Sama. These are bewildering and will only bring up confusion.
say wuuuuut? so...there IS a cube or NO cube? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

EDIT: this question with picture shows up on forum page 3! please if you know the answer let me know! Got DAT in 2 days........................................!!!

Last edited:
Excellent technique. Can't thank you enough. :bow:
Glad it helped.
PAT is something that just comes naturally to me. That coupled with my desire to teach/explain things to others who want to learn made this a fun (albeit time consuming) project. My hope is that it will be a good teaching tool for all of the pre-dents who follow.

If anybody has any brain-benders they just can't crack or wrap their brains around, post them and I'll give it a go (provided I have the time...I've worked 98 of the last 101 days in an effort to pay off my pre-dental-school loans before I start dental school, so my time is limited). However, if I have the time, I'll work out an explanation to help out those that are really stuck on something. Most likely it won't be Over-the-Top-Photoshop or 3D-Animation explanations as in the past, but I should be able to verbally walk you to the correct answer.

Best of luck to all of those still sitting for the DAT.

2thDMD (Justin)

Do you offer any suggestions on killing the pattern folding section? I seem to struggle with this hardcore >_<